• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
- ASN: MLS' Lowball Offers Could Undermine "Super" Draft
Despite the arrival of two expansion teams and bold proclamations about its successful 2014, MLS is making lowball offers to college underclassmen, including Jordan Morris, and may lose out on top talent.
“They had talks but it wasn’t enough to get him to leave, and he’s coming back,” said one industry source. “Well, it’s not definite he’s coming back—he may still go to Europe. It’s no secret Jurgen (Klinsmann, the U.S. national team head coach) really likes him and he can easily make some calls to Germany or wherever to get Jordan some trials. So that might happen. But he’s definitely not signing with Seattle.

Arials

Add Jordan Morris, Abu Danladi and Leo Stolz to the list of young players being put off joining MLS by low contract offers. Leo Stolz got offered half what he was offered to appear in last years draft and has flown out to Germany to look for a club there instead.

All of this leaves the league’s annual draft without many of the top players in college soccer—in a year in which two expansion teams are joining the ranks. Orlando City and New York City FC hold the top two picks in next month’s so-called SuperDraft, and several industry sources tell American Soccer Now that the clubs are frustrated with MLS’ ability to sign their top choices.

"These teams, they feel like they paid $75 million, $100 million in expansion fees to MLS to get into the league and now the league is keeping them from starting off with the top players for the draft because of (a difference) of $40,000 or $50,000,” said an agent advising some of the top underclassmen. “I’ve spoken to the people at New York City and they’re very frustrated. They want to be able to draft one of the top players and so far they can’t get who they want. It’s like the league isn’t listening to the teams about who should be in the draft or what they think they players are worth."

Has there been any news with the CBA talks recently? Almost close to radio silence on that front from what I can tell.
I haven't heard anything. Not sure if they're still negotiating through the holidays, and for the most part it's not a bad thing if it's quiet unless it drags on too long.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Dave Martinez over at Empire of Soccer calls out MLS & NYCFC for blatantly lying to us.

So let me get this straight — the opinions of U.S. Men’s National Team coach Jurgen Klinsmann were so severe that Don Garber had to field an embarrassing impromptu press call to address the situation, but no one is coming forward to clarify this New York City FC Frank Lampard debacle?

If ever there was a time for Garber to demonstrate his promise of transparency, this is it.

We are now on the third day of Lampardgate, and all anyone can come up with is conjecture and secondary reporting to explain the entire mess. By now, it is almost an accepted fact that Lampard never had a contract with New York City FC. That, in turn, means Lampard never had a contract with Major League Soccer. That means both NYCFC and MLS have lied to us.

I wonder if Garber can survive this.

Add Jordan Morris, Abu Danladi and Leo Stolz to the list of young players being put off joining MLS by low contract offers. Leo Stolz got offered half what he was offered to appear in last years draft and has flown out to Germany to look for a club there instead.

Confirmation from SI: U.S. forward Jordan Morris rejects Sounders' offer to return to StanfordSeems very shortsighted by the league.

ugh this league is a serious joke.

Fuck Garber, fuck MLS. Things need to change. This is not at all ok, and the fact that it came out from Garber's pet project in NYC is really damning.

Nesotenso

I don't see what possible benefit could come out of going back for your junior year in college. Hope he seriously considers going abroad if he gets the shot.

kIdMuScLe

This single entity league is really holding MLS back. I hate that they present themselves as a independent team owners when in fact they are not. They should let the teams own the player's contracts and raised the salary cap because it is a joke. You can't make a career playing professional sports making $40,000 a year. Truly pathetic.

xbhaskarx

What the hell are they doing... Why would they low ball top talents, are they trying to make their draft irrelevant?
I wonder if this is connected to the uncertainty of the CBA negotiations somehow...

xbhaskarx

Not only does it seem like a terrible idea in general, but as a Quakes fan I'm super annoyed that it's happening the year we have the fourth pick.
If Danladi, Yaro, and Roldan stay in school, and Larin and Stolz go to Europe, might as well just cancel the draft altogether...

Askani

"The best soccer players of all time from every state in America"

TopDrawerSoccer said:
The best soccer players ever from every state? A mammoth undertaking, so let’s dive in, shall we?

This encapsulates the whole shebang: full career, ability, accomplishments – and we’re throwing men’s and women’s into the same pot (madness!). We’re taking both on their own merits in their own realms of influence, of course. It takes a well-rounded soccer player to make the cut, though some states are admittedly more hotly contested than others.

Alabama
Mia Hamm: No questioning or introduction needed on this one. Hamm’s career at North Carolina is still unmatched in a variety of ways, and she was the original American soccer icon. Hamm was an army brat and spent time in a lot of different places, so we’re going with her birth state here. No apologies.

California
Landon Donovan: Picking California? Good luck. The majority of U.S. Soccer’s Best XI (both men’s and women’s) hail from the Golden State, so arguments abound. But Donovan’s impact on American soccer may be unmatched in the men’s game in this country. As is, he could well be the best men’s player we’ve ever produced as a country.

Florida
Jozy Altidore: Florida surprisingly doesn’t have as great a history prodding its own to great soccer heights as you might suspect, though players like Alejandro Bedoya and Eddie Johnson do call it home. But nobody’s done more at a younger age in USMNT history than Altidore, who’s had two World Cups under his belt before his 25th birthday.

Michigan
Alexi Lalas: Known in the 90′s as the rocker dude with the wild ginger hair and goatee, Lalas backed the image by quickly becoming one of the best defenders in American history. He became the first American to play in Serie A in 1994 and finished with nine goals from the back in a U.S. shirt.

Texas
Clint Dempsey: This one’s no contest, though Texas has a fine (albeit recent) history producing very good soccer players. Dempsey is up with Tab Ramos as perhaps the most technically able USMNT player in history.

Full article at link:http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the9...cer-players-ever-from-every-state-in-america/

Cystm

Putting another team in nyc was always a terrible decision

Yankee stadium is going to look like Marlins park next year

It's not going to be there. Also, having an NYC derby is a good thing, or atleast it would be if NYCFC did not outright lie to people about their acquisition of Lampard and taint the fucking club from the starting line. Maybe there is more to it than we know, but no one is talking.

It's not going to be there. Also, having an NYC derby is a good thing, or atleast it would be if NYCFC did not outright lie to people about their acquisition of Lampard and taint the fucking club from the starting line. Maybe there is more to it than we know, but no one is talking.

What do you mean it's not going to be there? They're not playing at Yankee stadium anymore?

NYFC is essentially a team pulled from the original NASL

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

No it is going to be at Yankee Stadium for the first few years. They have nowhere else to play right now. At least until their stadium is finished. They haven't even made it to the starting line yet.

Cystm

iboP0IY6VZKBZ6.gif

Scoops from Goff:
D.C. United's Bill Hamid, Perry Kitchen, Steve Birnbaum on prelim list for #usmnt camp, which opens Jan 12 in Carson #dcu #mls

#USMNT's @BillHamid28 drawing interest from Italian & English clubs. #dcu #mls

Barring complications -- and there r always complications -- looks like Steven Gerrard would land with Galaxy for $6mil+ per season

Confirmation:

Why be super cheap with up and coming talent that can grow along with the league, referring to the draft, but then allow this much to be spent on basically a rental of someone past their prime? I understand they want to put people in the seats and eyes on the TV but I would like to see some balance. Isn't the league crying broke at the moment? I don't expect it to happen in this current CBA negotiation but there will be some major changes in the next I am sure.

Arials

Why be super cheap with up and coming talent ...then allow this much to be spent on basically a rental of someone past their prime?

But the league only pay the first $387,500 of the wages for a DP player, and half that if they join in the middle of a season. The vast majority of this cost is being taken up by LA Galaxy, so in a way the league does get these big name DPs on the cheap.

I'm sure LA Galaxy (or Orlando or NYCFC or whoever) would be happy to offer someone from college who rejected the low ball draft terms from the league a better mid ranking contract, but I think the various anti free agency/single entity rules stop them doing that.

Galarcep said:
UCLA freshman Abu Danladi informed school today he's returning to school, won't turn pro. Was No. 2 rated player on SBI MLS Draft Board #MLS

UCLA coach Jorge Salcedo confirmed Danladi decision to me. MLS miss another top GA target. Could be good news for Syracuse GK Alex Bono
:/

Draft is dead.

MLS is low balling the people it needs in the league

Garber and NYCFCFCFFCCCFC fucked up a lot.

#GarberOut
#EndSingleEntity

also i wonder if Gerrard always wanted to play in LA or if it's another one of those times when LA or Seattle get all the good stuff because #justgarberthings

xbhaskarx

Liverpool will reportedly sign USA U-18 Brooks Lennon

One of the United States' best U-18 players looks set to join Liverpool. According to the Daily Mail, Brooks Lennon is all set to sign with the club, but he needs clearance from the Home Office before he can do so because he does not have a work permit. The Reds are apparently hopeful that he will be allowed to sign.

Lennon has been on Liverpool's radar for more than a year. He trained with them in Liverpool on multiple occasions and joined them for their preseason tour in the U.S. By the end of 2014, there were rumors that the Reds would try to sign him in January and it looks like that is happening now.

The 17-year-old Arizona native is a speedy winger who was one of the more highly regarded players on the U.S. U-17 team and has remained a part of the national team set-up with the U-18s. He is part of Real Salt Lake's Arizona academy so he could be signed by the MLS club, but that has not looked especially likely for a while.

Liverpool are hardly the only European team to show interest in the American. Aston Villa were linked to him, as were Sporting Lisbon, but he's been pegged for Merseyside since the beginning of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom