• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So you like to suffer too eh?

Don't worry though we'll be winning the World Series in 2 years!

Dat young pitching.

So many other Mets fans here, I suppose we all like to suffer. Try not to get your hopes up, all our pitchers will break their arms or something, just watchn

Confirmation that we will be the Mets, Jets, Nets, Devils of the market

Not that I'd mind since I'm a Mets and Devils fan but at least they're not corporate shill :(

Oh wow a devils fan?

I've lived in NJ for the past 17 years and not once have I ever met a single Devils fan in person. Always Flyers or Rangers.

Osorio

So many other Mets fans here, I suppose we all like to suffer. Try not to get your hopes up, all our pitchers will break their arms or something, just watchn

There'll be a season-ending strike after we have a 10 1/2 game lead in the division

That or we'll score 42 runs the whole season with the way we've been playing recently.

Also, I just found out I have Fox Sports 2. I'll be watching DC hopefully bulldoze Waterhouse in front of 1,200 Screaming Chickens

Osorio

Oh wow a devils fan?

I've lived in NJ for the past 17 years and not once have I ever met a single Devils fan in person. Always Flyers or Rangers.

If you're a Union fan does that mean you live in South Jersey?

I noticed most Devils fans are from Central Jersey and the northwestern counties

I don't know many Devils fans either but I live in a Latino community. Nobody knows anything about hockey. There isn't even a word for puck in Spanish.

If you're a Union fan does that mean you live in South Jersey?

I noticed most Devils fans are from Central Jersey and the northwestern counties

I don't know many Devils fans either but I live in a Latino community. Nobody knows anything about hockey. There isn't even a word for puck in Spanish.

Yeah I am in South Jersey so I guess that skews it a bit since this is Flyers country. It just seems like a weird place for a team (especially in the coming years when the Islanders move to Brooklyn).

Osorio

Yeah I am in South Jersey so I guess that skews it a bit since this is Flyers country. It just seems like a weird place for a team (especially in the coming years when the Islanders move to Brooklyn).

It won't be a problem. North Jersey has like 5 million people, and has one of the highest income per capita in the country. I don't think the Devils will ever have fully sold-out seasons but the fanbase will be large enough to sustain itself.

Sorta like the Red Bulls. Even if NYCFC becomes the city's team there's still plenty of people to make RBNY viable. North Jersey is like the 3rd biggest hotbed for youth soccer behind SoCal and North Texas.

People seem to forget that a team with hardly any success in 19 seasons and is named after a fucking energy drink still averages over 18,000 people a game.

It won't be a problem. North Jersey has like 5 million people, and has one of the highest income per capita in the country. I don't think the Devils will ever have fully sold-out seasons but the fanbase will be large enough to sustain itself.

Fair enough. I haven't been too big into hockey so most of my info is shaped by anecdotal evidence.

Sorta like the Red Bulls. Even if NYCFC becomes the city's team there's still plenty of people to make RBNY viable. North Jersey is like the 3rd biggest hotbed for youth soccer behind SoCal and North Texas.

People seem to forget that a team with hardly any success in 19 seasons and is named after a fucking energy drink still averages over 18,000 people a game.

All in all I feel like everything would be better if NYC gobbled up that part of New Jersey and Philadelphia gobbled up my area. Then the Red Bulls would be in New York City!

Side note: I wish the open cup final was before the Union Red Bulls game. The stadium would've been so much fun for that game if the Union won open cup and then played NY.

Osorio

All in all I feel like everything would be better if NYC gobbled up that part of New Jersey and Philadelphia gobbled up my area. Then the Red Bulls would be in New York City!

Side note: I wish the open cup final was before the Union Red Bulls game. The stadium would've been so much fun for that game if the Union won open cup and then played NY.

Or...they could just become a Jersey team :)

Garden State FC

Or Metro...

Or...they could just become a Jersey team :)

Garden State FC

Or Metro...

Some day it would be cool to see different style names other than [city name] [team name] [fc/sc/united]

Garden State FC would be awesome. Although I would like to see more SC rather than FC because I feel like it's more 'american'.

xbhaskarx

Not a bad half from one of the worst lineups we could put together with our roster.

Wow you weren't kidding:
G Joe Willis
D Nana Attakora
D Conor Shanosky
D Kofi Opare
D Alex Caskey
M Collin Martin
M Lewis Neal
M Jared Jeffrey
M Kyle Porter
F David Estrada
F Eddie Johnson

If they had Conor Doyle instead of EJ... or maybe EJ is bad enough for this lineup.

Quakes Starting XI: Busch, Stewart, Hernandez, Bernardez, Harden, Harris, Cronin, Koval, Salinas, Thompson, Wondo. #Quakes74 #SEAvSJ

Tommy Thompson getting the start.

xbhaskarx

^ So basically $2.7 million a year... that seems reasonable given his age. But I still don't see how that makes sense for Chicago. They're not going to be contending in the next 18 months, certainly not in the second half of this season. Revs makes sense though, although they still have problems at forward.

- Galarcep on Goal.com: Sources: Jermaine Jones deal with MLS hits snag
A deal to bring Jermaine Jones to Major League Soccer has hit a snag after the league's unwillingness to ensure which club he would join, sources have confirmed to Goal USA.

U.S. national team midfielder Jermaine Jones has reached an agreement on financial terms on a contract with Major League Soccer, but that may not be enough to keep his chances of coming to MLS from vanishing in a cloud of league bureaucracy.

Sources have confirmed to Goal USA that Jones has agreed to a contract structure to join the Chicago Fire, but because MLS cannot guarantee that Jones will be allocated to the Fire, contract talks with MLS have hit an impasse, and no contract has been signed.

Thompson had a few nice moves vs Seattle, hopefully that keeps him in the Quakes lineup.
With Djalo and MPG still hurt, I'd hope Watson would keep on playing him. I thought he was very good in the first half but slowed down as he tired in the second. The odds of the Quakes making the playoffs right now are very slim, so I'd just play the kids. However, Watson is likely playing for his job, so he'll probably stick with the veterans as much as possible. :/

Askani

Just sign him to fucking Chicago! How is it this complicated? Chicago wants him, he wants to go to Chicago.

They have rules. It's very important that the league sticks to the rules. Except for when they don't. They should almost always follow the rules...mostly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
#JermaineJonesWatch

Jermaine Jones ‏@Jermainejunior 4m
The rumours that I signed with mls are not right!!!​

You'd think it wouldn't be this hard to sign a player, but here we are. It's good for MLS if he comes over, good for Chicago too. It's not like MLS doesn't have a history of bending the rules, this is embarrassing.

Nyx

Rubio Rubin on his debut:

FC Utrecht – Willem II. It’s a game never to forget for 18 year old striker Rubio Rubin. The American attacker made his first appearance in the Eredivisie and for FC Utrecht in that match. He talks about his debut exclusively on FCUtrecht.nl.

A smile appears on Rubio Rubin’s face, just thinking about the moment he found out he was going to be part of the starting eleven for FC Utrecht in the game against Willem II. “It happened on the training pitch”, he recalls. “The coach handed me a jacket, that indicated that I was a part of the starting eleven. ‘This is my chance. I have to take it’, was what I thought.”

As the game against Willem II came closer, trainer/coach Robby Alflen talked to the striker from Beaverton, Oregon. “He told me that I had to enjoy the game, like I always do”, Rubin says in the canteen of the Zoudenbalch training centre in Utrecht.

And there it was: Sunday August 17, a couple minutes before kick-off. The game was about to start. Rubin’s first appearance was about to happen. “I wasn’t scared at all. I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I’d be, too, thanks to what the trainer told me before. I guess ‘excited’ is the best word to describe my feeling at that moment. ‘Enjoy the game’, I was thinking. ‘Play with passion, work hard’. As I was walking onto the pitch, I had butterflies in my belly.”

During his first game at the highest level, the American with Guatamalan and Mexican roots, didn’t even have time to be nervous. It was a matter of giving it his best, during the whole 90 minutes. It paid off: 2-1. “I enjoyed it very much”, the striker says, looking back on his first Eredivisie appearance. “Of course there is room for improvement. I’m a striker, I’m supposed to score goals. I didn’t do that against Willem II. But the rush of playing in Stadium Galgenwaard was huge. It was right after the game that I took the time to actually enjoy the atmosphere. We were giving each other high fives in the center circle and in the meanwhile, I was looking around, absorbing everything. Al those fans… Wow… ‘This is it. This is pretty amazing’, is what I thought. Last season, when I was on trial at FC Utrecht, I watched their games from the stands. I said to myself that one day, I want to be on that pitch rather than in the stands. Now I was there!”

“It was really nice to read all of the positive messages I got on Twitter and Instagram after the game”, Rubin continued. “Those messages gave me even more confidence. My phone just kept buzzing! When it was ringing over and over again, I realised I had to stay down to earth. That’s what my father always told me. Back home, I called my parents. They didn’t see the game, as it was played during the middle of the night back home and they had to go to work the day after. Obviously, they were very proud of me. Hopefully, they’ll come to The Netherlands to see me play soon.”

Playing in the Eredivisie; only few teenagers get to do that. Rubin realises that. “It all went pretty fast the last couple of weeks. I was added to the first team coming from the U23’s, because of some injured first team forwards. At some point, I realised that my chance would come. With my teammates, I enjoyed the game against Willem II. Now I have to keep working hard, staying focused, eat well, take my rest when I need it and hopefully, then there will be more playing minutes in the first team of FC Utrecht for me.”

xbhaskarx

Leiweke “plans to pursue his goal of owning and operating his own business following his departure,” according to a press release.

Prediction: Leiweke joins the Beckham ownership group.

Askani

U.S. Soccer ‏@ussoccer 1m
.@TimHowardGK is taking a #USMNT break (but not retiring!) until Sept. 2015 to spend more time with family.​

Washingtonpost.com said:
Tim Howard, the U.S. goalkeeper who set a World Cup record for saves in a match this summer, is taking a break from the national team.

Citing a desire to spend more time with his wife and two children during lulls in Everton’s Premier League schedule, Howard will not make himself available for friendlies or next summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup. He plans to resume his international career in September 2015, although U.S. Coach Jurgen Klinsmann said Howard would need to “prove that he deserves to be back.”

More at link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...d-taking-break-from-u-s-national-soccer-team/

Goal.com said:
After conversations with U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann, the 35-year-old goalkeeper has decided to step away for a year to spend time with family.

If you are a U.S. national team fan who has been looking forward to the chance to see Tim Howard play for the U.S. for the first time since his amazing performance against Belgium in the World Cup, you are going to have to wait a while.

Howard has decided to step away from the U.S. national team set-up for the next year, U.S. Soccer announced on Thursday. After conversations with U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann and his club manager at Everton, Roberto Martinez, Howard has decided to step aside in order to have more time to spend with his family and also to cut down on the grind he has been on with the national team for the past eight years.

“Having played overseas for the last 12 years and missing out on spending time with my family, making this commitment to my family is very important at this time,” said Howard. “I am grateful for the willingness of both Jurgen Klinsmann and Everton manager Roberto Martinez to afford me the opportunity to spend time with my kids. It’s the right decision at the right time. Jurgen has always been up front with all the players in saying you have to earn your place, which is something I agree with, so I look forward to coming back next fall and competing for a spot.”

More at link: http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...es-break-from-international-play?ICID=HP_BN_1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom