• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Geeze, how many teams just got knocked out of the playoffs by these results?

Looks like Philadelphia and Houston are out. I don't think Toronto has been eliminated yet, they have 40 points and Columbus have 46, two games left each. If Toronto wins twice and Columbus loses twice, that would put them both at 46 and Toronto would have two more wins, which is now the first tiebreaker.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't wait to hear the excuses TFC's management will come up to explain this mess.

I bet it's gonna be a really good one and by good I mean absolutely hilarious.

2 goal to go to tie, 3 to break that record #Dare2BWP

Looks like Philadelphia and Houston are out. I don't think Toronto has been eliminated yet, they have 40 points and Columbus have 46, two games left each. If Toronto wins twice and Columbus loses twice, that would put them both at 46 and Toronto would have two more wins, which is now the first tiebreaker.

After this I figure Toronto is all but done. They just got smoked in a game they really needed to win. Hopefully DC can pull a result off tomorrow so NY can clinch a berth.

xbhaskarx

This Comcast (bay area) feed for the RSL-Quakes game is a joke, for some reason instead of having actual live audio from the stadium they're just playing a loop of random crowd noise. RSL has scored twice, and there wasn't so much as a polite cheer both times.

Osorio

Looking at the standings we actually have a chance to finish at the #1 seed

Minuscule chance but I figured it wasn't mathematically possible.

Eastern conference...

xbhaskarx

Orlando City's biggest position needs going into MLS expansion draft

775x436

xbhaskarx

Fabian Castillo with a goal in the 88th minute to give FC Dallas a 2-1 lead.

As a neutral LA Galaxy losing is good because it keeps them even with Seattle (60 points in 32 games) going into their two game pre-playoff playoff series.

Heretic

Galaxy nooooooooooooooooo!

Fabian Castillo with a goal in the 88th minute to give FC Dallas a 2-1 lead.

As a neutral LA Galaxy losing is good because it keeps them even with Seattle (60 points in 32 games) going into their two game pre-playoff playoff series.

Should be a fun two-game series. Going to the game on the 19th.

xbhaskarx

Now I'm bummed that we'll never see Nguyen and Donovan play together on the national team...

Actually I want see a Revs-Galaxy hybrid team for maximum entertainment

Keane-Zardes
Donovan-Nguyen-Rowe
Jones

MLS announces fan-faced jersey number initiative for season ticket holders in August 2015

MLS-fan-numbered-jersey.jpg

MLS clubs have taken a variety of initiatives in recent years to pay tribute to fans with their jersey designs, but never quite like this.

MLS announced on Monday that in August 2015, season ticket holders will be given the opportunity to have pictures of their faces printed within the numbers on the back of player jerseys at their favorite club. Teams will wear these special numbers on their home, road and alternate jerseys during all regular-season games in August,

It makes MLS the first league to utilize this platform, provided by Spanish company Playing2, which Mexico's national team, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have already used.

Each MLS club will make this initiative available to a specific number of qualifying season ticket holders, who will be sent an email providing them access to a portal on the club’s website. Once there, those fans will then be able to select the number (0-9) and the location within that number to upload their picture in the same manner in which they would pick seats on a airline flight.

Fans will also have the opportunity to customize jerseys and additional merchandise with these special numbers at their club’s official stadium store.

Specific details of individual MLS clubs’ activation of this unique program will be released by the clubs in the near future.

uh, wut

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe they figure he won't have the legs in four years to play center midfield, but perhaps he'll still be able to play centerback?

We've got some good centerbacks coming up though. All the guys we used in this last cycle will likely be fine for another four years. Maybe he'll be replacing Beasley?

Possibly. If there are two players that are going to push way forward on the right (pick two out of Johnson, Chandler, Yedlin), then they want a stay at home left back? Not that Jermaine Jones has much regard for positional discipline Who knows...

@ussoccer said:
U-23 #USMNT starters for tonight: Cropper; Sorto- Carter-Vickers -O'Neill-Ocegueda; Rubin-Joya-Hyndman-Serna; Rodriguez-Morris
The US U23 team is facing off against Brazil tonight down in Brasilia.

Carter-Vickers is a 16-year old out of Tottenham's youth program.

xbhaskarx

Jordan Morris blows an absolute sitter, four feet in front of goal. He could have fallen down and the ball would have hit off his body and gone in...

xbhaskarx

Not good enough at both fullback positions (Sorto and Oceguda)...

U.S. Soccer @ussoccer · 17m

39th min., great scoring chance for the U-23 #USMNT, Rubin on the break, crosses low, but Morris unable to finish inside the box

ConsciousAcrobaticAnnelid.gif

xbhaskarx

Mario Rodriguez totally whiffs inside the box...

Half the team looks totally out of their depth, most of the rest are struggling as well. Only Rubio Rubin and the CBs (O'Neill and especially Carter Vickers) are looking look good. How can CCV only be 16 years old...

Cross from Morris, Mario Rodriguez blows it again.

xbhaskarx

2-0 Brazil on a header with Miazga (in for CCV) doing a terrible job of defending... and then Cropper tries his best to make it 3-0 with another mistake but a defender makes a goalline clarance. And now it is 3-0.

xbhaskarx

3-0 final, that was pretty brutal by the end. So many guys who are simply nowhere near the required level. Guys like Sorto (how did he get a homegrown player contract with LA?) and Oceguda, not sure they will *ever* have what it takes. Jordan Morris appears to just be a "he's fast" guy at this point, not sure why he was called in to the national team over so many more skilled and dynamic guys who still haven't been looked at... he and Rodriguez need to join Bobby Wood in a "intro to putting the ball into the net" course. Cropper and Miazga are like a guaranteed 1-3 boneheaded errors per game, Cropper has been that way for years, and yet he's been called up to the full national team multiple times and was even at the pre-WC camp (along with Morris)? Joya makes no impression. Flores, Hyndman, Serna, Hairston types were up and down but have potential. O'Neill was decent for the most part. After Rubin our best player was a 16 year old. We better cap tie Carter Vickers against some crappy Caribbean team when WC qualifiers start in 2016 before England starts sniffing around...

Hopefully someone else (Herzog?) is the actual U-23 coach once Olympic qualification starts because I don't trust Tab Ramos.

Thanks for the report, xbhaskarx. I imagine we'll see a lot of turnover on that roster until they figure out who's actually going to cut it.

- JJ quotes from ASN:
“It’s always nice to come back and see the guys," Jones said. "A lot of the guys I see already in MLS, but it’s always nice to play for the national team. Me and the coach, we were talking and we have some surprise for everybody I think.

“Everybody will see it. We talked and if everything works out then, maybe I get a new position?”
More from Yedlin:
Yedlin, for one, is happy enough to play a more advanced role for the Stars and Stripes.

“I like the midfield,” he said Monday. “Obviously it’s a more attacking position, and that’s what I like to do. There are still obviously defensive responsibilities that I have to take care of, but it’s a little bit less pressure on the defensive side I think.”

When asked if playing in the midfield was a positional shift he would enjoy going forward, the 21-year-old said, “I’d be excited about it if the coach thinks it’s a better fit for me, I’d play wherever he thinks.”
in:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom