• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Report: USMNT’s Mix Diskerud close to signing with Club Tijuana on free transfer

dUMWoh4.gif

American Soccer Star's Father Accused of Running Multimillion Dollar Scam in Norway

O-Brother-Where-Art-Thou-007.jpg

xbhaskarx

Detroit soccer update: Stadium details coming; USL Pro club team delayed

The organizer of a plan to build a soccer-specific stadium in Detroit said he intends to have renderings of it done by January, but he hasn’t picked a location or finalized details of the new venue.

Those details will come later next year, said Dan Duggan, who announced in April he had preliminary approval from the Tampa, Fla.-based United Soccer Leagues to launch a USL Professional Division expansion team in Detroit.

The original plan was for a USL Pro club to play in Detroit next year, but the planning and financing work behind the scenes has pushed that back a year – a delay first reported online Wednesday by ClickOnDetroit’s soccer correspondent.

Duggan, owner of the semipro Michigan Bucks in Pontiac and brother of Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, was recently named the USL Premier Development League executive of the year.

xbhaskarx

Assist from Rubin in the 29th minute to make it 2-0 Utrecht...

Rubin also could have had another assist and scored a goal (it went inches wide) just in the first half...

Johansson didn't look too great...

xbhaskarx

The US U-17s played Tottenham U-18s and were leading 1-0 when the game was called off due to a brawl involving... Cameron Carter-Vickers, their potential 2017 U-20 teammate.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/56704761

Pulisic goal at 6:10
CCV (#5) sprinting 40 yards to body check Arellano and tossing around kids half his size like rag dolls at 1:28:30

xbhaskarx

Juan Agudelo Shocked to Learn His Agent Died 8 Months Ago

A COUCH IN FLORIDA-
Juan Agudelo was shocked and saddened this morning to discover that his agent, Frank Goldstone, has passed away. Agudelo was more surprised to find that Goldstone met his end almost a year ago.

"He told me on our last phone conversation to just hold tight and he would handle everything," Agudelo told The Touch Line Times. "He said not to bother Stoke or MLS or anyone, and that he would be in touch as soon as he had good news."

The phone never rang. That conversation occurred in March of 2014, likely just hours before Goldstone was killed in a freak blimp accident. Goldstone’s estate reportedly had no instructions to notify his clients upon his demise.

When asked how he could have missed the news of his agent’s untimely death, Agudelo told us that he doesn’t read the news. “Whenever I go on twitter or the internet I just get mad. I spend most of my time watching Dragonball-Z and playing FIFA. I’m getting really good, too.”

ZZMitch

The US U-17s played Tottenham U-18s and were leading 1-0 when the game was called off due to a brawl involving... Cameron Carter-Vickers, their potential 2017 U-20 teammate.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/56704761

Pulisic goal at 6:10
CCV (#5) sprinting 40 yards to body check Arellano and tossing around kids half his size like rag dolls at 1:28:30

lol #9 on our team (Alejandro Zendejas) getting in shoving matches with guys that have more than a foot on him. What a boss.

Arials

A freak blimp accident? What the shit? Lucky someone told Agudelo, he could have been sitting on that couch forever, his estate really should have given everyone a call though.

banner2.jpg

Something makes me think that the agent is probably actually fine...

xbhaskarx

US Under-20 national team finishes 2014 with back-to-back 2-1 wins at Honduras

The United States Under-20 men's national team finished 2014 on a strong note, picking up back-to-back 2-1 decisions away to Honduras in San Pedro Sula on Thursday and Sunday.

Columbus Crew SC midfielder Romain Gall (pictured) picked up a goal in each of the games to take his total for the U-20s on the year to a team-leading four goals. San Jose Earthquakes forward Tommy Thompson scored the winner in the first game, with both goals on the day set up by defender Shaquell Moore.

Forward Lynden Gooch scored the game-winner in the second half of Sunday's game, which brought the US to a 6-1-2 record against international competition and 12-2-2 record overall in 2014.

After the holidays, the US will head to Jamaica ahead of their Jan. 9 opener ine the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, which will also serve as the qualifying tournament for the 2015 U-20 World Cup, to be held May 30-June 20 in New Zealand.

Gooch's goal: http://instagram.com/p/w5HaUECQxo/

highlights from the first game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKqd1WatyL8

better highlights from ussoccer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UPWc2Eza5c

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
What are the requirements for the work permit? I thought you had to play a certain number of Nat. team games.

His grandmother is Latvian so he was able to get a Latvian passport which made getting the work permit a lot easier. Helped him get around the national team rule

Edit: turns out he didnt need the passport after all. "Yedlin was granted a Governing Body Endorsement by the United Kingdom Border Agency, meaning that he no longer needs to wait on his Latvian passport application to come through in order to sign with Spurs." http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...mit-granted-seattle-sounders-transfer-january

sounds like they made a special exception?

xbhaskarx

Whitecaps poised to add scorer Octavio Rivero

The Vancouver Whitecaps aren't officially talking about it yet, but it appears the club has landed a new goal scorer.

Multiple media reports say 22-year-old Uruguayan striker Octavio Rivero will sign with the team soon and report for training camp next month.

The 6-2 Rivero has scored 10 goals in 16 games this season for O'Higgins in Chile's top-flight Primera Division after bagging 10 goals in 17 games for Uruguayan side Rentistas.

He will likely be signed as a young designated player in Major League Soccer, meaning just $200,000 of his salary will count against the 2015 league salary cap, which has to be determined under a new collective bargaining agreement next season.

The Caps already have a young designated player in Argentine defensive midfielder Matias Laba and a regular designated player in playmaking midfielder Pedro Morales, who makes $1.4 million a season, but just $387,500 counts against the salary cap.

- The Guardian: Manuel Pellegrini expects decision on Frank Lampard’s future ‘in days’
Manuel Pellegrini has denied New York City FC will be upset if Frank Lampard extends his loan beyond December, with the manager stating they are having “long conversations” with Manchester City’s sister club to resolve the situation.

The manager wants the midfielder to continue at the champions and Lampard has indicated he wants to stay on longer. Pellegrini believes the 36-year-old’s future at City will be finalised in the coming days.

Lampard was signed as a marquee player for NYC yet despite this the City manager is adamant the MLS club will not have any issues if he remains at City.

Asked if NYC would be upset if Lampard stays, Pellegrini said: “I don’t think so. That is why we have long conversations with all of them. I hope Frank’s situation will be resolved in the next days. I said in the beginning it will be during December we are going to have the last decision. I repeat Frank is very important for our team so I hope he will stay here.”

Arials

^^You missed the best quote: "That is just one club so I think that what is better for the club [Man City] is better for all the clubs."

xbhaskarx

USL PRO to Expand to 32 Teams in 2016?

A source that attended the AGM indicated that 8 ownership groups have expressed interest in starting new, independent USL PRO franchises to begin play in the season after next. After the vetting process, half can be expected to be granted rights to a team. The source also revealed that as many as 4 MLS clubs will start reserve teams in 2016. Assuming the existing 24 USL PRO clubs continue to participate in the league, the total of 8 additions would bring the league to 32 teams, a 33% increase over 2015.

that would be
2014: 14
2015: 24
2016: 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom