• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Because apparently Eric Alexander is God's gift to soccer and must start every game.

For all the crap that comes out of Twellman's mouth I think he hit the nail on the head when it comes to how our attack should look. BWP and Cahill up top, being dangerous, with Henry running the attack from the midfield. If we were to do that we'd have as many offensive options going forward as teams like LA do, instead of just BWP and whatever midfielder decides they want to try and score today.

I don't mind Alexander in a holding roll next to McCarty, but what the hell was he doing further up the field than Cahill?

Nyx

Another Rubin update, played the full 90 minutes again yesterday in the 3-1 loss at FC Twente.

Started on the right wing and moved to the central attacking midfielder position in the second half.
Tried hard, just as his 19 and 18 year old companions in the attack, and Utrecht deserved to go away with a draw but was a bit unlucky.

So many injuries up front this season, it's unbelievable.

xbhaskarx

U-17 #USMNT's 20-player roster named for four-team Panama U-17 tournament from Oct. 1-5 http://ussoc.cr/1vb5p7o

The USA will face Costa Rica on Wednesday, Oct. 1, followed by Canada on Oct. 3 and host Panama on Oct. 5, with all games played at Estadio Maracaná in Panama City.

U.S. U-17 MNT Roster:

GOALKEEPERS (2): William Pulisic (Richmond Strikers; Mechanicsville, Va.), Kevin Silva (PDA; Bethlehem, Pa.)

DEFENDERS (7): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls Academy; Wappingers Falls, N.Y.), Hugo Arellano (LA Galaxy Academy; Norwalk, Calif.), Daniel Barbir (West Bromwich Albion; Allentown, Pa.), Tanner Dieterich (Real Salt Lake AZ; Nashville, Tenn.), John Nelson (Internationals; Medina, Ohio), Matthew Olosunde (New York Red Bulls Academy; Trenton, N.J.), Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Eric Calvillo (Real So Cal; Palmdale, Calif.), Luca de la Torre (Fulham; San Diego, Calif.), Keegan Kelly (Baltimore Celtic; Baltimore, Md.), Thomas McCabe (Players Development Academy; South Orange, N.J.), Christian Pulisic (PA Classics; Hershey, Pa.)

FORWARDS (6): Pierre Da Silva (New York Soccer Club; Port Chester, N.Y.), McKinze Gaines (Lonestar SC; Austin, Texas), Josh Perez (Unattached; La Habra, Calif.), Elijah Rice (Chicago Magic PSG; Highland Park, Ill.), Haji Wright (Unattached; Los Angeles, Calif.), Alejandro Zendejas (FC Dallas Academy; El Paso, Texas)

It sounds like Hertha Berlin is not happy with Brooks. There are rumors he is getting relegated to reserves or is getting waived.
Is there any new info out on this? I've seen a number of different interpretations of what's going on, but no one seems to have it locked down. He could be getting released, it could be a temporary demotion to the U23's, etc... Not great news in either case, but one's more severe than the other.

xbhaskarx

Non-PK Goals + Primary Assists.

1. R. Keane - 25 (16 + 9)
2. O. Martins - 23 (14 + 9)
3. L. Donovan - 21 (7+14)
4. T. Henry - 19 (9+10)
5. C. Dempsey - 18 (12+6)
-- D. Valeri - 18 (8+10)
-- B. Wright-Phillips - 18 (18+0)
-- G. Zardes - 18 (16+2)

With two more Donovan could move into second place for the single season assist record...
1. Valderrama: 26 in 2000
2. Schelotto: 19 in 2008
Donovan: 18 in 2014

xbhaskarx

How is that possible... I've never seen him play and know nothing about him aside from what I just read on Wikipedia, but the Timbers took him in the second round of the Supplemental Draft and didn't sign him, he's never played for a youth national team, he's 24 and has 5 goals in 54 NASL games, meanwhile guys like Nguyen and Feilhaber can't get called up... and what about youngsters like Trapp, Kitchen, etc.

I hope it's not this:

and later with Orange County Blue Star in 2011.[5]

From the ESPN comments:
ThickDimwittedHowlermonkey.gif

Between Jordan Morris and Ibarra, it feels like they're working hard to find more dynamic wing options. Keep in mind that the rumored roster for the October matches might be up to 30 players, so there's some room for a couple longshots. It's as good a time as any to call these guys in. I wonder if he's holding off on some of the younger MLS guys that are in the playoff case since it makes sense for them to come to January camp anyway.

EDIT: Here's a brief Ibarra youtube highlight vid, too

greatest win Toronto FC history

It probably is. Since the fans here in Toronto have had so little to cheer about in TFC's existence, it really helps to have a game like that.

It brings me back to another one of the (few) great moments:
TFC's first ever goal just happens to be on free seat cushion day

I still don't see them making the playoffs (especially since this "game in hand" everyone is talking about is away against the LA Galaxy) but I hope I'm wrong.

Yup. The terms:
Chivas USA will suspend operations at the end of the MLS regular season, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation have told ESPNFC.com.

One source added that the league has agreed to sell the club to an undisclosed investment group for a fee in the neighborhood of $100 million, and that going on hiatus is a condition of the sale.

The club is expected to go dark for a minimum of two years until the new ownership group can plan and build a new stadium for the team. MLS has confirmed the land in Exposition Park where the L.A. Sports Arena sits as a potential site for the new venue.

xbhaskarx

I'm guessing the players will be distributed over the other 20 teams. Or maybe just the two expansion teams? What else can they possibly even do, loan the players out for two years? That seems unlikely.

I just hope they keep the entire academy structure in place, but even that will be a bit weird when none of them can be signed as homegrowns for at least two years...

MLS salary updates:
@BrianStraus said:
Guaranteed comp: Jones $3.25M, Ridgewell $1.2M, Beasley $779.2K, Piatti $387.5K, Pogatetz $372.5K, Inkoom $103.9K, Castillon $329K, Mbolhi $240K

And Kaka: $6.66M annual base salary, $7.17M in annual guaranteed compensation according to MLSPU figures. Highest in MLS history.

xbhaskarx

Piatti $387.5K

What a steal

Beasley $779.2K

lol, people are acting so ridiculous when it comes to World Cup players. Beasley is on his last legs, Diskerud was offered a seven figure salary... crazy.

Cubo: I'm guessing some team will buy him, so he'll go to whichever team is willing to pay the sale price and his salary, otherwise he'll head back.

Arials

Kaka was on €4m (~$5m) at AC Milan.

Frank Lampard's NYCFC salary has been reported as $8m, if that's get's made official than Kaka's contract was already only 2nd biggest in the league when he signed it. David Villa must be on a lot as well.

Beşiktaş turned down an option to sign Jermaine Jones permanently on a salary of €1.8m (~$2.3m) at the end of his loan, now he's playing in MLS for $1m a year more than that. Moves like that have been going on since before the World Cup though, Michael Bradley got a ridiculous 6x pay rise when he joined Toronto back in January. It's the old MLS habit of paying over the odds to attract ageing big names to fill DP slots now also getting applied to US internationals from a lower quality bracket.

So Chivas down, 21 to 20 teams for 2015 and 2017 jumps to 22. Sporting and Houston move to the Western conference and we now have a balanced schedule. 2017 Atlanta joins the East and LA2 joins west.

Elchele

Frank Lampard's NYCFC salary has been reported as $8m, if that's get's made official than Kaka's contract was already only 2nd biggest in the league when he signed it. David Villa must be on a lot as well.

Beşiktaş turned down an option to sign Jermaine Jones permanently on a salary of €1.8m (~$2.3m) at the end of his loan, now he's playing in MLS for $1m a year more than that. Moves like that have been going on since before the World Cup though, Michael Bradley got a ridiculous 6x pay rise when he joined Toronto back in January. It's the old MLS habit of paying over the odds to attract ageing big names to fill DP slots now also getting applied to US internationals from a lower quality bracket.

european teams offer a lot more in sporting terms (CL, EL specially) than MLS teams. So obviously they have to pay a lot more.

xbhaskarx

Are there any good, American pure-winger options in MLS that haven't been called up yet?

The USMNT has a ton of central midfielders at the moment, but wingers would be useful.

I'm not sure about pure wingers but I think pretty much al of these uncapped guys play more outside than centrally:

Silva, Rowe, DeLeon, Shipp, Wenger, Serna, Finlay, Hurtado, Hairston, Arriola, Holmes
Then of course there's Shawn Parker. And Manneh is close to citizenship.

Ibarra may be better than some of those guys but without having seen him I still have a hard time believing he's better than the majority.

Meier

Keep in mind that Italian salaries are always reported post tax. Kaka's pre-tax salary (what all English speaking leagues report) would have been about double that figure.

Like a number of their players, he's on loan. I'd guess he's headed back to Guadalajara.

Think it's been widely reported that in his recent loan deal there was an option to buy included. I'm sure MLS will exercise it, he's definitely good enough.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not sure about pure wingers but I think pretty much al of these uncapped guys play more outside than centrally:

Silva, Rowe, DeLeon, Shipp, Wenger, Serna, Finlay, Hurtado, Hairston, Arriola, Holmes

Ibarra may be better than some of those guys but without having seen him I still have a hard time believing he's better than the majority.

They may not be getting the call due to the playoffs. We may see some of those calls ups in January.

Good list. Not a lot of wingers, but some players worth look. I would think that a lot of those guys are either going to be busy with MLS during the October window and/or they're already tagged for Camp Cupcake, so perhaps Klinsmann is waiting to call them up later.

Think it's been widely reported that in his recent loan deal there was an option to buy included. I'm sure MLS will exercise it, he's definitely good enough.
Oh, good point. I forgot that every MLS loan deal is required to have a buy option included.

Esch

Banned
Kaka has a big salary but i think it's justified. New team, could probably use an experienced leader figure. I'm sure it's also a function of demographics too, maybe trying to attract more hispanic viewers internationally and locally given what the makeup of florida is like and projected to be in future years.

- Sciaretta's wrap up of yanks abroad action

Brooks update:
Most people have seen reports about John Brooks at Hertha Berlin. While quick online translations seem to indicate he was “waived” by Hertha, the more likely scenario is that he is being demoted to the club’s U-23 team for the time being.

This is not the first time Brooks has had conflicts with his club. Toward the end of 2013-14 season Brooks elected to get a large tattoo on his back and the club made a statement that his body was not recovered enough to play.

It's unclear on how long Brooks will remain in the doghouse at Hertha but there is no positive spin here. He is in trouble and this could jeopardize his national team status over the long run if he does not sort it out soon.

blurrygil

What an awful day. Broken leg, Valeri suspended for the next match, and a loss. I feel kinda sick.

Tragic about your capt. 50/50s are always a scary sight.

But Valeri was a complete idiot for going in the way he did and giving up a FK that late. There's no need to come in that late. Deserves the booking and suspension by all accounts.

Shit, if you're going to go out you may as well go out on top. LA is going to win the MLS Cup, maybe even the Supporter's Shield. I have no doubt at this point.

My boys of the north have something to say about that. We've got the easier schedule, it seems. Colorado is shite (although we're away). Caps haven't faired well at our grounds (1 win here in 3 yrs).

LA has the Reds who are hot off that NY fixture. Then Dallas who are still playing reasonably well.

I'd say there's plenty of doubt.

That and because...Sounders. It's our fuckin' time.

Don't see LA coming back within two years. What a disaster. MLS 3.0 has been more disappointing than The Fappening 3......

I think it'll happen...no doubts. Howwill be the biggest question. But the league just can't hand the team over to some market in a single year...looks really bad for them. Logistics behind it all would require time anyways.

Meier

Don't see LA coming back within two years. What a disaster. MLS 3.0 has been more disappointing than The Fappening 3......

I don't think it's a big deal. Works better for the league in general as it will not be imbalanced and they'll come back with Atlanta and an even number in 2017. The only real issue will be how it affects the players.

- Roster notes from Steven Goff:
The U.S. Soccer Federation is tentatively planning to announce the roster for the men’s national team camp and friendlies Sunday.

This will not be a straight-forward list, however. With two matches and a 10-day window, some players will shuttle in and out after the first game, Oct. 10 against Ecuador at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn. Landon Donovan, for instance, will make his final U.S. appearance in Hartford and then rejoin the Los Angeles Galaxy. Others will report ahead of the second game, Oct. 14 against Honduras at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, Fla.

The complete list may be larger than the usual 20 to 23 players. The squad announcement is likely to identify all players, regardless of their arrival date.

The first phase of camp will take place in the Boston area, not Hartford. The group will then arrive in Connecticut a day or two before the match.

With the matches falling in an official FIFA fixture window, Jurgen Klinsmann will summon a mix of domestic and international players. Foolishly, MLS has again scheduled league matches during an official window: two on Oct. 8, two on Oct. 10, five on Oct. 11 and two on Oct. 12. Clubs are obligated to release players for international duty, though Klinsmann could compromise in allowing some players to report for just one friendly.

Several young candidates, such as Rubio Rubin, Emerson Hyndman and Cody Cropper, will probably play for the U.S. under-23 squad instead of the senior team. The U-23s will face Brazil on Oct. 13 in Brasilia. Some of them, however, might initially join the senior squad and then travel to Brazil.

Julian Green and John Brooks are eligible for the U-23s but are also certain to attend the senior camp.

Senior veterans based in Europe currently sidelined with injuries are Fabian Johnson, Geoff Cameron, Aron Johannsson and Terrence Boyd.

Meantime, the USSF is close to finalizing a second friendly in November in Europe. Already slated to play Ireland on Nov. 18 in Dublin, Klinsmann has been eyeing an additional match at the beginning of the FIFA window (around Nov. 14).

Like a number of their players, he's on loan. I'd guess he's headed back to Guadalajara.

Vergara is a cheap skate he'll sell him to the highest bidder I think. I have a feeling Cubo is bound for europe somewhere though.

Surprised to read somewhere that the league wants a new stadium for LA2/ChivasUSA whenever they return. Exposition park was the area mentioned. I had always just assumed they'd continue to share the Stubhub Center

Esch

Banned
Hit up my DVR today and i see that Champions League is on ESPN and shit today. I didn't know they got the rights. Good for the sport for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom