• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

imBask

Banned
One thing i've learned to appreciate since i've started watching soccer is when the announcers try to explain an "injury" on a play, eventhough the replay shows blatant faking

it feels like wrestling, I love it

Wound up going to the game.

+ Weather was fine. Just cold.
+ Parking lot wasn't a muddy mess.
+ Bought a sweet pom-pom hat.

- Lost. Again.
- Ref was garbage. Again.
- BWP taking penalties for some reason.
- SKC's goalie was on point.
- Took longer to get out of the parking lot when the game ended (40 min.) than to get home (30 min.).

This Dallas v SJ game is nuts. Bernardez just headed in an own goal.
I'll take the point on the road in Dallas, but giving up two equalizers sucks. San Jose defense didn't exactly cover themselves in glory last night. They need a replacement for Francis at left back. Hopefully Sarkodie is the guy.

Sup guys!

Trying out PS Vue which has a pretty incredible selection of soccer channels (all ESPNs, Fox Sports 1/2, Bein Sports, NBC Sports Network) with the Core package. I'm catching my Fire right now and holy shit NY's field is narrow!

How is that not a red? Guy gets a yellow and then motherfucker makes a challenge like that TWO minutes later?

And now a legit goal was waved off. *sigh* this fucking league.

And now a legit goal was waved off. *sigh* this fucking league.

I can see how it was waved off, the player that was offside on the flick header was playing the ball (even if he didn't put the ball in). If he was on the other side of the field where the ball wasn't, then it wouldn't have been an issue.

I can see how it was waved off, the player that was offside on the flick header was playing the ball (even if he didn't put the ball in). If he was on the other side of the field where the ball wasn't, then it wouldn't have been an issue.

Yeah replays show it was a good call. I can still bitch about the non-red though!

imBask

Banned
intense game nonetheless

i'd like to see the MLS get video review, being a progressive league could help it grow even faster

Cystm

This game is shit, but

Xw22ahs.gif

Cystm

De Jong took out Nagbe. He stomped on his ankle and got a yellow. DisCo will review it and later suspend him, but my blood is boiling.

l3V0k8XIECXx68m7S.gif

Alexi is such a fucking idiot

Stewie was RIGHT THERE. Sitting RIGHT NEXT TO HIM, and he just haaaadddd to say WELL SORRY DE JONG NEARLY MURDERED YOU AND STUFF I JUST DONT BELIEVE IN RETROACTIVE PUNISHMENT. Ffs man.

Dartastic

I swear to fucking god if I see Nigel De Jong in Portland I will fucking yell right in his face. That dirty piece of shit. I cannot express how furious I fucking am right now.

gutshot

In happier news, Pulisic looked really good against Schalke yesterday.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/wwxr.mp4

Here's a nice recap of the Pulisic situation from Deadspin:

You can count the number of soccer teams in the world better than Borussia Dortmund on one hand. Last season, the German club struggled with the loss of Robert Lewandowski and the impending loss of Jürgen Klopp and wound up with a sorry seventh-place league finish. One year later and they are back amongst the best of the best. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Henrikh Mkhitarayan, and Marco Reus have coalesced into one of the scariest attacking trios in Europe, and the club has scored as many league goals as Bayern this year. Behind them, İlkay Gündoğan and Shinji Kagawa pull strings as well as anyone in Germany.

In yesterday’s Revierderby against Schalke, Kagawa was the lone member of that front five to start. Alongside him was 17-year old American Christian Pulisic, who made his second Bundesliga start and was Dortmund’s second-best attacking player on the day. As an American teenager with a Croatian passport who’s now cap-tied to the USMNT, Pulisic comes with all sorts of symbolic baggage about big, serious topics like the Future Of American Soccer and How We Develop Players Now.
Which is to say Pulisic, right this minute, might be the best creative attacker we Americans have to offer, and his ability to conjure scoring opportunities for others and play as a dynamic attacking midfielder brings a genuinely new dimension to the fore.

The most successful American players tend to be fit, yet somewhat static players. They move forward, backward, and side to side as well as anyone, but those movements at hidden angles that only the deadliest attackers are able to drift along exist on a plane your average American is entirely oblivious to. Michael Bradley runs and gets to the right positions, but he’s short of smashing his way through, he’s completely unequipped to unlock entrenched defenses as a No. 10. The creative players in the pool are all either converted forwards (Clint Dempsey), out of position (Bradley), or not that good (Lee Nguyen). Whether or not Jürgen Klinsmann’s years-old proclamations about the United States playing beautiful poetic soccer is a worthwhile ideal, Pulisic is the type of player who theoretically makes it possible.

And he was tremendous in the derby. Pulisic is one of those rare players who somehow gets faster with the ball at his feet. He used that quickness and his impressive dribbling skills to lure defenders in, and either slipping away from the pressure with a series of sneaky little turns and flicks or baiting the poor soul opposite him into a foul. He’s not yet the finished article by any means, but he’s already shown that he belongs out there against one of the best teams in Germany.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/christian-pulisic-is-more-than-just-the-next-hyped-savi-1770345385

Meier

I feel a little bad for Zusi there because maybe he wasn't expecting something so combative -- who knows. I don't think it's a black and white issue. I'd imagine they're being paid more than most women's national team players, even those who are very successful in their own right (France, Germany, Japan, etc.).

One consideration that they have to look at is that the women's team generally plays more fixtures per year then the men's team. It's a shame that a number of the wiki pages for US players don't break out the number of caps per season like effectively every other nationality but generally speaking, the men's team plays an average of about 16 games a year the women play about 20-21 games or more a year with the NT. If they pay them the same per match, they'd have to explore whether or not the revenue is enough to pay them the same amount. They claim it's significantly lower so footing the bill for additional games would be a consideration.

Would they continue to subsidize the NWSL if they spent significantly more on the WNT? It's not an easy decision.

Top Bottom