• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

...the Earthquakes have 15?

So the other teams playing in those games can pick up easy wins?

I'm sure it's the new stadium thing but still, the front office better start making some moves ASAP. Today has just been one news story after another, and yet there aren't even reports of the Earthquakes adding anyone... maybe they think the new stadium is enough to give them a bump, despite finishing last season winless over the final sixteen games.

Next time any fan of NYCFC or NYRB wants to complain about anything, first take a look at San Jose and Colorado.

So the other teams playing in those games can pick up easy wins?

I'm sure it's the new stadium thing but still, the front office better start making some moves ASAP. Today has just been one news story after another, and yet there aren't even reports of the Earthquakes adding anyone... maybe they think the new stadium is enough to give them a bump, despite finishing last season winless over the final sixteen games.
I went through the roster position-by-position with a friend yesterday, and it's looking bleak. There are a few decent components here and there, but a lot of help is needed to field a competitive team next year. It's annoying seeing other teams moving convincingly to improve themselves while the Quake sit on their hands.

xbhaskarx

Every player they've added so far has been from within the league. Some are decent moves but guys off the scrap heap aren't going to be nearly enough. Also I'm not sure many of those guys have even been signed yet (eg Barrera, Wynne, Nyassi)...

ZZMitch

Arg expanding the playoffs to 12 teams is so dumb. I can't believe they think fans actually want that. 10 is a good number no matter how large the league gets.

Meier

With many coach firings, there's an element who are disappointed and many who are pleased. Seems like this one is pretty lopsided in the one direction but obviously my sample size is small. Hopefully this new guy works out for y'all.

xbhaskarx

Arg expanding the playoffs to 12 teams is so dumb. I can't believe they think fans actually want that. 10 is a good number no matter how large the league gets.

Nah, it should depend on the number of teams. But expanding it to 12 now was unnecessary, they should have waited until 24. It can't be that far away with LA and Atlanta joining in 2017 and Sacramento, Minnesota, Vegas, Miami, San Antonio, etc. all on the doorstep.

I think 12 will actually be better than 10, because there will be some benefit to being a higher seed, however minor. With 10, seeds 2-3-4 are practically the same. Now there will be a big dropoff from 2 to 3-4.

Nah, it should depend on the number of teams. But expanding it to 12 now was unnecessary, they should have waited until 24. It can't be that far away with LA and Atlanta joining in 2017 and Sacramento, Minnesota, Vegas, Miami, San Antonio, etc. all on the doorstep.

I think 12 will actually be better than 10, because there will be some benefit to being a higher seed, however minor. With 10, seeds 2-3-4 are practically the same. Now there will be a big dropoff from 2 to 3-4.

But see, if they didn't expand to 12 now, people would complain even more when they expand to 16 when those teams come in.

Stupid MLS, Playoffs should have been capped at 8
actually zero

Askani

Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled mass of strikers yearning to try to score goals, the wretched refuse of your teeming rosters. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to us, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

hereisthecity.com said:
Tottenham Hotspur offering outcast Emmanuel Adebayor to MLS clubs

This week has seen Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard agree a move to join LA Galaxy at the end of the season. The former England captain will leave Liverpool after a life-long association with the club and many a fan will probably shed a tear when he heads off to The States.

The same cannot be said about a Tottenham player now being offered around the MLS big-boys.

Tottenham Hotspur are desperate to get rid of Emmanuel Adebayor. The Togo striker has recently been nothing but trouble for the club and is no longer considered a member of the first-team squad.

His contract expires at the end of the season and Tottenham would like him gone six months earlier, so are said to be offering him around to MLS teams for a move this month.

The likes of Toronto FC and New York Red Bulls are looking for new big name designated players after the expected departure of Jermain Defoe and the retirement of Thierry Henry.

Tottenham hope that they will be tempted into taking Adebayor, possibly on loan, until his deal expires in the summer when they can bring him on a pre-arranged Bosman transfer.

Adebayor is however commanding a vast sum of money and it is not known of the teams Tottenham have contacted will in fact have the wealth available to them in order to complete a deal for Adebayor.

Link: http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015...fering-outcast-emmanuel-adebayor-to-mls-club/

"Manchester City have ‘no agreement with New York’ over Frank Lampard"

Link: http://www.theguardian.com/football...ue-response-new-york-city-fc?CMP=share_btn_tw

TjJcadK.jpg

Mully

NYCFC should let Lampard and Man City do whatever it wants and move on. It's really embarrassing how they're handling this.

Askani

prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com said:
How much did FIFA pay MLS clubs for having players at 2014 World Cup?

Following the 2014 World Cup, teams across the globe have been handed out compensation by FIFA for allowing their players to take part in the tournament.

FIFA set aside $70 million to compensate clubs, as German Champions Bayern Munich led the way by earning $1,734,367 million, while Real Madrid earned $1,297,800 and Chelsea received $1,253,233 million in compensation.

According to the European Club Association (ECA), FIFA paid $2,800 for each day players were on official national team duty for the World Cup. That sum was shared between clubs that the player had been registered for in the two years leading up to the World Cup. The ECA says 396 clubs from 57 countries got FIFA payments, which ranged from Bayern’s $1,734,367 million to a paltry $6,300 picked up by Ipswich Town. Still, every little helps.

16 teams from Major League Soccer have also been compensated by world soccer’s governing body, with the San Jose Earthquakes making out like champs as they earned $260,400 from having the likes of Chris Wondolowski and Victor Bernandez suiting up in Brazil. Sporting Kansas City and the New York Red Bulls were the other teams to make plenty of cash (over $200,000 each) from their stars heading to Brazil, as the full list of how much MLS clubs earned can be found below.

Premier League sides Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal were all paid over $1 million in compensation, while Spanish giants Barcelona and reigning Italian Champions Juventus also bagged a seven-figure sum. Here’s a link to the full list of compensation made to clubs by FIFA. Here’s a quick note: should MLS clubs have been paid more for losing their players in the middle of the 2014 season? Just a thought.

Total compensation ($) for MLS clubs
San Jose Earthquakes – $260,400
Sporting Kansas City – $209,533
New York Red Bulls – $200,200
Real Salt Lake – $196,000
Houston Dynamo – $179,200
Seattle Sounders FC – $165,900
CD Chivas USA – $108,267
Columbus Crew – $100,100
Los Angeles Galaxy – $98,000
Toronto – $94,500
New England Revolution – $81,200
Vancouver – $40,600
Philadelphia Union – $17,733
Chicago Fire SC – $14,933
Colorado Rapids SC – $13,533
DC United – $13,533​

Link: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...at-2014-world-cup/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I'm gonna assume there will be a heavy East Coast bias due to South American time zones and because there usually is one anyway.

The top 4 teams of the Gold Cup qualify for this tournament correct?

I disagree.

The presence of Mexico alone guarantees Dallas, LA, SF and Houston, with a strong push for Phoenix. NYC is obvious as well due to the mix of people, as is Miami due to the huge presence of Latin Americans. Chicago also always gets in, and Boston has a huge Brazilian population.

South Americans are used to late kickoffs. While Americans cant bare the though of a sporting event going past evening tea time, the Libertadores cup has kickoff times at 9:55pm(local time).

xbhaskarx

Well of course. The Earthquakes don't get to play against the Earthquakes.

2015%20Strength%20of%20Schedule.png

But seriously, the difference is negligible aside from maybe the Revs. If this was based on 2015 projections instead of just 2014 results, it might mean something...
Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle won the Supporters Shield again. Unless New England adds a big time forward.

@GrantWahl said:
Premier League rep says Man City told PL there's no agreement in place between City or CFG with NYCFC relating to Lampard. (1/2)

Don Garber told me there is an agreement between CFG & Lampard that he'll sign MLS contract in July. Awaiting MLS response on dispute (2/2).

xbhaskarx

Although Lampard has another year left on his contract with CFG, he is yet to reveal what he intends to do in the summer – move to New York or stay at City for another season.

Lampard is signed to Man City for two years? How did six months become one year and then two years?

New York Red Bulls unwilling to meet Jozy Altidore's price, sources say

lololol

Kelly @KellyDavitt · 10m 10 minutes ago
(1/2) Re #Petke #petkegate, from a source: during a Tues night mtg there was a heated disagreement abt staffing involving academy employees

Kelly @KellyDavitt · 9m 9 minutes ago
(2/2) Not much got resolved. 0 mention/indication of #petke firing. Wed. morn., staff heard news through media. Just as shocked as fans.

Kelly @KellyDavitt · 4m 4 minutes ago
(3/2 since I failed to plan accordingly) academy apparently now has job openings. no one has been fired yet, murmurs of mass quitting exodus

@MLSTransfer guy retweeted it, not sure if accurate

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New York Red Bulls unwilling to meet Jozy Altidore's price, sources say

lololol

@MLSTransfer guy retweeted it, not sure if accurate

So Petke getting the boot was not only sprung on everyone, but now they can't even pony up to make the signing meant to curry favor with the fans? Thank god I didn't buy season tickets this year.

This team needs to be nuked from orbit. Beckham, please come and buy us! You'll like New York, I promise you will!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Alright, I need to find the number of a higher-up in their sales department. I don't want these fucking season tickets.

Jozy is asking for way too much, though.

Mully

Alright, I need to find the number of a higher-up in their sales department. I don't want these fucking season tickets.

Jozy is asking for way too much, though.

I was this close to buying season tickets. I've worked my ass off since Christmas Day to have enough cash for a new car and season tickets. I was actually going to buy them today before the fiasco that was yesterday.

What package did you buy? I might still get them just because of the people within the supporters section and Robles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom