• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
The NYC inside nycfc's is really distracting. I think if they got rid of that it would go along way. But that won't happen.

all i can think of when i see it is:

brand.gif

Two clubs playing within a stone's throw of the country's most iconic skyline and no one references it. Its sad.

Yep. NYCFC really missed their opportunity...

Quick 5 minute fix. Add in some other buildings cause I was incredibly lazy and you'd be set.

Yuck.

Couldn't even do it with 7(?!) minutes of stoppage time. Lol.

Really nice. Always hated the old crest.
Has a bit of Bundesliga-crest style doesn't it?

edit: already posted, sorry.

I like that Crew logo. Reminds me of a lot of Bundesliga logos, feels inspired. Well, anything is better than that ripoff NYCFC logo.

It's intentional and meant to reflect Columbus' large German heritage; at their peak, the city's population was one-third German immigrants.

Meier

@J_Klinsmann: #USMNT @J_Green37 still isn’t 100 percent from his rib injury, so we are sending him back to Hamburg to continue recovery. #USAvECU

Unlucky. Would have liked to see him hopefully continue to get a bigger role in these games. Next break will be here before we know it though.

Osorio

Wednesday's Houston win over Toronto did a lot to help clear up the playoff picture. Metro can actually clinch this weekend with the following results:

A win over Toronto AND
A Houston loss or tie to DC Scum

Theoretically, Philadelphia can still pass Metro even with the above scenario. However, the Worms play Columbus twice during their last three matches. So if they win out, there is no way Columbus can pick up more than three points, meaning there is no way the Crew can pass Metro.

Let's get it done! We'll be without Cahill, Oyongo, and Miller though

Petke is thinking of starting Armando as a LB

Eckersley is most likely going to get another turn. I don't think Duvall is in the doghouse as much as it's fatigue. This is his first season outside of college soccer which is 16-20 games if I'm not mistaken.

- Jeff Carlisle: Sources: Juan Agudelo gets Wolverhampton Wanderers trial
The Washington Post reported on Sunday that Agudelo is pursuing a European Union passport by acquiring property in Cyprus. The Post also stated that New York City FC, who will also begin MLS play in 2015, has also expressed interest. But a league source stated that no approach has been made on behalf of the expansion club, and that any link between Agudelo and NYCFC was "not accurate."

In terms of Agudelo's relationship with Wolves, one source confirmed that the club views his stay in England as a trial as opposed to just a training stint. At present, Agudelo is free to train and participate in U-21 matches, and is scheduled to take part in Friday's match against Queens Park Rangers Development Squad.

Because Agudelo isn't being paid by the club, his presence there doesn't qualify as work. Instead his trial is seen as an interview ahead of securing a move, allowing him to be in the country without a work permit.

Nesotenso

So he held out that long and goes for a trial with a championship team? What's so special about England that he wants so badly to end up there?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

xbhaskarx

Very surprised that haskar hasn't posted this yet. :p

Donovan lying about multiple things? Shocking stuff.

Sorry to disappoint you, busy day... but if I'm being called out by name:

I think Klismann has pretty much proven through is comments to be full of shit over the last few years (confirming what others like Lahm have said about him). It's a bit frustrating for those who actually believe words have meanings, although it is amusing to watch his personality cult engage in mental gymnastics to justify his bizarre decisions based on his comments like amateur Kremlinologists. Klinsmann's statements are about as internally consistent as your average thousand-plus year old religious text. Of course those holy books are followed by billions of people so I'm not surprised self-loathing Eurosnobs (granted some others are just suffering from Stockholm Syndrome) believe everything he says just because he was once a star Euro player (it's true he's a better coach than other former stars like Maradona or #1 worst MLS coach Ruud Gullit, but then Klinsmann did unleash #4 on that list Aron Winter on the league).

Donovan being a petulant child? I can totally see it. This won't stop the "Klinnsman sux, Donovan RULEZ" circlejerk though.

What's really amusing about this comment is that anyone who expressed agreement with Donovan's position did so when it was the only one out there, and now you're mocking those people for circlejerking while simultaneously buying into the other position now that there are two competing (and mutually exclusive, barring some strange timing stuff and LD not checking his email) stories.

Personally I'm willing to consider all evidence. I can't think of any case over the last decade where Donovan has straight up made false statements, but who knows maybe he is a liar as well (whitney houston receipts . gif)... are there any examples you'd like to share? From what I've observed, Donovan is far too honest, from publicly discussing his mental fatigue before his infamous hiatus (that mostly coincided with the offseason and caused him to miss 3.5 of the Galaxy's league games) to handing Klinsmann the rope to hang him with his pre-WC comments in that ESPN video series, as if not being the same player he used to be meant he's not still better than a guy like Brad Davis will ever be. With Klinsmann, on the other hand, it seems to me like there is almost no connection between what he says and does. Since I asked for examples from Donovan, here's one I dug up, reaching way back to October 7 of the year 2014:

"We left quite a few of the experienced players out because we want to give the younger players a chance to break in. Guys like...Chris Wondolowski...are not in this roster...simply because we want to see the youngsters make their point." -Klinsmann October 6, 2014

Chris Wondolowski added to USA roster for friendly vs. Ecuador -October 7, 2014... because when you're giving younger players a chance to break in why call up Andrew Wooten or Jack McInerney or half a dozen guys who wouldn't be 35 in Russia.

Can you imagine how he'd act if he didn't play? He'd have been an absolute cancer.

You seem pretty sure of that, based on... who knows what.

When Klinsmann left Donovan out of hex games following his hiatus, saying he had to work his way back into the team, he completely dominated the 2013 Gold Cup like few have dominated a tournament before. And then in the hex he had both the goal and assist in the 2-0 win over Mexico to clinch qualification.

Also, Donovan didn't start in back to back games elimination games for the US at a tournament once: the quarterfinal and semifinal of the 2011 Gold Cup. He came in as a substitute and made the game-winning assist to Dempsey in the 1-0 semifinal win over Panama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxbYvmAdI0I

Still, it was up in the air whether he'd start the final against Mexico or not. According to Bradley:

Will Bradley stick with the same 4-2-3-1 lineup he’s used in the Gold Cup elimination rounds and leave his most accomplished player on the bench?

The coach answered in typically vague fashion.

“There are many factors. The way we play, what we think this game will be like, what you need at the beginning of the game, what you might need as the game goes on,” Bradley said.

“There are so many different factors. These are all things that the staff discusses and often times we discuss with different players. (Donovan) has been part of some of the discussions, even leading into decisions in the last two games and it will work the same way.”

Donovan's reaction before the game:

“No competitor ever likes to start on the bench so if anyone says that, they are lying to you,” Donovan said here. “Fortunately I don't get paid to make those decisions. What’s important for me is not when I play, where I play, how many minutes I am playing. It is that I am effective when I do play. I know I am fit enough to play, I know I am capable of playing. The last two games it made sense for me not to start the game.”

He added, “Bob’s told me that they are still debating on how they are going to use me (against Mexico) and I am going to be prepared either way. The important thing is that when I do get on the field, I am ready and I am helping the team win."

Donovan's reaction in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTjxVoLGxyw
(by the way he was also right there at the far post on Bradley's header, just in case)

But hey if you say he'd be an "absolute cancer" who can dispute that rock solid argument....

===

On another note, I find it interesting that some people are so ready to believe what some anonymous source at US Soccer told Alexi Lalas and that he tweeted out (does the source have first hand knowledge? has he seen the email or have proof of the phone call? or is that just what he has been told?). I assume those same people must really be convinced that Klinsmann is a completely incompetent coach based on Brian Straus' 5,000+ word Sporting News article which had 22 sources....

In that case there was good reason for the anonymity, Klinsmann is running things and could really harm someone's career if they publicly spoke out against him. I'm not sure why anonymity is necessary here, Donovan has no real power (see: getting left off the WC roster) and his international career will be over in another 30 minutes. People discussing what kind of guy he is have nothing to really gain (aside from Arena for a couple more months, we'll have to see if he comes out with a Lahm-style book exposing Donovan as a fraud once the season ends).
Donovan pretty much publicly accused Klinsmann of being a two faced liar, if Klinsmann can provide evidence (emails, voicemails) that Donovan is lying to harm his reputation, he should do so to reputable journalists, what could even diehard "Donovan circlejerkers" do at that point but accept it?

======

EDIT: MYSTERY SOLVED

Brian Straus @BrianStraus

Klinsmann says he hadn't talked to LD since May. He left msgs on LD's cell, but number was changed. His son sent email to an old address.

6:33 PM - 10 Oct 2014

May... that was well before the World Cup, hell the cuts from camp were near the end of May. That seems to back up Donovan comment that they haven't spoken since the summer.

So Klinsmann and his son didn't have Donovan's current phone number or email address? It must be tough for the US national team coach and technical director to get that kind of up-to-date contact info for a professional soccer player, maybe they got off Donovan's old geocities homepage instead asking US Soccer or the LA Galaxy... hilarous.

Well you were also the person who disparaged any "Klinsmann fanboys" as you so put it.

All I'm saying is I can totally believe Donovan acting like a petulant child. It happens all the time with sports stars and well, stars in general, especially ones that have been fellated by the media as "the best ever" and blah blah blah (not that he isn't the face of american soccer, nor it's best player). He took being left off the team personally and he knows he will have the american sports media under his thumb no matter what happens.

But we can't be critical of Donovan lest we be called "Klinsmann fanboys", sooooo....

Not that it really matters at this point. Something happened when Donovan was left off the team. What it is is neither here nor there anymore. He's retiring. He's being honored tomorrow night end of story. If Landon was not fit, for whatever reason in Klinsmann's eyes to play in the world cup, then so be it. It's done and over with.

Gonna add some actual news:

U.S. Soccer ‏@ussoccer 40m40 minutes ago
From the #USMNT press conference w/ @J_Klinsmann: "90 minutes for Brad Guzan in the first game, 90 minutes for Nick Rimando in the 2nd gm."

Folks, if you're arguing with someone else in the thread, just make sure you're addressing their argument rather than hurling insults, generalizing about other posters by labeling them as fanboys, or complaining about their circlejerk. I'm sure you get the point, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Thank you.

A couple more snippets from the presser:
@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann on Brooks demotion: "That's the educational process he's going through in Berlin." #usmnt

@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann says his understanding is that Brooks will be back with Hertha Berlin's first team after international break. #usmnt

@JeffreyCarlisle: 33,000 tix sold/4,000 tickets remaining for Friday's game. #usmnt
There should be a few articles out later.

Regarding Klinsman's tactical acumen, I really don't know who to believe here. One of the most highly regarded German players of his era or Juergen Klinsman?

xbhaskarx

All I'm saying is I can totally believe Donovan acting like a petulant child. It happens all the time with sports stars and well, stars in general, especially ones that have been fellated by the media as "the best ever" and blah blah blah (not that he isn't the face of american soccer, nor it's best player). He took being left off the team personally and he knows he will have the american sports media under his thumb no matter what happens.

Soo... no actual evidence that you can provide, then? Just that "you can totally see it" because "sports stars"? You do realize Klinsmann was also a pretty big sports star, right?
The media will hardly care about Donovan in mere months, he will no longer be playing for club or country and has like negative charisma. If Klinsmann provides actual evidence of phone calls and emails, what's the "under Donovan's thumb media" going to do, not report it? He is the coach of the national team through 2018, not some powerless victim.

Regarding Klinsman's tactical acumen, I really don't know who to believe here. One of the most highly regarded German players of his era or Juergen Klinsman?

Not just Lahm:
http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/...ach-national-team-usa-american-world-cup-2013

Soo... no actual evidence that you can provide, then? Just that "you can totally see it" because "sports stars"? You do realize Klinsmann was also a pretty big sports star, right?

You'll noticed I haven't said anything about Klinsmann handling this yet, nor have I said anything remotely related to "well Donovan acting like a jackass is totally 100% true", just that it's totally possible Donovan isn't a freaking saint in this whole thing like everyone is making him out to be. No idea why you're getting all defensive about this. I just pointed out my opinion on the issue with no definitive about who was right and who was wrong and you seem to be taking a huge issue with me not being 100% enamored with Donovan or believing that he is 100% the victim in this...

And yes, I am completely aware of Klinsmann's career and what he's done. No I'm not saying he's been vindicated by sourced tweeted by Lalas. Nor am I saying he is infallible, nor he's the greatest thing to happen to American Soccer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom