• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATF487

@petkemike · 38m 38 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy Dear Dan, in all honesty your comments regarding the Revs are laughable and outdated.

@petkemike · 36m 36 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy The fact that you would say something as pathetic as that shows your knowledge and class as a "so called" sports reporter.

@petkemike · 35m 35 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy What's even more pathetic is that by saying that, you have brought more relevance to MLS. So keep it coming big guy.

@petkemike · 34m 34 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy To the Revs fans, ignore this type of BS hometown reporting and keep your heads high

@petkemike · 34m 34 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy even though I hope to kick your butts next year, you have a lot to be proud of

THAT'S MY MANAGER. Petke is awesome.

MY MAN

The other silver lining is that dinosaurs like Shaughnessy are losing their influence. Most people I know are much more influenced by the local sports radio station than the newspapers, and there's been a solid amount of soccer talk on the radio recently. And although we have teams in the other major sports, there's definitely some market share to be gained, especially if the Celtics/Bruins/Red Sox continue on being mediocre

Esch

Banned
These old dudes are basically just scared.

You don't hate on something that doesn't threaten you. You ever seen anyone try to dismiss say, cycling?

@petkemike · 38m 38 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy Dear Dan, in all honesty your comments regarding the Revs are laughable and outdated.

@petkemike · 36m 36 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy The fact that you would say something as pathetic as that shows your knowledge and class as a "so called" sports reporter.

@petkemike · 35m 35 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy What's even more pathetic is that by saying that, you have brought more relevance to MLS. So keep it coming big guy.

@petkemike · 34m 34 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy To the Revs fans, ignore this type of BS hometown reporting and keep your heads high

@petkemike · 34m 34 minutes ago @Dan_Shaughnessy even though I hope to kick your butts next year, you have a lot to be proud of

Thats actually pretty embarassing. Petkes basically legetimizing dans opinion

The ratings for this final probably didn't crack a million yet it was trending #1 on Twitter

it also beat out the #SEAvPHL tag for a little while for the philly trends which is kinda surprising. it didn't last long but still.

dayum.

anyone have a picture of the face Petke made during the Revs game last week light right before half time?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Don't forget his classic NYC/NJ shit talking and sarcasm. You should read what he said when asked if Henry would be playing in NE.

For reference:

Bigapplesoccer.com said:
Head coach Mike Petke teased about Henry playing on turf on Wednesday and what preparations – if any – might look like to get his star ready for the plastic pitch.

"He's sleeping in a hyperdermic air chamber for a week now," Petke said. "We've replaced his mattress with the same exact turf as at Gillette Stadium. And we've had a psychiatrist come in and when he's sleeping, he whispers 'Turf is wonderful' in his ear for every night."

So good.

Thats actually pretty embarassing. Petkes basically legetimizing dans opinion

How so?

ZZMitch

Go get'em Petke.

Also, who is mitchbon on the GAF playoff pick'em? Nice score total.

Thats me :D I haven't checked in a while I should take a look lol

edit: 1st thing I noticed is I forgot to pick for the final (would have picked the Revs tho so it didn't change anything), whoops

and wow 27th in the world aint bad!

Askani

Thats me :D I haven't checked in a while I should take a look lol

edit: 1st thing I noticed is I forgot to pick for the final (would have picked the Revs tho so it didn't change anything), whoops

and wow 27th in the world aint bad!

Congrats. I finished in second behind you. I did pick the Revs but it was a heart over head pick. Too, bad...I could have snaked the win over your non pick. :p

I ended tied for 132 in the overal world list.

xbhaskarx

Ventura Alvarado:
Brian Sciaretta ‏@BrianSciaretta 23 minutes ago
A trio of Americans in the Liga Mx final: Club America (Alvarado) vs. Tigres (Torres & Gomez)

Adam Swift ‏@AdamTheRed
@EricGomezFOX @BrianSciaretta Do we have any solid info yet on whether or not he "rejected" US?

Eric Gómez ‏@EricGomezFOX
.@AdamTheRed @BrianSciaretta Untrue, per @mexicoworldcup

Brian Sciaretta ‏@BrianSciaretta
@EricGomezFOX @AdamTheRed @mexicoworldcup I've spoken to Alvarado several times. He wouldn't turn down US. He'll go with whoever call 1st

- USMNT schedule for the first six months of 2015:
The U.S. national team has announced its full schedule for the first six months of 2015, revealing seven matches spread out over the first half of the year, leading up to the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

The Americans will open 2015 with a road trip to South America to take on Chile on Jan. 28 for a match that does not fall on a FIFA fixture date, which means it will likely feature mostly MLS-based players for the U.S. and domestic-based players for Chile.

The U.S. will follow that match up with a return to American soil to take on Panama on Feb. 8. Sources tell Goal USA that the Panama friendly is a good bet to be played at StubHub Center in Carson, California.

The full U.S. team will come together in March during the first FIFA fixture period of the new year, with friendlies at Denmark on March 25 and Switzerland on March 31.

A return to the U.S. follows in April with a clash against archrival Mexico on April 15. Sources tell Goal USA that San Antonio’s Alamodome is a leading candidate to host that friendly.

The U.S. will face its toughest tests of the year in June, with a pair of friendlies against world powers. A trip to the Netherlands to face the Dutch on June 5 will be followed by a match in Germany against the World Cup champions on June 10.

xbhaskarx

USMNT schedule for the first half of 2015:
January 28 - @ Chile
February 8 - Panama in Carson CA
March 25 - @ Denmark
March 31 - @ Switzerland
April 15 - Mexico in San Antonio TX
June 5 - @ Netherlands
June 10 - @ Germany

B4TTrYNCQAAkgOt.jpg

July 7-26 - Gold Cup

xbhaskarx

^ Does this mean Josh Yaro isn't leaving Georgetown for the MLS draft, or am I reading way too much into it...

Edit: Never mind, they don't see him as a CB:
Orlando City has been scouting Okugo for some time and believes “he is one of the best holding midfielders in the league and they want him to hold for Kaka and think it can be a tremendous partnership.”

Jurgen seems to hate home games eh?

The frequency of these away games in Europe and even South America are one of the better things Klinsmann has done in his tenure. Plus the next World Cup is in Russia.

Arials

The rumour mill is spinning:

Whenever you think you've got him nailed, Harry Redknapp pulls a rabbit out of the hat, a trick that makes you realise why there will only be one 'Arry.

We thought we knew him. We thought that if QPR were going to sign one over-30, former Premier League striker to have played for Spurs and West Ham, we knew who it would be. We'd even put £100 on Jermain Defoe joining in January, looking forward to feeling that £103 in our hands come the end of the window.

But, we were wrong. Instead, Robbie Keane is the answer you were looking for, who won the MLS Cup with LA Galaxy late on Sunday evening.

"The MLS market is one that we've got to look at. Robbie's a good shout - he's a good pro," Redknapp said. This is like a parody interview. "He would be the ideal type to have around for sure because he would give us something. I haven't spoken to him yet, but he would be an interesting player."

A reminder that Keane is now 34, and has scored five goals in 30 Premier League games since December 2009. Never change, Harry.

Short term loan in January fro the MVP perhaps. Looks like TFC might find it a bit harder than anticipated to shift Defoe for that record fee they wanted.

Let the games begin:

CJ Sapong to the Union.

Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 23m23 minutes ago
I can confirm that the Union will acquire C.J. Sapong from Sporting Kansas City via trade. More to come.

The club is declining contract options of the following players: midfielders Corben Bone and Fred; forwards Brian Brown, Conor Casey and Cristhian Hernandez. Additionally, midfielder Brian Carroll is out of contract.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2014/12/philadelphia-union-declines-options-five-players

Here's something to think about, even if it's extremely unlikely in my eyes:

Kevin Kinkead ‏@KevinKCBS3 35 minutes ago
Okugo and Collin are both out of contract, however. So there's the outside chance Orlando can't get a deal done and keeps their rights

People saying it's for their first round pick at least. Maybe money also.

yeah 2015 first rounder, haven't seen any money in rumors yet.

apparently Okugo deal also included 2016 second round pick from OCSC.

also:

Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 41 minutes ago
I can also confirm that the amount of allocation money the Union are receiving for Amobi Okugo is greater than the originally reported $100K

Askani

Heh,

Steve Brisendine ‏@SteveBrisendine 34s
Much wishful tweeting from OCSC today, but I would rate SKC's chances of leaving Dwyer unprotected below Kirk Cameron's Oscar hopes.​

LMAO,

Brandon Urban ‏@burban77 3m
Orlando City fans- just so you will be prepared for what you see on the field.

Signed,
#SportingKC fan

6Ntm97P.gif

Also:

The Full 90 ‏@TheFull90 3m
As of right now, KC has three first-round picks if Philly trade goes down. #10, #12 and #20.​

Arials

I think Orlando City's starting XI is starting to take shape:

Hall

Turner Colin [New CB] Boden

Okugo Ceren

[New RW] Kaka Molino

[New FW]

Bench: Redding, Ramos, Heath, Estrela

Yannick Djalo (RW/FW), Carlos Augusto Rivas (FW) and Joshua Yaro (CB) all rumoured as possible gap fillers on top of whoever they get in the expansion draft.

Askani

BusinessOfSoccer.com said:
MLS Castrol Index & Salary Data Analysis: Best Clubs Spend More

Upon completion of Major League Soccer’s (“MLS”) regular season, Business of Soccer analyzed Castrol Index data alongside the league’s salary figures to identify value players. In connection with the completion of the postseason yesterday, the analysis below examines the value achieved by each club.

League Champions, the Los Angeles Galaxy, generated the most points, while the Columbus Crew (the “Crew”) generated the most value per Castrol Index points earned. Furthermore, trend analysis indicates that regardless of value achieved, clubs with higher payrolls are more successful.

Note that for purposes of this analysis, value is defined as total compensation paid for players included within the Castrol Index, divided by total Castrol Index points, or a return on investment of sorts.

GYpd8Wc.png

As noted above, the Crew obtained the most value when considering the salaries of their players registered in the Castrol Index, and their respective Castrol Index points. Despite having the third lowest payroll in MLS, the Crew finished third in the Eastern Conference during the regular season, before bowing out to eventual Eastern Conference Champs, the New England Revolution. The two clubs immediately following the Crew were the Colorado Rapids and Chivas USA. These clubs performed significantly worse in failing to qualify for the postseason by a considerable margin, an indication of the smart spending and commendable performance by the Crew this season.

The graph below flips the ranking, showing the teams that received the least value considering compensation spend and Castrol Index points generated. In other words, the clubs below earned the lowest return on investment for the cost of their players.

pyrspzp.png

More at link: http://www.businessofsoccer.com/201...x-salary-data-analysis-best-clubs-spend-more/

Askani

Massive Report ‏@MassiveReport 4m
#CrewSC trade Josh Williams to #NYCFC for allocation money.​

Dave Martinez ‏@EmpireOfSoccer 4m
#NYCFC acquire Josh Williams from #CrewSC for allocation money. #MLS​

Anyone else getting nervous about Zelalem? Got less than 2 months until he turns 18..
Yes. Last I heard was that he did attend the US - Colombia game, and when asked if he was going to play for the USMNT, he said "he's not sure", which is a diplomatic answer regardless of where he's leaning at the moment.
Asked Gedion Zelalem if he's playing for the #USMNT after the game and he said that 'he's not sure'. Great player though.
There isn't a lot of info at the moment about what's going on.

Esch

Banned
Anyone else getting nervous about Zelalem? Got less than 2 months until he turns 18..
Gonna sound like bullshit, but a very good friend of mine met him @ Dupont Circle during the World Cup (germany / usa match ), and he said he's undecided but sees himself as an American.

Meh

Askani

Apparently I'm just going to regurgitate twitter all day.

Chris Kamrani ‏@chriskamrani 8m
RSL GM Garth Lagerwey on Borchers deal: "We had three teams that were interested in Nat. We let Nat decide where he wanted to go."​

xbhaskarx

U.S. Soccer sets targets to develop elite players

With an expanded operating budget, the addition of youth national teams for each age group from 14-20 and more rigorous standards for coaching licenses, U.S. soccer aims to improve the country's ability to develop world class players.

Player and coaching development initiatives were announced at a roundtable with reporters after Sunday's MLS Cup final that saw the L.A. Galaxy defeat the New England Revolution, 2-1. The roundtable was attended by USSF president Sunil Gulati, U.S. men's national team manager and technical director Jurgen Klinsmann, U.S. U-20 manager and youth technical director Tab Ramos, and USSF secretary general Dan Flynn.

The federation's youth programs will get an external audit, including all Development Academy clubs to youth national teams. Gulati said that the company that will perform the audit is to be determined. The purpose of the review is to enhance the ability of clubs and national teams to better identify and evaluate talent. The audit will take place some time in 2015.

"They'll probably look at 40 of our DA programs -- maybe that's a mix of MLS and non-MLS teams -- and benchmark where we are compared to some other countries and where they are in their program," said Gulati.

Another area of focus is coaching education. The USSF intends to upgrade the coaching license program so it will more closely match international standards by making the courses more rigorous. The USSF intends to add new licenses, including a youth technical director license and a pro license.

The USSF will also create a national coaching education center in partnership with MLS club Sporting Kansas City, as well as launch a digital coaching center, the latter of which will begin operation in January.

"We've got coaching programs at a national and local and state levels, that frankly fall far short of the top countries in the world in terms of their breadth, in terms of how long you have to be in it," said Gulati. "We're going to widen those quite a bit in terms of what it takes to get certain credentials, the level of understanding, the length of time, etc."

On the player side, the USSF intends to add an U-12 age group over the next few years, adding to the U-14, U-16, and U-18 age groups already present. The USSF will also increase funding for DA scholarships and expand programming around training centers. It also plans to standardize small-side games and field sizes for youth players at the younger age groups. The USSF plans to expand programming of training centers, which are formal and informal training sessions across the country, and is related to the USSF's inner-city program.

"It's our best chance of seeing players who aren't in one of our teams." said Gulati about the training centers.

The USSF plans to collaborate with the NCAA to make changes to the college market, and is also investigating the possibility of developing training facilities in key markets, including a national training center. Gulati indicated that this latter facility would be separate from StubHub Center, which has long hosted national team events for both men and women.

"We share [StubHub Center] with the true owners, which is the Galaxy and AEG," said Gulati. "We think that it's important to have a place that is our own, that we can do all the things, from youth to senior level. We have the resources to think about that in a way that is different from 10-15 years ago."

Lastly, the USSF plans to create youth national teams at every single age level from U-14 all the way to U-20. At present four of those teams -- U-15, U-17, U-18, and U-20 -- have head coaches, while the U-16 and U-19 positions are yet to be filled.

All of these programs will require considerable financial resources. Gulati stated that in the next World Cup cycle, the operating budget is expected to expand by 50 percent compared to the last cycle.

Askani

Did we know this one already? I don't remember it.

Orlando City SC ‏@OrlandoCitySC 6m
Capping cap our trades today we've acquired Tally Hall (@tallyhallGK) from the Houston Dynamo! Welcome! #MajorMonday​

Arials

Did we know this one already? I don't remember it.

Orlando City SC ‏@OrlandoCitySC 6m
Capping cap our trades today we've acquired Tally Hall (@tallyhallGK) from the Houston Dynamo! Welcome! #MajorMonday​

That's been an open secret for months.

This, however, is very new:

Orlando City has reached an agreement to sign Honduran forward Bryan Róchez. The 19-year-old striker scored 20 league goals for Real España in 2013-14.

Multiple MLS teams attempted to put a discovery claim in on Róchez, however Orlando City put a claim on the player last season and was first in line on the player.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/on-the-pitch/os-orlando-city-sign-honduran-forward-bryan-rochez-20141208-post.html

DC trades International slots to NYCFC for 2015 and 2016 seasons for allocation funds

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 5m5 minutes ago
D.C. United acquires allocation funds from expansion NYC for international roster slot the next 2 seasons #dcu

Elchele

Wow, that's interesting! Rochez is highly rated in Honduras. He's supposed to be the next big thing in the striker department for the country. He was linked with a move to Italy in the summer, but I think a move to MLS first is the right step in his career.

The idea of playing alongside Kaká probably sealed the deal in minutes for him.

ZZMitch

DC trades International slots to NYCFC for 2015 and 2016 seasons for allocation funds

Lol great trade for DC they will never use all their international slots anyway.

Rochez seems like a great pick up for Orlando too. 2nd highest scorer in Honduras last year and he's only 19. This is the kind of signing I like to see from MLS teams.

Arials

Wow, that's interesting! Rochez is highly rated in Honduras. He's supposed to be the next big thing in the striker department for the country.

Yeah, Orlando are building a really good looking squad. They seem to do some quality scouting work.

Kevin Kinkead ‏@KevinKCBS3 3 hrs3 hours ago
No surprise that Orlando City is killing it. They've been beating MLS teams on and off the field for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom