• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Sporting KC forward Dom Dwyer promises more goals after new contract, hopes to represent the USMNT

Dom Dwyer's contract extension with Sporting Kansas City does more than guarantee several more years with the club where he now holds multiple single-season scoring marks. It also keeps him in the country he hopes to represent someday.

“It's something I want to look forward to,” the young English forward told reporters in a conference call shortly after the extension was announced on Wednesday. “It's something I'm very excited about, and I've heard little rumors here and there, little conversations with my agent that there's interest in the US camp. That would be amazing if my phone was to ever ring for that.

“Obviously, it's a good thing to be in the league for, and I also think the league's going places as well. It's a place to be.”

Dwyer has lived in the US since 2009 and received his green card in early 2012, and the typical five-year period before citizenship means he could be a USMNT shirt in 2017.

xbhaskarx

Mock Draft v1.0: With less than a month to go, MLS on Campus looks ahead to 2015 SuperDraft

1 Joshua Yaro (D) Georgetown
2 Fatai Alashe (MF) Michigan State
3 Cyle Larin (F) Connecticut / GA
4 Robert Kristo (F) St. Louis
5 Boyd Okwuonu (D) North Carolina
6 Skylar Thomas (D) Syracuse
7 Cristian Roldan (M) Washington / GA
8 Tim Parker (D) St. John's
9 Tyler Miller (GK) Northwestern
10 Khiry Shelton (F) Oregon State
11 Nick Besler (M) Notre Dame
12 Otis Earle (D) UC Riverside
13 Eric Bird (M) Virginia
14 Leo Stolz (M) UCLA
15 Connor Hallisey (M) Cal
16 Andy Thoma (D) Washington
17 Oumar Ballo (D) UMBC
18 Anthony Manning (D) St. Louis
19 Alex Bono (GK) Syracuse
20 Andrew Wolverton (GK) Penn State
21 Saad Abdul-Salaam (D) Akron

No way Leo Stolz falls that far...

I just realized there will be 21 picks in a 20 team league because of Chivas.

xbhaskarx

ASN: German-American Ashton Götz Arrives in Bundesliga

The 21-year-old Hamburg fullback took advantage of injuries to make his Bundesliga debut, and in the process showed he can compete in the top flight. Brian Sciaretta spoke with the German-American.

121714_reuters_gotzashton_RTR4C3D0.jpg

xbhaskarx

Every other American sports league has teams that get huge handouts, MLS getting $50-60 million (when some NFL stadiums now cost a billion dollars) once in a while is something I'm glad to see.
The new Earthquakes stadium was privately financed by ownership and now the team is saying the facade won't be completed this year. The suites are at field level because that saved money. I'd be more than happy for the local government to pitch in a few million so some of those decisions could have gone differently.

On the other hand Las Vegas is in rough shape (housing market, unemployment)...

Every other American sports league has teams that get huge handouts, MLS getting $50-60 million (when some NFL stadiums now cost a billion dollars) once in a while is something I'm glad to see.
The new Earthquakes stadium was privately financed by ownership and now the team is saying the facade won't be completed this year. The suites are at field level because that saved money. I'd be more than happy for the local government to pitch in a few million so some of those decisions could have gone differently.

On the other hand Las Vegas is in rough shape (housing market, unemployment)...

Then I'm glad you're in no position to decide these things.

Really, you'd drop a few million in public tab money so the SUITES get a better view?

Really?

xbhaskarx

Really, you'd drop a few million in public tab money so the SUITES get a better view?

What? No, I don't want the suites to have a better view. I want suites in the back because I want rowdy hardcore fans up front not rich folks who might not even show up, and will likely be sipping wine if they do. Because a Portland style atmosphere is what will attract fans to games. That's my primary concern, not the quality of the view from the suites.

ZZMitch

Just saw a dude wearing a Portland Timbers jersey in the Amsterdam airport, did a double take :p

So far while in the Netherlands:
MLS jersies seen: 1
Eredivisie jersies: 0

Dartastic

What? No, I don't want the suites to have a better view. I want suites in the back because I want rowdy hardcore fans up front not rich folks who might not even show up, and will likely be sipping wine if they do. Because a Portland style atmosphere is what will attract fans to games. That's my primary concern, not the quality of the view from the suites.

Just saw a dude wearing a Portland Timbers jersey in the Amsterdam airport, did a double take :p

So far while in the Netherlands:
MLS jersies seen: 1
Eredivisie jersies: 0
So uh, fuck yeah Timbers.

I don't know if I mentioned this in the thread. I'm so, so, so happy about this. I have a friend of mine who I see at a local soccer bar regularly, and I see her at games all the time. A couple months ago I was drinking at the bar with her, and I for some reason casually asked her if she knew anyone who had a Timbers season ticket they didn't need for this season. As a matter of fact...

GUESS WHO MANAGED TO SOMEHOW GET A TIMBERS ARMY SEASON TICKET FOR THIS SEASON. THIS GUY. OUR STADIUM HOLDS ABOUT 20K, THE SEASON TICKET WAITING LIST IS ABOUT 10K, AND I SOMEHOW GOT SOMEONE TO SELL ME THEIR SEASON TICKET AT FACE VALUE FOR THIS YEAR. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

...I haven't paid for it yet, but I trust this person. The TA is all about reselling at face value, because fuck scalpers. AHHHHHHHHHH

xbhaskarx

Ariel Lassiter signs with LA Galaxy 2

Instagram

article (they don't seem to realize it's not the MLS Galaxy)

"It’s official. I am now part of the L.A. Galaxy," announced Ariel Lassiter on Instagram.

Lassiter, a 2013 graduate of Great Oak High School, led the Wolfpack to three straight Southwestern League Championships and was selected All-Area and All-CIF. Lassiter was also named HS Gametime Boys Soccer Player of the Year and CBAADA Athlete of the Year.

Lassiter trained with San Diego’s Albion SC where he won three National Titles and was awarded the U16 Golden Boot Award at the 2011 US Youth Soccer National Championships.

Lassiter joined the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Mustangs in the fall of 2013 on a soccer scholarship where he started 21 matches as a freshman and was the team’s second leading scorer. He was named to the Big West Conference All-Freshman Team.

The speedy striker left his scholarship behind in July 2014 to pursue a professional career in Europe where he played for GAIS in Gothenburg, Sweden. He also signed a two-year contract with Nike. In Lassiter’s first eight starts, he scored two goals and had three assists, earning two "Man of the Match" awards.

After thanking GAIS, Lassiter said, "Now it’s time for me to embark on a new chapter." Lassiter’s goals were to go pro, make the National Team, and compete in the World Cup.

Lassiter is the son of MLS and US National Team great, Roy Lassiter, whose 27 goals in a season still stands as a Major League Soccer record. His father was also a striker. The younger Lassiter is a dual citizen of the United States and Costa Rica.

Osorio

The 7 without championship appearnaces are all expansion teams made no earlier than 2005

Chivas
Toronto
Seattle
Philadelphia
Montreal
Portland
Vancouver

GUESS WHO MANAGED TO SOMEHOW GET A TIMBERS ARMY SEASON TICKET FOR THIS SEASON. THIS GUY. OUR STADIUM HOLDS ABOUT 20K, THE SEASON TICKET WAITING LIST IS ABOUT 10K, AND I SOMEHOW GOT SOMEONE TO SELL ME THEIR SEASON TICKET AT FACE VALUE FOR THIS YEAR. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Congrats dude

xbhaskarx

Re-Entry Draft Stage 2

Nearly 60 players are still available for selection in Stage 2 of the 2014 MLS Re-Entry Process on Thursday. Dec. 18 at 3 pm ET.

Any players not picked up after Stage 2 become available to any MLS club on a first-come, first-served basis.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

NYCFC is going to wind up playing in Jersey, just upstate of NYC or on Long Island. They should really be looking at Nassau, public transit won't be as good as a location in the city limits but there's still decent bus service and the LIRR is pretty good.

NYCFC is going to wind up playing in Jersey, just upstate of NYC or on Long Island. They should really be looking at Nassau, public transit won't be as good as a location in the city limits but there's still decent bus service and the LIRR is pretty good.

I don't see New Jersey as an option, honestly. Having it outside of NYC proper is one thing, and they can claim New York all they want in either of the other two places, but having your stadium in not new york when the whole team is built around the 5 Boroughs or whatever it was they were marketing as makes me think they are going to avoid NJ at all costs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't see New Jersey as an option, honestly. Having it outside of NYC proper is one thing, and they can claim New York all they want in either of the other two places, but having your stadium in not new york when the whole team is built around the 5 Boroughs or whatever it was they were marketing as makes me think they are going to avoid NJ at all costs.

Well if they can't find a spot on one of the four boroughs, Staten Island doesn't count because it's even more annoying to get to than Jersey, and they won't do Jersey, then their only choice is Nassau. The problem there is Nassau is almost as annoying to get to as Jersey is. Unless they're willing to compromise something they'll be playing out of Yankee stadium forever.

Well if they can't find a spot on one of the four boroughs, Staten Island doesn't count because it's even more annoying to get to than Jersey, and they won't do Jersey, then their only choice is Nassau. The problem there is Nassau is almost as annoying to get to as Jersey is. Unless they're willing to compromise something they'll be playing out of Yankee stadium forever.

Playing out of Yankee stadium in my opinion tarnishes the Yankee brand. Such classic Randy Levine tactics..absolutely clueless..

I consider higher up being a better view

Meier

The Columbus Crew said they have a major announcement coming today. I wonder if that's a player acquisition or something more mundane.

Orlando City tweeted earlier they were holding a press conference later today for a "major announcement" as well. Might be some sort of league wide thing perhaps.. or some sort of deal between the teams?

Ahh right, this will be for Brek Shea. Apparently at 3 PM Eastern it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom