• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

Paul Kennedy ‏@pkedit 1h
Klinsmann said Kyle Beckerman did not accept #USMNT callup so he can concentrate on preparing for #RSL season. http://bit.ly/1A0wPvH

U.S. men's national team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has called up 28 players for the team's first camp of the year that begins Monday at the U.S. Soccer National Training Center in Carson, California. The team includes 14 uncapped players as well as 11 players eligible for the U.S. under-23 team that will attempt to qualify for the 2016 Olympics. There are only seven holdovers from the 2014 World Cup.
Three MLS players expected to called in -- Omar Gonzalez, Graham Zusi and Bill Hamid -- had to pull out because of injuries.

Klinsmann said Kyle Beckerman did not accept a callup so he can concentrate on preparing for the new season at Real Salt Lake, where he recently signed a new contract.

xbhaskarx

This confused me for a second

10 Herber Mejia Flores (M)

aka Junior

another team pic
B67EMIVIcAIMC49.jpg:large

- MLS Analyst: Five burning questions about the USMNT January camp roster
1. Who are these guys?

2. So what spots do they play?

3. You didn't mention Pelosi

4. Perry Kitchen, defender. Explain that

5. Is Tesho Akindele really international quality?
Flores is a pure attacking midfielder who should probably be considered a modern No. 10 (think "Lee Nguyen"). Sorto's a right back for the Galaxy, though he spent all season playing for Los Dos. Dean got 123 minutes last year as a left-footed central defender for the Whitecaps. Bono is a goalkeeper from Syracuse who's a part of this year's Generation adidas class, while Kempin is a Sporting KC Homegrown 'keeper who had five saves while conceding seven goals in 315 regular-season minutes this year.

And Morales? He spent half of 2013 with Chivas USA, scoring a pair of goals -- and missing time to represent Mexico at the 2013 U-20 World Cup. Since then he's moved to the Mexican second division.

He played 46 total minutes last season.

Ok, let's talk about Pelosi. He plays attacking midfield, left midfield or left back for Liverpool's reserves, and was at one point considered one of that club's top prospects. But he suffered a broken leg in February 2013, came back 14 months later and has yet to nail down a spot.

Pelosi was clearly the best talent in his US youth national team cohort. That said, his cohort lost to Uzbekistan at the 2011 U-17 World Cup, and that group of '94s hasn't exactly exploded with high achievers. It's telling that Liverpool felt fine about letting him train with the USMNT for a month instead of holding onto him -- he's clearly not about to break into the first team or anything.

v1lla21

Ventura Alvarado got a few minutes with America today. Only had one touch on the ball. Would've been nice to see him play more but oh well. At least he closed last season playing well and winning the league.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ventura Alvarado got a few minutes with America today. Only had one touch on the ball. Would've been nice to see him play more but oh well. At least he closed last season playing well and winning the league.

My mind was like "WTF" at that yellow near the end.

- Jeff Carlisle: Toronto FC have inside track on Altidore due to allocation rankings
In the case of Altidore, two teams have emerged with a high level of interest and a willingness to meet his salary demands of between $5 and $6 million per year: the Portland Timbers and Toronto FC. Toronto has a higher ranking (seventh) than Portland (ninth), and while it's possible that the Timbers could work out a trade with one of the teams above them to leapfrong Toronto, at present, TFC has the inside track.

"[For Altidore], it's not about dollars," said the source. "MLS is right to want a clear, consistent process. The blind draw was a bad look for the league."

Cystm

Dude should go to the Timbers. That team would be looking so much better with a striker like Jozy.

Toronto could use any help it can get, particularly after pushing Defoe out, but the way that shit went down... I would rather see him in Portland. Jozy needs to get himself back in form real quick tho.

xbhaskarx

Is the lineup very different from the Guatemala game?

Seems like it.

Pretty much the same. BJ4 and Gall are out, Hyndman and Gooch are in.

Arriola replaces Gall out wide and Hyndman plays where Arriola did last game. The Hyndman-Arriola switch makes more sense as it's probably the best trio we have for central midfield (Acosta, Hyndman, Flores)...

NolbertoS

Hey GAF, is this also MLS-GAF thread too??also what happened when US tied Guatemela in U-20 WCQ. Seems like Guatemala played a helluva game.

I'm trying to remember all the notable players that have joined the league in the last half year. It's seemed pretty busy, but this is my first year paying attention to MLS.

We've seen the following join the league:

Damarcus Beasley
Jermaine Jones
Brek Shea
Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard (kinda)

And the following have left:

Landon Donovan
Deandre Yedlin
Thierry Henry

And it's looking more and more likely that Mix and Jozy will be coming to MLS. If they do, that seems like a pretty hefty infusion of talent for the league, in large part due to teams pursuing USMNT stars.

Anybody I'm forgetting?

tim.mbp

I'm trying to remember all the notable players that have joined the league in the last half year. It's seemed pretty busy, but this is my first year paying attention to MLS.

We've seen the following join the league:

Damarcus Beasley
Jermaine Jones
Brek Shea
Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard (kinda)

And the following have left:

Landon Donovan
Deandre Yedlin
Thierry Henry

And it's looking more and more likely that Mix and Jozy will be coming to MLS. If they do, that seems like a pretty hefty infusion of talent for the league, in large part due to teams pursuing USMNT stars.

Anybody I'm forgetting?

Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite
Kaká

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom