• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

I don't know but it's pretty funny to anyone not from New York. Just like the jets, knicks and nets.

CdofvF1.png

How can you forget my beloved Mets?

Osorio

Ali Curtis conference call so far:

Marsch: Great opportunity from club and technical perspective. Fortunate to be head coach of this team, in this city. Crossed paths with Curtis previously but never worked under him previously. Respects his approach.

Similarities with Curtis in how club should move forward. Says Curtis "wants to run the club the 'right' way" and is brave to make difficult decision.

Will draw on his playing experience, though a young coach has been in the league for 14 years, coached at every level is the game.

"This is an energy drink" - he actually just said that. Red Bull wants a more uptempo game, more integration of young players. Not here to make sweeping changes.

Osorio

Marsch: Want to speak to fans: I've always enjoyed my relationship with the fans, going back to Section 8 the supporters were personal friends. Chivas fans treated him like family. Montreal embraced him and his family.

Soccer fan at his core, passionate about this league, club. Committed to connecting with the fans, getting them to know who he is and his family.

Curtis: My decision to get rid of Mike, I own it. Decision is less about Mike than it is about bringing in Marsch.

Curtis has balls, that's for sure.

Osorio

Dyer: Why make decision to get rid of coach with strong track record?

Curtis: Decision not about dumping Petke, about bringing in Marsch. Embodies where the club is headed moving forward. We appreciate Mike's service to the club, but this is a decision that needs to be made.

Dyer: Fallout from fanbase?

Curtis: Can't answer that question right now. Believe community, fans, and players will embrace this decision. Right decision for club.

Osorio

Marsch is already sounding like corporate shill.

Perhaps Red Bull thought Petke being there brought more dissent from the anti-Red Bull crowd?

- Carlisle on ESPNFC: MLS confident new CBA will be done in time for March 6 season start

The big issues, as always:

Salaries:
In terms of the salary issue, the MLSPU’s primary aim is to raise salaries for those at the lower and middle areas of the pay scale. When the first round of 2014 salary figures was released by the MLSPU last April, the average salary was $207,831, but the mean was $91,827.

The salary issue is one where there can be considerable give and take however, and it seems likely some sort of middle ground will ultimately be reached. It is free agency that will ultimately determine whether there is a work stoppage or not.

At present both sides are sticking to their respective starting positions on the issue of player movement. Abbott contends the league needs cost certainty, a curious statement when one considers that the salary cap — as flexible as it is sometimes with the shenanigans occasionally surrounding Designated Players — would appear to do plenty to keep costs under control.
Free agency:
“MLS is built on those players who have earned their way through the league,” said Dunivant. “Free agency takes the onus off paying players who are not proven and who are not a sure commodity in this league. That’s the system now, to squeeze the player that has done well in the league so that you can go and spend that money on new resources on say 10 players and hope three work out. We don’t think that’s a good model going forward.”

Osorio

Martinez: Calls Marsch out for energy drink line tactfully, how exactly do you make a soccer team into a can of Red Bull?

Marsch: We have to be organized, have to work tactically how we defend and move forward. Incorporating players that are good on the move is important in the modern game. Wants team to be explosive and aggressive, on the move both with and without the ball. Wants to suffocate other teams with movement.

Martinez: Do you know what staff will look like?

Marsch: Good idea, but takes time. Evaluating remaining in-house staff as well.

Martinez: Where do you begin this close to the draft?

Marsch: Look for positional needs at draft, as well as best players out there. Need to improve at CB, will look there. Rookie CBs aren't easy to integrate into team, but interested.

Osorio

Fucking hell, this is Major League isn't it? They want to move the team and sell it. They're gonna wind up in Atlanta or Vegas aren't they...

Yep. Then NYC is going to annex Hudson County as a 6th borough of New York, then NYCFC will play at RBA

Osorio

With Mr. Marsch at the helm, we might revert back to a two forward system, making Jozy a little more plausible to come back than before.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So we lost Petke but Jozy might be coming back? I thought he was going to France or Germany? This day makes no sense.

xbhaskarx

That said, I'm not sure how Altidore would fit in with NYRB considering they already have BWP and Cahill. Or with Portland since they have Adi, Urruti and Fernandez. In Toronto he'd be a good replacement for Defoe, though.

To replace Henry NYRB should go after Xavi again, now that things are such a mess in Barcelona...

Osorio

That said, I'm not sure how Altidore would fit in with NYRB considering they already have BWP and Cahill. Or with Portland since they have Adi, Urruti and Fernandez. In Toronto he'd be a good replacement for Defoe, though.

To replace Henry NYRB should go after Xavi again, now that things are such a mess in Barcelona...

Put Cahill as the 10 role or buy out his contract.

I'd love Xavi more than Jozy without a doubt.

xbhaskarx

Yeah if get rid of Cahill and have Altidore as their Cahill replacement and Xavi as their Henry replacement that would make sense. All three (buying out Cahill, adding Jozy and Xavi) seems like a bit much, though.

I also wonder if any MLS teams are trying to lure Wesley Sneijder over here...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'm surprised the Revs aren't in on this, if they picked up Altidore and he performed they'd sail to MLS Cup.

ZZMitch

Looks like Red Bulls wanted to piss their fans off really bad by doing nothing except for firing their coach for the first month of the offseason. Then bring them all back by making a bunch of big signings at once... weird :p

In regards to where Jozy actually goes though, if the Revs don't go after him I would like to see him in Toronto. Seems like a pretty good fit and he would be playing with Bradley.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If they don't go after Altidore they still certainly need to pick up a DP-level forward somewhere else...

If we get Jozy then we'll probably drop Cahill, he'd be a great get for the Revs. He's performed well every time we put him in as a forward. He just doesn't fit in with the team right now.

On another note, Mike Lewis is reporting that Red Bull is looking to sell the team and if an offer over $220 million came in the deal would be done quick. Whal reported the same thing a few months ago. Shit, if I were running the supporter's groups I'd be trying to figure out if we could get the money together.

Osorio

I dunno what to think anymore

But for sure I don't want to be the Red Bulls

I want Jozy back

Kljestan would be a great move

Askani

OrlandoSentinel.com said:
One thing we learned with the release of Orlando City’s 2015 Major League Soccer schedule is that the Lions will be given quite the platform.

Orlando City will play 16 games on national television – one game shy of half of the team’s entire schedule. We wanted to see how that stacked up to the rest of the league.

Here is how the national (U.S.) games breakdown:
16 – Orlando City, New York Red Bulls
15 – San Jose Earthquakes
14 – New York City FC
13 – Chicago Fire, FC Dallas, LA Galaxy
12 – Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders
11 – Houston Dynamo
10 – D.C. United, Sporting Kansas City
9 – Philadelphia Union
8 – New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake
7 – Colorado Rapids
5 – Toronto FC
3 – Columbus Crew
0 – Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps​
Here is how those games break down, by each channel:

ESPN
1 – LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders​
ESPN2
6 – Portland Timbers
5 – New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, NYCFC, Orlando City
4 – D.C. United, LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders
3 – Chicago Fire, Philadelphia Union, San Jose Earthquakes, Sporting Kansas City, Toronto FC
2 – Houston Dynamo,
1 – Columbus Crew, FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake​
ESPN News
1 – Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake​
Fox Sports 1
6 – New York Red Bulls, Orlando City, Seattle Sounders
5 – New York City FC, Philadelphia Union
4 – LA Galaxy, Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, Sporting Kansas City
3 – Chicago Fire, D.C. United, FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake
2 – New England Revolution, Toronto FC
1 – Columbus Crew, Houston Dynamo​
Fox Sports 2
1 – Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake​
UniMas
6 – FC Dallas, San Jose Earthquakes
5 – Houston Dynamo
4 – New York Red Bulls, Orlando City
3 – Chicago Fire, Colorado Rapids, D.C. United, LA Galaxy, Sporting Kansas City
2 – New York City FC, Portland Timbers
1 – Philadelphia Union, Real Salt Lake, Seattle Sounders​
UDN
4 – Chicago Fire
3 – FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo
2 – Colorado Rapids, New York City FC, San Jose Earthquakes
1 – Columbus Crew, LA Galaxy, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, Orlando City, Real Salt Lake​

Link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-2015-schedule-national-tv-20150107-post.html

If Miami fails, would Beckham buy us instead?

you know funnily enough when the whole Lampard thing broke I was going to make a post in here saying fuck MCFC and that MLS should just let Beckham have the team since he'll probably give an actual shit about it and not use it as a way to circumvent fair play rules. Red Bulls now are added to the list of teams Beckham should be able to buy.

obviously Garber would never let it happen but it would be nice to have a NY team that has an ownership group that gives a shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom