• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

B5PtsydCcAAqbTG.jpg
Alejandro Bedoya @AleBedoya17
OMG lost member of N'sync!?😂😂

xbhaskarx

Arsenal’s Gedion Zelalem is a U.S. citizen

The German-born midfielder, who played six years of youth soccer in the D.C. area before signing with Arsenal in 2013, was in Washington on Monday to finalize the naturalization process, clearing the way to represent the United States in international competition, the Insider has learned.

Zelalem, 17, must now await FIFA approval, but that is believed to be a perfunctory exercise. Although he will remain eligible for Germany and Ethiopia (his family’s homeland), Zelalem has told friends and American officials that he plans to commit to the U.S. program, multiple sources said. The fact he flew to Washington from London during Arsenal’s normal weekly training routine further revealed his intentions.

Zelalem visited the Passport Agency on 19th Street Northwest, three blocks from the White House, and was recognized by at least two bystanders.

Affiliated with a prominent Premier League club, Zelalem will immediately become one of the top young prospects in the U.S. build-up to the 2016 Olympics and 2018 World Cup. The first realistic opportunity for Jurgen Klinsmann to summon him to the senior national team is in late March, the next official period on the FIFA match calendar, when the Americans play friendlies at Denmark and Switzerland.

xbhaskarx

Emerson Hyndman back in the starting lineup in Fulham loss

Though his impact was largely confined to the middle third of the field, Hyndman completed 51 of 56 passes while committing just one handling turnover. His efficient night not only extended his lead atop Fulham's passing percentage chart at 89 percent, it nudged him incrementally past Reading's Daniel Williams for the top completion rate among Americans playing in Europe this season.

@SoccerInsider said:
Gedion Zelalem dad says becoming American is "big privilege for both of us. I hope in the future Gedion does great things for this country"

Arsene Wenger granted permission last Fri nite for Zelalem to travel to DC. Gedion & dad will return to London tonight. #usmnt

Gedion Zelalem's dad: "What I see, more or less, is Gedion will come to the US team when they call him. Definitely" #usmnt

EDIT:
@J_Klinsmann said:
Great news about Gedion. He's a very promising young talent and we hope to have him on board soon.

xbhaskarx

Parchman: Breaking down the U20 World Cup Qualifying roster

Ives: Ramos lauds deep crop of U.S. U-20 central midfielders

Ramos named Virginia’s Jake Rozhansky and Georgetown’s Arun Basuljevic as examples of players who may have made the U-20 squad in the past, but that are on the outside looking in because of the position’s current depth.

“It’s really difficult (to finalize the squad) because I can name eight central midfielders who should be on the team, and I can name guys who are not on the 30 who legit could be on the team and help us,” Ramos explained. “There’s going to be guys who unquestionably have enough potential to be professional players, and unfortunately I can’t consider them because there are just a couple of guys who are just a little bit better.”

Sciaretta: U-20 World Cup Qualifying: A Close Look at the Roster

Two Disappointing Omissions

Boxi Yomba—the Georgia native surprised youth national team followers when he signed a deal with Atletico Madrid over the summer. Yomba, 18, only began playing with the U.S. under-20 team in November for a tournament in Spain, and he promptly scored two goals.
As of now, it is unclear if Yomba was simply not released by Atletico or whether he is behind other players in the pool. Competition at the forward position is very intense right now with Paul Arriola, Bradford Jamieson IV, Amando Moreno, Alex Muyl, Andrija Novakovich, Rubin, Ben Spencer, and Tommy Thompson all making the cut, while midfielders Zach Pfeffer and Lynden Gooch are both capable of pushing forward.

Desevio Payne—the South Carolina-born Payne qualifies as a surprise primarily because he has not even been called up during this cycle. He has been making the matchday roster for Groningen most of December and he should make his Eredivisie debut soon after the winter break. Payne has repeatedly said that he would accept a call-up from the United States U-20 team despite being raised in the Netherlands. (He is a Dutch-American citizen.) Furthermore, neither of the fullback positions are particularly strong on this U.S. team and adding a talented right back like Payne probably should have been a priority for Ramos.

Zelalem and Green are both in this age group (although Green can't play in this tournament) so it really is a deep crop...

- Howler Magazine podcast for this week:
This week on DUMMY, George Quraishi, David Goldblatt and Danny Karbassiyoon discuss the newest American phenom,18-year-old Arsenal academy player Gedion Zelalem. He recently became an American citizen, paving his way to play for the US Men’s National Team. Danny was the one who scouted Gedion for Arsenal, so he gives us his take on the young player, and brings his own perspective as a former up-and-coming American talent. Then, the panel picks the best and worst of 2014 in the DUMMY awards.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Grant Wahl says MC actually own Lampard's contract. If true, how can NY announce that they signed him to a contract?

As well he should, shit he's not giving it to them hard enough. Those season ticket holders were basically lied to: they lied about Lampard's contract, they lied about how seriously they were taking this team, and they lied about the idea of representing NYC. NYCFC is just a Man City farm team at this point. They're actually worse than the Jets at this point and for the past few years they've been the most garbage team in the city so that's saying a lot considering the Mets and Knicks play here too. At least they take this shit seriously.

The NYCFC/Man City leadership see their fans as lesser, unless they manage to win a MLS Cup their first season they're dead in this city before they even play a single game.

As well he should, shit he's not giving it to them hard enough. Those season ticket holders were basically lied to: they lied about Lampard's contract, they lied about how seriously they were taking this team, and they lied about the idea of representing NYC. NYCFC is just a Man City farm team at this point. They're actually worse than the Jets at this point and for the past few years they've been the most garbage team in the city so that's saying a lot considering the Mets and Knicks play here too. At least they take this shit seriously.

The NYCFC/Man City leadership see their fans as lesser, unless they manage to win a MLS Cup their first season they're dead in this city before they even play a single game.
Hate to say I told yall brahs. Osorio knew what was up too.....

It's a fucking shame too cause an nycfc and red bulls kind of derby would've been so good for the league and now we get nothing.

The biggest city in the US with a good soccer rivalry would've brought attention to things. But now we're stuck with the red bulls and man city c team. Hardly a rivalry. Would rather root for the red bulls at this point.

Ugh. 2 steps forward like 5 backward

RBH

I know this isn't really American soccer, but:

NBC Sports Group will kick off its 2015 coverage of the Premier League by going Red Zone.

NBCSN on Jan. 1 for the first time will present eight of the circuit's matches in wrap-around fashion -- a la NFL Red Zone -- during the 10 a.m. (ET) window. The inaugural Premier League Breakaway will supply live look-ins of the best action, so viewers won't miss a single score or any of the circuit's top action.

Rebecca Lowe will guide the program as it cuts from match to match to follow the most important stories with minimal interruption.
http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/nbcsn-kicks-premier-league-breakaway-jan-1/386556

I'm watching it right now, and it's pretty cool. Having a NFL RedZone-like presentation for soccer could be an interesting way of gaining new fans in the U.S.

Perhaps it's just my disdain for Man City, but the whole NYCFC sounded like a sham from the start.

The fact that its just City's AAA club isn't surprising in the least.

Perhaps it's just my disdain for Man City, but the whole NYCFC sounded like a sham from the start.

The fact that its just City's AAA club isn't surprising in the least.
Yep. It's a shame for the MLS, just when they were on the road to legitimacy. I just feel so disgusted by it. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Elchele

Makes sense for City to keep Lampard, considering Yaya is going to the African Cup.
They aren't going to put in danger the Premier League and CL just to make MLS people happy

Makes sense for City to keep Lampard, considering Yaya is going to the African Cup.
They aren't going to put in danger the Premier League and CL just to make MLS people happy

If MCFC held the contract this whole time it's not their problem. Lampard is their player and they can do whatever they like.

This is squarely on NYCFC and MLS for advertising and selling a player who they didn't even own.

It's
ngDCi9a.png

Osorio

Hate to say I told yall brahs. Osorio knew what was up too.....

*bro fist*

I don't care how many season tickets they've sold. Their fans are all plastic spoons to me.

How you can make Red Bull look like the lesser of two evils is mindblowing.

Absurd!

Can't wait for the first brand derby.

Happy new year's y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom