• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

NYC making moves. Seems like they'll have signed Iraola (RB) of Athletic Club and will get Angelino on loan from MCFC within the next day or two. Angelino is a wonderful LB prospect.

Both confirmed today. Available after July 8th -- Angelino's loan will go through the end of the MLS season.

Dartastic

End of regulation. Sounders are down to 9 men. If we can't put this away I don't even know why to say. We ducking better end this and not contribute to the status of this shitty field.

Lenz44

Banned
"Clint grabs some paperwork from the ref, throws it, picks it back up, and rips it in half, gets sent off."

Lol Dempsey, not having any of it.

Heh, the Seattle-Portland match was insane. The Open Cup is always entertaining.

Quakes snuck by Sacramende after PKs. Wondo scored a brace at the end of the 2nd half to take it to OT.

Meier

I looked at MLS' fantasy site to check and it doesn't show Dempsey out, so do red cards in USOC not carry over to MLS?

Also, how serious was Oba's injury? Not playing this weekend most likely? With a double week slated for next week too.. ugh.

I looked at MLS' fantasy site to check and it doesn't show Dempsey out, so do red cards in USOC not carry over to MLS?
Doesn't look like they carry over. I checked the US Soccer page, and they have a few players listed as suspended for red cards from last year's tournament.

Meier

Doesn't look like they carry over. I checked the US Soccer page, and they have a few players listed as suspended for red cards from last year's tournament.

Lots of chatter about it technically being an assault on the ref and Dempsey being in line for a 3 month (including national team) ban. Boy would that be interesting.

Lots of chatter about it technically being an assault on the ref and Dempsey being in line for a 3 month (including national team) ban. Boy would that be interesting.
Welp, if it's a broad, US Soccer ban for assault, then it's a different story. Stupid thing for him to do.

gutshot

People worried that if we ban Dempsey, he will miss the Gold Cup. Do we even need him though? He wasn't on the team last time and we won it fairly easily. I know Mexico is bringing a tougher squad this time around, but our B-team just beat the Netherlands and Germany on their home turf while Mexico's B-team drew with Bolivia.

As long as we have Michael Bradley, we'll be fine.

It was a dumb thing for him to do PERIOD.
Oh most definitely. I wasn't implying that it was stupid only because of the potential ban. Just noting that normally USOC bans don't extend into MLS, but a US Soccer ban (like when Rico Clark kicked Carlos Ruiz?) would mean he misses time across the board (USOC, MLS, USMNT).

My guess is that they give him a huge fine, lengthy USOC ban, and a shorter ban for the USMNT/MLS.

Looks like the Revs will be the only MLS team (so far) to lose to a lower division side in US Open Cup... bleh.

Yeah, is it just me or am I seeing more emphasis and importance put on this tournament this year?

Also, Orlando City with 2 PKs in extra time so far.

My Charlotte Independence, a first year USL team, knocked off an MLS team. This is a damn good night for me. :D

Crowd.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Should a Red Bulls fan really be laughing about that? :p

We won 3-0 in our Open Cup game yesterday, I'm good with laughing at them.

We gave less than a shit about that tournament last year and NYCFC was talking big going into this game, so this is still pretty funny.

Cystm

Man MLS and US Soccer need to get the Open Cup on tv, pronto.

Champions league, for sure, but I personally like the smaller crowds for the US open cup.

That said, I don't see Dempsey ripping the refs apart if the stakes were higher and exposure was greater than a YouTube stream with a few hundred people tuning in.

That game seemed more like a park scrim than an actual professional match. The ref was a jackass and was making park scrim calls and non calls.

Matchups:
MLS said:
Round of 16 (June 30-July 1)
New York Red Bulls vs. New York Cosmos (East)
Philadelphia Union vs. D.C. United (East)
Chicago Fire vs. Charlotte Independence (South)
Orlando City vs. Columbus Crew SC (South)
Sporting Kansas City vs. FC Dallas (Central)
Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids (Central)
Real Salt Lake vs. Portland Timbers (West)
San Jose Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy (West)

Quarterfinals (July 21-22)
East final (Red Bulls/Cosmos winner to host)
South final (Chicago/Charlotte winner to host)
Central final (Sporting KC/FC Dallas winner to host)
West final (RSL/Portland winner to host)

Semifinals (Aug. 11-12)
East vs. South
Central vs. West

Final (Sept. 29 or 30)
Semifinal winners

Askani

ESPN.com said:
MLS anonymous player poll on diving, relegation, salaries, concussion, more

Major League Soccer is celebrating its 20th season and, to commemorate the anniversary, 61 current players on the condition of anonymity gave their thoughts to ESPN FC on the state of the league and its place in the world game.

Link: http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...us-player-poll-on-diving-relegation-promotion

I wish the player sampling pool was larger and they included more player comments.

Brian Straus said:
USSF says it will hold hearing next wk to decide Dempsey's future USOC fate. We await MLS ruling. Should come today.

3-game suspension leaves Dempsey avail to join US for 7/3 friendly v GUA. 4 and he's avail for Gold Cup opener on 7/7. 5, nah, won't be 5.

Dartastic

Dempsey suspended three games and fined an undisclosed amount. He won't miss any of the Gold Cup.
While I wish we would get the chance to beat Seattle at full strength, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad that Dempsey and Martins won't be there. We've been significantly hampered basically all year with Valeri and Johnson out, so I don't really feel bad about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom