• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

15k people tuned into to hear the former coach of their club on the verge of tears

It's clear this is a unique situation in the world of MLS, and that's why I'm excited for this season. The fanbase has never been so unified and I think changes will happen.

Osorio

What did Petke say? I could only tune in to the last minute he was on ("Guys I'm not dead").

He said that he couldn't elaborate on a lot of the things they wanted to talk about. But he was clearly hurt and on the verge of tears and it sucks to hear a man so broken. I'd imagine this was his dream job, and it was stripped from him.

Osorio

Good to see the show ended with Brent, a guy who taught me pretty much everything about the history of the club, and about supporter culture. He was the capo of ESC before we had capos essentially.

He said that he couldn't elaborate on a lot of the things they wanted to talk about. But he was clearly hurt and on the verge of tears and it sucks to hear a man so broken. I'd imagine this was his dream job, and it was stripped from him.

god that sounds so rough, I can't even imagine.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Probably going to be true.

I'm skipping the first home game this year in protest, so I wouldn't be shocked if others did the same. Shit, maybe we should see if we can organize such a thing. That'd be sure to make the news and put some pressure on Red Bull.

Osorio

I'm skipping the first home game this year in protest, so I wouldn't be shocked if others did the same. Shit, maybe we should see if we can organize such a thing. That'd be sure to make the news and put some pressure on Red Bull.

My plan is to get midfield seats on Stubhub and hang a Red Bull Out banner so it's clearly visible on TV. Will probably get snatched from me but it's worth a shot.

Osorio

I hope that the Red Bull OUT campaign grows larger and eventually the other teams in the league chime in. Stories like Red Bull, Chivas, and NYCFC/Man City are a blight on the league as a whole.

I know Montreal fans always put up banners against corporate takeover when we play them. Portland hangs a Metrostars banner in the TA section when we play them too.

xbhaskarx

Ali Curtis lays out his “vision” for the New York Red Bulls

While those categories are wide ranging, the direction in each area can fundamentally change how Red Bull does business.

Amongst the ideas in Curtis’ plan:

Discussing mandates on the number of homegrown players signed each year.

Discussing set minutes to be allocated for homegrown players within the first team.

Bridging the gap between the young academy and first team through the implementation of a USL Pro side. “Having a platform that is linked directly to Major League Soccer is very important,” he insists.

Setting bars for success on the field, not just on a year to year basis. “Everybody wants to win MLS Cup,” he explains. “Everybody wants to make the playoffs. What does that mean for the Red Bulls on a 12 month cycle, a three year cycle, on a five year cycle?”

While success was being achieved on field, General Manager Marc de Grandpre led the off-field transformation with a highly touted “return to your roots” program aimed at restoring, and honoring, the history of the Metrostars.

That program remains part of another long term vision of the club; De Grandpre’s five year plan. As fate would have it, the hallmarks of both blueprints are, as De Grandpre says, “in lockstep,” with the Red Bull GM adding his own unique objectives into the equation.

Pretty general stuff so far but hard to argue with much of it... NYRB have certainly done a terrible job integrating homegrown players so far.

Osorio

“Bringing in staff, a head coach that embraces that, a style of play that is high tempo and high pressure that embraces who we are, and really some of those key areas we want to drive success in.”

Last time I checked the we in a club is the fans and the area that the club represents. Without us the club goes bankrupt and does not exist. However, the quote makes it clear that by "we" Curtis is referring to Austria. They are so detached it's not even funny.

Fans were perfectly fine with the way the team played because most of the fans are fucking blue collar and enjoy toughness. Why else would the fans love a fucking bar brawler like Luke Rodgers?

ZZMitch

B7PdRRwIAAIysXG.jpg

It's finally over

Meier

B7PdRRwIAAIysXG.jpg

It's finally over

I can't tell if this is a Photoshop or what (not the background, the actual head of Mix)...something is off about his eyes. It's kind of a weird looking photo, haha. Good for NYCFC to get this sorted now -- ready for the hundred jokes about him being "loaned" to Man City now.

Meier

Mix-0.jpg

I wonder if he'll really have Mix on the back of his shirt when he plays. CFG adding two players in a week or so with their first name on their shirt? The NYCFC website indicates they got him due to Allocation Order so does that confirm he's a DP?

shoplifter

Oh convenient. We were top of the allocation order when we tried to get him and had to use it on Kamara.

edit: and what the hell, not a DP? NYCFC have $600k+ in allocation money lying around, assuming they matched our offer?

Cystm

NYCFC doesn't look so bad on the field anymore. The team makeup seems solid enough.

I really hope they provide a good derby with the NY Beverages and make a run for the playoffs.

Askani

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 13m
Players who boosted stock the most at #MLScombine : Barrett, Catic, Nick Besler, Otis Earle, Aguilar, Tim Parker, Campbell, Ballo, Brandt​

xbhaskarx

Well if Mix is not a DP there goes my earlier criticism of the move...

Wonder who their third DP will be? Will they wait until the summer and go after De Rossi?

Love to hear how the league explains cocking up the Mix to Columbus deal, then no more than two months later getting him to NYCFC.

I'm REALLY struggling to see the conspiracy here....

That Mix to Columbus deal falling apart had nothing to do with MLS?? Every report was that Mix's shady dad kept making more and more demands:
Columbus thought it had a handshake deal on terms with U.S. international Mix Diskerud, only for his father/agent, Paal, to demand more money at the last second, according to multiple sources. As of Wednesday, the MLS summer transfer deadline, the two sides were still trying to work out a deal but had yet to reach one. A similar situation happened in early 2013 when Diskerud nearly joined Portland, only for talks to break down late in the game.
And finally Columbus got sick of it. And Mix would have been a DP at Columbus with a much higher salary than he'll have with NYCFC, obviously he was willing to take a pay cut to be in NY where he could properly utilize his hat collection. That's just the reality, not something MLS has created, players are going to prefer to play in markets like LA and NY to Columbus and Salt Lake City... And as for why NYCFC, they were at the top of the allocation ranking after Orlando chose the top pick in the draft.

But hey let's just ignore the facts and blame MLS for everything...

shoplifter

Well if Mix is not a DP there goes my earlier criticism of the move...

Just because he's not a "DP" doesn't mean he isn't making a DP salary. It'd take a lot of allocation to pay him what was offered in Columbus, but apparently expansion clubs get a large sum of Garberbux which could put this in the realm of possibility. Granted that lets them sign another "real" DP, at least until next year when the allocation buydown expires.

The allocation order (which Columbus was at the top of when trying to get Diskerud in August) is basically a joke, because it's actively circumvented by the league on an annual basis to make sure someone goes where the league wants. It's essentially a pointless list, allowing a club to get who might be available at the time, unless they league doesn't want them to go there.

We also know that the league approves DP contracts and payment of transfer fees (Christ, the league paid the transfer fee for Dempsey - essentially handing Seattle $9m.) Did Columbus walk away when Mix's loan shark dad wanted more? Maybe. Quite possibly. Maybe the league (who do have a guy in charge of negotiating deals, fyi) didn't want Precourt to up his offer any more, or knew that Mix would probably be available on a free in a few months and the league could just put him on whatever club they wanted. We don't know for sure, and because of the "use it or lose it" allocation order, Columbus ended up using their allocation spot on Kei Kamara. Having just re-signed Pipa, I don't think we actually need Mix anymore, but that's really not my point.

All I'm saying is that it's time for the league to be completely transparent with respect to transfer activitiy. Was this all above board? Maybe, but the league has proven over the past few seasons to be relatively obfuscatory with how some of the big transfers have happened.

Just let the teams negotiate these deals with whatever player(s) they want. If they don't want to come to small markets, so be it. Let those clubs sign South American players at a relative bargain. Get rid of allocation, it's only used when it's convenient for the league anyway. At least with a completely open market for players, it eliminates even the implication that the league got involved. I think we're at the point where the league isn't going to fold, and no one is stupid enough to go out and have a club full of Beckenbauers & Chignalias.

xbhaskarx

Professional Futsal League coming in 2016...

pasted%20svg%20278x88.svg

Professional Futsal League is coming to an arena near you! PFL is bringing the world’s authentic small sided game to the United States on a major league level with a high scoring, fast paced, entertaining version of the beautiful game.

Professional Futsal League will kick off our inaugural season in November 2016. Charter PFL teams will be announced soon. The PFL will be a National League with Regional Conferences, which will provide a high level of competition and heated rivalries between traditional regional city rivals.

PFL owners range from successful business owners to professional basketball team owners to professional outdoor soccer team owners. These hand selected local owners all have one thing in common: A commitment to providing opportunities for local players to play at the highest level, providing an incredible experience for fans & sponsors while growing the world’s most popular game and giving back to their community. PFL venues are known for hosting world-class events and will soon be known for hosting the world’s game!

PFL Vision is to build a national Professional Futsal League (PFL) that is made up of Regional Divisions. PFL will be recognized as a first class professional sports league that fulfills a niche of authentic professional small sided soccer in markets all over the country with a sustainable business model that provides an authentic product on the court and quality, affordable entertainment in the stands, giving companies an effective platform to market their products & services while doing our part to grow the game of futsal and giving back to every PFL community on multiple levels.

Meier

Futsal is definitely key to youth development from what many a smart people have said. Good to see it becoming a bit more prevalent in the US.

Speaking of the US, this image was in the email from NYCFC about Mix signing:

'Merica!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Futsal is definitely key to youth development from what many a smart people have said. Good to see it becoming a bit more prevalent in the US.

Speaking of the US, this image was in the email from NYCFC about Mix signing:

'Merica!

Well, Parent Company's Subsidiary needs to win back some goodwill from the city somehow and I suppose this is a start.

My dad will be glad to hear Mix ditched to mustache.

Esch

Banned
nobody outside of (american) soccer forums knows who the fuck Mix is.

what a bizarre advertising point. Makes more sense to use david villa.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
nobody outside of (american) soccer forums knows who the fuck Mix is.

what a bizarre advertising point. Makes more sense to use david villa.

They've done that already. They stick everyone on a billboard. That's what happens when you have money to blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom