• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low balling aside don't you think the college kids know if they wait til next year's draft a new collective bargaining will be in place and they will sign into a better contract.

Why be super cheap with up and coming talent that can grow along with the league, referring to the draft, but then allow this much to be spent on basically a rental of someone past their prime? I understand they want to put people in the seats and eyes on the TV but I would like to see some balance. Isn't the league crying broke at the moment? I don't expect it to happen in this current CBA negotiation but there will be some major changes in the next I am sure.
Yep. Garber has overstayed his welcome. I don't like where this league is headed.....

xbhaskarx

Low balling aside don't you think the college kids know if they wait til next year's draft a new collective bargaining will be in place and they will sign into a better contract.

Yeah I think that's what is happening from the players side.
And from the MLS side I think it's a reaction to some of the players they have signed big GA deals and not panned out while those who snub MLS for Europe often end up coming back for $50k salaries a couple years later. Also if the league wants to play hardball with veteran players already succeeding in MLS it probably doesn't look good to be throwing $150k plus future tuition expenses at too many unproven college sophomores...

xbhaskarx

MLS Draft taking shape, but could be without top underclassmen

Part of the reason for the reluctance of top underclassmen to turn pro this year could, at least in some part, be because of the fact MLS is set to sign a new Collective Bargaining Agreement in the coming months, which is expected to lead to a higher salary cap. For players like Larin, Roldan, Danladi and Yaro, staying in school for a year could lead to significantly larger contracts heading into the 2016 MLS Draft.

This sheds some light on the Stolz thing:

One senior who has yet to sign, and appears unlikely to sign before the draft, is UCLA midfielder Leo Stolz. One of the most talented players in the draft pool, Stolz's age (he'll be 24 when the season begins) and contract demands (such as trying to dictate which teams may draft him) have hurt his draft stock as well as the chances he signs an MLS contract before the draft.

- Tab Ramos Names 20-Player Roster for 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship
U.S. U-20 MNT Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Ethan Horvath (Molde FK), Zack Steffen (SC Freiburg)
DEFENDERS (6): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur), Conor Donovan (N.C. State), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Shaquell Moore (Unattached), John Requejo (Club Tijuana), Tyler Turner (Orlando City)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Fernando Arce (Club Tijuana), Russell Canouse (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim), Junior Flores (Borussia Dortmund), Romain Gall (Columbus Crew), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham)
FORWARDS (5): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Bradford Jamieson IV (LA Galaxy), Amando Moreno (Club Tijuana), Ben Spencer (Molde FK), Tommy Thompson (San Jose Earthquakes)
Good to see Carter-Vickers and Hyndman on there.

The AP article gets into that:
How did it come to this? It depends on who you listen to.

NYCFC'S website seemed clear on July 24: "New York City FC signs Frank Lampard to a Designated Player contract ... a two-year contract which starts August 1st." Fans of a team without 11 players were urged to buy Lampard jerseys and tickets for the 2015 season.

Lampard then went on the YES Network — part owned by the New York Yankees, an NYCFC minority owner — to stress he joined MLS because he couldn't play against Chelsea after 13 years in west London.

"I didn't want to play anywhere else in England because I had been so affiliated with one club," Lampard said on July 27. "So it made sense for me to move."

By Aug. 6, it didn't. City confirmed what had been anticipated, tweeting: "FRANK LAMPARD: Midfielder joins #mcfc on loan."

Later in England, Lampard explained the move: "I got the call to come back here."

MLS now says that Lampard was in fact was signed last July by City Football Group, the umbrella company for the portfolio of clubs owned by Sheikh Mansour in Manchester, Melbourne and New York, to play in MLS in 2015 and 2016. The intention, MLS confirmed, was always for Lampard join up with Man City until the end of 2014 before joining NYCFC, although he was expected back by the start of 2015.

"He was scheduled to train with the (Manchester) team and possibly play in some matches that would help him prepare for the start of the New York City FC season," Garber said Sunday in an MLS statement to The Associated Press.

Although City described Lampard's arrival as a "loan" on Aug. 6, that online announcement has been removed and the term "loan" not used by the club again, although Lampard has referenced "loan" in media interviews.

City has not responded to detailed questions about Lampard's contractual status. But deep in City's 2013-14 accounts is a declaration that the "football registrations ... acquired" since May 31 was Lampard's.

Announcing Lampard would not be returning for the MLS season opener, City said on Dec. 31 that Lampard's "contract" had been extended.

It's an uncomfortable situation for MLS. Lampard stretching out his career in England beyond his planned farewell shows that the Premier League outranks NYCFC's debut for the Abu Dhabi ownership.

"When he initially joined Manchester City, none of us envisioned Frank would play such a prominent role in the club's season," Garber said.

But with seven goals, Lampard has defied his years by showing he can still cut it at the highest level. Now Lampard is staying at City until May, and his MLS career is due to finally start halfway through the regular season in July.

tim.mbp

Any news on Jozy getting the fuck out of England? I really hope he's able to resurrect his professional career. I know there were rumors of Werder Bremen interest.

NoRéN

Poor Werder Bremen if true.

Altidore should take a page from wrestling. Announces that he's coming home, lets hype build but shows up at NYCFC. That will get some butts in the seats.

xbhaskarx

Pretty strong roster, the weaknesses are probably center back (not sure about Miazga or Donovan next to CCV) and forward without Rubin (surprised Ben Spencer made it)...

No Romain Gall, I'd put him near the top of the list...

Arials

Could've sworn it was announced that he would be available for the start of the MLS season.

Garber was basically lying there. Trying to act like MLS knew this was always the plan when it actually only became the plan once he started playing well for Man City.

In addition to that:

Kevin Kinkead
‏@KevinKCBS3
RE: the Goff report, I've heard it may be a loan to Colorado. We'll see what happens.

Dude is a Union insider so I'm willing to bet he's correct.

I'm pretty much good with the news. MacMath is a good gk but M'Bohli is definitely a better talent. MacMath is still really young gk wise so he has plenty of room to grow.

More Union news:

AW3AfqS.jpg

Comcast who handles the ticketing fucked up and let this loose on the account manager page for some people.

One of the TBD is definitely Orlando City, but I wonder why they havent been scheduled yet?

Osorio

I'm more excited for the start of the Liga MX clausura than the MLS season thanks to this shit off-season.

Our only acquisition's been Sal fucking Zizzo.

NoRéN

I'm more excited for the start of the Liga MX clausura than the MLS season thanks to this shit off-season.

America made new signings (including a new coach since they fired their title winning coach), Tigres looks for revenge, Chivas not doing so well, and Ronaldihno.

Easy to see why you would be more excited for Liga MX.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Its been the weirdest shit, I'd have thought we would grab a bunch of defenders but there's been nothing. What the hell is going on, can someone leak something?

Osorio

Its been the weirdest shit, I'd have thought we would grab a bunch of defenders but there's been nothing. What the hell is going on, can someone leak something?

So we called De Rossi. Woohoo?

By now there'd at least be rumors of us looking at people. Tryouts? Loans?

Not even a fucking CB from the Cypriot Premier League on trial

Osorio

NoRéN;146117800 said:
America made new signings (including a new coach since they fired their title winning coach), Tigres looks for revenge, Chivas not doing so well, and Ronaldihno.

Easy to see why you would be more excited for Liga MX.

Yep, Chivas with a chance to be relegated while Cubo is on loan there is a huge story.

My adopted team's first game is against Queretaro so I'm looking forward to that. My friend from Mexico City said that UNAM is transitioning to an all-Mexican squad. Is that bullshit? Haven't seen that anywhere other than from him.

NoRéN

Yep, Chivas with a chance to be relegated while Cubo is on loan there is a huge story.

My adopted team's first game is against Queretaro so I'm looking forward to that. My friend from Mexico City said that UNAM is transitioning to an all-Mexican squad. Is that bullshit? Haven't seen that anywhere other than from him.

Chivas doing that poorly is definitely big news.

Regarding Pumas, that's the first i hear of that. How did you settle on Pumas?

Osorio

NoRéN;146172329 said:
Chivas doing that poorly is definitely big news.

Regarding Pumas, that's the first i hear of that. How did you settle on Pumas?

Yeah maybe it's a slow transition? Or maybe since he lives in la DF he gets news we don't.

Pretty simple why I picked Pumas. I'm a fan of social reconstructionist education, am a teacher myself, so a fanbase full of progressive students appeals to me.

They were the first team to acknowledge and protest against what happened to the students of Ayotzinapa.

Osorio

LOL! I was bitching about lack of off-season news and we get this:

Bigapplesoccer said:
An offseason of changes continues for the New York Red Bulls as BigAppleSoccer.com has learned that assistant coach Robin Fraser is not returning to the team.

Fraser, who has been head coach Mike Petke’s assistant for the past two seasons, is leaving New York for Toronto FC where he will take position there, according to a team source.

Fraser boasts an impressive resume, including being an assistant with Real Salt Lake as well as two seasons where he was head coach of Chivas USA.

He was offered a one-year contract extension this past offseason to return to the Red Bulls. Recently announced sporting director Ali Curtis also was offered a one-year contract.

A team source said that Fraser will be an assistant with Toronto FC. The contract is believed to be for three years.

Signed by the league in 1996, Fraser was one of the original members of the Los Angeles Galaxy and his form in MLS translated to a solid career -- he was named to the MLS Best XI four times -- on the international stage where he made 27 appearances with the United States national team.

After two seasons with the Red Bulls in which he partnered with Petke for a Supporters Shield run in 2014 and then a deep push into the playoffs this year, finding a quality assistant to go alongside a rising head coach has become priority No. 1 for Curtis.

UGHHHHHHHHH

Askani

Making headlines in the categories of "About Time" and "Worst Kept Signing Secrets" news, Roger Espinoza is back with Sporting KC.

That being said, I'm feeling better about our midfield. Feilhaber + Nagamura + Espinoza. Hoping that since Claros will have more training time he fits in better too. That and hopefully he'll have some synergy with Espinoza since they both play for the Honduran Nats.

Askani

Too bad. Would have eased the Uri/Injury pains we felt. I don't think we would've been in any better shape to win the Cup last year/season, but it would have been better for us.

Sam McDowell ‏@SamMcDowell11 2 minutes ago
Vermes said this move almost came together last summer, but Wigan wouldn't agree to release Espinoza from his contract.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom