• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good game from the reserves

Sene is dangerous

Perinelle looks determined

Sene did well, but he could easily have done better. He could have had a hat trick. It's probably just the rust though.

Cahill too, but that seemed to be more down to bad luck on his part. How none of those shots went in I will never know. Someone must have put a curse on him or something.

We should have run away with that game, I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us later.

- Greg Seltzer on the Geoff Cameron situation:
Multiple English sources have confirmed that English Premier League rivals Hull City, Leicester City, Southampton and Sunderland are still making Cameron overtures to the Potters, as reported by NBC Sports on Monday.

In addition, name-brand Serie A side Lazio could line up the 29-year-old Massachusetts native before the transfer window closes early next week, but MLSsoccer.com has learned that the Biancocelesti must first deal with a player sale of their own.

However, Cameron rep Gary Mellor informed MLSsoccer.com that Stoke manager Mark Hughes would prefer to hang onto the American, who went the distance in 40 of his 41 overall appearances for the boss last term. Cameron did not dress for the team's league opener, as the coach gave his World Cup 2014 participants an additional vacation, and remained a bench spectator during their weekend draw at Hull.

The main issue making it possible that Cameron would accept a move is that all but one of those Stoke matches from last season were played at right back, while he would rather take up a post in central defense or midfield. All four of the aforementioned interested parties from the EPL are looking to bolster their centerback stable.

In particular, Southampton look likely to stay in the Cameron race to its eventual end. Not only are the Saints looking to replace Liverpool summer recruit Dejan Lovren in the heart of their defense, but they are quite concerned about the growing transfer buzz around defensive midfield ace Morgan Schneiderlin.

Osorio

Sene did well, but he could easily have done better. He could have had a hat trick. It's probably just the rust though.

Cahill too, but that seemed to be more down to bad luck on his part. How none of those shots went in I will never know. Someone must have put a curse on him or something.

We should have run away with that game, I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us later.

Yeah it should've been 5-0 or so but at least we're already tied with Montreal on goal differential. The question is how our reserve squad will fare against their first-team. They have every reason to put out their best side in the remaining matches because they sure as hell aren't making the playoffs.

Also, I just want to add that i fucking love the left side of our attack when Miller and Oyongo play together. If only Sam had a competent offensive rightback to compliment him...

Crew are rebranding? Not a fan of this MLS 3.0.
I love it. MLS is slowly cultivating an image that handily outclasses other North American leagues.

I really think the league is transforming beautifully as teams pursue better names, better branding, and better, soccer specific stadiums. Some teams with weaker images could still use to make a similar transition to SKC (RBNY, Chivas, and imo the Earthquakes), and a lot of teams are still waiting on stadiums, but by and large the league is in a great spot.

I'm glad the days of the Wizards are gone, and I'm glad the league never went down the path of other US pro leagues by naming their teams after random animals.

Osorio

I had a dream that RBNY changed to the NJ Dons

Our mascot was the ESC skunk in a 3 piece suit with one of the guns with a drum clip shooting shirts into the crowd.

Not gonna lie it was pretty awesome. Our jerseys looked like the 96 Metro jerseys

imaging.aspx

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is this his first game since the Hamstring Pull Heard Round the US?

He's subbed in twice and has apparently been unlucky not to score. Last game the only complaint I read about could be attributed to not playing in a while. Here's hoping.

gutshot

Sunderland won their League Cup game 3-0. Jozy played the full 90 and had an assist.

Jonathan Spector (remember him?) also came on for Birmingham City in the 33rd minute.

Meier

Word of warning, no Keane tonight for the Galaxy. No Gargan either.. ugh, wanted those double points as I already have Michel out this week!

Incredible, second week in a row with an early goal for the LA Galaxy. Pretty lucky goal but Gordon will take it. It will be interesting how good the attack will be without Keane up in front.

I really wish they'd improve the quality of streaming via MLS Live. The video quality is pretty bad, but the audio is downright terrible.

I've never watched a game through cable/satellite. Is it this bad?

Goal for Omar off a corner kick. This time it was a volley instead of a header. It is nice to see Omar begin to be dangerous off set pieces again. So far so good.

xbhaskarx

Donovan with an assist, one closer to Ralston. He is everywhere... how's World Cup veteran Brad Davis doing these days?

I really wish they'd improve the quality of streaming via MLS Live. The video quality is pretty bad, but the audio is downright terrible.

I've never watched a game through cable/satellite. Is it this bad?

Maybe it's just you because it usually looks fine on my phone, TV, and computer. How is your connection?

Great half for LA Galaxy. Nice possession to get that 3rd goal from Husidic. Gordon has played well. Really impressed how he has been able to fit in with the team. When the La Galaxy is able to win the second and even third ball they are really dangerous. They are able to keep possession for long periods of time that frustrate the opposing team.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/08/expectant-father-aj-delagarza-facing-toughest-fight-his-life
It is unfortunate to hear that his son was diagnosed with this condition and hopefully everything will come out okay.

It is pretty cool watching Donovan get different gifts from the opposing team. DC United gave him a chair, which i think it is from their stadium, I am not sure, but it is still pretty cool. I am sure that all these different items will mean a lot to Donovan once his career is over.

Donovan with an assist, one closer to Ralston. He is everywhere... how's World Cup veteran Brad Davis doing these days?

Maybe it's just you because it usually looks fine on my phone, TV, and computer. How is your connection?

3719265787.png

That's from my PC. (Though usually I top 30, and Cox is supposedly doubling our speed. I'll have to see what's up with that.) I usually stream via my HTC One + Chromecast, but the quality's been the same the occasional time I've streamed from my PC.

The stream's video quality isn't too bad when the camera's directly over the field, but the second it pans over the crowd there's crazy amounts of macroblocking. Audio's pretty consistently compressed.

Edit: But I'm probably just spoiled by Netflix. I never watch broadcast TV, and only stream Netflix, Crunchyroll, and MLS Live.

A rumor I saw was that Barça were setting the parents up with cushy jobs to help make their kids "eligible." Probably not uncommon to be honest, but I'm sure it's against regulations.

I'm pretty sure that's it.

I've been following their story with interest and I always wanted to know how they got around the Euro Passport issue. The rules explicitly say that the parents cannot move to the country for "soccer" reasons and it has to be for unrelated business (how is that even possible?).

The dad had recently sold his business, so that provided them with the initial savings to live off from but I think the club also helped get them jobs, which of course is against the rules.

Basically it's pretty much impossible for a US player under the age of 18 who doesn't have a Euro-parent to play overseas full-time in youth academies. You'll see young players go on month trials for identification purposes, but if neither parent holds a Euro-passport, they'll usually head home in 30-60 days.

Askani

Well, that's that. Two Championship level clubs in two years. Wonder where he'll end up?

Middlesbrough FC @Boro · 36m
Middlesbrough Football Club have this evening parted company with Kei Kamara whose contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.​

Simon Borg ‏@SimonBorg 2m
Free agent … RT @Boro: Middlesbrough have this evening parted company with Kei Kamara whose contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.​

Nesotenso

Well, that's that. Two Championship level clubs in two years. Wonder where he'll end up?

Middlesbrough FC @Boro · 36m
Middlesbrough Football Club have this evening parted company with Kei Kamara whose contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.​

Simon Borg ‏@SimonBorg 2m
Free agent … RT @Boro: Middlesbrough have this evening parted company with Kei Kamara whose contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.​

Back here most likely. Do we have cap issues or roster issues? Bieler is going to leave anyway.

Askani

Back here most likely. Do we have cap issues or roster issues? Bieler is going to leave anyway.

He's probably a better option than Zizzo right now. I was high on the Zizzo train but that's cooled for me recently. Someone with leaping ability to receive headers in the box and actually do things with them when Zusi manages to get them in there would be nice.

Klinsi comments and some background:
In the first international match of the new cycle for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann is bringing together a roster that includes several newcomers to the mix to look forward to the next cycle.

The 22-player roster for the Sept. 3 game against the Czech Republic includes five players in search of their first cap in goalkeeper Cody Cropper, defender Greg Garza, midfielder Emerson Hyndman and forwards Joe Gyau and Rubio Rubin.

“It’s an especially good opportunity for us to look at the younger players based in Europe, which we don’t get to do very often because of their schedules,” Klinsmann said. “We can’t bring them into the January camp where we get to work with a lot of the up-and-coming talent, so for players like Joe Gyau, Emerson Hyndman, Rubio Rubin and Bobby Wood, it’s a great chance for them to experience our environment.”

While it remains to be seen as to whether they will get game time, the experience of taking part in the USA’s camp in Prague will bode well for them as they make their case in front of the U.S. MNT coaching staff.

“When you start a new cycle, you want to see as many new players, young players, breaking into the cycle as possible,” Klinsmann said. “Obviously you always respect your established players and you will always give them the space to continue their good work, but also you want to use that opportunity going forward to introduce young blood into the program and give them time on the training field, and in the real games and prove a point. Show us what you have. Show us your talent and be confident and go for your next level. This is what comes up now in the next couple of games, it’s about young players coming in and hopefully doing well.”

Several players have had a small taste of the National Team experience such as Ingolstadt midfielder Alfredo Morales and 1860 Munich forward Bobby Wood. Both earned their first cap under Klinsmann in 2013. Wood has started in all three matches for 1860 Munich to open the 2. Bundesliga season, and Morales is off to a solid start, appearing on the starting 11 in all three games and scoring a goal.

This young group has showcased its muscle at the younger levels. Cropper was the starting goalkeeper for the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team during the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey, competing in arguably the most difficult group of the tournament, including a 1-1 draw against eventual tournament winner France. Rubin, who signed with FC Utrecht this summer, is a U.S. U-17 Residency alum and the 2012 U.S. Soccer Youth Male Athlete of the Year.

The roster also features a four-man base of former Development Academy players: Joe Corona, Joe Gyau, Hyndman and Jordan Morris. Morris, who scored the game-winner for the U.S. U-23 MNT against the Bahamas last month, was the 2012-13 Development Academy Player of the Year for the U-17/18s with Seattle Sounders FC’s Academy.

“We are curious about the next generation of players breaking in,” Klinsmann said. “This is vital toward Russia 2018, that we communicate now, four years away. There is a path laid out, and as a player you have to decide at the end of the day if you make that path or not. The players have to have that drive, hunger and determination to go to the highest level possible.”

@BrianSciaretta said:
Don't expect another callup if Geoff Cameron can't go. US Soccer told me they knew about his injury before naming roster.

US Soccer also told me that Geoff Cameron will be coming to #usmnt camp and his injury will be evaluated by the team's staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom