• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arials

I'm assuming NYRB II came on with a B team so that players for NYRB II aren't cup tied when the first team enters the tournament. If not, that's just sad.

Why are the B teams even allowed to play in the cup? In Germany and Spain B teams are banned from the cup and before the bans came in there were a few embarrassing episodes. Nothing good can come of letting this kind of conflict of interest happen.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Looks fun. What are some good bars in Inwood? I'm only in the neighborhood for brunch at Mamajuana's on Dyckman.

We pregamed at Liffy II, which was a couple streets away from the field. That block alone had a dive bar, sports bar, and a hookah lounge. There's another dive bar across the street alittle further south called Irish Eyes, then 207th has Piper's Kilt and Inwood Local. On the bus ride over there on Sunday I saw this new place called Tryon Public House, looked pretty nice from the outside.

NYRB II is losing to NJ Express 1-0 at NJIT

3rd Round of the Open Cup

I'm assuming NYRB II came on with a B team so that players for NYRB II aren't cup tied when the first team enters the tournament. If not, that's just sad.

edit: yeah it's the former.

Diaz
Thomas - da Fonte - Plewa - Heffron
Metzger - Etienne - Adams
J. Sanchez - Tsonis - Clay

That's a bingo. I went to the match and everyone looked disjointed and always just a step behind when trying to develop something. Adams looked good out there (He also played well on Sunday against Charleston). The best player on the field was #10 for Jersey Express, Brayan Martinez.

Why are the B teams even allowed to play in the cup? In Germany and Spain B teams are banned from the cup and before the bans came in there were a few embarrassing episodes. Nothing good can come of letting this kind of conflict of interest happen.

I don't see why it's a problem, it's just more playing time for the reserve players. What are some examples of these embarrassing episodes?

Cystm

Interesting read on Will Johnson:

- Toronto Sun: Timbers' Will Johnson could fittingly return at BMO.

Will Johnson on his injury said:
“I was OK for a couple of minutes,” Johnson recalled, “but once they had to move it to stabilize it, that was the worst part of the pain.”

And so the “brutal” process began – surgery, two nights in hospital, a week in Toronto.

Bradley, who scored a last-gasp game-winner that night after watching Johnson leave in an ambulance, visited his old friend every day.

“It had been years since we were playing in Holland together,” Johnson reminisced.

“There were some positives (to the injury). Getting to see Michael and my mom was two of them.”

It took his mind off a looming self-assessment.

Someone pointed out that you're allowed to make roster changes after the group phase at the Gold Cup, so that would give Jozy more time if he needs it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Someone pointed out that you're allowed to make roster changes after the group phase at the Gold Cup, so that would give Jozy more time if he needs it.

From what he told Varney the injury didn't feel as bad as previous pulls and that he may not need the full time to recover, considering he was able to walk off the field without assistance I wouldn't be surprised if he was being honest and not just saying it.

Cystm

I missed last night's SKC v NE match.

What the fuck are these ref's even doing out there?

This is not a penalty but, this is?

So, the logic would be, he is making up for missing that earlier blatantly obvious right in front of his fucking face penalty. Ok. Sure.

This league needs some refs that can handle making these kinds of calls with some consistency.

Dartastic

Interesting read on Will Johnson:

- Toronto Sun: Timbers' Will Johnson could fittingly return at BMO.
I hope he returns. I'd love to see him there. Porter seemed to say he'd be returning on Wednesday (probably) but at the same time he did make the flight to Toronto sooooo.... Who knows.
I missed last night's SKC v NE match.

What the fuck are these ref's even doing out there?

This is not a penalty but, this is?

So, the logic would be, he is making up for missing that earlier blatantly obvious right in front of his fucking face penalty. Ok. Sure.

This league needs some refs that can handle making these kinds of calls with some consistency.
In another edition of "this league's refs are shit..."

Meier

I have no issue with the penalty being given on the Dwyer foul. Don't manhandle a dude in the box like that and you won't risk getting a penalty called.

Cystm

I have no issue with the penalty being given on the Dwyer foul. Don't manhandle a dude in the box like that and you won't risk getting a penalty called.

My issue is consistency. One is a called penalty while the other one isn't..

The first penalty being someone getting bulldozed right in front of the ref and it being play on, but a tug that left the attacker with the ball being a penalty.

Meier

My issue is consistency. One is a called penalty while the other one isn't..

The first penalty being someone getting bulldozed right in front of the ref and it being play on, but a tug that left the attacker with the ball being a penalty.

Well, penalty decisions are not consistent in any league to be honest. I would say that at a minimum, there are probably 2 or 3 moments where one could be called per game but there's probably only 2 or 3 given per game week. Most refs are always going to be reluctant to give them since they have such a major implication on the outcome of the game.

The Dwyer one caused people to be up in arms (I believe the reddit post about it referred to it as the "worst penalty decision ever" or some such) but it's a clear foul by the defender so I was happy to see the ref not just ignore it since he didn't go to the ground.. that is usually the only way they'll give one.

- MLS Analyst previews Week 12
- Alex Olshansky on which foot various strikers use for their shots:
cGC8yrH.png

Weekend action:

Meier

Neat to see Giovinco and Wondo being so foot agnostic.. I am always amazed at the lengths some players go to not use a particular one. Very interesting to see the lack of left footers though. Aleks Kolarov (a realistic option for a future left footed player) would blow minds in MLS.

RELAYER

Banned
Random question - Why does the US women's team do so much better than the men?

Was just checking out the wikipedia pages of both and the US looks like they are one of the top women's teams.

Was just checking out the wikipedia pages of both and the US looks like they are one of the top women's teams.

I always thought the US invested more in women's sports than most countries. On the other hand soccer still sits fairly low on the pecking order for men's sports here where as other countries its #1 by a mile.

That being said I think our men's team could defeat our women's team if need be.

Cystm

The bottom line is: Our women are amazing athletes and competitors.

There are a number of factors contributing to the success of our woman and lack there of for our men. We have women competing at the top level in a male dominated chauvinistic world and against ridiculous obstacles and oppression.

The reasons why countries like Spain, England, Germany, France, etc. are successful are numerous, but one defining factor is that they all have sustainable and hugely successful domestic leagues that are then able to churn out talent at a greater frequency than ours. For our men it is finally getting up there, but has a long way to go. Our women have had three domestic leagues to try and cultivate the skilled females in this country - two of which folded, because the general public doesn't get it or doesn't care...

Another major factor is time. While the rest of the world has been supporting and loving men playing soccer for a century, the world over has not given a damn about women in sports beyond the collegiate level, and I think for us, despite people not caring enough to support a professional soccer league for our women, are still vastly more supportive than other countries around the world.

Considering that, I believe the USMNT are going against competition that has been cultivated for a century the world over. We did not really put anything into the sport until the '90s. Pele and the '70s put the game on the national radar briefly and then it fell by the wayside for most of the country.

World Cup '94 really changed this countries appreciation for the sport, albeit slowly. We now have a domestic league that is comparable to the bigger leagues around the world, though obviously not in the top 4 of 5.

I always thought the US invested more in women's sports than most countries. On the other hand soccer still sits fairly low on the pecking order for men's sports here where as other countries its #1 by a mile.

Basically.

That being said I think our men's team could defeat our women's team if need be.

jCWQr.gif

Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom