• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cystm

Excellent post on the previous page, xbhaskarx. Thanks for that.

Can anyone PLEASE .gif Zusi's failed powerslide!?

MgE20MV.gif

Source.

Edit: The king, Arjen Robben.

USMNT face off against Honduras tonight. it's a 8pm ET kickoff on ESPN, WatchESPN, UniMas and ESPN Deportes Radio. . Honduras brought a somewhat depleted squad, so the US should have plenty of opportunities this match. US roster after the changes:

U.S. Men’s National Team By Position

GOALKEEPERS (3): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (6): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

Also:
Response from Bradley: Despite Klinsmann's comments, Michael Bradley happy with MLS return

- Long-term deal makes Heineken the new Official Beer of MLS, starting in 2015
Heineken on Tuesday announced a landmark, long-term partnership agreement with Major League Soccer (MLS) to become the Official Beer of MLS. The partnership, which commences in January 2015, further establishes Heineken’s standing as a worldwide leader in the sport and gives the brand an additional springboard to challenge Americans to chase new experiences and open their world.

Heineken’s relationship with MLS corresponds with the next phase of the league’s evolution. In 2015, MLS’ 20th season will include a new-look crest, two new expansion clubs, new media partners and a new premium beer brand. MLS will also serve as a seamless counterpart to Heineken’s global soccer initiatives, including sponsorship of the UEFA Champions League (UCL), to create year-long engagement with fans. Heineken will further complement their soccer properties with individual MLS club deals to be announced in the coming weeks.

- SI: Mix Diskerud channeling American attitude, preps for bigger USMNT role
“Following the World Cup, our message to him was to become more aggressive, to take things more in his own hands,” Klinsmann said at Florida Atlantic University, where the U.S. will meet Honduras on Tuesday night. “He’s got those messages. We want to see him more aggressive, more one-against-one challenges, become physical, become stronger.”

Diskerud, listed at a lean 6 feet, 150 pounds, hit the weight room hard following the World Cup and said he’s added nearly nine pounds of muscle.

“It’s almost more mental, I would say, but it helps having a couple more pounds of muscle when you go into those challenges," he said. "But a lot of it is mental in how you perceive the game and how you want to play. For me, the ‘not fun stuff’ is starting to become fun stuff. After the World Cup, I had talks with Jurgen and he told me, and the press, that I needed to be more physical and get into those battles more … I’m trying to make it part of my game now. I see it as a challenge, and I like challenges.”

Arials

Next Generation 2014: 40 of the best young talents in world football: http://www.theguardian.com/football...0-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

Erik Palmer Brown made the list. Not sure if he deserves to be there or not. Don't know what the competition of up and coming CFs around the world are.

It looks like they've purposefully gone for a wide geographic spread and they don't actually describe it as a top 40 list or anything. It says they'll be tracking the player's progress over the next few years, so for that reason making it more diverse in terms of nationalities adds interest.

The question to ask re EPB being in that list is "Is he the American born in 1997 with the most potential?", and I'd say he probably is. Worldwide, Joe Gomez (assuming you mean CBs rather than CFs...) is the best I know of that age.

xbhaskarx

Portland Timbers announce formation of USL PRO team, T2, for 2015 season

In a Tuesday news conference at Providence Park, the Timbers announced they will create their own USL PRO franchise, called the Timbers 2, for the 2015 season, joining the LA Galaxy and Real Salt Lake as MLS franchises fielding their own third-tier club next season.

Timbers 2 will play at Merlo Field, a venue with a capacity near 5,000 on the University of Portland campus in North Portland, and train at the club’s adidas Timbers Training Center in Beaverton, Ore.

“I believe that MLS clubs with their own USL PRO teams in-market will have a competitive advantage on a number of levels,” said Timbers owner/CEO Merritt Paulson. “This is a big investment for us and signifies our commitment to winning.”

The Timbers will hire a separate head coach, assistant coach, goalkeepers coach and operations staff for their new initiative, with the T2 technical staff reporting directly to first-team head coach Caleb Porter.

Why not put this team down in Eugene...

Askani

The question to ask re EPB being in that list is "Is he the American born in 1997 with the most potential?", and I'd say he probably is. Worldwide, Joe Gomez (assuming you mean CBs rather than CFs...) is the best I know of that age.

Yes, apologies. Meant CB.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We're around the 10k mark ourselves so that's impressive

I still think they should be blowing us out of the water though.

The team is running on hype right now, once they have an actual game we'll see how well they do. They could very well post bigger numbers next year.

Osorio

The team is running on hype right now, once they have an actual game we'll see how well they do. They could very well post bigger numbers next year.

True but I guess that goes to show you there isn't much hype for MLS in New York. I mean considering the advertising campaign they did I expected much more.

Then again, in my head there were tons of MLS fans who didn't want to go to New Jersey to see a team named after an energy drink. Guess not.

City full of eurosnobs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
True but I guess that goes to show you there isn't much hype for MLS in New York. I mean considering the advertising campaign they did I expected much more.

Then again, in my head there were tons of MLS fans who didn't want to go to New Jersey to see a team named after an energy drink. Guess not.

City full of eurosnobs.

It's a city with a million teams that's used to winning championships or at least being big contenders. If NYCFC shows that there's more to it than hype then they'll get popular, if Red Bull can clinch an MLS Cup then the same will happen.

It's more like a city of trophy snobs.

Osorio

It's a city with a million teams that's used to winning championships or at least being big contenders. If NYCFC shows that there's more to it than hype then they'll get popular, if Red Bull can clinch an MLS Cup then the same will happen.

It's more like a city of trophy snobs.

Yet the Knicks are the city's most popular team.

Dat mecca

If the Red Bulls win a cup this season nobody will notice. It'll be a great time for all of us, but nobody will give a shit across the Hudson.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yet the Knicks are the city's most popular team.

Dat mecca

If the Red Bulls win a cup this season nobody will notice. It'll be a great time for all of us, but nobody will give a shit across the Hudson.

No, I think they'll care. The Knicks get away with it because they've been the only team for years upon years and basketball is really big on the playgrounds and whatnot. If Brooklyn can win it all they'll supplant the Knicks, there's way more Brooklyn jerseys around than Knicks ones. The Mets are in purgatory, as are the Jets. No one gives a shit about hockey until one of the teams has a shot at winning the Stanley Cup, then everyone gives a shit. Red Bull beating Arsenal made the news this year, part of the issue is no real coverage on the nightly news and the rest is the lack of a trophy.

Red Bull needs some hardware to show off and they'll get some hype. Soccer's slower to take root in NYC because of the huge number of teams, but this city loves a winner.

Osorio

No, I think they'll care. The Knicks get away with it because they've been the only team for years upon years and basketball is really big on the playgrounds and whatnot. If Brooklyn can win it all they'll supplant the Knicks, there's way more Brooklyn jerseys around than Knicks ones. The Mets are in purgatory, as are the Jets. No one gives a shit about hockey until one of the teams has a shot at winning the Stanley Cup, then everyone gives a shit. Red Bull beating Arsenal made the news this year, part of the issue is no real coverage on the nightly news and the rest is the lack of a trophy.

Red Bull needs some hardware to show off and they'll get some hype. Soccer's slower to take root in NYC because of the huge number of teams, but this city loves a winner.

I hope you're right but I don't see it happening. The people I've met at soccer bars in the city are the snobbiest of eurosnobs. It's anecdotal device surely but that's all I got.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I hope you're right but I don't see it happening. The people I've met at soccer bars in the city are the snobbiest of eurosnobs. It's anecdotal device surely but that's all I got.

There's plenty of eurosnobs, and they'll be slow to come around, but I've also hung out with a lot of Red Bull fans in Queens. No matter what it'll take a while to really penetrate the city's consciousness. A trophy or two would really help.

Osorio

There's plenty of eurosnobs, and they'll be slow to come around, but I've also hung out with a lot of Red Bull fans in Queens. No matter what it'll take a while to really penetrate the city's consciousness. A trophy or two would really help.

A trophy or two would help me.

Free red bull/vodkas at the parade!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow, Jones really is playing in that roll.

Personally I'd swap Bradley and Mix.

Honduras is going to get it's ass kicked.

Rimando's not looked convincing tonight.

Missing crosses, poor distribution right there.

Notrollious said:
This'll probably end up being his "hey look at me teams not named Sunderland" tour.

Yep. He's advertising himself for the January shop window right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom