• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Who would have thought a year ago that worst team ever DC would beat champions SKC 3-0 in Kansas City...

This pisses me off to no end. Not only their turnaround but the fact that they won a goddamn trophy even as the worst team in the league.

That's why I just signed up for next week's away trip. First away game since 2012 playoffs. They're a solid team, we're a team that's trying to solidify. Should be a great game, a good atmosphere, and hopefully no bags of piss thrown my way again.

Also, their stadium is shit but RFK is the only stadium I've been to where you can get pupusas.

xbhaskarx

Phillip Gyau watches his son, Joseph, make a name for himself

“As much as the father and the grandfather did, I think Joseph will surpass [them] — or maybe already has,” he said. “Joseph has a combination of both. I think Joseph is an extremely fast player, very technical.

“He's probably the total package, for me.”

And it's for that reason, even with Joseph's career just beginning to hit its stride, the Gyaus already have become somewhat of a model.

Five years ago, Phillip said, a father from Texas called him out of the blue. How did you train your son? he asked.

So Phillip told the man their story.

The lessons he'd picked up as a player. How the two started young. All those trips to Brazil.

Eleven-year-old Kevin is now at Barcelona.

Random mention of a kid no one knows about at Barcelona...

How bout actually explaining yourself when leaving a comment like that. I'll expand further since you're apparently incapable of doing so.

For one, it isn't done in any other league -- I'm certain if it was shown to a fan from anywhere else in the world that they'd laugh at it. .

Im sorry but once again, incredibly wrong. Is your sample size the premiere league? Where fans sit around and occasionally clap politely?

It's incredibly common to see confetti and streamers on the pitch in latin american matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y5opmGeJ4UA#t=333

xbhaskarx

But I still don't see how that makes sense for Chicago. They're not going to be contending in the next 18 months, certainly not in the second half of this season. Revs makes sense though, although they still have problems at forward.

As I was saying, Jones makes more sense for the Revs than the Fire. The Revs could make some noise in the playoffs with a dominant DM. The Fire are total crap right now, they need goal scorers and a whole new defense, Jones would not even be on the next good Fire team if he was only there for 1.5 years.

Blind draw? This league is so silly sometimes.

A blind draw, they should have televised that!

ATF487

Get in JJ! Bit strange to see the revs spend that much on a player, if memory serves that's about double the rest of the team's combined salary

ZZMitch

Get in JJ! Bit strange to see the revs spend that much on a player, if memory serves that's about double the rest of the team's combined salary

The only other player we ever had worth 500k or more per year was Shalrie Joseph lol (according to Straus)

Brave New World for the Revs it seems! Actually spending money on the team, thanks Kraft! Still came down a 50/50...

I assume he will be with the team for the game against TFC in Toronto on the 30th? I gotta go and get tickets right now!

Meier

Im sorry but once again, incredibly wrong. Is your sample size the premiere league? Where fans sit around and occasionally clap politely?

It's incredibly common to see confetti and streamers on the pitch in latin american matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y5opmGeJ4UA#t=333

You'll note that nearly all of that is OFF the playing surface. Sorry, not a good example. Or even slightly reminiscent of confetti covering the entire box in front of goal.

And MLS should have no interest in imitating or being compared to Latin American countries' leagues.

Osorio

There is confetti at games in Latinoamerica but it's made by the fans and thrown as part of the introduction of the team to the field. Not exclusively, but still.

Confetti showers after a goal is silly and contrived.

The only other player we ever had worth 500k or more per year was Shalrie Joseph lol (according to Straus)

Brave New World for the Revs it seems! Actually spending money on the team, thanks Kraft! Still came down a 50/50...

I assume he will be with the team for the game against TFC in Toronto on the 30th? I gotta go and get tickets right now!

He's getting introduced on Tuesday and will be in practice. If what they did with Tony Taylor is any indication, he might be on the bench to start on the 30th

I wish I was going up to Toronto now ;(

Osorio

Columbus heating up, Philly getting solid in net and in the back, New England getting Jones

I fear our playoff chances with our upcoming schedule :(

You'll note that nearly all of that is OFF the playing surface. Sorry, not a good example. Or even slightly reminiscent of confetti covering the entire box in front of goal.

And MLS should have no interest in imitating or being compared to Latin American countries' leagues.

The fact that you legitimately had no idea how prevalent streamers and confetti are in dozens of latin american leagues is enough to discredit that statement at the end.

How can you even criticize what you know nothing about?

Meier

The fact that you legitimately had no idea how prevalent streamers and confetti are in dozens of latin american leagues is enough to discredit that statement at the end.

How can you even criticize what you know nothing about?

a.) You'll note that nothing my original post says it isn't done elsewhere.
b.) Streamers and confetti are nothing alike as streamers are much easier to move from the pitch.
c.) MLS' goal should be to be on par in presentation and quality as European leagues. You are doing yourself no favors by repeatedly referencing anything related to Latin American leagues. This only reinforces that it looks amateur hour.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
b.) Streamers and confetti are nothing alike as streamers are much easier to move from the pitch.
c.) MLS' goal should be to be on par in presentation and quality as European leagues. You are doing yourself no favors by repeatedly referencing anything related to Latin American leagues. This only reinforces that it looks amateur hour.

I agree that we should be going for quality, but we should also strive to make the presentation represent us. It should be uniquely American, MLS will never get more popular if we blindly emulate the European leagues.

Very important 3 points there. Andrew Wenger played his heart out. M'Bolhi looked pretty good for his first game here.

the back to back Toronto games are a weird quirk of the scheduling.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Yesterday's game was incredible. Awesome to see history being made and watching a legend just be incredible.

A blind draw? Huh.

For one, it isn't done in any other league -- I'm certain if it was shown to a fan from anywhere else in the world that they'd laugh at it
Wut

I provided one video example. Are you judging the entire latin american football history by that one video?

c.) You are doing yourself no favors by repeatedly referencing anything related to Latin American leagues. This only reinforces that it looks amateur hour.

It's incredibly ignorant of you to keep doubling down on this ridiculous statement.

What part of the Mexican league, for example, is "amateur hour"? Is it the higher quality of play than MLS? The better ratings in the US television market? The larger and more well attended stadium? Or the better international record?

Or do you consider the Italian league as the gold bearer?

Osorio

Yesterday's game was incredible. Awesome to see history being made and watching a legend just be incredible.

Just caught the replay. Without Henry and Robles our team would be somewhere near the bottom of the table.

BWP's grown exponentially as a player since the season's started. His confidence at the moment is so fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom