• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

I was this close to buying season tickets. I've worked my ass off since Christmas Day to have enough cash for a new car and season tickets. I was actually going to buy them today before the fiasco that was yesterday.

What package did you buy? I might still get them just because of the people within the supporters section and Robles.

It's like 320 that you can pay over six months. 54 bucks a month man.

Not that I'm encouraging you to buy season tickets but it's fucking cheap.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I was this close to buying season tickets. I've worked my ass off since Christmas Day to have enough cash for a new car and season tickets. I was actually going to buy them today before the fiasco that was yesterday.

What package did you buy? I might still get them just because of the people within the supporters section and Robles.

I upgraded from one Yellow Membership tickets last season (In 133, corner flag) to 2 Red Membership tickets this season (In 101).

Yeah, if you had called when they started selling 2015 season tickets, they give you the option to pay it in monthly payments.

Mully

It's really cheap. I remember looking at Yankee premium game plans a few years back and that was something in the four digit area code for twenty games.

$330 is fucking cheap.

Never forget

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/07/24/welcome-new-york-city-frank-lampard

NYCFC announced today the signing of England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard.

New York City FC, Major League Soccer’s 20th expansion team, is thrilled to announce the signing of England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard. One of the most illustrious and respected English Premier League midfielders of all time, Lampard becomes the team’s fourth team member, as the Club continues to assemble a competitive and dynamic squad ahead of its inaugural season next year.

Lampard, whose signing was officially announced at a community event in Brooklyn Bridge Park this morning, brings with him the highest level of football ability and a wealth of experience to the new franchise which makes its debut in March 2015.

Lampard joins David Villa, Jeb Brovsky and Josh Saunders on the roster at the Club and has signed a two-year contract which starts August 1st. He will wear the number 8 jersey, the number he has worn throughout his decorated career in European football.

“I am really excited about joining New York City FC and helping to play a real part in building something special in one of the sporting capitals of the world,” said Lampard. “The passion of the nation’s fans at the World Cup was second to none and I am looking forward to meeting New Yorkers and tapping into their love of the game. It is a privilege to be able to help make history here in New York City - I just can’t wait to get started and be part of it.”

“It is going to be an exhilarating opportunity for us all to create this fantastic new MLS Club , in a league that is growing quickly in popularity and ability. Hopefully my experience can help us have an impact in my first season. I love a challenge and being competitive and I know everyone at New York City FC does too. I am sure we will make the city and our fans proud.”

The 36-year-old, who captained England in the World Cup in Brazil this summer, is a potent balance of power and poise and is accomplished in both attack and defense. A consummate professional, Lampard played in almost 600 EPL games, including an amazing 164 in succession. He is a three-time winner of the Premier League, has won four FA Cups and captained Chelsea to the club’s first Champions League win in 2012. Lampard was also his former clubs Charity Champion supporting various initiatives, including a scheme to encourage families to read more and improve the literacy of children.

An exceptional goal scorer, Lampard scored in excess of 200 goals for club and country, boasting the enviable accolade of being the Premier League’s highest scoring midfielder ever. A regular name in FIFA, UEFA and Premier League all-star squads, he was also nominated for FIFA World Player of the Year in 2005.
As part of New York City’s ongoing commitment to local communities within New York, immediately after his unveiling press conference Lampard took part in a soccer clinic with 40 local children from the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy program, run by coaches from the Play Study Win scheme.

Lampard will be working under New York City FC Head Coach Jason Kreis, who has been busy looking for players as the Club aims to build a competitive squad.
“I am really looking forward to working with Frank,” he said. “His leadership, maturity and experience are perfect characteristics for a new Club like ours. He is a rare talent, one that scores a lot of goals from midfield, yet is also a disciplined defender and someone who reads the game brilliantly. A gift for a coach.”

“Frank has a tremendous appetite for the game and that will be an enormous help not only to me and the coaching staff but also the rest of the players, particularly the younger ones who can look up to Frank and attempt to emulate his achievements. He has just come from the World Cup and still very much at the top of his game. His desire and work ethic will be infectious.”

Those words were echoed by NYCFC’s Sporting Director Claudio Reyna, himself a former midfield player in the English Premier League. He added:
“I am delighted Frank has joined us, he was an obvious choice. I have played against him many times and can vouch for his quality. Frank is one of the best midfielders to have played the modern game, a legend in England and hopefully he will become one here, too.”

Season tickets to see Frank Lampard and New York City FC’s inaugural season in MLS are on sale now. Call 855-77-NYCFC or visit www.nycfc.com/tickets to order online.

Fans can also purchase their exclusive Frank Lampard New York City FC shirt at nycfc.com/shop, limited supplies are available.
The signing of Lampard follows a sequence of announcements, asserting the intentions of the Club to build an exciting team for the city of New York.
After announcing the inception of the Club in Harlem in 2013, Jason Kreis was unveiled as Head Coach in midtown Manhattan, followed by news from the Bronx that NYCFC will play its inaugural seasons in MLS at the iconic Yankee stadium.

Transaction: New York City FC signs Frank Lampard to a Designated Player contract.

Notes for editors
Frank Lampard’s career highlights:
• Chelsea’s all-time leading goal scorer with 211 goals from 648 appearances.
• No midfield player has scored more goals in the history of the Premier League. Frank was also the first midfielder to score 20 league goals in a season.
• He has played 103 times for England, captaining the national team on numerous occasions. Frank first played for England in 1999 and has played at many major tournaments including Euro 2004 and the 2006, 2010 and 2014 World Cups.
• Lampard has won eleven major titles in his career, including three Premier League titles and four FA Cups as well as captaining Chelsea to their first Champions League win in 2012.

Play Study Win Scheme
The mission of Play Study Win is to encourage young people of all ages to develop a passion for soccer and other forms of physical activity that will lead to a healthy, active and confident lifestyle on and off the playground, and to stress the place of physical activity in a well-rounded and enlightened educational framework.
This announcement follows several major announcements from New York City FC in recent months, including the announcement of Yankee stadium as the Club’s first home, the unveiling of the team’s official badge, and the hiring of Jason Kreis as the team’s first Head Coach.

xbhaskarx

Looks like NYRB's second team will be the first to play in a soccer stadium within New York City, not NYCFC or the Cosmos...

Red Bulls will field USL Pro team in 2015, may play in New York City
The New York Red Bulls will field a USL Pro team in 2015 — and they may be playing ball in the Big Apple.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, the Red Bulls will make their USL Pro announcement in the coming days. There will be no affiliation. Instead, New York will have full control of operations and use the platform to offer Red Bull Academy standouts a career path through the organization.
A separate source tells us that may very well be Columbia University’s Baker Athletic Complex, located at the northern tip of Manhattan.

US Soccer said:
The Copa America Centenario USA 2016 venue selection process is underway. Final venues to be confirmed in the Spring http://t.co/2pWE2vgr8x

CymPjai.jpg
More info on the venues from US Soccer:
The deadline for venues to submit their proposal is March 16, 2015, and the winning cities will be announced in May. It is anticipated that between eight and 13 stadiums will be selected.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So the Red Bulls are going to host a town hall meeting regarding the recent changes:

We wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that our Sporting Director Ali Curtis, Head Coach Jesse Marsch and General Manager Marc de Grandpre will be available to discuss and answer any questions that you have about the team, and recent staffing changes, in a Town Hall setting at Red Bull Arena on Friday, January 16, at 7:30 PM.

Your passion and support for the team is very important to us, and we understand your reaction to the decisions made this week. We value your opinions and want to give you the chance to voice them, as well as ask the questions that you are looking to get answers to. This forum will provide you a chance to speak directly with Ali, Jesse and Marc. We truly appreciate your support, and we look forward to having an open conversation with you to discuss your concerns, while sharing more details about our vision for the club heading into our 20th season together.

The event will be open to 300 season ticket holders, one per account, on a first come first served basis. You will be able to RSVP to the event through a link coming out on Monday, January 12.

Sincerely,

New York Red Bulls

I might actually go to this:

drtJZax.gif

Osorio

What's there to discuss? At least, in a civilized manner?

We all know the platitudes that they're going to throw back at us.

U20 Qualifying kicks off today at 5:30pm ET with the US against Guatemala:

- FIFA.com with a preview and Tab Ramos interview

TV coverage is on Fox Sports 2 and Univision Deportes, iirc

Qualifying Format Change: The CONCACAF U-20 Championship format has changed for 2015 with two groups of six teams. Previous tournaments had featured four groups of three teams. Under the new setup, the first-place teams in Group A and Group B will automatically qualify for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup and advance to face each other in the CONCACAF U-20 Championship Final. The second- and third-place teams in each group (four teams) will be reseeded based on group-stage results. In this playoff stage, the top seed will play the No. 4 seed and the second seed will face the No. 3 seed. The two winners from these respective games will also qualify for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

U.S. U-20 MNT Roster by Position:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Ethan Horvath (Molde FK), Zack Steffen (SC Freiburg)
DEFENDERS (6): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur), Conor Donovan (N.C. State), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Shaquell Moore (Unattached), John Requejo (Club Tijuana), Tyler Turner (Orlando City)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Fernando Arce (Club Tijuana), Russell Canouse (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim), Junior Flores (Borussia Dortmund), Romain Gall (Columbus Crew), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham)
FORWARDS (5): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Bradford Jamieson IV (LA Galaxy), Amando Moreno (Club Tijuana), Ben Spencer (Molde FK), Tommy Thompson (San Jose Earthquakes)

wait Jozy is asking for 5-6 million? lol

Joke demand. And MLS deserves to get fleeced if they cave to it.

For reference, Mario Mandzukic made 5 million euros at Bayern Munich, which, given the current exchange rate, tops out at around $6m or so.

Jozy Altidore is no Mario Mandzukic. Not even close.

- Galarcep at Goal.com: U.S. U-20 star Hyndman drawing interest from major European clubs after breakout year
Hyndman’s rapid ascent and long-standing place as a top youth prospect in England has led to growing attention from foreign clubs interested in his services. Sources tell Goal USA that multiple clubs in the Spanish first division, including Elche, made transfer bids for Hyndman last August, and even Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund expressed interest. There is also interest from the Eredivisie.

“I’m getting some time with Fulham and I’ve been linked with a few other clubs,” Hyndman said. “It’s been really exciting to hear some of the clubs I’ve been linked to, but I have a year and a half left on my contract so anything can happen. Right now I’m concentrating on Fulham and playing with the U.S.”

Random notes:
@SoccerInsider said:
#USMNT roster for camp & friendlies coming out today. @BillHamid28 late scratch with minor shoulder injury, ok for #dcu camp in late Jan
@GrantWahl said:
Just learned that Kaká and Orlando City will play on artificial turf in MLS this season at the Citrus Bowl. Yuck.

Osorio

For reference, Mario Mandzukic made 5 million euros at Bayern Munich, which, given the current exchange rate, tops out at around $6m or so.

To be fair, Michael Bradley is not mandzukic either but he makes 6.5 mil

Mls requires larger sums to attract talent

Not saying jozy is being reasonable though

Meier

Keep in mind that German salaries are reported net rather than gross, so roughly double that is what Mandzu was actually paid at Bayern. But the point still stands -- Jozy doesn't have that cache right now. Bradley was playing for a Champions League calibre team whereas Jozy is on a low level team and not playing often and when he does, not playing well.

At the high end, $3-4m is probably more in line with what he should receive.

- Klinsmann Calls 28 Players for First Training Camp of 2015
@ussoccer said:
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (unattached), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (out of contract), Dennis Flores (Club Leon), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Marc Pelosi (Liverpool), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (6): Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julio Morales (Tepic), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

daoster

#USMNT Roster Forwards: Akindele, Dempsey, Morales, Wondolowski, Wood, Zardes

#USMNT Roster Midfielders: Bradley, Diskerud, Flores, Gil, Ibarra, Nguyen, Pelosi, Serna, Shea, Trapp

#USMNT Roster Defenders: Besler, Birnbaum, Dean, Evans, Jones, Kitchen, O’Neill, Sorto

#USMNT Training Camp Roster Goalkeepers: Alex Bono, Sean Johnson, Jon Kempin, Nick Rimando

xbhaskarx

What do guys like Matt Hedges, Luis Silva, Dillon Powers etc. need to do to get called into January camp?

More Wondo? Brad Evans?? What a waste.

I can't think of the last time that a player was called in that whose name I'd never heard before, but I have no idea who Julio Morales (Tepic) is...
Guys from Mexico are getting called into January camp now? Ventura Alvarado from Club America said he'd accept a call up, where is he?

I can't think of the last time that a player was called in that whose name I'd never heard before, but I have no idea who Julio Morales is...
San Jose raised kid that's on Chivas' roster right now. Olympic eligible.
Guys from Mexico are getting called into January camp now? Ventura Alvarado from Club America said he'd accept a call up, where is he?
I thought he might sneak onto the roster. Too bad.

xbhaskarx

The Clausura stars tonight.

Would that have something to do with him not being called up?

Well yeah sure. But that's why guys from Mexico are never called in.

I guess the difference is the two who were are on the "Bobby Wood" level, whereas Alvarado will be playing.

xbhaskarx

A few months ago I made a list of 23 guys I wanted to see get a shot in January camp:

Bill Hamid, Steve Clark, Luis Robles, Robbie Rogers, Matt Hedges, Shane O'Neill, Steve Birnbaum, Chris Schuler, Kofi Sarkodie, Andrew Farrell, Lee Nguyen, Perry Kitchen, Amobi Okugo, Wil Trapp, Dillon Powers, Tony Tchani, Harrison Shipp, Kelyn Rowe, Luis Silva, Ethan Finlay, Gyasi Zardes, Christian Ramirez, Tesho Akindele

Looks like 15 didn't make it and only 8 did (Hamid out with an injury)...

Hedges and SIlva are huge snubs.

Askani

MLS heading to St Louis?

Peacock releases stadium image
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B67VZr7CQAAhD10.jpg[IMG]

[URL="https://twitter.com/KMOXSports/status/553618907463184384"]KMOXSports[/URL]
Peacock says he has met with MLS Commissioner Garber & MLS would love to see a team in St. Louis #STLNFL[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Osorio

So Ader tried to buy the team last year.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/billboard-funder-bulls-31339/

Businessman Jason Ader didn’t just help push the Red Bulls supporters’ billboard campaign over the top — he once tried to buy the team.

In an exclusive conversation with EOS, the Las Vegas magnate spoke about his role in contributing to the Red Bull fans Indie Go-Go campaign — and his attempt to buy the Red Bulls operations.

“I asked sometime last year, got to know [Red Bull Head of Global Soccer] Oliver Mintzlaff from Red Bull [Austria], and asked if there was a chance the team was for sale, to let me know. I had an interest,” Ader tells EOS. “He made it very clear the team is not for sale and so I said to him then and I would say now, I would be happy to work with you to make the club the best it can be, from player development to fan engagement, let me know how I can help.

“It was pretty clear when I spoke to Oliver last the team was not for sale, but hopefully if they change their mind, they would let me be part of the process to bid on it.”

He really seems to get it.

SAVE US

Based Twellman

Taylor Twellman
‏@TaylorTwellman
Hearing @PhilaUnion have put their name into the @SachaKljestan sweepstakes as @SoccerInsider reported days ago 4 teams. #RBNY #PHL

I'm surprised it's taken this long.

no solid ownership group is probably the biggest issue but with the whole Rams situation I bet things will change...

So Ader tried to buy the team last year.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/billboard-funder-bulls-31339/

He really seems to get it.

SAVE US

He definitely seems like the right guy to do it too. He apparently really wants an in into MLS and Las Vegas was an idea but I feel like NYRB would be the absolute best option: an established team and roster, fanbase, facilities, and most importantly a pretty good stadium. Then he could bring back Petke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom