• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Meier

Oh come on Orlando, you've been killing it all game and you let that in?

Depressing shit -- ruined my Ramos CS bonus! Amazing game by Orlando last night though..everything was very fluid. Nice to have Kaka back. Hopefully he can keep his play somewhere near that level for most of the season. He tailed off a bit last year as the season progressed which is understandable.

Cyle pulling up with a hamstring was a big blow though. That's usually a month on the sidelines.

Cystm

Good read on the MLS Ref fuckery.

Kurtis Larson: MLS referees are out of control early in 2016 season

Another take from Will Parchman: A problem of skill, not of policing

You will notice something about each of the players doing the tackling and each of the players being tackled. If we can meditate on each of those things and what they mean in themselves, perhaps we take steps toward the destination on our collective map.
I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with 12 of the 16, and I am fungible on one more, perhaps two. These are not perfect numbers. They are human numbers. But there is no crisis here. There is no conspiracy. And there is certainly no grindstone upon which to lose your enamel.
This was a point of emphasis among PRO’s denizen’s this offseason, and we all knew it. To say this wasn’t always coming is a grave miscarriage of the facts.

Cystm

New U.S. Open Cup logo:

Old:

W6lnWPt.png

Dartastic

Not going to make excuses for how bad Portland sucked on Sunday. We sucked, straight up. However, it does suck that in 50% of our games this season an opponent has received a retroactive suspension. First Burrito, now Shea.

Like, no shit this is a red. https://streamable.com/opoo

Cystm

MLS Inaugural Match: San Jose Clash vs. D.C. United (April 6, 1996)

MLSsoccer: A league is born: An oral history of the inaugural MLS match

SI: The Birth of a League

With ownership set, the nascent league began determining just what things would look like on the field. Despite the World Cup’s success, soccer was still an outsider’s sport in the U.S. To counter that, the league considered some drastic measures.

Sunil Gulati (MLS Deputy Commissioner, 1994–1999; Current U.S. Soccer President): We had a number of think tank meetings to talk about what we could do to make the game more interesting.

Doug Logan (Commissioner, MLS, ‘96–99): They had another proposal to make throw-ins kick-ins.

But even those two rule changes were seen by players and aficionados as radical departures: Instead of the official time being kept on the field by the officials, each half ended with a buzzer. Instead of counting up to 90, the clock counted down to zero. And there would be no ties; shootouts started from 35 yards out and players had five seconds to dribble and shoot.

Brad Friedel (Goalkeeper, Columbus Crew): In one of my first games we drew 1-1, so I walked off the pitch and into the locker room. The equipment manager came in and said, “What are you doing? You have a shootout; nobody told you?” I did know; I had just completely forgotten. I had to put my shirt back on to go back out.

i9UQOC8UV1HEs.gif

It's going to be my cousin's first game. I made a bad decision.

It's Netflix and chill weather at my job in Gowanus right now. Hopefully a win can make today's weather feel better.

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards not going. I don't mind sitting in the cold but, if it's going to rain on top of that, it won't be fun. Parking would suck a lot more than it already does too.

Top Bottom