• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

Come on home, Jozy. Everyone else is.

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 4m
Jozy Altidore made it clear today he will seek a move away from Sunderland in January if his playing time situation doesn’t improve. #USMNT​

Osorio

Come on home, Jozy. Everyone else is.

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 4m
Jozy Altidore made it clear today he will seek a move away from Sunderland in January if his playing time situation doesn’t improve. #USMNT​

Just in time for RB to stop spending money on DPs

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well Henry and Cahill will be off the books next season I'm assuming. That's 7 mil off their checkbook. Perhaps they can give us a parting gift in Jozy???

false hope sucks

Isn't the rumor that Henry may be negotiating a one year extension? If we lose Cahill or Henry we should definitely pick up Jozy. I think he could do some real damage with this team.

Why do I even bother dreaming like this?

Osorio

Isn't the rumor that Henry may be negotiating a one year extension? If we lose Cahill or Henry we should definitely pick up Jozy. I think he could do some real damage with this team.

Why do I even bother dreaming like this?

I agree but it depends how much money RB is willing to spend if they actually are trying to sell the team. I mean, it would be a good move considering they will want the team to compete. It'd be much easier to sell an appreciating asset rather than a shit team who lost the limelight to NYCFC

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree but it depends how much money RB is willing to spend if they actually are trying to sell the team. I mean, it would be a good move considering they will want the team to compete. It'd be much easier to sell an appreciating asset rather than a shit team who lost the limelight to NYCFC

Picking up a starter from the US National Team would certainly help us when it comes to the media war against NYCFC. Even if they're looking to sell it would be a smart pick up, if only help to make the team more relevant in MLS.

Having said all that, he may not be looking to come back to MLS.

Askani

Trinidad And Tobago Women's Soccer Team Could Use Help With Meal Money

Trinidad and Tobago just made it to the United States for the final round of qualifying for the 2015 Women's World Cup, a goal the island nation has never achieved in its 23 years of fielding a women's soccer team. It's not going to be easy: the "Soca Princesses" have arrived with, quite literally, not much more than the kits on their backs.

Their (unpaid) coach is Randy Waldrum of the NWSL's Houston Dash, but who is probably better known for leading Notre Dame to national titles in 2004 and 2010. When the T&T women arrived in Dallas last night, Waldrum was shocked to learn just how unprepared their Football Association left them.

Their Football association sent them with $500...total.

More at link: http://deadspin.com/preview/trinida...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Some discussion about how many preseason friendlies against European foes we're likely to see in the future:

- Pirate or Pioneer?: Leiweke brothers query European club intentions in North American soccer
Are European club matches in North America bad for domestic soccer?

It’s not the first time the question has been asked and certainly won’t be the last. But on Wednesday brothers Tod and Tim Leiweke made some serious noise when they told the ‘Leaders in Sport Summit’ that they were against reported plans for European clubs to play matches in North America.

Reports of that interest came from the Daily Mail, which suggested UEFA was considering staging mini-tournaments outside Europe, while other reports said a number of Premier League have discussed playing regular season games abroad.

For Tim, current president of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment which owns Toronto FC, and Tod, current CEO of Tampa Bay Sports & Entertainment who once held the same title for the Seattle Sounders, this kind of chatter begs the question to European football’s elite clubs: ‘Will you be a pirate or will you be a pioneer?’

“Are you going to use North America just as an opportunity to make some additional dollars or are you going to commit to taking the sport to the next level and help to grow Major League Soccer?” Tod asked the room at Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge.

The challenge for MLS and American soccer, according to Tim Leiweke, is to figure out the intentions of Premier League clubs that play pre-season friendlies in the US. “Are those competitors our partners or do they see that North American landscape and want to take money out of that landscape? Therein lies the challenge for Major League Soccer.”

While 10 years ago it was fine for European clubs to summer in the US and make money before jetting home, now, according to the Leiweke’s, it isn’t. As a league and as a fan-base MLS has grown immensely over the last decade the time has come for it to be treated that way.

Manchester City is one pioneer that has done so. Citing their work in New York City and the signings of David Villa and Frank Lampard as evidence, Tod Leiweke set forth the counter-position: “At the same time, you look at the news about UEFA thinking about moving a meaningful series of games over to North America. Is that good or bad for Major League Soccer? Is that a pioneer vision or is that a pirate move? Therein lies the debate.”

And what a fascinating debate it is.

There’s no doubt that European clubs venture to the US to spread their brand and make money but what constitutes fair compensation for MLS sides that agree to host those matches? Are they owed money? Community service? Publicity abroad? Reciprocity? After all, when is the last time a MLS side was handed a full pre-season friendly by a Premier League club?

One thing is for sure, the Leiweke’s are adamant that something is amiss and it’s hard to argue otherwise. MLS has made major strides over the last 10 years and is no longer the little cousin in a rich family who can be leaned on for lunch money. But if the Leiweke’s are going to take the hardline approach, they need to provide solutions. And when they do, expect this topic to gain some serious (and deserved) momentum.

More on the Altidore situation:
@JeffreyCarlisle said:
Jozy Altidore on situation at Sunderland. "If it doesn’t turn around, in January then I’ll be looking to start elsewhere." #usmnt

Altidore added that his standing with Klinsmann and #usmnt is what is driving his willingness to look elsewhere. #usmnt

EDIT: Longer story from Carlisle:
"I thought I've done everything I could this season to come in fit, and get as fit as possible with the injury, and try and make an impact when I played," Altidore told reporters before Wednesday's training session with the U.S. national team.

Altidore's relative lack of playing time has left him concerned about his standing with U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann, who has urged his men to play for clubs where they can be regular fixtures in the starting XI.

"[The next] four years, I want to be part of the national team," said Altidore. "Jurgen makes his messages very clear, and nobody is different.

"If it doesn't turn around, in January then I'll be looking to start elsewhere, and make sure I'm in his plans going forward."

Meier

Very surprised that haskar hasn't posted this yet. :p

Alexi Lalas ‏@AlexiLalas
A source at @USsoccer tells me that @J_Klinsmann's son emailed Landon Donovan an apology right after the #USMNT tweet incident in May.

Alexi Lalas ‏@AlexiLalas
A source at @USsoccer tells me that @J_Klinsmann called Landon Donovan about 10 days ago w/ all details re his upcoming final #USMNT game.

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
U.S. Soccer source also says Klinsmann left Donovan a voicemail in week before SI interview 9/26.

Donovan lying about multiple things? Shocking stuff.

Osorio

I'm not even a fan of Columbus but i'm kinda excited to see what their rebrand is.

I'm fond of the blue collar homies but it's always interesting to see a new direction.

It was the second best crest Nike did after DC United. It's amazing that the Revs crest is still going.

I'm fond of the blue collar homies but it's always interesting to see a new direction.

It was the second best crest Nike did after DC United. It's amazing that the Revs crest is still going.

I kinda hope they find a use for them in the new one, but I'm more than willing to be it'll be a circle with Columbus Crew lettering.

And the DC United one is one of the best overall. It's great.

Very surprised that haskar hasn't posted this yet. :p

Donovan being a petulant child? I can totally see it. This won't stop the "Klinnsman sux, Donovan RULEZ" circlejerk though.

Meier

Donovan being a petulant child? I can totally see it. This won't stop the "Klinnsman sux, Donovan RULEZ" circlejerk though.

Basically he did everything possible in that interview to confirm why he didn't go to the World Cup. Can you imagine how he'd act if he didn't play? He'd have been an absolute cancer.

There's a few more retrospective articles on US Soccer:

- Altidore Says 'There will Never be Another like Donovan.'
- Donovan’s Dominance Against Mexico, Part 1
- Donovan’s Dominance Against Mexico, Part 2
- Landon Donovan by the Numbers
- A Star Is Born with the 1999 U-17 MNT
- Donovan Becomes the USA's Goal Scoring King in 2008
- Coach and Teammates Remember Donovan with U-17 MNT

Also:
- Fox Sports: Landon Donovan departs U.S. national team after glittering career

No matter what happened (and it's unclear to me what exactly transpired between him and Klinsmann) it stinks that this is hanging over his last game with the USMNT.

Meier

No matter what happened (and it's unclear to me what exactly transpired between him and Klinsmann) it stinks that this is hanging over his last game with the USMNT.

Agreed. He's definitely a legendary figure for US Soccer and it would have been nice if this wasn't clouding the game. I imagine Joe USMNT fan has no clue about the interview though and will just think it's cool to see him get a send off. But all of this is on him -- he simply has no knowledge of how to or apparently no interest in diffusing things.

#NewCrew unveiling was supposed to start right now but it looks like it's delayed perhaps? Live stream says 15 mins yet: http://www.thecrew.com/news/2014/10/watch-live-newcrew-reveal-party

Basically he did everything possible in that interview to confirm why he didn't go to the World Cup. Can you imagine how he'd act if he didn't play? He'd have been an absolute cancer.

Agreed. He's definitely a legendary figure for US Soccer and it would have been nice if this wasn't clouding the game. I imagine Joe USMNT fan has no clue about the interview though and will just think it's cool to see him get a send off. But all of this is on him -- he simply has no knowledge of how to or apparently no interest in diffusing things.

Yep. I'm glad he wasn't at the world cup, and people can play all the "well Donovan would've made that goal!" all they want, if he was acting like he is now then I would want him nowhere near the team... He seems to enjoy basking in the drama at the moment and he has a legion of followers hanging on every word and no reason to stop.

He's a fantastic player, but as we should all know great players aren't necessarily great people.

I really don't like the deification of Donovan though, treating his word like gospel and shouting down criticism (looking at you /r/mls). This whole thing stank from the beginning.

US Roster for Friday. Anyone want to throw together a lineup?
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Julian Green (Hamburg), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt)

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

Crew Youtube unveiling clock at 2 mins for those interested.
Hopefully there won't be endless filler before they actually reveal things.

Meier

Hopefully there won't be endless filler before they actually reveal things.

Youtube still says starting soon. Weird. Well, I guess the stream is just going to say that until 7:45 Eastern or something, who knows. I was an hour early when I posted before (woops) but the Youtube clock seemingly wasn't indicative of anything.

New Crew badge looks great :)

BzdquOwIYAEnQPc.jpg

I love that the 96 is in the same shape as our old crest.

And I love it's "SC" and not "FC." We don't call it football, so that makes it more distinctly American. They are pushing the team as America's first team in the MLS (With an soccer-specific stadium)

Definitely excited.

I love that the 96 is in the same shape as our old crest.

And I love it's "SC" and not "FC." We don't call it football, so that makes it more distinctly American. They are pushing the team as America's first team in the MLS (With an soccer-specific stadium)

Definitely excited.

Yeah I appreciate that. I always found the FC thing dumb in MLS, like those teams are trying way too hard.

Esch

Banned
I like that Crew logo. Reminds me of a lot of Bundesliga logos, feels inspired. Well, anything is better than that ripoff NYCFC logo.

I also like the new Crew crest.

Finally the league has moved on from the last remaining embarrassing club badge. The Revs' is still kinda shitty but at least it's unique and looks somewhat professional.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I also like the new Crew crest.

Finally the league has moved on from the last remaining embarrassing club badge. The Revs' is still kinda shitty but at least it's unique and looks somewhat professional.

I dunno, I think the two NY ones need changing. Neither one is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom