• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned

a gif

ImprobableVeneratedGalapagostortoise.gif

Zusi still nursing that World Cup hangover? He doesn't look sharp.

Overall, I've been ok with the US so far, but it'd be nice if they could burn a little clock with some possession if necessary.

Cystm

Mix, Chandler, Altidore, and Garza are looking great. Jones looks solid in his new role.

Zusi and Bedoya are off.

Dempsey is having some really bad touches.

I would like to see more poised possession. They need to allow themselves just a little bit more time to execute on chances. Touches overall seem rushed and not very well thought out.

Edit: That pass from Bradley was really fucking good.

Afrikan

I've said it before....but this game proves it. Yedlin looks like son of Ronaldo and Prince Boateng.

How could his hair cut and face looks so clean, when he doesn't make that Ronaldo money????

This game's gotten a bit ragged.

The fact that a lot of these guys haven't played together in a while (or ever) is really starting to show.

As for Mix/Bradley, maybe one day Klinsmann will let Bradley play as a 6 and Diskerud as a 10. Maybe. My money's on probably not though.

Cystm

We are looking really fucking rough around the edges in this last two friendlies. I know it's to be expected to some extent because of the changes JK is making to get younger guys some experience, but even knowing that, it is really uncomfortable watching us right now.

I like the strategy used to have vets opening to create a pad for the younger guys to come on in the second half, but even our vets looked rough.

Nesotenso

none of the newer faces showed much promise. Bradley needs to switch positions with Diskerud. Zusi doesn't have a future with the national team, definitely not on the wings.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
none of the newer faces showed much promise. Bradley needs to switch positions with Diskerud. Zusi doesn't have a future with the national team, definitely not on the wings.

Pretty much my assessment. I will add that Garza looked good, he could be something by Russia. Also Alitdore will be fine, he just needs to find a decent team where he'll get some minutes.

More on last night:
- SI: Always tinkering, Jurgen Klinsmann tries Jermaine Jones at center back
- Fox Sports: Five Points: USA continues evolution and reinforces trends in draw with Honduras

Quakes updates:
@JeffreyCarlisle: I'm told that within last 2 weeks, #SJEarthquakes GM John Doyle informed Mark Watson that he wouldn't manage club beyond this season. #mls

@DarrellLovell: Dominic Kinnear will address the media regarding the San Jose job today. Expecting things to be made official.

@liviubird said:
MLS commissioner Don Garber will host a media conference call in an hour to discuss Jürgen Klinsmann's "comments about MLS and its players."
*grabs popcorn*

It's an improvement even if it's not flashy.
It's an upgrade, but the style of play issue hangs over it. I hope Kinnear doesn't regress to the usual physical tactics to grind out wins with the Quakes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Isn't the Orlando City USL Pro team disappearing next season? Looking back, that decision was kinda shortsighted.

Also, does anybody else think the academy > USL Pro > MLS pipelines teams are creating will eventually give them a notable talent adventage over expansion franchises? A new team being incredibly competitive from day one like Seattle might become pretty unlikely in a few years.

Garber is going off on Klinsmann:
@SoccerInsider: Garber: "I will do everything and anything to defend our league, players & owners"

@SoccerInsider: Garber: "Sending a negative msg to any players that signing with MLS is not good for career or form is incredibly detrimental to US soccer"

@SoccerInsider: Garber: "Personally infuriating"

@SoccerInsider: Garber: "Importance of league to USNT is strong and only going to increase over time. Without league, depth & quality would be diminished"

@thegoalkeeper: “It is just patently untrue that if you play in Major League Soccer it will affect your form."

@SoccerInsider: Garber: "Only way to continue to grow & prosper is to continue to have close relationship with USSF. Futures are intricately linked"

@JeffreyCarlisle: Garber:"Landon should have been in Brazil" & treatment by JK "inexcusable". Says public criticism of Michael Bradley "unacceptable". #usmnt

@SoccerInsider: Garber: Klinsmann "needs to think very very hard about how he manages himself publicly"

@SoccerInsider: Garber: "We can't try to denigrate or damage or disparage the very entity that will be key driver of the sport in this country"

Meier

Isn't the Orlando City USL Pro team disappearing next season? Looking back, that decision was kinda shortsighted.

Also, does anybody else think the academy > USL Pro > MLS pipelines teams are creating will eventually give them a notable talent adventage over expansion franchises? A new team being incredibly competitive from day one like Seattle might become pretty unlikely in a few years.

They decided to sell the license to a group out of Louisville and a former Orlando City player is going to be the manager. They said pending a continued affiliation deal with USL, Louisville will be Orlando City's affiliate. Given how many MLS teams now have teams in USL Pro, I'd imagine it won't be an issue. It'd be neat if they worked out a pro/rel system between USL and NASL... if they could join the two leagues together, that'd be pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom