• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

O0qED5oZ.jpeg

smdj_article_1776425134699_1.jpg

Dragons FC soccer swoops into Burlingame

Swinmurn’s passion for soccer never waned. Swinmurn is the founder of Zappos.com, a minority owner of the Golden State Warriors and has offices in Burlingame. Swinmurn and co-owner David Ebersman, Facebook’s former CFO, , will announce 1 p.m. Wednesday the debut of the Burlingame Dragons FC along with an affiliation with the San Jose Earthquakes at a press conference in front of the Burlingame train station.

“We want to create a professional sporting environment. Feel like [you’re] walking into Dragon Stadium,” Swinmurn said. “We want to run this as a first-class, pro organization ... . We see ourselves as a pro soccer organization.”

The Dragons’ debut season will begin in May with home games to be played at the stadium at Burlingame High School. The Dragons’ practice base will also be Burlingame.

An amateur club, the Dragons will play in the Premiere Development League (PDL), the highest level of amateur play in the “pyramid” that makes up the system of the game in the United States. There are more than 60 teams from the United States and Canada that play in the PDL. Teams are comprised of top collegiate players, as well as international and youth academy players. The way the league is set up, college players do not risk losing college eligibility while playing in the PDL.

According to the PDL website, 70 percent of Major League Soccer players came through its system.

The Earthquakes will supply the players, as well as the coaching and training staff, while Swinmurn and his team will be tasked with marketing, branding and creating the fan experience he remembered from his life in England.

- Goff on Zelalem:
As for Zelalem and his potential U.S. national team future, he has not yet publicly committed to the American program. In fact, he and his family have yet to confirm he is even eligible. However, he was on a pathway to a passport, and according to those close to him, he prefers to play for the United States rather than Germany, which he has represented on the youth level.

Zelalem lived in the Washington area for many years, attended public schools in Montgomery County, Md., played one season for Walter Johnson High School and honed his game with the Bethesda-Olney Soccer Club.

Said one source: “It’s going well” with the citizenship process and there could be “some news in short time.”

xbhaskarx

Who is UMBC? College Cup semifinalists, that’s who.

Yes, it’s a mouthful: the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. It’s also the home of the best storyline in the national tournament this year and for many years.

The Retrievers, a band of mostly in-state players overlooked or unappreciated by larger programs, have executed consecutive upsets against four traditional powers to book a ticket to the College Cup, soccer’s final four.

They will face 16th-seeded Virginia, another national titan, in a semifinal at 5 p.m. Friday (ESPNU) at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. The winner will face second-seeded UCLA or No. 11 Providence, another upstart, in Sunday’s final.

The Retrievers have not lost since the third week in October, a 10-game stretch in which they’ve conceded three goals, none in the NCAA tournament against Wake Forest, Maryland, Louisville and Creighton – teams with a combined 23 College Cup berths.

College Cup schedule

At WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C.

Friday’s semifinals
UMBC (14-5-5) vs. No. 16 Virginia (12-6-3), 5 p.m. ET
No. 11 Providence (16-4-2) vs. No. 2 UCLA (13-4-5), 7:30 p.m.

Sunday’s final is at noon

All matches on ESPNU, ESPN3.com and WatchESPN

bracket

xbhaskarx

American Exports: Ventura Alvarado gearing up for Liga MX final as Club America seek historic 12th title
After playing just 106 minutes in total during the 2014 Apertura regular season, the 22-year-old from Phoenix, Ariz., started both legs of América’s semifinal series against Monterrey, winning plaudits in the second game for his performance as the only player from Las Aguilas’ youth system participating.

América’s number 17 is now set to feature in the Liga MX final in what are easily the most important games of his career on Thursday at Estadio Universitario (9:30 pm ET, Univision Deportes) and Sunday at Estadio Azteca (7 pm ET, Univision Deportes).

His form has earned him call-ups to Mexico youth national teams in the past, but he isn’t focused exclusively on El Tri – as one report in Mexico stated last month.

“I would love to play for the national team, both the US or Mexico,” said Alvarado. “I’d be so happy if they called me.”

Asked if he hopes US national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann is watching on, he replied: “I hope so. I’m going to keep it in mind that he watches and do a great job.”

xbhaskarx

Yeah I think the Earthquakes will lose one player at most (probably Cato), despite having only one player automatically protected and eighteen exposed.

Elchele

Is he any good? I see he's got a lot of caps for you guys but has mostly played back home.

He's an average player tbh. Scottish Premier League-quality player and nothing else
Should come handy for Orlando midfield, he can defend and also has pretty decent passing.

xbhaskarx

I do like drafts... one down five to go (two today):

2014-15 MLS Offseason Calendar

November 14 - Weighted draw for MLS Dispersal Draft

November 19 - MLS Dispersal Draft for Chivas USA players

December 1 - Deadline for exercising player contract options

December 7 - MLS Cup Final

December 8 – Half-day Trade Window: Open 9 am ET - 1 pm ET. Teams may trade during that window or may re-sign their own players. Blackout period starts at 1 pm ET, runs through the MLS Expansion Draft.

December 10 - MLS Expansion Draft

December 10 - Trade Window opens at the end of Expansion Draft; closes on December 11, 2014, at 5 pm ET

December 10 – MLS Waiver Draft

December 12 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase One

December 12 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase One; closes on December 17, 2014, at 11 am ET

December 18 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase Two

December 18 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase Two

January 2 to 5 - MLS Caribbean Combine

January 9 to 13 - MLS SuperDraft Combine

January 15 - MLS SuperDraft

20 minutes...

MLS Expansion Draft: Listen in live as New York City FC & Orlando City SC build out rosters

Youtube links:

LIVE: 2014 MLS Expansion Draft

LIVE Orlando City SC War Room - 2014 Expansion Draft

xbhaskarx

MLS Waiver Draft to be held Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 pm ET

2014 Waiver Draft – Draft Selection Order

1. Montreal Impact
2. San Jose Earthquakes
3. Colorado Rapids
4. Chicago Fire
5. Houston Dynamo
6. Toronto FC
7. Philadelphia Union
8. Portland Timbers
9. Sporting Kansas City
10. Vancouver Whitecaps
11. Columbus Crew SC
12. FC Dallas
13. Real Salt Lake
14. D.C. United
15. New York Red Bulls
16. Seattle Sounders
17. New England Revolution
18. LA Galaxy
19. New York City FC
20. Orlando City

lol

xbhaskarx

Really, Donovan Ricketts first overall to Orlando City? I wouldn't even want him on my roster.

Timbers protect Villafana. LOL they must be high fiving each other in Portland.

xbhaskarx

Orlando is blowing it... what has Cascio done since his rookie season. Hell Colorado loaned him to Houston (where he didn't do much) last season. I bet Mark Watson is responsible, the guy is shitty at evaluating talent.

NYC takes Mullins, NE protects Neumann.

xbhaskarx

Orlando City you guys need to fire your entire front office, or at least Watson.

Quakes lose Jason Hernandez... they better protect Cato. They protect Ty Harden, not bad but I'd rather protect the 22 year old instead of an old journeyman.

xbhaskarx

Wow Heath Pearce, Orlando City make an even worse pick somehow... Dude was absolute crap in 2014.

Danny Mwanga. What year is this? Did OCSC coaches bother to watch any games this season?

Meier

I don't have an intimate knowledge of many of the players who aren't big producers since last year was my first year even moderately paying attention to the league, but it seems like most of the selections have been pretty weak for both teams. Grabavoy and Ricketts are about the only two names I recognize.

Ribeiro is gonna be a tough loss but we played him out of position when he started so...

What the fuck is the technical staff doing? He should have been protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom