• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's in the largest market in the richest country in the world?

If Red Bull didn't come in somebody else would have.

Don't be naive.

Yeah that strategy has worked wonders for Chivas.

Don't be naive, without rb they'd be plodding around on football lines drawing 6000, just like the metro stars were.

Best case scenario? A bottom rung stadium and a shit team, like our friends representing the fifth biggest city in the US, just 90 minutes south.

Osorio

Yeah that strategy has worked wonders for Chivas.

Don't be naive, without rb they'd be plodding around on football lines drawing 6000, just like the metro stars were.

Best case scenario? A bottom rung stadium and a shit team, like our friends representing the fifth biggest city in the US, just 90 minutes south.

Comparing us to Chivas is my whole fucking point. They're a branding experiment lol

And the Metrostars averaged 15-23,000 in a shittier stadium,football lines, same inconsistent management, smaller soccer interest, stupid shootout rules, and less stars.

Esch

Banned
I honestly wouldn't be bothered by it. Look at all the teams that historically emerged from corporations. West Ham, Bethlehem Steel, etc etc.

Osorio

I honestly wouldn't be bothered by it. Look at all the teams that historically emerged from corporations. West Ham, Bethlehem Steel, etc etc.

I'm sure you can see the difference here.

I hope your team becomes the Philadelphia Bimbos next year

Esch

Banned
I'm sure you can see the difference here.
Other than people harassing you about it cause it's an energy drink? Still industry based private cartels owning teams to me.

The only difference is that the teams grew away from parent corps.

Osorio

Other than people harassing you about it cause it's an energy drink? Still industry based private cartels owning teams to me.

The only difference is that the teams grew away from parent corps.

1.) The name was changed from something else. Something people were previously fans of.
2.) It's not local ownership. We have no connection here to Red Bull other than mixing it with vodka. Those teams were based in their respective cities with workers who made their wages from that company.
3.) They became actual clubs or teams. Almost no part of the Red Bull ownership did they stray away from the energy drink or the expansion of the brand. When you look at the Arsenal or West Ham logo, did you immediately think of those parent companies? Or did you find out by looking up their history? Now what do you think when people see our crest?

Osorio

Philly Bakers has a nice ring to it

Word. Philly fans would be so excited by their new crest

large_article_im2892_logo_bimbo_ok.jpg

Everybody gonna be kissing their badge.

Esch

Banned
1.) The name was changed from something else. Something people were previously fans of.
2.) It's not local ownership. We have no connection here to Red Bull other than mixing it with vodka. Those teams were based in their respective cities with workers who made their wages from that company.
3.) They became actual clubs or teams. Almost no part of the Red Bull ownership did they stray away from the energy drink or the expansion of the brand. When you look at the Arsenal or West Ham logo, did you immediately think of those parent companies? Or did you find out by looking up their history? Now what do you think when people see our crest?
1. Fair enough

2. People from Jersey love jaegerbombs. Don't lie to me
troll.png
. You have a point here, but at the same time we're living in an increasingly globalized society as well.

3. That may just be a function of time more than anything else. I suppose there's always the the chance you guys get bought out and brand or name switched as the MLS expands and you vie against NYC FC for supremacy of the city's demographics.

Word. Philly fans would be so excited by their new crest

Everybody gonna be kissing their badge.

As I said before, there are very few companies whose name is just a perfect match with the US sports naming trend.

City, color, animal
Boston Red Sox
Chicago Bulls
New York Red Bulls

It just fits. Obviously, Bimbo does not. Nor does AEG. Or Herbalife.

I'd fully agree with you if it was Comcast or Ticketmaster or whatever....

San Jose Apples is pushing it.

But New York Red Bulls works. Yes, it's an energy drink.... but it is also a decent team name. A team name that came with $200 million + attached to it and gave a huge amount of legitimacy to MLS.

BTW: Green Bay Packers.
Thanks to the Indian Packing Company which funded the team as long as it took their name.

Did you really just bring up the only publicly owned franchise in the NFL to counter my argument? Come on son.

I'm done here.

Whats your point? They took on the name because of a corporation. What happened later with their ownership is irrelevant.

Maybe 80 years from now when the drink company is as dead as the Indian Packing Company, people will forget why the Red Bulls are called that.

xbhaskarx

I have no problem with the Red Bulls name. Would New York Green Bulls be better just because it's not a company? Besides the name Bulls makes more sense for a New York team (Wall Street, with iconic bull statue) than any other US city (Chicago... 19th century cattle drives?)...
Also the best sports team name in the world is corporate, the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have no problem with the Red Bulls name. Would New York Green Bulls be better just because it's not a company? Besides the name Bulls makes more sense for a New York team (Wall Street, with iconic bull statue) than any other US city (Chicago... 19th century cattle drives?)...
Also the best sports team name in the world is corporate, the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters.

I can't say I mind the name as much as I do them not filling that last DP spot.

I don't think Red Bulls is a terrible name but it would be cool to get away from the red bull company colors. Keep the name, use old Metrostars colors would be a perfect trade off imo.

I guess you could change it to (assuming it's sold) to like Metro FC/SC with their nickname being the Bulls or something. idk.

it's infinitely better than Chivas or Real Salt Lake, however.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I can't say I mind the name as much as I do them not filling that last DP spot.

Why do you insist on having a third DP? We have one subpar DP and a bunch of castoffs. Now we're on top of the East. It is all about having a balanced roster.

Am I the only one that likes the Colombus' name and colors? I don't think they need to be rebranded.

xbhaskarx

Am I the only one that likes the Colombus' name and colors? I don't think they need to be rebranded.

I am definitely concerned, but they're not going to change the name or colors, just the crest. Even there, I think they should keep the current crest also, maybe use it for their third jersey.

shoplifter

Ill admit I'm attached to the Construction workers, but that logo is so 90s it's not funny.

I have faith that Precourt won't screw this up.

Osorio

I guess nobody understands that I have less of a problem with than name than the branding.

I have a problem with the crest.

I have a problem with being one of 5 teams who wear the exact same jersey.

It's not that complicated.

Osorio

yeah, Red Bull Salzberg is in the CL right now doing pretty dece. Just beat Malmo FF 3-0

Their manager's name.... Adolf Hütter

Yeah our sister club who lent us great players like Ernst Oebster, Brian Nielsen, Markus Schopp, and Ibrahim Sekagya

ugh

- US U-23 roster for the Brazil camp:
Roster By Position:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Charlie Horton (Cardiff City; Cleveland, Ohio), Cody Cropper (Southampton; Maple Grove, Minn.)

DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC; East Palo Alto, Calif.), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact; Woodbury, Minn.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (Alebrijes de Oaxaca; Riverside, Calif.), William Packwood (Birmingham City; Concord, Mass.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Dennis Flores (León; Pasadena, Calif.), Marlon Hairston (Colorado Rapids; Jackson, Miss.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham; Dallas, Texas), Benji Joya (Chicago Fire; San Jose, Calif.), Esteban Rodriguez (Dorados de Sinaloa; Bell Gardens, Calif.)

FORWARDS (6): Alonso Hernandez (Monterrey; El Paso, Texas), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Sean Okoli (Seattle Sounders FC; Federal Way, Wash.), Mario Rodriguez (Borussia Mönchengladbach; North Hollywood, Calif.), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht; Beaverton, Ore.), Ben Spencer (Indy Eleven; Albuquerque, N.M.)

xbhaskarx

Landon Donovan hints at icy relations with USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann in new interview

But based on the revelations of a new SI.com interview with Donovan published on Thursday, awkwardness may well eclipse nostalgia at that match in East Hartford, Connecticut.

In an in-depth conversation with SI's Grant Wahl, Donovan revealed that USMNT head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has not spoken with him at all about this month's sendoff, which is apparently the brainchild of U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati.

Donovan – who declined to emphatically rule out a future comeback to the sport, but called it “unlikely” – also made clear that the wounds incurred by Klinsmann's stunning decision to leave him off the USA's 2014 World Cup roster have not healed.

After the German-American coach's son Jonathan mocked Donovan in a tweet shortly after the roster announcement, Klinsmann publicly asserted that his son owed the USMNT icon “a huge apology,” but apparently no such olive branch has been extended.

And Donovan's conviction that he could have been of use in Brazil this summer has not wavered.

“I think there was a very tangible way I could have helped that team,” he said. “I believe in my abilities.”

It appears that the bad blood between Klinsmann and Donovan – who seemed to be respected friends until the latter failed to adequately impress on a loan stint to Bayern Munich during Klinsmann's brief, star-crossed tenure as the German superclub's manager in 2008-09 – nearly prevented the Galaxy legend from accepting one last callup to the national team he helped put on the map.

“I thought about it for a while,” Donovan said. “Obviously, this summer didn’t leave the best taste in my mouth with everything that happened. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized this was something that I think would be really special, not only for me to feel and receive, but also my opportunity to say thank you.

“I’ve met so many people here in LA that have said, ‘We’ve booked our flight, we got our tickets, we’re going to Hartford to say goodbye to you.' For me that makes it special.”

Of course the delusional Klinsmann fanboys will still claim it was a completely objective performance-based decision....

I posted the original interview yesterday, but no on commented on it.
Disappointing to hear that they're still not getting along, and that's messed up that his son still hasn't apologized. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it at the Ecuador game as they'll be working together for a while and undoubtedly it'll come up at press conferences.

Also, please don't do this:
Of course the delusional Klinsmann fanboys will still claim it was a completely objective performance-based decision....

xbhaskarx

Okay I'll say this instead: fuck that two-faced half car salesman half motivational speaker fraud we're stuck with as our tactically clueless national team coach for the next four years.

Askani

Christ!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-disciplinary-summary

Notice of Suspension

• Perry Kitchen D.C. United 10/3 vs. SKC Yellow-card accumulation
  • Jackson Toronto FC 10/4 vs. LA Red card - violent conduct
  • Diego Valeri Portland 10/4 vs. SJ Yellow-card accumulation
  • Jamison Olave New York 10/4 vs. HOU Yellow-card accumulation
  • Carlos Alvarez Colorado 10/5 vs. SEA Entering field of play
  • Frank Klopas Montreal 10/5 vs. CHI Coach dismissal
  • Jorge Claros Sporting KC 10/3 vs. DC, 10/10 vs. CHI, 10/18 vs. PHI Inappropriate comments

What the hell kind of comments get you banned for 3 games?! And it's so bad that no one is reporting on it until right now?!

EDIT :::::

Weird...now it's gone from the link. What is going on?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don't know if you guys are still discussing the team name thing, but it's not even unprecedented. Sports teams used to take on their primary sponsor's name just to exist, only naming the stadium after a sponsor is rather new. The Sacramento Kings started out as Rochester Seagrams, for instance.

SKC and DCU about to kick off on NBCSN:
Tonight's starting lineup against @dcunited: Gruenebaum; Sinovic, Besler (c), Ellis, Juliao; Olum, Nagamura, Zusi; Sapong, Dwyer, Dovale

#DCU Starting XI vs. #SKC: Hamid; Kemp, Birnbaum, Boswell, Korb; Pontius, Arnaud, DeLeon, Franklin; Silva, Espindola #DCvSKC

Askani

Fuck off ref. Yellow card doesn't happen if you call the flying elbow in the back.

Still...Sinovic has to be smarter than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom