• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lengthy explanation of the Dempsey situation from Liviu Bird after talking to US Soccer:
Just off the phone with a U.S. Soccer spokesman, who actually clarified the issue of Clint Dempsey's disciplinary jurisdiction quite nicely:
Because Dempsey's red card came for a very specific kind of offense, namely referee abuse and assault, the member organization to which he and his team are registered (MLS, in this case) MUST go through an adjudication process and hand down the proper punishment, as outlined in the U.S. Soccer Policy Manual. The Open Cup disciplinary panel will also hand down a punishment after an investigation separate from MLS's.
This wouldn't be the case if he were sent off for serious foul play or violent conduct or any of the other, I suppose you could say, "more standard" offenses in the Laws of the Game. However, because U.S. Soccer takes referee abuse and assault more seriously, it basically creates a double-jeopardy type of situation where Dempsey is likely to face more severe punishment for what is deemed to be a very serious type of offense.
So it's not that U.S. Soccer is passing the responsibility of disciplining a player off to the league, per se, but rather that the disciplinary panel for the competition in which this offense occurred (U.S. Open Cup) AND the league to which the player is registered (MLS) both have to hand down separate punishments because the offense is so severe.
I hope that makes as much sense to everybody reading as it does to me. It's still kind of confusing, but the nuances make a bit more sense now that somebody explained them to me.

It sure sounds like a way to push off responsibility so Dempsey isn't suspended for the Gold Cup. Three games for what he did is laughable and who gives a damn if he is suspended longer for the Open Cup?

Dartastic

Lovely day for a game. Also, Andrea Pirlo was spotted at the NYCFC game. So that's happening.

rgNeVLMl.jpg

Dartastic

4 wins in a row. LET'S FUCKING GO TIMBERS! :D

Honestly, that was hard to watch at times. The Timbers had the ball on the attacking side of the half so much it was hard to keep track. I was in the front row of 105 too. :)

Askani

Man...that's some unlucky shit.

Although that's the kind of crap that will happen when you just give them chance after chance after chance in front of goal.

Gold Cup roster:
U.S. Roster By Position:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/2007), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake/2011, 2013), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

DEFENDERS (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC/2009), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy/2013), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers/2011)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake/2009, 2013), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes/2011, 2013), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/2007, 2011), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo/2005), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC/2013), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/2011), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC/2005, 2007, 2011), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes/2011, 2013)
Note that Klinsmann can swap out 6 of these players after the group stage.

EDIT: Players left off:

Bill Hamid (D.C. United)

DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Greg Garza (Atlas), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Brek Shea (Orlando City)

Joe Corona (Veracruz), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution)

Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Jordan Morris (Stanford University)

Askani

Figured Besler would be a lock. I guess he was called in during the "6 switch" last time so that's likely again. Suprised at Zusi on the list too.

More Wondo? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom