• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Union also looking to loan Andre Blake. Finally an end to the goalkeeper saga....

get blake off the bench and get work. once M'Bolhi is done Blake is our guy so get him work.

- Noah Davis interview with Alejandro Bedoya for Grantland
Alejandro Bedoya sounds tired. The previous afternoon, the 27-year-old Englewood, New Jersey, native played 120 minutes in FC Nantes’s comeback victory over Metz in France’s Coupe de la Ligue — one of those “typical crazy Cup games,” he tells me via Skype. He’s been starting consistently for his club squad, scoring lasers against Paris Saint-Germain and earning player of the month honors, while also solidifying a starting (and starring) role with the United States men’s national team. The Americans didn’t win any of their final four friendlies in 2014, but Bedoya’s continually improving play was one of the few bright spots for Jürgen Klinsmann’s evolving side.

In other words, the dude has been busy. At a time when many Americans are returning from Europe to play in Major League Soccer, drawing the ire of Klinsmann for doing so, Bedoya has taken a different path.

xbhaskarx

U-20s start playing on Friday...

USA’s Group A Schedule:

Friday, Jan. 9: Guatemala, 5:30 p.m. ET
Sunday, Jan. 11: Panama, 5:30 p.m. ET
Wednesday, Jan. 14: Aruba, 5:30 p.m. ET
Sunday, Jan. 18: Jamaica, 8 p.m. ET
Wednesday, Jan. 21: Trinidad & Tobago, 5:30 p.m. ET

B6oBcQqCYAIgFIV.jpg

Like five of these kids have identical haircuts...

Meier

Thought this thread would appreciate this. Two of my mom's friends, Jim and Ken (with hat) got married today in front of City Hall in Orlando and she was there to to take a bunch of photos. Jim and Ken lived together for 41 years and were finally able to marry today.

They were interviewed by a few TV channels. Orlando City representing! Ken wore the hat as a thanks to the mayor, Buddy Dyer, since he organized the mass marrying today. He was a big driving force in the stadium getting approved.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

What the fuck is even going on with this team?! He was coach for two years and got us the Supporter's Shield and to within a single goal of the MLS Cup final in that time. Red Bull must be trying to sell the team or something, they've made no signings and now we're out the only coach who won us anything.

MOTHER FUCKER

WqHBtED.gif

What do they even need him for!! Red Bull must be trying to sink this team, that's the only explanation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
what the fuck how. why. Petke wasn't even on the hotseat or anything was he?

I don't see how he was. We didn't have the best regular season but we blew away a lot of old demons and had a great post season. We were within one goal of the final and he was talking about wanting to build something in the next few seasons, so I have no idea where this is even coming from. This combined with letting NYCFC sign Mix and our general lack of signings in the off-season has me deeply confused.

I don't see how he was. We didn't have the best regular season but we blew away a lot of old demons and had a great post season. We were within one goal of the final and he was talking about wanting to build something in the next few seasons, so I have no idea where this is even coming from. This combined with letting NYCFC sign Mix and our general lack of signings in the off-season has me deeply confused.

For real tho. Supporter's Shield and Conference finals in 2 years and he's up and fired. Something stinks and it aint the rivers.

fuck i'd be in open revolt about this. goddamn.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For real tho. Supporter's Shield and Conference finals in 2 years and he's up and fired. Something stinks and it aint the rivers.

Are there any legendary coaches coming off contract? Outside of that I can only think that Red Bull is trying to sink the team so they can move them to Alaska, like in Major League. If that's the plan they'd have to get rid of Petke, given a year or two he could have had us winning MLS Cup and that'd ruin everything.

There's something going on here we're not seeing. There has to be. This makes no sense otherwise.

Are there any legendary coaches coming off contract? Outside of that I can only think that Red Bull is trying to sink the team so they can move them to Alaska, like in Major League. If that's the plan they'd have to get rid of Petke, given a year or two he could have had us winning MLS Cup and that'd ruin everything.

There's something going on here we're not seeing. There has to be. This makes no sense otherwise.

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 35m35 minutes ago
Had heard Petke might be on thin ice due to conflicts with RBNY upper management, but seeing him go is still a shocker if it’s true.

but still really shitty thing to do. like you probably won't find someone good enough like Petke

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
but still really shitty thing to do. like you probably won't find someone good enough like Petke

I wonder what conflicts they could possibly be having that would result in them tossing out a coach that brought them two of the most successful seasons they had.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
WHAT A FUCKING AMAZING RESPONSE TO THE NYCFC FIASCO, AUSTRIA. WOW.

To wake up to this news is fucking mind boggling. I thought my friend was fucking with me when I woke up to his text.

Osorio

Petke was on the hot seat in the middle of last season even after winning the first trophy in franchise history the season prior.

This news sucks but it's not shocking to me in the slightest. Everything indicates Red Bull is ready to let go of all assets and begin their selling process.

Osorio

Well the Red Bulls had a run

Anyone surprised at this news doesn't know their history

Look at dat coaches list

Head coaches
Italy Eddie Firmani (1996)
Portugal Carlos Queiroz (July 1, 1996–Dec 31, 1996)
Brazil Carlos Alberto Parreira (Jan 1, 1997–Dec 31, 1997)
Spain Alfonso Mondelo (1998)
Serbia Bora Milutinović (Sept 1998–Oct 99)
Ecuador Octavio Zambrano (Jan 1, 2000–Oct 8, 2002)
United States Bob Bradley (Oct 21, 2002–Oct 4, 2005)
Scotland Mo Johnston (Feb 1, 2005–June 27, 2006)
United States Richie Williams (Interim) (June 28, 2006–Aug 12, 2006)
United States Bruce Arena (July 18, 2006–Nov 5, 2007)
Colombia Juan Carlos Osorio (Dec 18, 2007–Aug 21, 2009)
United States Richie Williams (Interim) (Aug 21, 2009–Jan 7, 2010)
Sweden Hans Backe (Jan 7, 2010–Dec 31, 2012)
United States Mike Petke (Jan 24, 2013–Jan 6, 2015)

I wonder what conflicts they could possibly be having that would result in them tossing out a coach that brought them two of the most successful seasons they had.

Their lack of doing anything in the transfer market, knowing Henry was leaving? Who knows.

I'm not believing it until it's official. Doesn't make any sense.

Askani

Making room for Henry to come back and coach*.

* Won't coach on turf fields.

But seriously, that's shocking and unexpected news.

Osorio

Their lack of doing anything in the transfer market, knowing Henry was leaving? Who knows.

I'm not believing it until it's official. Doesn't make any sense.

Franco Panizo ‏@FrancoPanizo 3m3 minutes ago
Timing of firing makes me think #RBNY has another coach lined up. Combine is two days away. Can't go in it with no HC, assistant, novice SD.

There hasn't been a denial either. Petke's last tweet was our days ago as well.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Franco Panizo ‏@FrancoPanizo 3m3 minutes ago
Timing of firing makes me think #RBNY has another coach lined up. Combine is two days away. Can't go in it with no HC, assistant, novice SD.

That's mistake numero uno when it comes to this franchise. Don't try to understand the stupidity, it will just make your head hurt.

Osorio

I'm just sitting here thinking about whether I should call my rep and cancel my season tickets or not.

Well Fraser leaving makes sense now. I'm still having trouble accepting this.

Cancelling would make a statement, and I'd expect they're getting a good volume of calls from this.

Too bad I already made mine. I told my rep I wasn't getting tickets until Red Bull sells in like October.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Cancelling would make a statement, and I'd expect they're getting a good volume of calls from this.

Too bad I already made mine. I told my rep I wasn't getting tickets until Red Bull sells in like October.

Damn, I should have seen the writing on the wall. Why is New York City cursed when it comes to having a decent soccer club? One has shitty ownership (At least we have a SSS?), the other is a farm team, and the third plays in the 2nd tier of American soccer and is in Bumblefuck, Long Island. FUUUUUUCK.

Osorio

Damn, I should have seen the writing on the wall. Why is New York City cursed when it comes to having a decent soccer club? One has shitty ownership (At least we have a SSS?), the other is a farm team, and the third plays in the 2nd tier of American soccer and is in Bumblefuck, Long Island. FUUUUUUCK.

I've come to the conclusion that we are the capital of modern football. All people see here in soccer is $$$$$$$$$ and foreign investors will jump at the chance to be a part of it. It's a precocious investment, but I think those investors are unaware that people here aren't willing (I hope) to put up with this shit.

This changes nothing for me. Petke or no Petke I have my red and black flags and banners made, and I was only going to buy tickets on Stubhub. Not a cent will go to Red Bull until they sell.

Osorio

LOL

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/sources-marsch-coach-31278/

Sources tell EOS former Montreal Impact boss and Chicago Fire player Jesse Marsch will be announced as the Red Bulls’ coach Wednesday afternoon.

They bring in Marsch, who led the Impact to 12-16-6 record in 2012. Prior to that stint, the former Chivas USA player spent three years as an assistant with the U.S. Men’s National Team program.

Like Curtis, Marsch most recently plied his trade in the MLS offices, lending his voice in their media operations department. His presence gives Curtis an immediate ally on the touchline and ownership over the team’s new found direction.

For Petke, it is the end of a successful two-year reign at the Red Bulls touchline which saw the club win their first trophy in 2013, the Supporters’ Shield. He also broke ground in 2014, leading the club to their first Conference Final Appearance since their 2008 showdown against Real Salt Lake.

Petke departs New York with a 30-19-19 record. EOS can also confirm that his assistant, Robin Fraser, will also be joining the staff of Toronto FC, completing a total makeover of the team’s sporting department.

Askani

Grantland.com said:
So, Uh, What the Hell Happened to Tim Howard?

Hey, remember Tim Howard? Just six months ago, he was the toast of America, the guy standing on his head at the World Cup, making save after save, becoming the Secretary of Defense, and being the only thing between the U.S. going home against Belgium … and the U.S. going home half an hour later against Belgium. Howard briefly became a household name, and based on his performance in Brazil, he seemed like the surefire best American player alive and one of the top keepers in the world.

After declaring a year-long hiatus from the national team to focus on club play, Howard has … well, he hasn’t been very good. Maybe there’s a reason none of those #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave memes included “shots from Everton’s opponents.”

More at link: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tim-howard-usmnt-everton-roberto-martinez/

I think Marsch is potentially a very good coach if he's in a situation where management supports him (or at the very least is on the same page as him), but that wasn't the case in Montreal and that won't happen in NY.

Esch

Banned
I don't know but it's pretty funny to anyone not from New York. Just like the jets, knicks and nets.

CdofvF1.png

- Galaxy confirm the Gerrard signing
The LA Galaxy have signed English midfielder Steven Gerrard as a Designated Player, the club announced Wednesday. Gerrard is scheduled to join the Galaxy’s roster during Major League’s Soccer summer transfer window in July following Liverpool’s season in England’s Barclays Premier League, pending receipt of his P-1 visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). Per League and club policy, specific terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Askani

Ooof...

@petkemike @petkemike · Dec 2
My 10 year old put this blanket on his bed and told me "let's get ready for next year Dad". Priceless. #greatattitude

duraxAW.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom