• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cystm

So it needs to be LA FC for you to support them?

Genuinely asking

No. I am supporter of Chicago sports. I would find the name change to be more respectable.

Edit: I dislike the name Fire. I have been a Chicago Cubs fan my whole life. If they were to change their name to Chicago Baseball Club, I do not think I would back it, not for tradition, but because there is the Sox to consider and the names would likely then been focused on the sides of Chicago they each represent, and there is enough divisiveness in that way already.

The name Chicago Fire is I am assuming meant to represent how Chicago came together after the great fire, but if they were after that, I would prefer Chicago United, not Chicago Disaster.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No. I am supporter of Chicago sports. I would find the name change to be more respectable.

Edit: I dislike the name Fire. I have been a Chicago Cubs fan my whole life. If they were to change their name to Chicago Baseball Club, I do not think I would back it, not for tradition, but because there is the Sox to consider and the names would likely then been focused on the sides of Chicago the each represent, and there is enough divisiveness in that way already.

The name Chicago Fire is I am assuming meant to represent how Chicago came together after the great fire, but if they were after that, I would prefer Chicago United, not Chicago Disaster.

DC is already United, so that's taken. Plus it's not quite as catchy as Fire is.

Osorio

I dunno. I find Football Club or even Soccer Club on American teams to be disingenuous because they didn't start as clubs and they aren't now. They're franchises at the end of the day, and I doubt they'll start operating as clubs anytime soon.

Plus I like Chicago Fire because it's immediately local, and a significant part of the city's history. You can have a team called the Tulsa Fire but no other city would have a double meaning by naming their team the Fire.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I dunno. I find Football Club or even Soccer Club on American teams to be disingenuous because they didn't start as clubs and they aren't now. They're franchises at the end of the day, and I doubt they'll start operating as clubs anytime soon.

Plus I like Chicago Fire because it's immediately local, and a significant part of the city's history. You can have a team called the Tulsa Fire but no other city would have a double meaning by naming their team the Fire.

Agreed, the Galaxy, Revolution and Fire probably have the cleverest names in MLS. Galaxy in particular is good once you get it.

Osorio

Agreed, the Galaxy, Revolution and Fire probably have the cleverest names in MLS. Galaxy in particular is good once you get it.

True.

I wonder who thought Wiz was a good idea lol

Burn, Clash were weird ones too

Rapids sounds too friendly imo

Metrostars is weak too but nobody said Metrostars. It was always Metro.

Cystm

I disagree entirely on the part about the names being clever. I find them tacky and unprofessional. Middle School team name tier.

The Cubs were formed in 1870 as the Chicago White Stockings. By 1890, local sportswriters had dubbed the team the Colts in reference to the team’s youth and inexperience, and the name stuck. In 1897, when the team lost its popular coach, Cap “Pop” Anson, sports reporters took to calling the team the Orphans and the Remnants.

According to reports, Cubs was first coined in 1902, although the nicknames Orphans and Remnants were still also used until 1906, when Cubs became the only nickname

It doesn't really mean anything. Most of the name's of our favorite teams came to be similarly to this and just stuck.

Edit:
I do think it would be very bland if every soccer team was _City name_ FC/SC, but those are not the only alternatives either. I think there is a better way to achieve the message in the names Chicago, New England and LA have chosen.

To put in other words, If there was a team called the New York 9/11's - I think we can agree on that being tacky and not at all there is to offer about the city, it's history and the message such a name is attempting to convey and that's how I feel about the name of the Chicago Fire. There is a better way.

Esch

Banned
I don't mind really as long as people aren't calling it Futbol. So corny for a majority English speaking country lol.

Osorio

I don't mind really as long as people aren't calling it Futbol. So corny for a majority English speaking country lol.

How is that any different from calling it football when the majority of the country thinks of football as that other game?

cruets

May I ask why? What meaning does the name hold for you?

Genuinely interested in your point of view.

its the name the team since its been. better than generic shit like sc or fc. dropping the name would be like the rolling stones calling themselves london rock group, or the beatles calling themselve liverpool rock band...just my feeling on it. i never watch original NASL , my first game was a San Jose Clash game in 96, i still miss that name. Atleast the Galaxy can represent the orignal MLS name scheme

cruets

True.

I wonder who thought Wiz was a good idea lol

Burn, Clash were weird ones too

Rapids sounds too friendly imo

Metrostars is weak too but nobody said Metrostars. It was always Metro.

i really liked the Clash name. made me think of the punk band. i would always think of clash songs, earthquakes is so boring

Cystm

I much prefer the SC moniker for American teams if they feel the need to use it. FC is silly

I think it is as silly if not more that we call the game Soccer to begin with. The FC represents going against that logic and so I am for it. Though, yes, it is all rather silly unfortunately.

its the name the team since its been. better than generic shit like SC or FC. dropping the name would be like the rolling stones calling themselves London rock group, or the Beatles calling themselves Liverpool rock band...just my feeling on it. i never watch original NASL , my first game was a San Jose Clash game in 96, i still miss that name. At least the Galaxy can represent the original MLS name scheme

I can appreciate where you are coming from on this to a degree, though I do not believe comparing rock and roll groups names to professional sports organizations names is really accurate.

Osorio

i really liked the Clash name. made me think of the punk band. i would always think of clash songs, earthquakes is so boring

Yeah that's why there's that supporter's group The Casbah

I didn't think it was terrible, just odd. Using clash in soccer songs seems odd. Then again, I guess you would just sing San Jose instead of Clash

cruets

I think it is as silly if not more that we call the game Soccer to begin with. The FC represents going against that logic and so I am for it. Though, yes, it is all rather silly unfortunately.

I can appreciate where you are coming from on this to a degree, though I do not believe comparing rock and roll groups names to professional sports organizations names is really accurate.

well my favorite football team is the raiders even though they suck, oakland raiders is better than oakland football club, just not much attitude

Eh. I'm neither here nor there on the term "soccer" since it has it's roots in England and football to begin with but if we're going to call it "soccer" and "major league soccer" and the "us soccer federation" then any team name with "fc" or "football club" just doesn't work for me. It's wildly inconsistent with everything

Cystm

Eh. I'm neither here nor there on the term "soccer" since it has it's roots in England and football to begin with but if we're going to call it "soccer" and "major league soccer" and the "us soccer federation" then any team name with "fc" or "football club" just doesn't work for me. It's wildly inconsistent with everything

It used to be US Soccer Football Association, so It would be Major League Soccer Football though, right?. It's like creating a league dubbed "American Footy League." It's a nickname. This is a professional sport, we should treat it as such.

But, I am sure this is a conversation that has been done to death. I think you will agree with me in saying: fuck that to going down that path.

I'd be the NJ Sharts over being RBNY

I am with you on that.
Montpelier Liter A Cola's? Louisville Hooch!

Roster changes for the US:
Brooks, Gonzalez, Donovan, Gyau, Gil, Guzan headed out.
Besler, Bradley, Jones, Sean Johnson, Zusi, Dempsey coming in.

Osorio

Btw Metro-GAF

With hockey on all MSG networks, the game will be on Univision Deportes live with a tape delay at 10 on MSG+ I believe

xbhaskarx

Donovan stats

10645175_10152639634558941_9207038023586820811_n.png

10354146_10152639634568941_1860280229771519060_n.png

10418906_10152639634553941_8507900087881529347_n.png

10177531_10152639634658941_8166028125672778532_n.png

10625151_10152639634678941_6875587113002912397_n.png

I didn't know Bradley was there

The jersey Gulati presented to him:

xbhaskarx

Very surprised that no one has posted this yet. :p

Brian Straus @BrianStraus

Klinsmann says he hadn't talked to LD since May. He left msgs on LD's cell, but number was changed. His son sent email to an old address.

6:33 PM - 10 Oct 2014

May... that was well before the World Cup, hell the cuts from camp were near the end of May. That seems to back up Donovan comment that they haven't spoken since the summer.

So Klinsmann and his son didn't have Donovan's current phone number or email address? It must be tough for the US national team coach and technical director to get that kind of up-to-date contact info for a professional soccer player, maybe they got off Donovan's old geocities homepage instead asking US Soccer or the LA Galaxy... hilarous.

===

Moving on... in the latest "what the fuck is he even talking about" comment:
Jurgen Klinsmann says team U.S.A. door always open for Landon Donovan

"We wish him only the best and I told him before the game that this door is always open to him. This is his team, this is his cycle. He built this team and he's done so many things for U.S. soccer, so he deserves the biggest crowds and the cheers and we told him before the game tonight, 'enjoy it.'"

What does ANY of that mean?? What "door"? How is it "always" open to him? How is "this his cycle" when he's retiring / being pushed out at the very beginning of the cycle?

It remains to be seen what Klinsmann meant by saying, "the door is always open" for Donovan to return.

Too bad we don't have actual soccer journalists or one could ask him what any of the bs that comes out of his mouth means....

xbhaskarx

Given your track record having just days ago said Donovan was "being a petulant child" when his comments turned out to be accurate, you'll excuse me if I don't put much stock in your latest "Klinsmann being sincere" interpretation...

Given your track record having just days ago said Donovan was "being a petulant child" when his comments turned out to be accurate, you'll excuse me if I don't put much stock in your latest "Klinsmann being sincere" interpretation...

Good for you. Just pointing out that anything Jurgen says isn't a slight against Saint Donovan here..

Especially since you seem to think he's getting force out when the decision to retire is all on him but CONSPIRACY!!!!

xbhaskarx

Yeah sure, just like Klinsmann was obviously being totally sincere when he was calling Donovan at an old phone number and having his son write letters to a defunct email address. If any of that even happened, seems like an awfully convenient excuse that can't be disputed...

Clearly Donovan isn't being force out, he was just cut from the World Cup roster in favor of guys like Davis/Wondo/Green/Mix/Zusi/Bedoya, and then the coach didn't talk to him once from May all the way to October when he had to.
Obviously he should have taken that as a sign that "the door is always open" to him with the national team instead of that retirement would be a mere formality at that point... I mean who wouldn't interpret the snub followed by deafening silence that way?

Yep it totally is. Everything is an excuse when you go against a saint.

Good thing Klinsmann doesn't owe anyone shit regarding his decision. None whatsoever but keep on keeping on

And I don't see anything about him being forced out. I see a decision made by the coach of the team to leave him off for any reason including other people having played better during qualifying and training. Nothing more nothing less. And the fact that you're entertaining the idea is laughable.

xbhaskarx

You keep sarcastically using the word "saint" when earlier you couldn't provide any examples of Donovan's statements not being honest, and the conflicting accounts based on which you called him "a petulant child" appears to have now been settled in his favor.

Just reading your comments and attempting to interpret whatever the fuck you're getting at is probably putting a dent in my IQ so I'm going to do the sensible thing and put you on ignore, I suggest you do the same. It will be like putting a soundproof paper bag over your head, or going back to how things were before you showed up here in June as part of the World Cup crowd.

DOOP

You keep sarcastically using the word "saint" when earlier you couldn't provide any examples of Donovan's statements not being honest, and the conflicting accounts based on which you called him "a petulant child" appears to have now been settled in his favor.

Just reading your comments and attempting to interpret whatever the fuck you're getting at is probably putting a dent in my IQ so I'm going to do the sensible thing and put you on ignore, I suggest you do the same. It will be like putting a soundproof paper bag over your head, or going back to how things were before you showed up here in June as part of the World Cup crowd.

Good. I hate dealing with ignorance and fundamentalism and I want absolutely nothing to do with you and you crusade against everything so enjoy getting unreasonably mad at Jurgen, I'm going to enjoy a player who has accomplished more and actually won a World Cup over saint Donovan. I am the Klinsmann fanboy you hate and know he's doing well for the team and completely agree with him leaving ladycakes off the team cause it gave is your bitter tears avout the whole thing.

FUCKIN ANDREW WENGER DOOOOOOOP

This team does not deserve the fucking playoffs.

MacMath needed to go for the fucking ball

Fuck MacMath

Fuck this organization

Fuck Philly sports always disappointing

Being on 20-fucking-15

Fuck. I'm done with this year.

xbhaskarx

I'm going to enjoy a player who has accomplished more and actually won a World Cup over saint Donovan.

Klinsmann didn't win the World Cup. His team finished third as host in 2006 (whereas Germany finished second in 2002 and third in 2010), and sqeaked out of the group on goal differential in 2014. He's a coach, not a player, if what a coach did as a player was relevant Jose Mournho wouldn't have a job and the US should have hired Diego Maradona. Or are you going to "enjoy" him playing for orange county blue star?

I am the Klinsmann fanboy you hate

Yes.

Fuck. I'm done with this year.

Bye!

Klinsmann didn't win the World Cup. His team finished third as host in 2006 (whereas Germany finished second in 2002 and third in 2010), and sqeaked out of the group on goal differential in 2014. He's a coach, not a player, if what a coach did as a player was relevant Jose Mournho wouldn't have a job and the US should have hired Diego Maradona.

Bye!

He won as a player. More than Landon did Don't be thick.

And maradona as a coach lol you are delusional

Azuran

Banned
Thank you for sucking as well Philly. Now I can stop caring and stop watching for good this year. I can't wait to hear the excuses TFC's management will come up to explain this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom