• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

The Atlanta stadium fly through looks so damn good. Shame we didn't win the WC, totally could have seen Atlanta getting a host city spot.

Osorio

Professional Futsal League coming in 2016...

pasted%20svg%20278x88.svg

Hell yeah. Have a team at the Prudential Center plz

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Someone on twitter compared Michael Stephens' stats in Norway to Mix's. Yet Stephens won't get a big contract in MLS.

It just proves how overrated Diskerud is.

I can see having another regular on the USMNT being there would help the transition.

Anyway I'm ok with this (outside of him being in toronto) having him getting playing time is key. I would've liked to have seen him in Europe though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That article suggested Bradley may have been influential...

Couple that with Red Bull's recent moves and I guess I can see why. Still, Toronto?

I can see having another regular on the USMNT being there would help the transition.

Anyway I'm ok with this (outside of him being in toronto) having him getting playing time is key. I would've liked to have seen him in Europe though.

Same, I think he could have done well in France. Hopefully Toronto can get it's shit together and start building a decent team around Jozy and Bradley. I'd rather like to see the two of them do well.

Flaymeboy

Neo Member
Couple that with Red Bull's recent moves and I guess I can see why. Still, Toronto?

Same, I think he could have done well in France. Hopefully Toronto can get it's shit together and start building a decent team around Jozy and Bradley. I'd rather like to see the two of them do well.

I'm not having a go at you but I do find it quite sickening that this is how a team is referred to. What next? The Utah Bodyformers? It's not having a pop at the MLS either as Red Bull Salzburg are just as guilty!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not having a go at you but I do find it quite sickening that this is how a team is referred to. What next? The Utah Bodyformers? It's not having a pop at the MLS either as Red Bull Salzburg are just as guilty!

I was referring to the company, and the recent actions they've taken in regards to the team, not the team itself.

I do get your point though and agree 110%, with any luck they'll sell in the next few years and we'll go back to being Metro. It's still better than NYCFC and Parent Company at least.

xbhaskarx

Edit: Also Sebastian Giovinco @ $7 million per? Where is TFC getting this money?

MLSE have no shortage of money... they are currently spending more on BMO FIeld renovations than all but a few MLS stadiums cost to build.

I was going to ask about DP slots but the article covers it:

TSN can also confirm negotiations to bring Juventus attacking midfielder/striker Sebastian Giovinco to Toronto FC continue to advance. The Italian's contract with his current club runs until July 1st. A fourth designated player spot is needed for any deal to be consummated or current Toronto FC striker Gilberto would have to be dealt to open another Designated Player spot. Any potential move for Giovinco is far from completed, but there is belief the signature of the player and a requisite deal are attainable. Giovinco, 27, has seen limited first team chances with Juventus this season, starting only two Serie A games. He has featured for country 20 times and would represent the type of elite playmaker required at Toronto FC. Giovinco has a superior work rate and talent to help Toronto FC bolster an attack lacking a creative spark in the attacking third. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Board of Directors would have to approve any move with salary demands said to be in the $7 million range per season.

Flaymeboy

Neo Member
I was referring to the company, and the recent actions they've taken in regards to the team, not the team itself.

I do get your point though and agree 110%, with any luck they'll sell in the next few years and we'll go back to being Metro. It's still better than NYCFC and Parent Company at least.

As an English soccer fan I would rejoice that day and see it as a huge step forward.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Now you'll have a perverse national responsibility to watch Toronto.

Some of our best boys are rocking the red maple leaf!

That's gonna be awkward when they come to town. Like I'm sure we all want em to do well, until they're playing us then fuck those guys.

As an English soccer fan I would rejoice that day and see it as a huge step forward.

I'd cry tears of joy. Shit, I wouldn't even mind buying a new jersey.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Especially us considering both of them have ties to Jersey.

Remember when the national team played at Red Bull Area before the World Cup and all the cheers and reactions he got? He's put the whole fan base in a real awkward position with this move.

Osorio

Remember when the national team played at Red Bull Area before the World Cup and all the cheers and reactions he got? He's put the whole fan base in a real awkward position with this move.

He's in our best XI that hangs in the rafters of RBA lol

xbhaskarx

I always just root for the USMNT players to perform well but for their teams to lose.

Lots of Earthquakes fans still dislike Donovan and call him Judas and whatnot, but that's hardly the same situation as Altidore left New York for Europe, not directly for Toronto...

shoplifter

Kurtis Larson
@KurtLarSUN
TFC has sold Defoe for in the neighbourhood of $11 million. Altidore is indeed coming back to MLS, but still has to go through allocation...

Let hilarity reign

to be fair, this is probably how it should be, seeing as Defoe was paid for with SUM Sale proceeds, correct? TFC should be getting fuck all out of this deal in reality.

ZZMitch

I'm pretty pumped he's in Toronto to be honest. Gives me more a reason to head to BMO field besides when the Revs come to town! Being able to see both Bradley and Jozy on the field together as much as I want doing the regular season is going to be pretty awesome.

Hieberrr

Now all we need to figure out is our backline and our AM.

For the 2015 thread, can we please call it the North American Soccer thread?

xbhaskarx

Defoe was paid for with SUM Sale proceeds, correct?

What? The stories stated that MLSE gave Lieweke $25 million (transfer fees plus salary) to spend and he spent $50 million on Bradley and Defoe. What does SUM have to do with it?

"I'd say some of our partners think we've lost our minds," said Leiweke, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.

At some US$10 million apiece, Defoe and Bradley each broke the MLS record for transfer fees. To put that further in perspective, their fees double the expansion fee MLSE paid before entering the league in 2007.

"To do one DP is a smart move, to do two DPs is not the smartest thing we've ever done and to do three is financial suicide," Leiweke told a raucous news conference Monday announcing the signing of Defoe and Bradley.

"We don't have enough seats to make economic sense out of this," he added later.

Leiweke and Toronto FC, backed by buckets of MLSE cash, are taking a leap of faith and asking soccer fans to come with them — with the three designated players leading the way.

After the MLSE board dug deep into its corporate pocket, Leiweke reached for the words of Bobby Kennedy as he tried to capture the start of a soccer Camelot.

"Some people see things as they are and say 'Why?' Others dream of what can be and they say 'Why not."'

"Today is why not," Leiweke added. "Why can't we be great?"

First MLS was at fault for Mix and Columbus failing to agree to terms, now SUM paid for Defoe... where are you getting this stuff from?

Edit: actually looks like the numbers were double that, but in any case the point is that was MLSE's money.

In MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke’s first job interview, he asked the heads of Bell and Rogers if they’d be willing to stake him on a big soccer purchase.

“A Beckham deal,” he told them.

When they said, “Yes,” Leiweke agreed to take the job.

He’d be shepherding the Leafs and the Raptors, but Leiweke’s short-term fixation was pulling Toronto FC out of the shallow grave previous management regimes had buried it in.

He arrived in June. Six months later, Leiweke had committed more than $100 million of MLSE’s money — twice what he’d originally asked for — and permanently altered the economics of a major North American sports league.

Osorio

I always just root for the USMNT players to perform well but for their teams to lose.

Lots of Earthquakes fans still dislike Donovan and call him Judas and whatnot, but that's hardly the same situation as Altidore left New York for Europe, not directly for Toronto...

Any Metro fan who boos Jozy for going to Toronto is a moron.

I don't blame any SJ fan for disliking Donovan tho.

ZZMitch

I'm down to change it to North American now that I'm following Liga MX

I would be totally in favor to more Liga MX talk in here as well. It's an interesting league that is fun to talk about in relation to MLS and there are a good amount of American players in it as well.

Nesotenso

A significant portion of the discussion here is actually regarding the US national team. I think the thread title should remain American soccer. That way the people who don't follow MLS can drop by looking at the title.

Osorio

A significant portion of the discussion here is actually regarding the US national team. I think the thread title should remain American soccer. That way the people who don't follow MLS can drop by looking at the title.

There's not enough Canadian national team talk imo :)

shoplifter

What? The stories stated that MLSE gave Lieweke $25 million (transfer fees plus salary) to spend and he spent $50 million on Bradley and Defoe. What does SUM have to do with it

Edit: actually looks like the numbers were double that, but in any case the point is that was MLSE's money.

I've seen several places that said that at least a portion of the money came from SUM proceeds, just like Dempseys transfer. If that isn't the case, it's not the case.

If the league would stop doing that kind of shit then there wouldn't be anything to question.

Cystm

I thought this was Merica, damn it.

I wish we talked about Southern American football as well. Particularly Liga MX.

I need pages filled with Miguel Herrera .Gifs

Elchele

I thought this was Merica, damn it.

I wish we talked about Southern American football as well. Particularly Liga MX.

I need pages filled with Miguel Herrera .Gifs

Liga MX is in North America.
There are a few mexicans in the Football thread, you can try there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom