• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revs partnering up with Sporting CP

The New England Revolution and Portuguese power Sporting Clube de Portugal (Sporting) have announced the clubs have entered in to a multiple-year strategic partnership. Revolution club president Brian Bilello and general manager Michael Burns were in Lisbon today for the announcement, which will result in shared expertise, benefit and promotion for each club.

“We’re very excited to partner with a club with such history and prestige as Sporting Club De Portugal,” Bilello said. “The opportunity to not only partner on activities to improve our first team, but also to work with their prestigious academy on youth development, will benefit our club for many years. We will also assist Sporting in their efforts to explore opportunities to increase Sporting’s reach within the United States, both on and off the field.”

The primary focus of the partnership is to promote collaboration on training and development methods for both the clubs’ first teams and youth squads.

In regards to the first team, the agreement allows for the Revolution to bring in Sporting players on loan. Additionally, the teams will share scouting resources between the organizations.

On the youth development side, the agreement allows for the clubs’ academy teams, youth players and coaches to spend training time with the other organization’s teams

“Sporting has been one of the most consistent and successful programs in Europe, and we’re looking forward to working with their staff to share best practices, player talent and scouting resources,” Burns said. “Both clubs have been recognized for our youth development programs, and we’re anticipating a tremendous shared benefit by this partnership.”

The partnership also allows for potential friendly matches at both the first-team and youth-team levels, as well as special commercial opportunities to help Sporting’s brand grow in the U.S., and the Revolution’s brand to grow in Portugal and Europe.

The genesis of the partnership came earlier this season when the Sporting executives traveled to Foxborough for the Portugal-Mexico international friendly at Gillette Stadium on June 6. This is the Revolution’s first-ever international club partnership.

Meier

Hit up my DVR today and i see that Champions League is on ESPN and shit today. I didn't know they got the rights. Good for the sport for sure.

It's a co-licensing deal like they had with the Premier League previously -- Fox is letting them show some of the group stage and qualifying games. I think maaaybe some from the round of 16 as well. None beyond that though as I recall. Very good to get more games out there though.

Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 59s58 seconds ago
.@GrantWahl reports that Red Bull at one point met with Manchester City about selling RBNY to them, before the expansion move.

well that's interesting

- SI: 'Zero chance' Henry returns to Red Bulls; Club's owners losing interest
One of the big questions facing the New York Red Bulls is Thierry Henry: Will the most accomplished player in MLS history extend his contract with New York after it runs out at the end of this calendar year? Well, Red Bull soccer boss Gérard Houllier hinted at things over the summer when he said that he didn't think Henry would extend with New York, and a source with knowledge of Red Bull’s plans now tells SI.com there is “zero chance” that Henry will sign an extension. (That doesn’t necessarily mean that Henry will retire, however.)

Part of the reason is Red Bull has dramatically reduced its investment in New York as Red Bull’s global profits have declined, and its soccer interest has shifted toward its teams in Europe. The Red Bulls didn’t spend to acquire a third Designated Player during the summer transfer window, and plans to start a USL Pro team have been shelved.

While Marc de Grandpre, the club’s head of commercial operations, says the team is not for sale, one source says that if a buyer approached Red Bull and offered $300 million for the Red Bulls and their stadium, the deal would get done within 48 hours.

In fact, team and stadium sale talks were indeed held by Red Bull a couple years ago with a New Jersey-based investor group and then again with Manchester City before the club acquired its MLS expansion franchise along with the New York Yankees, but neither set of talks led anywhere.

Long story short: Don't look for Red Bull to be involved in MLS in the long-term future.
More via the link.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Sucks that this is Henry's last season but that second piece of news...

Heeeeeere weeeeeee go

Here we go

Here we goooooooo

That news just made my day.

qCUtLdE.gif

Osorio

Kinda expect either Cosmos or Joshua Harris (owner of Devils and Sixers) to give a ring.

I dunno how deep the pockets of the Cosmos owners are though. But if are planning 400 mil just for a stadium in Belmont, a stadium, team, stadium, and academy for 300 is a fucking steal.

So someone would get a team, an academy and a $200 million stadium for $300 million? I mean fuck that's a killer deal right there.

A chance for a new name/brand with NYCFC coming in could be huge too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kinda expect either Cosmos or Joshua Harris (owner of Devils and Sixers) to give a ring.

I dunno how deep the pockets of the Cosmos owners are though. But if are planning 400 mil just for a stadium in Belmont, a stadium, team, stadium, and academy for 300 is a fucking steal.

If they've got 400 mil for a stadium they should just buy out Red Bull and use whatever profits they get to build their new stadium. Shit, at that point they'd have an MLS team, stadium, academy and a lower level team to develop talent in. It'd fix the fact Red Bull was too cheap to establish a lower level team as well. Best of all worlds for those involved.

RB is denying they want to sell the team.

Of course they are. No point in seeming too eager, it may drive the price down in negotiations. They've met with like 2 prospective buyers in the last few years, it's probably just a matter of price at this point.

Red Bull needs to fucking sell. If they aren't willing to spend any money on the team then they shouldn't bother with it, seriously what is with not filling that 3rd designated player spot? A good defensive pickup and we'd be killer.

Meier

If they've got 400 mil for a stadium they should just buy out Red Bull and use whatever profits they get to build their new stadium. Shit, at that point they'd have an MLS team, stadium, academy and a lower level team to develop talent in. It'd fix the fact Red Bull was too cheap to establish a lower level team as well. Best of all worlds for those involved.
MLS wouldn't allow them to buy the team if they remained set on building their stadium out in BFE.

- MLS Analyst: More experiments? A roster for Jurgen Klinsmann and the USMNT

His roster picks:
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (RSL), Cody Cropper (Southampton)

Defenders: Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Edgar Castillo (Atlas) Tim Ream (Bolton), John Brooks (Hertha BSC), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Will Packwood (Birmingham City), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)

Midfielders: Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Julian Green (Hamburger SV), Luis Gil (RSL), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United SC), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Lee Nguyen (New England), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia), Wil Trapp (Columbus)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), Andrew Wooten (SV Sandhausen), Rubio Rubin (FC Utrecht), Shawn Parker (Augsburg)
Discussion via the link.

I think closing Chivas for 2 years is a dumb move. There was a lot they could have done to drum up attendance. Why throw in the towel?

I like RB owning the red bulls. What other owner has come in and built the best soccer stadium in the USA? Nobody.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think closing Chivas for 2 years is a dumb move. There was a lot they could have done to drum up attendance. Why throw in the towel?

I like RB owning the red bulls. What other owner has come in and built the best soccer stadium in the USA? Nobody.

Now if only they'd spend some money on the actual team. We've had a third designated player spot open all season and they couldn't seem less interested in filling it.

Osorio

Have them buy your favorite team and change their logo and tell me how you feel about it

Osorio

I appreciate Red Bull for coming in and making RBA. The original plan was for a 20,000 seater with a stage on one end like the other stadiums that were being built at the time. That's fantastic. But you didn't have to change our logo, and erase our history while doing that. Own the team, be a shirt sponsor for life, whatever. But they made our club a walking billboard in the process. Not only that, but you also knew that you were just a small segment of their global soccer operations. You feel like the first McDonald's to open up in Russia. You can't wear the jersey with pride outside, and even if you did, other people will let you know that you're a walking billboard.

Fuck corporate ownership. That is all.

I appreciate Red Bull for coming in and making RBA. The original plan was for a 20,000 seater with a stage on one end like the other stadiums that were being built at the time. That's fantastic. But you didn't have to change our logo, and erase our history while doing that. Own the team, be a shirt sponsor for life, whatever. But they made our club a walking billboard in the process. Not only that, but you also knew that you were just a small segment of their global soccer operations. You feel like the first McDonald's to open up in Russia. You can't wear the jersey with pride outside, and even if you did, other people will let you know that you're a walking billboard.

Fuck corporate ownership. That is all.

Honestly the old branding sucked. New York/New Jersey Metrostars? Come the fuck on. Thats embarrassing.

And as far as brands go, Red Bulls at least fit perfectly into the American naming scheme. I think when casuals see the jersey they dont even make the connection between the team name and the brand half the time.

Better than the "New York Verizon Wirelesses"

"Fuck corporate ownership."

....didnt AEG own like half the teams in the league?

Osorio

Honestly the old branding sucked. New York/New Jersey Metrostars? Come the fuck on. Thats embarrassing.

And as far as brands go, Red Bulls at least fit perfectly into the American naming scheme. I think when casuals see the jersey they dont even make the connection between the team name and the brand half the time.

Better than the "New York Verizon Wirelesses"

"Fuck corporate ownership."

....didnt AEG own like half the teams in the league?

No matter how shitty you think Metrostars is, it's a million times better than Red Bull New York

Like I said, how'd you like your favorite team to be Red Bull ____ tomorrow?

And casuals don't see the connection, they think you work for Red Bull. Trust me, I know more about this than you do.

- Garber weighing in:
MLS boss Don Garber strongly refuted a report in Sports Illustrated on Wednesday, telling the Daily News that he “can absolutely assure that the club is not for sale.

“Both the owner and management team in Austria and New York are as committed as ever to Major League Soccer, the club and their fans,” Garber continued.

The commissioner’s statement followed a stiff denial from the club about the report, even as a league source told The News that the Austrian energy drink company is indeed open to unloading its MLS franchise just four years after opening a $220 million stadium in New Jersey.

Arials

They should have stuck with the double name thing and renamed the team New York and/or New Jersey Metrostars and/or Red Bulls football and/or soccer club. Then let the fans delete to their own preferences.

No matter how shitty you think Metrostars is, it's a million times better than Red Bull New York

Like I said, how'd you like your favorite team to be Red Bull ____ tomorrow?

And casuals don't see the connection, they think you work for Red Bull. Trust me, I know more about this than you do.

Are you sure about that?

Because I live in New jersey...

The biggest problem I see is the NY branding vs the NJ branding.

Pink Cows ownership > Robert Kraft

Osorio

They should have stuck with the double name thing and renamed the team New York and/or New Jersey Metrostars and/or Red Bulls football and/or soccer club. Then let the fans delete to their own preferences.

NY/NJ was dropped in 2002

They should've just kept Metrostars and had the two bulls as a jersey sponsor.

If any motherfuckers want to tell me that RBNY is better than Metrostars watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MTUI12bLZc

Osorio

Are you sure about that?

Because I live in New jersey...

The biggest problem I see is the NY branding vs the NJ branding.

Pink Cows ownership > Robert Kraft

Ok, do you wear the jersey outside?

If you don't I'll give you my 2006 home, signed by Jozy Altidore and tell me the reactions you get.

I don't wear the jersey but I wear the track jacket sometimes and the comments I get are anywhere from:

"They'll always be Metro to me!"

or if I go to a pupusa spot and they ring me up somebody'll go

"What'd you have to drink? Let me guess, a Red Bull."

Have fun wearing it to soccer bars in the city like Nevada Smith's or Red Lion.

Ok, do you wear the jersey outside?

If you don't I'll give you my 2006 home, signed by Jozy Altidore and tell me the reactions you get.

I don't wear the jersey but I wear the track jacket sometimes and the comments I get are anywhere from:

"They'll always be Metro to me!"

or if I go to a pupusa spot and they ring me up somebody'll go

"What'd you have to drink? Let me guess, a Red Bull."

Have fun wearing it to soccer bars in the city like Nevada Smith's or Red Lion.

I actually have two red bull shirts, a red one and a blue one. Both were free when I went to a game. I use the red one pretty frequently.... never had ANY comment, of any kind.

It's a pretty sleek shirt.

Revs fans,

How'd you guys like to be Red Bull Boston tomorrow?

If it meant playing in a real soccer stadium in the city...

I guarantee youd get 90% YES vote.

Osorio

I actually have two red bull shirts, a red one and a blue one. Both were free when I went to a game. I use the red one pretty frequently.... never had ANY comment, of any kind.

It's a pretty sleek shirt.

Well I get plenty of comments when I wear my Metro shirt and my Red Bull jacket

Positive for Metro

Negative/Indifferent for Red Bull

Well I get plenty of comments when I wear my Metro shirt and my Red Bull jacket

Positive for Metro

Negative/Indifferent for Red Bull

The fact that people recognize the team is a good thing.

Ask ten people in Boston about the Revolution and you'll get blank stares. The awareness of the team is barely higher than that of the Cannons.

Go to a Revs game, and 90% of the "fans" are linked with youth soccer. Kids + parents that dont give half a shit. It rains and you get 4,000 people because the kids stay home.

At least the bulls draw real people, and arent considered a substitute for the latest Marvel movie.

Osorio

The fact that people recognize the team is a good thing.

Ask ten people in Boston about the Revolution and you'll get blank stares. The awareness of the team is barely higher than that of the Cannons.

Go to a Revs game, and 90% of the "fans" are linked with youth soccer. Kids + parents that dont give half a shit. It rains and you get 4,000 people because the kids stay home.

At least the bulls draw real people, and arent considered a substitute for the latest Marvel movie.

And if you ask ten people in Manhattan who the Red Bulls are, people would give you a blank stare. I just happen to live in a Latino, soccer-centric area. But from the people who DO know about the team, they hate on corporate branding. NYCFC is most likely going to destroy our attendance despite their shitty stadium setup.

Revs fans,

How'd you guys like to be Red Bull Boston tomorrow?

No thanks.

I believe the Krafts when they are trying to look and explore options to build a stadium in the city, but the options aren't there. This is why it was huge when Suffolk Downs announced its closure, because it put a giant tract of land in play, with T access already there. The problem with a proposed Somerville location was always the need for the GLX project for the T to be completed.

I mean, it's not a slam dunk. Look at the situation NYCFC is in.

And if you ask ten people in Manhattan who the Red Bulls are, people would give you a blank stare. I just happen to live in a Latino, soccer-centric area. But from the people who DO know about the team, they hate on corporate branding. NYCFC is most likely going to destroy our attendance despite their shitty stadium setup.

Thats because its a NJ team and should be branded as such.

Again, the problem isnt the RB part, its the NY part.

And if you ask ten people in Jersey if they'd rather be RBNJ or Metro/Garden State FC/whatever NJ based

They'll take the latter

Given the choice between...

a) Be the NJ Metros, and play in Giants stadium and have no Dps... (aka, the Revolution)
or
b) Be the Red Bulls, have the best soccer stadium in the country, and have three DPs...

Id think most would choose b.

Because that's the real choice. You cant have the dream scenario because it's not realistic.

NY got the best stadium because of the brand. NY got the best players because of the brand. RB put in a shit ton of money because it was an advertising expense. Remove the primary advertising method (the team name) and wtf would they put in so much money?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Given the choice between...

a) Be the NJ Metros, and play in Giants stadium and have no Dps... (aka, the Revolution)
or
b) Be the Red Bulls, have the best soccer stadium in the country, and have three DPs...

Id think most would choose b.

Because that's the real choice. You cant have the dream scenario because it's not realistic.

NY got the best stadium because of the brand. NY got the best players because of the brand. RB put in a shit ton of money because it was an advertising expense. Remove the primary advertising method (the team name) and wtf would they put in so much money?

Just an FYI, we have 2 DPs. They seemingly refuse to fill that last spot.

Osorio

And our DPs didn't get us any silverware until last season.

And I love RBA but I'd have taken the original plan if it meant never being a "Red Bull"

Osorio

Honestly, I'm not a fan who cares about winning every season. I'm a goddamn Mets fan. However, since they became the Red Bulls I demanded the absolute best. Because if my team is a fucking brand for a soda they BETTER win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom