• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

I imagine he's getting the boot too. That or we'll play him up top along side BWP.

If Petke were still around I'd imagine he'd get the boot for sure. BWP is the clear #1 striker and why would you invest 3 mil for a bench player?

With Marsch around he may be going for a 2 forward system to accomodate Cahill.

Just got home and turned on the second half of the U20 game. Still at 0-0 and pretty tense at this point. The US is in a bit of trouble if they cough up a goal here.

Osorio

Crap, completely forgot about Kaka and David Villa.

So yeah, am I right in saying we're seeing a lot more 'big' moves to MLS than usual? Or am I just thinking this because I wasn't paying attention to previous years?

I think the quantity is bigger, but it's not that noticeable to me because all the players you've mentioned fit in the same category as big moves before. If any of those players came into the league in their prime that'd be a change from the status quo.

I'm more excited about Cubo joining on a permanent basis than any of the aforementioned players.

Crap, completely forgot about Kaka and David Villa.

So yeah, am I right in saying we're seeing a lot more 'big' moves to MLS than usual? Or am I just thinking this because I wasn't paying attention to previous years?

The problem is your radar only included England and the US.

Rafa Marquez? Cuaotemoc blanco?

The problem is your radar only included England and the US.

Rafa Marquez? Cuaotemoc blanco?

Well no, I literally only started paying real attention to soccer in general around the World Cup. Marquez and Blanco seem to be notable additions to MLS from a few years back.

Soccer was just a passing interest for me until I started messing around with a ball more early last year. Then the World Cup made me more interested in the professional sport, the infrastructure, the growth of soccer domestically, etc.

That's why I'm asking if what we're seeing now is an influx of talent at a faster rate than normal. I was aware that we'd had notable players come to the league from elsewhere in the past, but I was wondering if it had ever happened at such a rapid pace before.

I've seen a lot of talk about how MLS's biggest problem at the moment is the talent of the average MLS players that play alongside the DPs, and how the salary cap and minimum salary play into that. So many talented players joining the league at once seems like it'd have a notable impact on the overall level of play.

NoRéN

I think the quantity is bigger, but it's not that noticeable to me because all the players you've mentioned fit in the same category as big moves before. If any of those players came into the league in their prime that'd be a change from the status quo.

I'm more excited about Cubo joining on a permanent basis than any of the aforementioned players.

That's exactly who people should be focusing on.

Clydefrog

kristen-stewart-ooh-o.gif

why am i so attracted to her.

- Goal.com: The latest on Altidore, multiple teams targeting Kljestan, and more
Multiple sources have confirmed to Goal USA that Toronto FC and the New York Red Bulls are the final two teams in the chase to try and acquire Altidore. The Portland Timbers had been in the conversation, but have since fallen out of the picture.
The MLS pursuit of Mix Diskerud is into its final stages, with Diskerud expected to sign a contract this week to join New York City FC. There is still some reluctance to call the deal complete until Diskerud has signed a contract, given the league's failed attempts to secure his services in the past, but the consensus around the league is that the deal will get done.
Sources have confirmed that both the New York Red Bulls and Philadelphia Union are eager to acquire Sacha Kljestan from Anderlecht, and could find themselves in a bidding war for Montreal's allocation spot. Both the Union (Jim Curtin) and Red Bulls (Jesse Marsch) are coached by former MLS teammates of Kljestan, who has been angling for a return to MLS for some time.

Another team believed to be in the running for Kljestan is, believe it or not, the LA Galaxy. Sources have told Goal USA that the Galaxy could be ready to move midfielder Marcelo Sarvas, which could leave room for the acquisition of a player like Kljestan. The Galaxy tried to acquire Kljestan last summer, only to have the move blocked by other teams in the MLS allocation order. The process left Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena so frustrated that he lashed out at MLS in an interview that eventually led to him being hit with a $20,000 fine.

ZZMitch

All these signings and the Revs have done jack. I am starting to get worried about how we are going to look up front next season...

Esch

Banned
5-6 million dollars for Jozy?

Can't help but think that money would be better spent on someone who actually did well in Europe.

Osorio

5-6 million dollars for Jozy?

Can't help but think that money would be better spent on someone who actually did well in Europe.

He did well at AZ but that's not what people are looking at right now.

His time at Sunderland, Hull, and in Spain were abysmal

Osorio

Not sure if it was mentioned before but

Lloyd Sam got a contract extension
We signed Oyongo from his club in Cameroon
Peguy's option was picked up

And there are rumors we signed homegrown player Brandon Allen

Solid moves on the field if not for the glaring holes at CB we have

Osorio

Signing Jozy would be pointless at the moment even if we go back to a 4-4-2 or whatever unless we sign a backup for Peguy.

Shit, we should sign Riquelme. Two dinosaurs sharing the same spot.

Esch

Banned
He did well at AZ but that's not what people are looking at right now.

His time at Sunderland, Hull, and in Spain were abysmal
I mean that's what I'm saying basically. I like Jozy as a person fair enough but he hasn't showed out in years. As a manager, seems like you could probably nab a better choice for that price.

Osorio

I mean that's what I'm saying basically. I like Jozy as a person fair enough but he hasn't showed out in years. As a manager, seems like you could probably nab a better choice for that price.

Looking at his 12/13 highlights, Dutch defenses are pretty awful

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Well according to the report NYRB would be getting him for less than his reported asking price.

Signing Jozy would be pointless at the moment even if we go back to a 4-4-2 or whatever unless we sign a backup for Peguy.

Shit, we should sign Riquelme. Two dinosaurs sharing the same spot.

Don't we already have a few younger guys for the spot, like Bover? We did use him as a sub for Henry near the end so he can't be total crap.

Osorio

Don't we already have a few younger guys for the spot, like Bover? We did use him as a sub for Henry near the end so he can't be total crap.

We've only used Bover on the wing if I remember correctly.

Maybe Stevenson? I believe Christianson is a #6

NoRéN

I still remember when people were saying that Jozy's club form did not matter as long as he performed for the USMNT.

Welcome back, Jozy. Time to check that ego and be glad MLS still wants you.

xbhaskarx

I just don't get the hype around some of these potential moves, I'm happy to have big US stars like Dempsey and Bradley coming back to the league, but the premium on guys who have put on the USMNT jersey is getting ridiculous. Jozy is a big name I'd want back in the league, but his salary demands seem a bit high for a guy who is struggling. Kljestan, who cares? Did anyone care when he was at Chivas USA and on the fringe of the national team? Will Mix take up NYC's final DP slot? If so I'm not sure what he's done to earn that. It will be interesting to compare Mix's production with NYC to a guy like Steindorsson for Columbus...

xbhaskarx

US Ballon d'Or ballots:

Clint Dempsey’s votes: Ronaldo, Messi, Mueller.
Klinsmann’s votes: Neuer, Ronaldo, Robben.
Paul Kennedy’s votes: Ronaldo, Messi, Lahm.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't get the hype around some of these potential moves, I'm happy to have big US stars like Dempsey and Bradley coming back to the league, but the premium on guys who have put on the USMNT jersey is getting ridiculous. Jozy is a big name I'd want back in the league, but his salary demands seem a bit high for a guy who is struggling. Kljestan, who cares? Did anyone care when he was at Chivas USA and on the fringe of the national team? Will Mix take up NYC's final DP slot? If so I'm not sure what he's done to earn that. It will be interesting to compare Mix's production with NYC to a guy like Steindorsson for Columbus...

He hasn't earned a DP spot. US fans always overhype players.

Meier

He hasn't earned a DP spot. US fans always overhype players.

Sadly true. If Brek Shea isn't worth a DP (and I don't think he is), then no way Mix is. I would imagine he gets the designation though since he is the US' new number 10 and MLS will want to pimp him out.

Looking at the NYCFC roster in comparison to Orlando City.. man, it's pretty weak looking even if Lampard was on the team. I assume the majority of their unused international spots will be on loanees from MCFC's U-21 team. They should bring in some quality, but it feels like a pretty unfinished team whereas OCSC looks like they can compete immediately.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly true. If Brek Shea isn't worth a DP (and I don't think he is), then no way Mix is. I would imagine he gets the designation though since he is the US' new number 10 and MLS will want to pimp him out.

Looking at the NYCFC roster in comparison to Orlando City.. man, it's pretty weak looking even if Lampard was on the team. I assume the majority of their unused international spots will be on loanees from MCFC's U-21 team. They should bring in some quality, but it feels like a pretty unfinished team whereas OCSC looks like they can compete immediately.

Neither of the rosters impress me. On paper NY has a decent defense filled with MLS veterans.

Regarding the potential influx of USMNT players into MLS, I think a lot of guys' eyes lit up when they saw the money that Dempsey and Bradley are getting paid, but they didn't realize that they're not going to get the same amount. I could see low level DP deals for a few of them, but in general they're incorrectly assuming that they'll get a ton of cash for coming back.

In other news:

- Julio Morales Leaves El Tri, Pledges Allegiance to U.S.
The 21-year-old dual-national forward played for Mexico in the 2013 U-20 World Cup, but that didn't stop Jurgen Klinsmann and Tab Ramos from recruiting Morales to play for the U.S.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the potential influx of USMNT players into MLS, I think a lot of guys' eyes lit up when they saw the money that Dempsey and Bradley are getting paid, but they didn't realize that they're not going to get the same amount. I could see low level DP deals for a few of them, but in general they're incorrectly assuming that they'll get a ton of cash for coming back.

In other news:

- Julio Morales Leaves El Tri, Pledges Allegiance to U.S.

I guess Chivas will be letting him go once his loan his up since he's switching.

Arials

I assumed that too, but Claudio Reyna said today that they are only planning to bring over "at most" one Man City U21 player (of the 4 they are allowed to bring). I imagine that decision has been made post Lampard fiasco with trying not to look like a feeder team being in mind much more than doing the best thing to strengthen their squad.

NYC have been surprisingly inactive in the international transfer market. Orlando City though have apparently signed another striker today; Martin Paterson from Huddersfield Town. I've never heard of him, but he's scored twice as many Premier League goals as Altidore in a third of the games and will probably be much cheaper too.

Edit: not a bad finish.

Esch

Banned
You know, I expected these call ins to be filled with more invective and fuckery. They're downright civil instead lol.

MLS fans really are the most polite.

Osorio

You know, I expected these call ins to be filled with more invective and fuckery. They're downright civil instead lol.

MLS fans really are the most polite.

Maybe but it sounds like they're screening for the nerdiest dudes.

Also, getting uncivil in front of Mark and Dan is kinda pointless. If Ali Curtis was with them it'd be another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom