• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyx

Good stuff for Rubin, his first professional game and his first call up for Team USA in just 2 weeks.

He was lightly injured last week but should be in the first 18 for the coming away game of Utrecht in Heerenveen on Saturday.

Meier

Love seeing Rubin, Hyndman, Gyau, etc. included. Good stuff. Not familiar with Garza but happy to see him get a shot!

xbhaskarx

Three years ago I would never have believed Greg Garza would get called to the full national team. I saw him with the U-20s in Georgia against Mexico and he looked like the worst player on either team. A stocky fullback who was way too slow, and the Mexicans are not exactly speedsters. Of course after Agudelo our most dominant player was Gale Agbossoumonde so you never know how things will turn out...

xbhaskarx

Chicago Fire add US youth international midfielder Collin Fernandez as a Homegrown Player

Fernandez received his first international call-up for the United States in January 2011 when he was named to the roster for the U-14 Boy’s National Team trip to Guadalajara, Mexico. Fernandez spent the 2013 Spring Semester at the US U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla. and was most recently part of the U-18 Men’s National Team roster for the 21st International Tournament of Václav Ježek in the Czech Republic, where he appeared in all three matches, scoring one goal and adding two assists as the U.S. were named tournament champions.

Fernandez joins midfielders Harry Shipp and Chris Ritter as the third player to sign a Homegrown contract with the Chicago Fire in 2014.

This kid looked really good with the U-18s...

Askani

Sporting Kansas City announced on Friday a formal partnership with Brazilian club Fluminense FC that extends through 2016 that will directly facilitate cooperation between the two clubs for player loans/transfers, academy exchanges and commercial opportunities.

"When we started the initial discussions of forming a partnership with a club outside of the United States, we were looking for a very specific set of qualities and opportunities,” Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. “We did not want this to be a marketing ploy. We wanted this to be beneficial for both clubs on the business and technical side.

“After meeting with Fluminense several times since the Disney Pro Soccer Classic in February, we realized that they were a perfect fit. We were aware of their club tradition and ability to produce world-class talent, but it was the common philosophy and vision shared between both clubs’ management that drove this partnership. We think there are many business practices that each club can share to better the other club promoting a win-win scenario on and off the field. Through this partnership, we'll be able to send players down to Brazil to gain additional experience and Fluminense will be able to do the same with us."

As part of the affiliation, Fluminense FC agrees to loan at least one player per MLS season to Sporting Kansas City. Fluminense FC will also loan other players to Sporting KC’s USL PRO affiliate(s). These loan moves will serve to further develop and showcase the players in the international market, while exposing them to a new culture and style of play.

In addition, Fluminense FC and Sporting Kansas City will collaborate on the exchange of youth players, academy staff and training/coaching methodologies over the course of the partnership. This alliance will provide opportunities for players within each team’s youth development system to live, train and compete abroad within the Academy system at the partner club.

Sounds promising. Very interested in seeing who they send and how they fare here.

Link: http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014...p-four-time-brazilian-champions-fluminense-fc

Nesotenso

We need to establish our own USL pro side and not be satisfied with having an affiliate. That's the way the league is headed and we need to do start considering it as well.

xbhaskarx

We need to establish our own USL pro side and not be satisfied with having an affiliate. That's the way the league is headed and we need to do start considering it as well.

I'm sure they will, in fact haven't they been talking about doing that eventually?

The team that *really* needs their own USL Pro side yet hasn't said anything about starting one is FC Dallas...

MLS games this weekend:

s9qjpG9.jpg

US U-20 roster for their upcoming Argentina camp:
United States U-20 Men’s National Team Roster:

Goalkeepers (3): Jeff Caldwell (Virginia; Todd, N.C.), Santiago Castaño (New York Red Bulls; Union City, N.J.), Evan Louro (Michigan; South River, N.J.)
Defenders (7): Conor Donovan (North Carolina State; Fuquay Varina, N.C.), Chase Gasper (UCLA; Alexandria, Va.), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Shaquell Moore (Unattached; Powder Springs, Ga.), Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City; Lee’s Summit, Mo.), John Requejo Jr. (Club Tijuana; Carpinteria, Calif.), Tyler Turner (Orlando City; Milford, Conn.)
Midfielders (5): Fernando Arce (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Gboly Ariyibi (Unattached; Arlington County, Va.), Russell Canouse (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim; Lancaster, Pa.), Luis Felipe (Cruzeiro Esporte Clube; Ouro Branco, Minas Gerais), Joel Soñora (Boca Juniors; Buenos Aires, Argentina)
Forwards (4): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Bradford Jamieson IV (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union; Dresher, Pa.), Tommy Thompson (San Jose Earthquakes; Loomis, Calif.)

xbhaskarx

Gboly Ariyibi (Unattached; Arlington County, Va.)

No longer unattached:

Gboly Ariyibi: Ex-Leeds winger joins Chesterfield

I don't know why Leeds didn't keep him...

Chesterfield FC story

Ariyibi ended the season on loan at Tranmere Rovers and left Leeds in May. He was offered a deal at Burnley after training with the Premiership club in pre-season but felt that he would have a better chance of playing first-team football with Chesterfield.

What's better at age 19, first team football in League One or not playing in the Premier League?

Meier

What's better at age 19, first team football in League One or not playing in the Premier League?
Burnley are almost certainly going right back down to the Championship, so he may have been able to break into their team next season. I probably would have taken that deal if I were him (they'd probably have looked to loan him out to a League 1 or 2 club anyway, but he may have been stuck with their U-21s) but if he has a breakout season for Chesterfield then he'll have a chance to move to a club in the Championship anyway. Fingers crossed for him!

Meier

Gio Alvarez has retired due to an undisclosed medical issue. Orlando City had re-signed him from RSL and he was going to be one of the players to make the jump to MLS. Will remain at the club as a youth coach.
Orlando City Soccer Club today announced that upon medical recommendation, Yordany Alvarez has retired from professional soccer effective immediately.

During the Lions’ home match on June 7th, Alvarez suffered from an undisclosed medical condition while on the field. Over the following weeks and months, Alvarez underwent a series of tests locally at Orlando Health, the results of which were supported by other top-notch medical facilities across the country.

“We are deeply saddened by this news, but Yordany’s long-term health and well-being must be at the forefront of any decision regarding his future,” said Orlando City President and Founder Phil Rawlins. “To that end, both the Club and the entire Orlando Health medical staff were very prudent throughout this process in making sure he underwent extensive examinations to determine the possible causes of his condition and to find the best treatment so he can continue to live a full life.”

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=2020

Askani

One hour rain delay. Geiger has been wildly uneven all game for both sides. No one on the field knows what the hell is going on. Pushing and shoving. Multiple yellows. TV crew apologizing for Vermes's cursing at the fourth official. Goal scorer injured on the goal and subbed out.

Madness.

Nesotenso

One hour rain delay. Geiger has been wildly uneven all game for both sides. No one on the field knows what the hell is going on. Pushing and shoving. Multiple yellows. TV crew apologizing for Vermes's cursing at the fourth official. Goal scorer injured on the goal and subbed out.

Madness.

Geiger gave everyone the deserved yellows and we have been terrible the past two weeks. Supporters Shield and conference top seed slipping away.

Askani

I had to mute the sound. I can't take the biased announcer anymore.

Geiger gave everyone the deserved yellows and we have been terrible the past two weeks. Supporters Shield and conference top seed slipping away.

I agree. The yellows were all warranted. I think he could have done better not letting the game get to that point.

Nesotenso

Some of our acquisitions are looking like stupid decisions. Claros, Steuble and Kafari. The last one being some sort of project...

Who the fuck is scouting this shit?

Askani

Some of our acquisitions are looking like stupid decisions. Claros, Steuble and Kafari. The last one being some sort of project...

Who the fuck is scouting this shit?

Like others have been saying and what we all knew, they have no answer for Uri leaving. I knew it was going to suck, but I didn't know it was going to suck this badly. I think Claros will be decent, but he isn't the answer. Stuebel isn't it. We have to get Nagamura back to healthy because he's the only chance we have of calming down the midfield.

We didn't play our game tonight. Everybody was just running towards the ball and trying to pound it forward. Never once did we try to hold the ball back and play it forward slowly and controlled on the wings like we normally do.

Hyndman looks solid in this match. It's the first time I've watched a full half with him. He isn't very flashy, but his touch is nice and he does a good job always showing for the ball.

In other news:

- ASN: Tab Ramos Picks 19 For U20 Camp in Argentina
As preparations continue for next summer's Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand, ASN's Brooke Tunstall spoke with U.S. coach Tab Ramos about the players he selected for a 10-day training camp.
Also, John Brooks is playing a full 90 today for Hertha against Leverkusen.

NoRéN

Yeah, commentators also mentioned it right after I posted.

Can't recall ever seeing Howard have a game like this. Early goal through the legs, handling the ball outside of the box, and he was lucky not to have been carded after standing up for the guy who scored the own goal.

lush

How many of those goals could Howard have really stopped? The defense looked awful. He was hung out to dry on most of them. He had one nice save one on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom