• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

DaMarcus Beasley, Kyle Beckerman and Landon Donovan at Disneyland in Nov. 1999.

B46i1tFCUAAoyO7.jpg

CONCACAF Announces 2015 Gold Cup Host Cities, Venues, Group Seeds and Group Stage Dates
Seeded Nations
Group A – United States
Group B – Costa Rica
Group C – Mexico

Group Round
July 7 (Group A) - Dallas – Toyota Stadium (Frisco, TX)
July 8 (Group B) - Los Angeles – StubHub Center (Carson, CA)
July 9 (Group C) - Chicago – Soldier Field (Chicago, IL)
July 10 (Group A) - Boston – Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, MA)
July 11 (Group B) - Houston – BBVA Compass Stadium (Houston, TX)
July 12 (Group C) - Phoenix – University of Phoenix Stadium (Phoenix, AZ)
July 13 (Group A) - Kansas City – Sporting Park (Kansas City, KS)
July 14 (Group B) - Toronto – BMO Field (Toronto, ON)
July 15 (Group C) - Charlotte – Bank of America Stadium (Charlotte, NC)

Knockout Round Venues (alphabetical order by city)
Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA)
M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore, MD)
MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ)
Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia, PA)
US will play in Dallas, Boston, and KC.
The United States will kick off the 2015 Gold Cup in Dallas’ Toyota Stadium on July 7, before moving on with the rest of Group A to Boston (Gillette Stadium, July 10) and Kansas City (Sporting Park, July 13).

Yeah. Removing my Red Bulls hat for a second here to say that just from a pure soccer perspective, NYFC just feels like a cheap cash in to me. There's nothing endearing about NYCFC.

LA is even worse.

NYFC you can at least argue the geographic angle. If youre in Queens or the Bronx or Stamford, getting to Harrison is a PITA. Makes sense to go to the stadium thats down the street.

Not to mention red bulls have a lackluster trophy cabinet.

But LA? Even if they get their own stadium at Expo Park, if youre driving, it doesnt matter. Yes, if you live downtown the light rail is more convenient....but for 99% of LA?

Why wouldnt you be a fan of the existing team that has a huge history of success?

What kind of person would be a fan of the new team?

Hell, Chivas tried with the Mexican angle to differentiate themselves and obviously that didnt work.

Would they be like the LA Clippers? Where the competitive advantage are cheaper tickets?

I plan on going. It will be some decent soccer to get my mind off the dreadful Union.(im not holding my breath for the this year.)

yep. hopefully we'll get a US game here. *crosses fingers*

east rutherford and baltimore aren't too far either so if i can i might try to hit all three.

JDeluis

LA is even worse.

NYFC you can at least argue the geographic angle. If youre in Queens or the Bronx or Stamford, getting to Harrison is a PITA. Makes sense to go to the stadium thats down the street.

Not to mention red bulls have a lackluster trophy cabinet.

But LA? Even if they get their own stadium at Expo Park, if youre driving, it doesnt matter. Yes, if you live downtown the light rail is more convenient....but for 99% of LA?

Why wouldnt you be a fan of the existing team that has a huge history of success?

What kind of person would be a fan of the new team?

Hell, Chivas tried with the Mexican angle to differentiate themselves and obviously that didnt work.

Would they be like the LA Clippers? Where the competitive advantage are cheaper tickets?

I think they're better off moving the team to Anaheim, I'm sure there is some space in Orange to build a new stadium. The only reason people might root for the team is because Magic Johnson is behind the deal.

It's taken almost 30 years for the LA Clippers to be somewhat accepted in LA. I love the Clippers and Lakers equally. I'll cheer for the new team to be succesful, but no way will I ever chose them over the Galaxy. Cobi and Cienfuegos for lyfe!

Those sons a bitches in Orlando tried to pry away the Ginger Adonis with draft picks and $225,000. Red Bull turned them down.

THAT GOES FOR THE REST OF THE LEAGUE AS WELL: YOU STAY AWAY FROM HIM.

ಠ_ಠ

I think they're better off moving the team to Anaheim, I'm sure there is some space in Orange to build a new stadium. The only reason people might root for the team is because Magic Johnson is behind the deal.

It's taken almost 30 years for the LA Clippers to be somewhat accepted in LA. I love the Clippers and Lakers equally. I'll cheer for the new team to be succesful, but no way will I ever chose them over the Galaxy. Cobi and Cienfuegos for lyfe!

I think San Diego would be good. Or riverside

xbhaskarx

LAFC will be just fine, the LA metropolitan area is big enough that it could support four teams. Looks like they have ambitious ownership with deep pockets, now they need to worry about is getting the branding right and finding a good stadium location.

Jeremiah Oshan on SBNation with an interesting Twellman quote regarding the Lagerwey move:
"Secretly I think Adrian Hanauer needs Garth Lagerwey because I think Adrian Hanauer is going to look for a stadium," Twellman told ESPN700 when talking to the Salt Lake City radio station about the news he broke on Monday. "I know that's a long shot and people may find that surprising but I think Adrian Hanauer wants Seattle to have their own stadium and I wouldn't be shocked if that's where his focus and energy then turns."

Meier

Interesting. @City_Watch (the guy who curates this is pretty solid) is saying that some Turkish sources are suggesting City are possibly interested in bringing Wesley Sneijder to New York rather than Manchester. That'd be a huge coup. Perhaps they could buy him with MCFC and loan him to NYCFC to help soothe the Lampard issues.

Elchele

Interesting. @City_Watch (the guy who curates this is pretty solid) is saying that some Turkish sources are suggesting City are possibly interested in bringing Wesley Sneijder to New York rather than Manchester. That'd be a huge coup. Perhaps they could buy him with MCFC and loan him to NYCFC to help soothe the Lampard issues.

Seems like a good "deal" if in the end they want to keep Lampard in Manchester.

Sneijder + Villa could be good

xbhaskarx

U-18s beat Germany, the first of two games between the two sides in Spain, w/ the second match on Friday, Dec. 19

U-18 #USMNT starters: Klinsmann; Duncan, Redding, Pineda, Peleaz; Lindley, Swanson, Yueill; Saucedo, Elney, Mansaray

B5ECHgRCEAEmM1f.jpg

19th min., Mauricio Pineda gives U-18 #USMNT a 1-0 lead over Germany with a volley!

76th min., Brooks Lennon scores off rebound to push U-18 #USMNT lead to 2-0 vs. Germany! Sebastian Saucedo w/ initial shot of sequence

Stoppage time: Germany converts a penalty kick to cut the U-18 #USMNT's lead to 2-1

It's a FINAL: U-18 #USMNT 2, Germany 1

xbhaskarx

MLS on Campus: Year-round soccer schedule proponent Oliver Luck named NCAA executive VP

One of the most prominent advocates of the movement to shift the college soccer schedule to a year-round calendar has taken a major role in the upper reaches of the NCAA's leadership.

News broke on Wednesday that former Houston Dynamo executive Oliver Luck is joining the NCAA as the executive vice president of regulatory affairs, a new position in which he will report directly to NCAA president Mark Emmert.

“This is a time of fundamental change in intercollegiate athletics that will set the foundation for the years ahead,” Luck, 54, said in a statement. “The challenges both internal and external to the NCAA present a unique opportunity to help shape the landscape for hundreds of thousands of young men and women. It is an honor to join President Emmert, the NCAA staff, and our member institutions in this journey.”

In September Luck, who leaves behind his previous post as West Virginia University's athletic director, joined with the National Soccer Coaches Association of America on an initiative to change the NCAA season from its current fall-only schedule to a spring/fall structure more friendly to player development, and more in keeping with the norms of the global game. The coaches' plan has drawn support from across Major League Soccer, which still pulls much of its young talent from the college ranks despite the growth of its youth academy system.

“Ultimately it’s good for the game and the growth of college players, who will get more quality training sessions, more time on the ball, better recovery time, and less disruption to their academic schedules,” Luck told AmericanSoccerNow.com in September.

xbhaskarx

2014 NSCAA/Continental Tire NCAA Men's Division I All-America Teams

First Team

Pos Name Class School Hometown
K Alex Bono Jr. Syracuse Baldwinsville, N.Y.
D Joseph Greenspan* Sr. United States Naval Academy Westfield, N.J.
D Brandon Vincent Jr. Stanford Valencia, Calif.
D Joshua Yaro So. Georgetown Santa Barbara, Calif.
M Jay Chapman Jr. Michigan State Campbellford, Ont.
M Patrick Hodan Jr. Notre Dame Brookfield, Wis.
M Leo Stolz* Sr. UCLA Munich, Germany
M Tanner Thompson So. Indiana Loomis, Calif.
F Andy Craven Sr. North Carolina St. Simons Island, Ga.
F Fabien Herbers So. Creighton Ahaus, Germany
F Robbie Kristo** Sr. Saint Louis St. Louis, Mo.
F Jordan Morris So. Stanford Mercer Island, Wash.

Wow Tommy Tompson's brother Tanner made the first team... too bad he doesn't qualify as a homegrown player for the Quakes.

Meier

Is Lampard showing up late to NYCFC a done deal or are they still negotiating on that?

It's not official yet but it seems like it will happen. At a minimum, he'll probably stay until sometime in February to help cover for Yaya Toure and the AFCON. They're probably ironing out whether he stays longer at this point.

- Galarcep on Goal.com: Sources: Houston Dynamo emerge as frontrunner in Erick 'Cubo' Torres sweepstakes
The Dynamo have stepped up to meet the $7.5 million asking price for Torres, who joined Chivas USA on a loan with an option to buy prior to the 2014 MLS season. MLS has delayed in pulling the trigger on that purchase option until a suitable buyer could be secured. One team that had been believed to be a possibility, the Chicago Fire, went in another direction with their designated player plans, leaving the Dynamo as the best bet to land Torres.

MLS is working to finalize the full transfer, and part of the deal could see Torres play for Liga MX side Chivas Guadalajara in exchange for the lowering of the $7.5 million purchase option, sources confirmed to Goal USA. Chivas Guadalajara is in danger of being relegated from Liga MX if it has a poor spring season and Torres could be just the type of player to help the struggling club turn things around before returning to MLS in the spring or summer.

xbhaskarx

Good, I think I said earlier in this thread that the best place for Torres would be Houston or Chicago... but I thought he was only willing to go to LA or Seattle?

xbhaskarx

LAS VEGAS COUNCIL VOTES 4-3 FOR SOCCER STADIUM SUBSIDY

The Las Vegas City Council voted 4-3 to approve a stadium subsidy deal with a development partner seeking to bring a Major League Soccer team to play at the $200 million stadium.

The decision on Wednesday ends months of negotiating with the partnership of Findlay Sports & Entertainment and The Cordish Cos., the Baltimore-based development granted exclusive rights to build a sports venue in downtown.

That is a great deal:
The city’s $56.5 million contribution does not include the free land for the stadium site that would given to Findlay-Cordish. The 13 acres were appraised at $38 million to $48 million, said Bill Arent, the city’s economic development chief.

Findlay-Cordish would also receive use of a city-built parking garage for 90 annual stadium events and get to keep parking revenues from those events. Findlay-Cordish must also create a parking plan.

Arent said the stadium would be owned privately by Cordish-Findlay and he compared it to a “a private redevelopment project.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom