• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Preach it, brother!

Let's not forget that he's also a bad parent raising a spoiled brat who doesn't have to follow through on what his dad says to US soccer fans at a press conference:

“He realised what he’s done, so he was devastated yesterday. And obviously as a father you put him in line and he owes him a huge, huge apology. That was highly disrespectful and I think he got his biggest social media lesson that he could imagine.”

Does anyone believe a single word that comes out of Klinsmann's mouth at this point?

xbhaskarx

By the way, xbhaskarx, what's your take on the Kinnear rumors with respect to the Quakes?

The Dynamo have been my least favorite team to watch for years, I root against any team that plays them just because I can't stand their style. I think their recent postseason success is just luck, it's not like Kinnear was choosing to be mediocre all season as if that provides some sort of advantage, it's just that the playoffs are a handful of games and anything can happen. Hell Yallop has had more recent success than Kinnear, they both did something notable in 2012 but I'd put a higher value on winning the Supporters Shield with 66 points and a +29 goal differential than on squeaking into the playoffs as the fifth seed and being the sacrificial lamb out of the inferior eastern conference.

It shows you how small minded or insular the Quakes are if they're really thinking of once again hiring from the Yallop-Kinnear-Watson coaching tree (currently coaching 3 of the bottom 6 teams!) that every Quakes coach has come from since 2001... they could go Yallop-Kinnear-Yallop-Watson-Kinnear, which is just ridiculous.

The other concerning thing about Kinnear is that he's friends with Doyle, no? If they're going to get a new coach, and I hope they are, I'd want them to get someone with MLS experience in some form. There's unfortunately a finite supply of coaches or candidates that meet the criteria.

Yanks abroad today from McIntyre and Sciaretta:
Borussia Dortmund & Hamburg set to kick off in under 10 minutes. #usmnt winger Joe Gyau on the bench for BVB. Julian Green not in 18 for HSV

Fulham visit Middlesbrough with kickoff at 10am EST. #FFC improving recently after a horrible start. #USMNT mid Emerson Hyndman on the bench

After parting ways with manager Dougie Freedman yesterday, Bolton host Bournemouth. #usmnt CB Tim Ream starting for #BWFC

Geoff Cameron (hernia) still out, not in the 18 today for Stoke City vs. Sunderland. #usmnt

Jozy Altidore still looking for first start as Sunderland again goes with fwds Wickham and Fletcher vs. Stoke. #usmnt

How many games left and what form is looking like in MLS:

5sLskOo.png

xbhaskarx

If they're going to get a new coach, and I hope they are, I'd want them to get someone with MLS experience in some form. There's unfortunately a finite supply of coaches or candidates that meet the criteria.

Why? There are plenty of coaches having success in MLS over the last few years with no prior MLS coaching experience.

Why? There are plenty of coaches having success in MLS over the last few years with no prior MLS coaching experience.
Are there? Note that I mean experience with the league as a coach, assistant, or player beforehand. Just seems like most of the coaches brought in from abroad struggle with things like the salary cap, draft, travel issues, etc...

A couple recent ASN articles:

- Andrew Wooten Would Consider U.S. Call an Honor
The 25-year-old German-American is on a tremendous run of form for Sandhausen, where he is the only player to score for his club since August 22. Brian Sciaretta has more on the streaky striker
- Rubio Rubin Registers Two Delightful Assists Today
American teenager Rubio Rubin put on a terrific performance Saturday for Eredivisie side FC Utrecht, creating two goals that demonstrated impressive vision and touch. Highlights of both goals are right here.

xbhaskarx

Are there? Note that I mean experience with the league as a coach, assistant, or player beforehand. Just seems like most of the coaches brought in from abroad struggle with things like the salary cap, draft, travel issues, etc...

I thought you meant prior MLS coaching experience specifically, meaning retreads like the Franks Yallop and Klopas, I think we're in agreement here. I wouldn't mind if the Earthquakes gave a former player the job, but I can't think of a suitable one... maybe Joe Cannon?
They should consider Carl Robinson or Jim Curtin if either are out of a job this offseason. If US Soccer
Klinsmann
is really dumb enough to dump Hugo Perez, I'd give him the job in a heartbeat, maybe he can be the next Oscar Pareja.

Someone posted this on the current U-17 roster:
USA – Haji Wright (Christian Pulisic) 18th minute
USA – Josh Perez (John Nelson) 22
USA – Hugo Arellano (Haji Wright) 51
USA – Haji Wright (Christian Pulisic) 58
USA – Haji Wright (Alejandro Zendejas) 68

Lineups:USA: 1-Kevin Silva; 3-John Nelson, 5-Hugo Arellano, 4-Alexis Velela, 2-Matt Olosunde (20-Keegan Kelly, 89); 6-Eric Calvillo (capt.) (13-Tyler Adams, 83), 8-Luca de la Torre (16-Tommy McCabe, 76), 10-Christian Pulisic (17-McKinze Gaines, 76); 11-Josh Perez, 9-Alejandro Zendejas, 7-Haji Wright

Subs Not Used:12-William Pulisic, 14-Daniel Barbir, 15-Tanner Dieterich, 18-Pierre Da Silva, 19-Elijah Rice
Head Coach: Richie Williams

-----------------------

Historically, our U17 coaches have needed to overhaul their squad because very few of the U15s who were sent up the ladder were good enough, and that's to say nothing of the U14s.

This cycle looks radically different. The names in bold above are all from the following U14 camp. And we fired the guy who assembled this camp?

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/12/42/u14-bnt-meets-for-may-training-camp

And that would also include Joe Gallardo if he hadn't broken his leg...

Linius

+12 is the highest GD in Eastern. After 31 games. That's pretty bad :p

But seeing as LA Galaxy is second place in western I suppose GD don't matter for the league table?

ZZMitch

you need to come down here!!!

I am actually flying home to Maine next weekend since I have next monday off from school due to Canadian Thanksgiving. I fly in to Boston around 10am and asked my mom if I could take a little detour to Hartford for the Donovan game that night but they were having none of it... alas!

I hope TFC makes the playoffs and the Revs come up here to play so I can see another game live! If I come back to Maine this summer I will see some Revs games for sure, although I would be more excited to see the team live if they would get their act together and build their own stadium! Football lines made me sad today.

Arials

Has MLS always had this thing of counting "secondary assists" as assists?

Actually, I just googled it myself and it seems they actually made the rules defining assists more strict in 2002 and the old record holder played 6 seasons under the older more generous rules.

I am actually flying home to Maine next weekend since I have next monday off from school due to Canadian Thanksgiving. I fly in to Boston around 10am and asked my mom if I could take a little detour to Hartford for the Donovan game that night but they were having none of it... alas!

I hope TFC makes the playoffs and the Revs come up here to play so I can see another game live! If I come back to Maine this summer I will see some Revs games for sure, although I would be more excited to see the team live if they would get their act together and build their own stadium! Football lines made me sad today.

Pats play tomorrow night so...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Has MLS always had this thing of counting "secondary assists" as assists?

Actually, I just googled it myself and it seems they actually made the rules defining assists more strict in 2002 and the old record holder played 6 seasons under the older more generous rules.

I remember reading that if it weren't for missing games due to international duty Donovan would likely have claimed both records last year.

On secondary assists I like the idea behind it.

Wondo with MLS goal number 93, 89th with the Earthquakes... 7 between 2005 and 2009, 86 between 2010 and 2014.

Sweet baby jesus, I guess we know when he started eating his Wheaties...

Nyx

Rubin was MotM yesterday with his 2 assists.
He really deserves his first goal too, played terrific yesterday.

Shame we lost though, gave away a 2-0 lead and again missed so many chances..

NoTacos

Can someone explain how Donovan got the assist for that play? I get that he helped set it up, but wasn't it De La Garza that dished the scoring pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom