• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Grant Wahl for SI: Tim Howard to take one-year break from U.S. national team
“Having played overseas for the last 12 years and missing out on spending time with my family, making this commitment to my family is very important at this time," Howard said in comments released by U.S. Soccer. "I am grateful for the willingness of both Jurgen Klinsmann and Everton manager Roberto Martínez to afford me the opportunity to spend time with my kids. It’s the right decision at the right time. Jurgen has always been up front with all the players in saying you have to earn your place, which is something I agree with, so I look forward to coming back next fall and competing for a spot.”

Howard, who will suit up for Everton to face Arsenal on Saturday, will be available for selection to the national team again starting in September 2015, with the start of World Cup qualifying and the combined Copa América set to take place in 2016. And given how Klinsmann works, Howard will have to earn the top spot again, which is hardly a bad thing.

Competition for starting spots is always good on a national team, and one of the hallmarks of Klinsmann’s tenure has been the increased internal competition at every position on the field. Now Brad Guzan, the 29-year-old Aston Villa keeper, will get the chance he has been craving for a long time, an opportunity to stake his claim as the U.S. No. 1 between the posts.

“We had a very good and productive conversation," Klinsmann said. "I totally understand Tim’s situation. He was very straightforward and honest in his approach, and I admire him for that. He has a wish to take a step back to take care of his family, and we came to the conclusion that it’s absolutely fine that he takes time off from international soccer until after next summer’s Gold Cup, and then we re-evaluate. I told him as long as he is the same Tim Howard that we always see performing well, he will be welcome back with open arms and right back competing for a spot. He knows that he has to prove that he deserves to be back.

“This gives us a huge opportunity to see Brad Guzan and Nick Rimando going forward and fighting for the No. 1 spot. We have young talented goalkeepers with Sean Johnson and Bill Hamid, who have been brought along the last couple years, so this may give them a chance here and there to get some game time. Always when somebody steps aside for a moment, it gives an opportunity for the next ones in line. “

@BrianStraus said:
Good news. Multiple sources say MLS will have new brand ID, logo in '15. After 19 yrs, say farewell to the boot/ball.

HGrvduR.jpg

Osorio

So long Timmy

Excited to see Guzan as our no. 1 for the future.

Surely, Timmy can come back but Guzan is amazing, and we need to see who will be the future after him.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
That ESPNFC article made me feel optimistic for our future for some reason. Hopefully it works.

Please Timmy, no. ; _ ;

Hopefully Klinsmann doesn't give him the LD treatment.

That rumored logo I saw last week doesn't inspire confidence, imo. It looks like the Revs will be the sole reminder of MLS 1.0. Hopefully US Soccer does something about our awful crest as well.

That rumored logo I saw last week doesn't inspire confidence, imo. It looks like the Revs will be the sole reminder of MLS 1.0. Hopefully US Soccer does something about our awful crest as well.
Can you post it? I'm curious what it looks like.

The US crest is in desperate need of a refresh, too.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Jürgen Klinsmann ‏@J_Klinsmann 1m
Spoke a lot with @TimHowardGK & totally respect his position. Looking forward to watching him @Everton & having him available next fall !!

xbhaskarx

Wait so who is allowed to take a break from the US team and who isn't? I need a list to keep track...

Donovan: few months not OK
Chandler: qualifying OK
Howard: one full year OK

Osorio

That ESPNFC article made me feel optimistic for our future for some reason. Hopefully it works.

So much for Metro :(

I guess their ticket sales are getting better though. All the games minus the mid-week DC game for the upcoming future are "in the red". I think it goes from yellow to red around the 18,000 sold mark.

Also, our academy seems great, but when is that going to show on the field? Lade is just a versatility/depth guy, and Castano is third in line but Robles is the fucking man. I can see NYCFC taking Meara since he's a Yonkers guy. Then Castano will "get his chance"

Otherwise, there was Borrajo who is/isn't playing for the Cosmos, that Albanian kid that got cut after a few injuries, Agudelo's been gone, and I can't think of the other guys. We couldn't draft Dilly Duka but he's proven to be not that great.

Osorio

Wait so who is allowed to take a break from the US team and who isn't? I need a list to keep track...

One was a sabbatical from the game itself, the other a break from the national team.

Those guys didn't diss him at Bayern either...

daoster

Donovan: Right smack at the beginning of the final WC qualifying round (including an important one at Azteca)
Howard: Right after a long World Cup cycle.

Also, it seems like Howard actually spoke to Klinsmann about taking a break.

Also, while Guzan is a good back up for Howard in terms of skill, I wonder if his leadership abilities are as good as Howard's. That's a big part of Howard, beyond his goalkeeping ability. He's the general of the back.

Fabian Johnson with a start today at right back for Borussia Monchengladbach. I think I'll start abbreviating the team name as BM from now on.

Also, while Guzan is a good back up for Howard in terms of skill, I wonder if his leadership abilities are as good as Howard's. That's a big part of Howard, beyond his goalkeeping ability. He's the general of the back.
He seems to be doing great at Aston Villa. Undoubtedly, each keeper is different stylistically in terms of how they go about their business, but I don't think it'll be a problem for the USMNT.

Meier

R.e. Howard: It's not like he'd have played in the Gold Cup anyway. Realistically, he'll only be missing a handful of games that he'd have possibly even played in. With that being said, I think there's a possibility he could decide that he's enjoyed the time away and never come back to the USMNT.

xbhaskarx

Originally Posted by @BrianStraus

Good news. Multiple sources say MLS will have new brand ID, logo in '15. After 19 yrs, say farewell to the boot/ball.

HGrvduR.jpg

I'm worried about what they'll do, perhaps the disappointing Earthquakes rebrand has traumatized me...

I think they should keep the current logo with some minor changes... I like the one they already use for their iOS app

Just removing "Major League Soccer" improves it quite a bit.

black or red white and blue wouldn't be bad, either

@PCarrESPN said:
In the last 53 weeks, Tim Howard has played 52 official games for club/country, going 90+ min. in all but two.

Only games Howard didn't play 90+ in the last year: Dec. vs Sunderland (red card) & June friendly vs Turkey (halftime sub).

xbhaskarx

2014 "24 Under 24," presented by adidas, coming September 22-26

A 50-player short list (see below) was selected by a preliminary panel of MLSsoccer.com editors and external constituents, and then the larger panel rated the 50 players based on the following criteria:

Technical (skills, dribbling, shooting, first touch, heading, etc.)
Soccer IQ (positioning, reading game, etc.)
Physical Attributes (speed, endurance, strength, vertical leap, etc.)
Personality (marketability, media savvy, quotability, charisma, intangibles, etc.)
Potential (upside, national team potential, potential future transfer value, etc.)

2014 "24 UNDER 24" SHORT LIST

Edit: here it is by team...

Chicago: 1
Harry Shipp, Chicago Fire

Chivas: 3
Leandro Barrera, Chivas USA
Marky Delgado, Chivas USA
Erick Torres, Chivas USA

Colorado: 4
Deshorn Brown, Colorado Rapids
Shane O'Neill, Colorado Rapids
Dillon Powers, Colorado Rapids