• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
- MLSSoccer: American Exports: Bayern prodigy Julian Green's loan to Hamburg confirmed
Bayern Munich wing prodigy Julian Green has now sealed a season-long loan move to Bundesliga rivals Hamburg, his agent confirmed to MLSsoccer.com on Sunday.

Originally reported by Sky Sports News HD in Germany, the move was completed late Sunday night after finalization of the details and a medical exam. There is no purchase option attached to the deal.

"Julian is going to play for Hamburg for one year," Green rep Katharina Schrott told MLSsoccer.com.

The US attacker, whose lone first-team appearance for Bayern came in last year's UEFA Champions League group stage, joins an HSV side with but one point and no goals from their first two Bundesliga matches of the season.

Green's first chance at a debut will come when Hamburg make the short trip to face Hannover 96 next Sunday.

Before that, though, he will join the US national team in Prague for Wednesday's friendly against the Czech Republic. Green has three caps for the USMNT, including one against Belgium at the 2014 World Cup, in which he scored on hsi first touch.

I think Pep screwed him here by keeping him with the first team too long. He should've been out on loan earlier to a better team in the Bundesliga than going to Hamburg where Mirko Slomka's going to be managing for his job and won't have Green's development in mind.

The Sinan Kurt signing from Gladbach is a worrying development as well, since both these kids would be competing for the same position, and Kurt supposedly has a ton more potential.

Really hope he succeeds and parlay it into an Emre Can type of loan experience.

xbhaskarx

Local kid (Redwood City CA) leaves De Anza Force for Tijuana...

Top Prospect :: Antonio Nava

OWTY :: What is the difference between the youth system in the US vs. Mexico?

AN :: The difference between the youth systems her in Mexico and over there in my opinion is that in Mexico they train you to get you to their first teams, but over there in the U.S you have to go through college and get drafted to a MLS team, which is okay, but when the goal is to play in college for four years and train only sparingly it can stunt your growth.

OWTY :: It seems like every day another American makes the switch to Xolos, how many Americans are there on the U14-U17 squads?

AN :: Yes that’s true! There are many American kids here at the club in every category, I’m not sure of how many but I know there A LOT!

Askani

Kansas City FC wins the NWSL Championship 2-1.

Highights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-yQt2xoew

The second goal from KC is great. Holiday receives the ball in the middle of four defenders. She controls and dribbles right between two of them and delivers a pass that gets planted in the net. Scene is completed with a Hope Solo mad face. Good stuff.

Blue Angels: FC Kansas City wins NWSL Championship

Amy Rodriguez and Lauren Holiday have been connecting for goals all season. Today was no different.

Rodriguez put in two goals while Holiday provided the assists as FC Kansas City won the NWSL Championship, defeating the Seattle Reign 2-1 at Starfire Sports Complex.

For the first fifteen minutes or so, Seattle was controlling possession and creating some opportunities. The Blues were able to hold defensively and not allow the Reign to get anything substantial towards goal.

The Blues went ahead in the 22nd minute by doing what they have been doing all season. Amy Rodriguez made a nice, off the ball move to get behind the Reign defense and get open for a through ball from Lauren Holiday. Rodriguez finished the open shot for the goal to put the Blues ahead 1-0.

Seattle, however, was a team used to playing from behind, having gotten a result in ten matches where they had fallen behind this season. They created a great chance in the 30th minute when Kim Little sent in a cross that met the head of Naho but it went just wide. Their dangerous attack would keep the Blues on their toes for the rest of the game.

The Blues almost doubled their lead in the 36th minute when Rodriguez received another beautiful through ball and shot near post but it went just wide.

Megan Rapinoe almost found an equalizer in the 41st minute when she took a curling shot from distance but it was saved nicely by Barnhart. That would be the last good opportunity of the half as the Blues took a 1-0 lead into the half.

Seattle opened up the second half looking for the quick equalizer and almost got it in the 53rd minute. Rapinoe was taken down just outside the box right in the middle. The ensuing free kick got past the wall but was right at Barnhart, who made the save.

FC Kansas City gave themselves some breathing room in the 56th minute with another great Holiday to Rodriguez connection. Holiday weaved in and out of the defense as she entered the far side of the box and found an open Rodriguez in the middle. Rodriguez was able to take the pass and finish it to the near post for her second goal of the game. This gave the Blues a very important 2-0 lead.

In the 63rd minute, Amy Rodriguez seemed to pull up lame after a collision with a couple of Reign players. She would come off and be replaced by Sarah Hagen. Rodriguez finished her FC Kansas City season with 16 goals, the most in FC Kansas City's history.

In the 84th minute the Reign almost pulled one back when Rapinoe rocketed a shot from the top of the box that hit the connection between the crossbar and the post. FC Kansas City was fortunate to not give up a goal there, the second goal from Rodriguez becoming more and more important.

The Reign did finally pull one back in the 86th minute. Following a corner kick and chaos in the box, Megan Rapinoe received the deflection in the middle of the box and put it in for the goal. This gave the Reign some hope going into the final five minutes.

The last few minutes of the game were filled with high tension as the Reign pressed hard for the equalizing goal. The Blues' defense, however, remained strong, as they held on to win the NWSL Championship in an incredibly exciting match.

This is the first NWSL title for FC Kansas City in the league's short history. This also completed the Kansas City trifecta with Sporting Kansas City winning the MLS Cup, the Missouri Comets winning the MISL Championship and the Blues winning the NWSL Championship. It was Vlatko Andonovski's second title as he is also head coach of the Comets.

With a star above their crest, the Blues will return next March to once again go for the NWSL title, now able to call themselves "champions."

Terence Boyd is at USMNT training in Prague today to check in with staff. He's training on the side.

Here's a few of the guys warming up:

MfVlWHT.jpg

Nesotenso

Nothing on him yet. Keep in mind that since he's on a free transfer he doesn't have to move today. The deadline for free signings is usually a few weeks or a month later than the transfer deadline.

oh, didn't know that, thanks.

If nothing in the bigger leagues is materializing, then why not go back to the Eredivisie?

I thought he was injured and on a long-term contract

Why would he be taking any bids in the first place?

Lots of rumours that he hates MLS. In my opinion he will leave after the season even if he stays now. I wouldn't even mind really because he gets injured way too easily and often.

Anyone want to take a crack at a US lineup for Wednesday?

Here's the roster:
GK - Cropper, Guzan, Rimando;
D - Brooks, Chandler, Garza, F. Johnson, Orozco, Ream
MF - Bedoya, Corona, Diskerud, Green, Hyndman, Morales, Shea;
F - Altidore, Gyau, Morris, Rubin, Wood

I'd go with something like a 4-3-3 of Guzan; Chandler, Orozco, Brooks, Johnson; Morales, Hyndman, Diskerud; Bedoya, Altidore, Green

Very inexperienced lineup, so I imagine the Czech Republic will roll, but we'll see what some of the younger guys have.

I thought he was injured and on a long-term contract

Why would he be taking any bids in the first place?
As added_time pointed out, he's apparently unhappy with playing here and looking to move back. With his injury problems, I imagine TFC are willing to move him for the right price. Supposedly the offers earlier today didn't go through because TFC didn't think they were high enough.

Osorio

Those are pretty vague rumors/sentiments from the Defoe camp.

I wonder what it is specifically that he doesn't like?

Defoe is staying at TFC. TFC turned down offers for him.

Google and Twitter shows nothing about anything discussed on the conference call.

Went to my first MLS game yesterday afternoon to watch the last clasico between Galaxy and Chivas USA. The StubHub Center is nice if a little plain. I was most surprised by how many kids there were. Easily more than any other sporting event I've ever been too. This must be a pretty high (and smart) priority for the MLS. Fun game to watch, especially in the 2nd half once the sun started going down and it wasn't sweltering. Highlight was the place erupting when Cubo got ejected. Keane's goal was a monster too.

NoRéN

Went to my first MLS game yesterday afternoon to watch the last clasico between Galaxy and Chivas USA. The StubHub Center is nice if a little plain. I was most surprised by how many kids there were. Easily more than any other sporting event I've ever been too. This must be a pretty high (and smart) priority for the MLS. Fun game to watch, especially in the 2nd half once the sun started going down and it wasn't sweltering. Highlight was the place erupting when Cubo got ejected. Keane's goal was a monster too.

You should have been there in the Beckham days. The amount of women in the audience screaming every time Beckham touched the ball could blow out eardrums.

Keane's goal was sick. But, the game did highlight one thing: L.A. needs a better hometown rival. Can't wait til the reset button is hit on Chivas USA.

Osorio

Depends on the market really. It was a Chivas home game and they're on pace to have the lowest average attendance of any team in the history of the league. Chances are with it being the final "SuperClasico" they wanted the game to be packed, and gave out free tickets to youth clubs from the area.

More successful markets have more of a young adult vibe. I'm guessing you'd see what I mean if you went to a Galaxy home game instead.

Osorio

I want to bitch more about yesterday's game but I see no point. It's just another example of the same shit we've been dealing with all year.

This year's been one long one-sided romance and we're the suckers.

NoRéN;128051933 said:
You should have been there in the Beckham days. The amount of women in the audience screaming every time Beckham touched the ball could blow out eardrums.

Keane's goal was sick. But, the game did highlight one thing: L.A. needs a better hometown rival. Can't wait til the reset button is hit on Chivas USA.

Yeah I'd say the stadium was maybe half full if I had to guess. Sorta surprised at how many Chivas fans there were though. They had decent support even in the relatively small crowd. Another strong team in LA could do great though I think. Especially if they get some big names aboard. I think the soccer population there is sort of asking for an "anti-Galaxy" to let people root for. I do wonder if whoever buys the Chivas USA will still try to go hard after the hispanic population.

NoRéN

Yeah I'd say the stadium was maybe half full if I had to guess. Sorta surprised at how many Chivas fans there were though. They had decent support even in the relatively small crowd. Another strong team in LA could do great though I think. Especially if they get some big names aboard. I think the soccer population there is sort of asking for an "anti-Galaxy" to let people root for. I do wonder if whoever buys the Chivas USA will still try to go hard after the hispanic population.

Seeing the general admission section complete empty was a bit sad. They have a good fanbase what with L.A being Chivas central. I also know a few dudes in my neighborhood that are part of one of the fan clubs.

MLS had a good idea with catering to the hispanic soccer fans with Chivas USA. The problem was that as soon as it was associated with Chivas, a big chunk of hispanic fans were alienated (America fans, but it did lead to some good times when Chicago came to town). If MLS is going to try that again maybe it should be something with universal appeal and not another chivas usa.

A revival of LA Aztecs would be amazing

I'd buy that jersey
Now, there's an idea!

xbhaskarx

Reading about this TFC drama...

All four trades that TFC has made so far – the acquisitions of Collen Warner, Luke Moore, Dominic Oduro and Warren Creavalle – were Nelsen moves, moves that Bezbatchenko opposed on each occasion

It didn’t help that, as a former player who left the QPR playing field in spring last year to take the top job at TFC, Nelsen had zero head-coaching experience when he arrived in Toronto, a fact that was exacerbated when eschewed the opportunity to hire strong assistants with long coaching resumes, instead choosing to hire some close confidantes and allies. That decision didn’t always go over well with his players, and both Defoe and Michael Bradley have expressed dissatisfaction with how training sessions are run in comparison with leagues such as the English Premier League and Serie A.

Bradley and Nelsen have had a rocky relationship at times, and after starting his TFC career with some sterling performances earlier this year, Bradley’s patience with Nelsen’s tactical acumen and methods began to run thin, with the pair having had to have private meetings to clear the air.

There were some comments today about how many of the MLS coaches are young former-MLSers with little head coaching experience these days. MLS is a tough place to find a quality coach that fits because I feel like the foreign coaches are typically overwhelmed by the differences between MLS and leagues abroad (arcane rule system, salary caps, travel times, playoffs, etc...) whereas the young guys they hire don't have much experience with, well, coaching (man management, running training sessions, etc...)

Here's the list of current coaches in case anyone wants to see their ages and backgrounds.

xbhaskarx

Alfredo Morales' two assists

JadedKeyFrog.gif

KindDarkChrysalis.gif

Bobby Wood's assist
ShockedSeveralDwarfmongoose.gif

He then blew a chance at scoring the game winner with Klinsmann and Herzog watching...

Osorio

I can understand bradley and defoes frustrations, but at the end of the day the only manager to ever win the league while being unfamiliar with mls was Gary smith. And that mls cup was so bad I'm not even sure I want to count it.

Brashnir

Perry Kitchen is having an excellent season. I wonder when he'll get a chance at the USMNT.

He's at a deep position right now, but the guys in front of him are mostly over 30, so I suspect it will happen in the not-too-distant future. He'll be in the thick of the competition for a roster spot for 2018.

Assorted tidbits off of Twitter:
Jeff Carlisle said:
Klinsmann also said Brad Guzan and Nick Rimando will split time against the Czech Republic on Wed. #USMNT

Klinsmann on Brek Shea's inabiltiy to find a new club: "He's stuck at Stoke...It's an absolute bummer. It's bad." #usmnt

To be fair, Shea could still move to a team in English Championship via emergency loan. We'll see what happens. #USMNT

(1/2) In a roundtable w/reporters, #usmnt mgr Jurgen Klinsmann says Donovan sendoff game "not awkward at all for me."

(2/2) Klinsmann said Donovan reaction at being left off WC roster inc. criticism of JK is "a good reaction. It shows he cares." #usmnt

Klinsmann says Jozy Altidore will captain the US vs. Czech Republic. #usmnt

Klinsmann says Mix Diskerud is ready take that next step, "but he has to" with younger players beginning to get noticed. #usmnt
Sciaretta said:
Klinsmann also said he is still in contact with German-Americans Shawn Parker and Devante Parker but that it is "casual" at this point

Jurgen Klinsmann said that he is seeing Fabian Johnson now more of a leader this cycle for the #usmnt

Klinsmann said Mix Diskerud is an "amazing talent" but he hasn't broken through yet. Tomorrow he will get an opportunity. #usmnt

- US U20 camp: Thompson is out and Gall is in
US Under-20 Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Jeff Caldwell (Virginia; Todd, N.C.), Santiago Castaño (New York Red Bulls; Union City, N.J.)

DEFENDERS (7): Conor Donovan (North Carolina State; Fuquay Varina, N.C.), Chase Gasper (UCLA; Alexandria, Va.), Luis Martir (Chivas de Guadalajara; Los Angeles, Calif.), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Shaquell Moore (Unattached; Powder Springs, Ga.), Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City; Lee’s Summit, Mo.), John Requejo Jr. (Club Tijuana; Carpinteria, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Fernando Arce (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Gboly Ariyibi (Chesterfield; Arlington County, Va.), Russell Canouse (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim; Lancaster, Pa.), Luis Felipe (Cruzeiro Esporte Clube; Ouro Branco, Minas Gerais), Junior Flores (Borussia Dortmund; Manassas Park, Va.), Romain Gall (Columbus Crew; Herndon, Va.), Joel Soñora (CA Boca Juniors; Buenos Aires, Argentina)

FORWARDS (3): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Bradford Jamieson IV (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union; Dresher, Pa.)

Scrimmage notes from the USMNT today:
@JeffreyCarlisle: Subject to change of course, but presumed back line looks like Chandler,Brooks,Orozco,Johnson. #usmnt

@JeffreyCarlisle: Also looks like Mix and Corona in center of midfield flanked by Green and Rubin. Jozy up top alone in this scrimmage. #usmnt

@BrianSciaretta: In the #USMNT inter-squad scrimmage going on right now, Joe Corona and Mix Diskerud are playing together in central midfield

@BrianSciaretta: The other CM pairing in the #USMNT scrimmage is Bedoya and Hyndman

@JeffreyCarlisle: Would be shocked if Bedoya doesn't start on Wed. tho. And just like that he scores. #usmnt

@BrianSciaretta: Julian Green with a goal now for the other team.. Nice cut in from the wing. #usmnt scrimmage

@BrianSciaretta: Jordan Morris is very active in this scrimmage. The Stanford winger does not lack confidence #usmnt

@BrianSciaretta: Klinsmann said Rubio Rubin was called up by Ramos for US U20s. Utrecht declined release so Klinsmann called him up to the full #usmnt

@BrianSciaretta: Klinsmann today said Zelalem still doesn't have US citizenship RT @gambyyy: what about Zelalem?

@BrianSciaretta: Morris looking sharp. I would not be surprised to see him get 20 minutes or so tomorrow. #usmnt

@BrianSciaretta: I've seen 18 year olds at this level before, but none that has ever looked as young as Emerson Hyndman. Looks 15, plays like he's 27 #usmnt

@JeffreyCarlisle: Guzan is putting on an absolute clinic here. #usmnt
Keep in mind that they're only playing 9v9 with keepers right now, so the formations will be short one player.

Meier

I think the Zelalem thing is dragging on too long.. not very optimistic. Still have 4 months (turns 18 at the end of January), but I'm expecting the worst at this point.

xbhaskarx

BrianSciaretta · 3h

One thing is clear, the Timmy Chandler at left back experiment continues for the #usmnt

And once again doesn't work so well...

BrianSciaretta · 3h

Hyndman with a really nice ball to Morales who beats Chandler then sends to Joe Gyau who beats Guzan with a low shot... nice sequence.

What will it take for Klinsmann to just try Chandler at right back and Johnson at left back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom