• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Apparently I'm just going to regurgitate twitter all day.

Chris Kamrani ‏@chriskamrani 8m
RSL GM Garth Lagerwey on Borchers deal: "We had three teams that were interested in Nat. We let Nat decide where he wanted to go."​
Cool. We are very glad to have him, and we hope he will be happy here.

I'm happy with our moves so far, but I have to do more research on the unknowns. Also, please hold off on calling us the Philly of the west until all is said and done. We are almost certainly gonna deal with the goalkeeper situation.

Cool. We are very glad to have him, and we hope he will be happy here.

I'm happy with our moves so far, but I have to do more research on the unknowns. Also, please hold off on calling us the Philly of the west until all is said and done. We are almost certainly gonna deal with the goalkeeper situation.

So are we but the jokes still stuck :\

xbhaskarx

Sources: Red Bulls to launch USL Pro team

MLS is doing away with its Reserve League and requiring clubs to either have a USL Pro affiliate team or launch one of their own in 2015.

After much consideration, the New York Red Bulls have chosen the latter.

Multiple sources have confirmed to SBI that the Red Bulls have decided to start up their own USL Pro team for the 2015 season, with an announcement forthcoming. It is not yet clear where the team will play its home games, but some of the options include Red Bull Arena, the Red Bulls’ Training Facility, St. John’s University, and Columbia University.

They would be the first team not in the west or Canada to have their own USL team...

Sources: Red Bulls to launch USL Pro team

It is not yet clear where the team will play its home games, but some of the options include Red Bull Arena, the Red Bulls’ Training Facility, St. John’s University, and Columbia University.

I think the best bet is spreading games around.

Like, if the main team is in Harrison, stick the reserves in Princeton or something, so you extend your market

Also, MLS Cup bomba.
0.6 rating

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the best bet is spreading games around.

Like, if the main team is in Harrison, stick the reserves in Princeton or something, so you extend your market

Also, MLS Cup bomba.
0.6 rating

St John's would be a great place to have it, it's super easy to get to as it's a commuter school, it has great facilities and they can share hype with the basketball team which is really big in Queens. St. John's sports are big in the area, when a soccer player from their team made it to the Cosmos a few years back it made the local sports pages. It would be a great way to build up the main team in the city, especially if guys from the USL Pro side make their way to the MLS team.

Meier

New York City FC have agreed the trade of Omar Salgado from Vancouver Whitecaps FC, in return for future considerations. NYCFC have agreed a deal in principle with an international club for the transfer of the player, pending agreement of personal terms and completing a physical. Per League policy, all transfer terms are confidential.
http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/12/08/omar-salgado-trade-and-transfer

This is curious. I wonder if it'll be Melbourne City or some random club?

NE Revolution ‏@NERevolution 1m1 minute ago
The #NERevs have acquired GK Joe Nasco from Colorado in exchange for FWDs Dimitry Imbongo and Geoffrey Castillion. More details to follow.

wut

2 International players, FWIW. Probably to open up protection spots.

e:

Kyle McCarthy @kylejmccarthy · 1m 1 minute ago
One surprising name expected to feature on New England's unprotected list: Diego Fagundez. #MLS

holy shit

Askani

Wow. One more to the list.

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 6m
Sources have confirmed to me that Sporting KC forward Soony Saad has signed w/ Thailand Premier League side BEC Tero Sasana on free transfer​

I liked Soony. He wasn't afraid to take a long shot and make it quality and he puts in alot of effort.

Lots of transfers off the team for SKC today. They'd better be planning something big.

GRW810

Yes I wanted Colin and Olave to be the ebony and ivory bald CB duo

We would've had a disgustingly tough central defense.
I desperately wanted Collin too. He and Olave would have been a beastly partnership. I'd have taken Borchers too.

So annoyed we seem to have acquired no one in this flurry of trades. So many good players moving around, surely we could have done something? Driver maybe. Salgado? Laba?

Kyle McCarthy @kylejmccarthy · 1m 1 minute ago
One surprising name expected to feature on New England's unprotected list: Diego Fagundez. #MLS
I said only a few days ago that NY should try to acquire him. He'll be snapped up very, very early in the draft.

Dave Zeitlin ‏@DaveZeitlin 12 minutes ago
Heard from a source the Union have left MacMath, Mbolhi, Ribeiro, Cruz and Lahoud unprotected in the expansion draft.

Well I did not expect MacMath to be unprotected here...

KEEPERS AVAILABLE GET THEM WHILE THEY'RE HOT

Nesotenso

Wow. One more to the list.

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 6m
Sources have confirmed to me that Sporting KC forward Soony Saad has signed w/ Thailand Premier League side BEC Tero Sasana on free transfer​

I liked Soony. He wasn't afraid to take a long shot and make it quality and he puts in alot of effort.

Lots of transfers off the team for SKC today. They'd better be planning something big.

Fucking Thailand though....
Feel Peter never really gave him enough of a shot. I felt he was better than Zizzo and Peterson.
Glad to see Sapong is gone.

Askani

Fucking Thailand though....
Feel Peter never really gave him enough of a shot. I felt he was better than Zizzo and Peterson.
Glad to see Sapong is gone.

He definitely had more upside. We have lots of holes to fill already and that's just one more I wasn't expecting. Seriously they'd better be talking to people and have a plan and not "well we'll just go with who we got and see what happens later". They seem smarter than that, but that's still my fear.

xbhaskarx

Georgetown's Brian Wiese Is Bullish on NCAA Soccer

Robert L. Kehoe III: When we spoke over the summer you had a lot to say about the college vs. pro debate. Can you share some of your thoughts on that issue?

Brian Wiese: A lot of people don’t understand college soccer. I mean, I hate to say it, but Jurgen Klinsmann doesn’t understand college soccer. I just heard a quote from Robbie Keane saying that college soccer should be banned from MLS, and if we’re talking about a player like him who’s been a standout professional since he was 17 that would make sense. But that’s confusing the debate. Nobody’s saying that a player like Robbie Keane should be playing college soccer. That’s a choice that’s up to the player. If MLS can offer enough incentive to pass up a free education (at Georgetown that adds up to around $65,000 a year) that’s fine. But the level in college soccer is so good right now, and it’s only getting better, so it isn’t a problem. It’s a part of the solution.

Kehoe: That’s a specific example, but how is college soccer a part of the solution in the big picture?

Wiese: I’m an engineering guy, so I always do the math. We have 205 Division I programs, with an average of 25 kids per team. That’s about 5,000 good players who are playing soccer on a daily basis, at good facilities, with all the support they need to improve. Now of those 5,000, how many of them could or should be pros right now? Let’s say it’s 50, so that would be one percent of 5,000 kids.

Now let’s talk about the other 4,950 other players. I use the word incubation a lot, because the college game is an incubator for the 4,950 players who aren’t ready to be pros right now. If you went back and looked at every World Cup cycle I bet you’d find significant contributors to the U.S. national team who were at one time a part of that group of 4,950.

This guy is one of a handful of quality coaches in college that really should get a shot with MLS instead of retreads like Yallop and Klopas...

Osorio

While I'm glad we decided to launch a USL Pro team, I think that shows Red Bull is here to stay. Oh well.

I'll still be fighting for a change back to Metro, no matter how delusional it may seem.

Osorio

@SoccerByIves 27s27 seconds ago
I’m hearing Red Bulls turned down a sizable trade offer from NYCFC for GK Ryan Meara. Could see RBNY being wary of dealing w/new local rival

Peguy is unprotected? I guess it doesn't matter since I doubt anyone is taking him for his age even though he only makes about 90k a year.

Cahill unprotected is no surprise, but we didn't make any moves today. Are we getting people from the Swiss second division to fill out the lineup again?

Can we get young guys from South America instead this year?

xbhaskarx

Sebastian Fernandez's high option price means Vancouver Whitecaps unlikely to bring midfielder back

Bummer, I liked that guy.

Houston Dynamo have agreement with Owen Coyle to be club's next coach

According to persons with knowledge of the situation, MLSsoccer.com can confirm reports that the club has signed an agreement with Owen Coyle to become the club’s second head coach. Terms of the deal were not available at the time of this report, but reports have put the deal in the range of three years.

Coyle arrived in Houston on Friday to finalize talks with the club. He first interviewed for the position in early November and progressed as a leading candidate for the position.

During the past four days the club and Coyle have held talks, with the Scottish manager meeting with Dynamo president Chris Canetti, general manager Matt Jordan and others involved in the process. The trio spent time with others Sunday watching the MLS Cup final together.

Sources told MLSsoccer.com that the agreement was completed Monday after early morning reports out of England that Coyle had agreed to a deal.

Will Stu Holden come back with him?

GRW810

Interesting that NY managed to protect both Robles and Meara.
I'm glad. Meara could be a top, top GK so I hope we continue to work on him he's ready to step in one day. He was unlucky to fall behind Robles due to injury and the latter's emergence number one but letting him would be disappointing.

I heard a rumour yesterday that Orlando may take him on loan while Hall recovers from injury. I'd be fine with that, suits everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom