• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

- US Soccer: MNT ON TV: MOVING ON UP
With a little more than a week away from roster announcements for the double-set of World Cup qualifiers against Guatemala and U-23 Olympic Qualifying playoff with Colombia, the next week’s slate of matches represents the final chance for players to “make their case ” to take part in either series. Here’s your viewing guide.
Guide via the link.

oDDDqUk.jpg

Cystm

Accam is doing so well for Chicago. Goossens is doing well too. I like the progression.

Cyle Laren is on my fantasy team, but he needs to chill the fuck out.

1 goal tonight and just banged one off the post.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Accam is doing so well for Chicago. Goossens is doing well too. I like the progression.

Cyle Laren is on my fantasy team, but he needs to chill the fuck out.

1 goal tonight and just banged one off the post.

This is what I get for not playing him :(

Cystm

Sean Johnson is no longer the number 1 keeper for Chicago. I had assumed he picked up another injury and missed the news. Nope. Rodriguez and Paunovic are backing Lampson to be the number 1.

Last year was rough for Chicago and Sean Johnson. Injuries throughout the season and one of the worst back lines we've had, made for one of the worst in his career. He still managed to rise above it from time to time. Last year against Philly he played one of the better games I had even seen him in and he seemed to be playing well. Another injury at towards the end of the season halted the swing in form though.

After years of failed and constantly changing squads, he still managed to make a name for himself as one of the better keepers in the league. This year started out well for him too, as he was called in for the National team camp in January. After that, his preseason went well enough. Yet another squad to gel with, but they all looked to be making positive progression. It was already better than last year.

Then Rodriguez and Pauno got rid of Harry. Losing one of the few positive takeaways from all the years of endless disasters, our homegrown star. He represented the potential for things to get better.

That was a bitter pill, but results on the pitch were backing up the decision.

Lampson has been a back up throughout his time in MLS. In pre-season he apparently made such an impression that he picked up a contract, but also simultaneously overtook the number 1 spot from the guy who has been one of the few consistent players we have had.

In the season opener against NYCFC his performance was unimpressive, yet Pauno and Rodriguez are defending him because the defense as a whole was not really great in that match. Certainly an understandable concession, yet one they were not willing to make for a proven and beloved talent?

I am left wondering if this is not just about a decision that is best for the club - at least not in as much as it effects Nelson Rodriguez' primary concern - which seems to be increasing his chances of moving up the U.S. soccer ladder.

ugh the union game is on the live well network or whatever the fuck it is and it's not hd.

fix this shit garber

also Montreal without Drogba just won their second game 3-0 against Red Bull

imBask

Banned
that complete domination in the last 10 minutes was dirty as hell, for like 5 minutes straight we controlled the ball and the crowd went "heeyyy" at every pass

Cystm

Harry Shipp has been stellar so far for IMFC.

Today's game:

- 12/13 Completed
- 4 Key Passes
- 1 Assist

He had an assist last week as well.

The Galaxy get their deserved loss, Pappa with the stoppage-time winner for Colorado.

Now time to watch SKC/Caps

Lawl, Dwyer gets his second and Vancouver gets a red card.

Cystm

Houston has scored 4 goals in the first 45 minutes against Dallas.

Apparently I am wathcing the wrong damn game.

Maidana was bleeding profusely from the head at one point...

Mully

There is no God. Just pain and cock teases from Metro.

Seriously though there seems to be chemistry and strategy issues at the moment. We're last year's team playing against two squads who had a year to prepare for us. Maybe Veron was supposed to give us a different look this year, but how much could he have changed when our midfield has played so poorly?

We'll see how we do next week, but I'm nervous this is a trend.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There is no God. Just pain and cock teases from Metro.

Seriously though there seems to be chemistry and strategy issues at the moment. We're last year's team playing against two squads who had a year to prepare for us. Maybe Veron was supposed to give us a different look this year, but how much could he have changed when our midfield has played so poorly?

We'll see how we do next week, but I'm nervous this is a trend.

Yea, we really need to be more effective going forward. I think part of it is they know how our midfield works in this formation and where the prongs of attack are. If Veron changes our shape up then it might be enough.

Mully

Yea, we really need to be more effective going forward. I think part of it is they know how our midfield works in this formation and where the prongs of attack are. If Veron changes our shape up then it might be enough.

The look we had in preseason said we were a quicker, more aggressive team that focused more on small penetrating passes. We looked really good.

We've seen most of that now, but there's little execution in the final third of the field. I'm worried we're going to be the Liverpool of the MLS this year. We'll look great when we execute, but not be able to finish 90% of our chances.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The look we had in preseason said we were a quicker, more aggressive team that focused more on small penetrating passes. We looked really good.

We've seen most of that now, but there's little execution in the final third of the field. I'm worried we're going to be the Liverpool of the MLS this year. We'll look great when we execute, but not be able to finish 90% of our chances.

Oh god, I don't think I could take that. If we're not going to win anything I'd rather look like shit to be honest. At least then we'd have something to blame.

Hopefully Caldwell plays in the pivot from now on. Rowe cannot play there. Especially with our mobile back line. We are so exposed without a stable mid

Mully

Oh god, I don't think I could take that. If we're not going to win anything I'd rather look like shit to be honest. At least then we'd have something to blame.

If we execute with our finishes, we put less pressure on our defense which is exactly what we did during the beginning of last season. We pushed our opponent's buildup back to the 6 yard line during some games last year. We forced the other team to make mistakes in their defensive third while we had a lead and we capitalized on their mistakes to give us a bigger lead.

If we do that, but with a faster pace this year, we'll do as well as we did last year. What I'm worried about is that we don't rediscover that preseason chemistry that BWP and Veron had until the end of the season; or we continue to do well on quality buildups but are never able to finish (which is what happened against most squads at the end of last season, and against Philly during the US Open Cup).

We're a gimmicky squad with a one trick pony right now. I believe it's just early season chemistry issues, but I'm nervous it's an actual tactical flaw that will eat at us throughout the year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If we execute with our finishes, we put less pressure on our defense which is exactly what we did during the beginning of last season. We pushed our opponent's buildup back to the 6 yard line during some games last year. We forced the other team to make mistakes in their defensive third while we had a lead and we capitalized on their mistakes to give us a bigger lead.

If we do that, but with a faster pace this year, we'll do as well as we did last year. What I'm worried about is that we don't rediscover that preseason chemistry that BWP and Veron had until the end of the season; or we continue to do well on quality buildups but are never able to finish (which is what happened against most squads at the end of last season, and against Philly during the US Open Cup).

We're a gimmicky squad with a one trick pony right now. I believe it's just early season chemistry issues, but I'm nervous it's an actual tactical flaw that will eat at us throughout the year.

Agreed on all counts. Though, you can't be a one-trick pony without a tactical flaw. No matter how good that pony is, it's gonna have a flaw.

Mully

Agreed on all counts. Though, you can't be a one-trick pony without a tactical flaw. No matter how good that pony is, it's gonna have a flaw.

Hopefully we're able to give our back 4 and defensive middies some relief. We play our best when our defensive midfielders are able to play balls over the top in between the crosses and penetrating runs that our offensive side delivers. It's dessert for our strikers. Sweet balls over the top that lead to goals about 30% of the time. It forces defenders to be on their heels moreso than the press ever does.

We're at our best when RBNY's defense is able to contain an attack while the attacking midfielders are able to suppress an opposing team's press before it happens. Essentially Metro's defense is forcing the other team's charge into submission by constantly attacking. If RBNY's attack messes up, it's defense is able to contain a counter until it has numbers to oppose it. That said, if the attack can't execute on a run and the defense can't contain, the defense has a very difficult time with situational awareness and man marking. This is what we're seeing right now.

We're watching a team that is a one trick pony not able to perform its most popular jump because it constantly has to overperform for its mistakes. Unlike most teams, RBNY needs to focus on its attacking midfield and strikers to tackle its defensive issues at the moment.

If it can't address those issues, RBNY will be the 2015-2016 Liverpool squad.

Top Bottom