• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

San Antonio's proposed stadium expansion
toyota-field_1u5jg63x61kpo1nvstespvpw3i.jpg

toyota-field_1c0r8cy8s2n2817mat9h40y996.jpg

toyota-field_5t8bibgx7quk1nrrz3bk2lvri.jpg

The cost to expand Toyota Field is estimated at $38-45 million. Designed by Pro Sports Developments (PSD) of San Antonio, the expansion envisions the addition of 10,000 seats to the existing 8,000, with 9,000 of the new seats on a new upper tier that would create a bowl-like configuration around the playing field.

“A roof canopy above the new upper-tier seating would provide shade as well as amplify the crowd noise that Toyota Field is famous for,” Hartman explained. “This would rival the fan experience and atmosphere of any top-tier soccer-specific stadium across the country.”

Eighteen suites accommodating up to 24 fans apiece would be added to the east side of the stadium, bringing the total number of Toyota Field suites to 32. Plans also call for three new clubs – the East Club with 130 balcony seats on the east suite level, the West Club with 40 observation-terrace seats on the existing west suite level and a Members Club at the southeast corner of the stadium. Club patrons and suite holders would be allowed to use a new entrance directly across from existing reserved parking.

Other proposed enhancements include concessions, restrooms and merchandise outlets on each stadium level to efficiently meet the level of fan demand at halftime; field lighting for Division 1 network broadcasting; and a team store accessible from inside and outside the stadium.

PSD SportsArchitects
Did anyone happen to notice the abstract #Scorpion Tail incorporated into the @ToyotaField expansion redesign?

BwjdHtvCIAAe8r8.jpg

So, just got back from a lengthy sitdown with Scorpions owner Gordon Hartman. He has been cagey/cautious through this whole MLS process...

...still is to a degree. "Every element needs to be there, none of them can miss. Everyone involved understands that."

But this is by far the most confident he's been, with city support and outside investment both looking promising.

Hartman: "If I didn't think (MLS) was viable, I wouldn't be spending all this time trying to put these pieces together."

Get those, he said in so many words, and he feels the Scorpions will have the best shot of going MLS of any other city vying for a berth.

Joked that he's going to have highest FedEx bill of his business career from sending information to the various investment groups, now 4.

Three of which MLS are part of their plans, and two which he described as "very, very strong."

Esch

Banned
cant wait to see the #USMNT style on Czech Republic
obama-png.54

We should make a topic in the OT for it, nothing special

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;128188742 said:
For a second I thought that Las Vegas stadium would be right in downtown.

Where would they play anyway?

There was a map with the proposed location a few pages back, it looked like a good location but I don't know the city all that well.

NoRéN

There was a map with the proposed location a few pages back, it looked like a good location but I don't know the city all that well.

Found it and holy fuck! it really would be in downtown vegas. It would be easy to stay on the strip and take the bus that travels the strip up to Freemont Street. Pregame and walk over to the game.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN;128189924 said:
Found it and holy fuck! it really would be in downtown vegas. It would be easy to stay on the strip and take the bus that travels the strip up to Freemont Street. Pregame and walk over to the game.

They're talking about having a march to the match from Freemont Street

For those unfamiliar with the area, the Plaza Hotel, parking lot, and city hall from that other image are in the center - bottom of this one.

NoRéN

Yeah, city hall is about 2 blocks south of Freemont.

Now, with a bunch of fans marching to games from freemont, will the city be considering some sort of bridge or walkway to facilitate that and now cause traffic?

xbhaskarx

Major League Soccer execs schedule visit to Sacramento

Two top executives from Major League Soccer will be in Sacramento on Sept. 18 and 19 to assess the region’s viability as a potential expansion market into the nation’s premiere professional soccer league.

Mayor Kevin Johnson told the City Council in a memo today that Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott and Charles Altchek, special assistant to league Commissioner Don Garber, will visit Sacramento “to better understand our market, current and potential stadium options, and potential MLS ownership group.”

MLS executives also plan to visit Elk Grove, which is working on its own plan to build a stadium and attract an expansion franchise.

A focus of the MLS visit to Sacramento will be the downtown rail yard, which the mayor described as the most appealing of all potential sites for a new soccer stadium. Johnson also stressed in his memo that a new stadium would be privately financed.

While other sites are still under consideration for a stadium, the rail yard has emerged as the front-runner.

“A catalytic, mixed-use development project like an MLS soccer stadium aligns with the city’s goals to develop the downtown rail yards as a vibrant, dynamic, mixed-use development project,” the mayor wrote in his memo.

Ugh, Elk Grove...

Elk Grove approves 100-acre land purchase, seeks pro soccer team

xQmuO.Hi.4.jpeg

Elk Grove is buying a 100-acre parcel south of the city with an eye toward building a long-sought complex that would draw Major League Soccer to the city.

The nearly $4.4 million land deal for farmland at Grant Line Road and Highway 99 was approved Wednesday by the Elk Grove City Council.

0% chance of this happening

xbhaskarx

Earthquakes agree to deal with Uruguayan defender

The Earthquakes returned to South America for their latest acquisition -- right fullback Pablo Pintos of Uruguay.

In what had been rumored since July became a reality this week when the Quakes agreed to a deal to sign the 27-year-old defender, according to reports in South America. The team is awaiting completion of paperwork with Major League Soccer before announcing the deal.

An Earthquakes official declined comment Tuesday.

Pintos arrives in San Jose a month after the Quakes signed Argentine striker Matias Perez Garcia, who is recovering from knee surgery.

Pintos last played for Uruguay's Defensor Sporting, the Montevideo club that he started with in 2006.

The 5-foot-11 Pintos was a regular for Defensor and then San Lorenzo in the Argentine league through 2010. Since then, he has seen little action at Getafe in Spain and Tigre in Argentina. A move to Italy's Lazio in 2010 was stopped by the federation officials over transfer rules.

Brashnir

So with 9 games left in the season and the team out of playoff contention, the FO finally gets around to dealing with the whole RB problem?

Nothing wrong with getting a head-start on the offseason. DC United picked up Luis Silva last year when their season was already done.

xbhaskarx

So with 9 games left in the season and the team out of playoff contention, the FO finally gets around to dealing with the whole RB problem?

Every move the front office makes takes months to finalize. Djalo didn't come in until the season had already started. Perez Garcia was drawn out. And this Pintos thing took from July to September.

- Brian Straus @ SI: Energized Brek Shea still in club limbo after USA call-up, transfer deadline

Nothing wrong with getting a head-start on the offseason. DC United picked up Luis Silva last year when their season was already done.
Sure, but I'm basing this on the assumption that they're going to switch managers and possibly front office staff. I'm not sure why they wanted to spend the money now if someone else doesn't want to cook with the previous coach's ingredients next year.
Every move the front office makes takes months to finalize. Djalo didn't come in until the season had already started. Perez Garcia was drawn out. And this Pintos thing took from July to September.
True

I love that San Antonio design.

Also where did the idea of a Las Vegas team come from? I'm not against it but support seems to have built up extremely quickly, unless I wasn't paying enough attention?

xbhaskarx

Because there hasn't been enough expansion / stadium news today...

BMO Field upgrade rendering

1297601750089_ORIGINAL.jpg

And, despite many Toronto FC fans being skeptical of the club’s new digs, the “upgraded” BMO Field looks pretty nice.

Heck, it looks like a real soccer stadium, roof and all.

“The link between what we did with TFC from (last) November on and what we’re doing with the stadium is tied hand-in-hand in order to make sure that we have a stadium that is one of the best in the league,” MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke told the Toronto Sun earlier this year.

While the latest renderings the Sun received are subject to change, the image shows roofing above three of the sections, with two extra decks built behind the east stand and the supporters’ end.

Capacity is supposed to peak at close to 30,000 for Toronto FC games once the $120 million in renovations are complete.

Phase 1 of the project is scheduled to begin this month.

RBH

falcons_stadium_soccer.jpg

There are still more than two years until Atlanta's new MLS expansion team takes the field, but that hasn't stopped the locals from flocking to show their support.

At a breakfast event held on Wednesday, owner Arthur Blank indicated that the club have already received 14,000 season-ticket deposits, leaving only 11,000 tickets left for the inaugural season.

The new MLS team will play their matches at the state-of-the-art new stadium currently under construction in downtown Atlanta and scheduled to open in 2017. The MLS club will share the building with the NFL Falcons, and Blank made it clear that the soccer setting will be "intimate."
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...pansion-team-already-has-14000-season-tickets

Atlanta MLS owner Arthur Blank has challenged supporters of his yet-to-be-named team to pledge to purchase 29,000 season tickets by year’s end.

Founder’s Club memberships — a group through which tickets can be secured — were going to be capped at 5,000 when Blank introduced the franchise earlier this year. Not only have almost all of the $50 memberships been sold, but those members have pledged to purchase almost 14,500 season tickets as of last week.

The team doesn’t even begin play until 2017.

Because the demand remains, Blank last week said the Founder’s Club membership will be expanded to 10,000 and he wants the potential new members to pledge to buy 11,000 more tickets before the end of the year. The total of 29,000 would sell out the lower bowl of the new stadium.

Should those pledges be converted to purchases, Atlanta could sell more tickets than any MLS expansion franchise.

Seattle, considered the model franchise, sold a league-best 22,000 season tickets in 2009. Toronto sold 14,000 in 2007. Portland sold 12,500 in 2011. Philadelphia capped its season tickets at 12,000 and sold out in 2010.

Blank has said in the past that he’d love for some games to fill the 71,000 seats that comprise the lower and upper bowls of the stadium.
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-sports/atlantas-mls-team-could-shatter-records/ng8Qh/

Are any other stadiums aside from BMO Field planning expansions? Total attendance across the league kinda stalled out last year (Chivas taking a nosedive didn't help), but expansions and new teams like Orlando and NYC should have figures skyrocketing again.

I know Robb Heineman's mentioned that plans exist to expand Sporting Park to 28k, and SKC isn't the only team routinely maxing capacity.

I want to see this graph go back to rising:

xbhaskarx

bradley h friedel @friedel_b

UEFA A licence completed!!! Long road but well worth it. Thank you to the FA and Tottenham for all their help!! @england @SpursOfficial
2 Sep 14

Are any other stadiums aside from BMO Field planning expansions? :

I'm very worried about the BMO Field expansion. They can't even fill the stadium this season (maybe tickets sold but definitely not people in seats) and that was with $100 million of very high profile player signings. I find that lots of empty seats can create a negative buzz which then leads to even less people going.
Maple Leaf Sports should be careful. The fanbase is still angry after the last 7 years of bullshit and ready to walk away and if TFC fail to make the playoffs again this season, then that seat expansion is gonna look really fucking bad next year.

Zeke

Man I love the new renders of our stadium much sexier than the orginals for sure. If San Antonio doesn't got an expansion slot it's going to be heartbreaking again. I know Hartman said he has gotten some strong interest from investors so I hope like hell it all pans out.

USMNT headed to the stadium. Lineup should be available soon.

8oFEsnl.jpg

Are any other stadiums aside from BMO Field planning expansions? Total attendance across the league kinda stalled out last year (Chivas taking a nosedive didn't help), but expansions and new teams like Orlando and NYC should have figures skyrocketing again.
San Jose will get a big bump with the new stadium in 2015 from about 10,500 to 18,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom