• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

- SJ's Godoy and Quintero have their red card suspensions rescinded, so they'll be able to play against RSL on Friday.
- MLSSoccer has links to the USOC quarterfinal match streams this evening
The action kicks off at 7:30 pm ET, as New England host back-to-back USOC finalists Philadelphia in Cambridge, Mass.

Then at 8:30 pm ET, two more games kick off, with the Chicago Fire taking on the only non-MLS team left in the competition, the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers, and a special Texas Derby treat, with Houston hosting in-state rivals FC Dallas with a semifinal spot on the line.

The night's action wraps up with the LA Galaxy hosting the Seattle Sounders, with kickoff scheduled for 10:30 pm ET.

If Boyd, Jozy and Wood stay healthy we might actually have options at target striker for once.
I wonder if Sapong will get another look at some point. There's been some buzz about him recently.

- NY Post: Jack Harrison’s mom’s gamble created phenom who’s storming NYCFC

Notable at the end:
Harrison has enjoyed it so much he may want to stay permanently.

“I’m in final stage of green card,” he said. “I think it’ll be couple more months.

Harrison has never played for the England at any level and would be open to apply for citizenship here, perhaps to join the U.S. National Team in the future.

“Whoever would come first,” he said.

caramac

Ft4s6K9.gif

Minnesota United FC’s goalkeeper Sammy Ndjock scores an embarrassing own goal during a pre-season friendly match against AFC Bournemouth on Wednesday. Ndjock tries to throw the ball clear from his area, but it bounces on the ground and then into his goal. The final score was 4-0 to Bournemouth

Where the hell is he even throwing it? It looks like he threw it straight at the goal.

Ahhhhh. The rest of the country is finally seeing Sammy's comedic stylings. For every three jaw dropping saves he has a world class howler. Think it he was going for a long throw to the left side of the pitch and tried to stop himself spiking it into the pitch. Beautiful regardless.

Well ain't that some bullshit
Tannenwald had some context in the Inquirer:
At some point, Steffen put the word out that he wanted to come back to America. Columbus put Steffen on its Discovery List for this year - the list of foreign players that a club claims first dibs to be able to bring to MLS.

It is arguably the league's most inane and annoying rule, and it should be abolished. But that is for another column. The Crew played the rules right this time, and yes, that includes the ability to "discover" a former player for another MLS club's youth teams.

Here's why.

A few people who are well-versed in the rules and Steffen's background confirmed to me for this story that the Union indeed never offered Steffen a contract back in the day, and never even officially tried to claim Steffen for Homegrown Player eligibility.

I was also told that when Steffen left for Germany at the end of 2014, he had not logged enough time training with the Union to qualify for homegrown status at that point.

It bears repeating that the Union's full-blown academy structure had barely gotten off the ground at that point. So the ability to spend the required training time within the Union organization was restricted to a degree.

But this all answers the question of whether the Union can claim any compensation for the Crew signing one of their former prospects. They cannot, and should not, and they know it.

That won't stop people from dreaming about what could have been, though.
More via the link.

Cystm

Chicago isn't going to make any moves. They are going to bide out the rest of the season so they don't have to buy out remaining contracts and then cut everyone loose.

With the Revs grabbing the home advantage I doubt we can advance to the final. so this season is basically over for Chicago. Maybe we won't finish in last this season!
We will

2VC9uMlSDTZfO.gif

imBask

Banned
Eric Alexander was traded to the Dynamo today btw, apparently to make room for the return of Bernadello with the Impact

Surprised there hasn't been another goal in the Quakes-RSL game. Up and down action with lots of chances.

- Goal.com: Sources: Fabian Castillo closing in on Trabzonspor move
Fabian Castillo has been eyeing a move to Europe for some time and though FC Dallas has aspirations of winning the club's first MLS Cup title, the Colombian winger doesn't want to stick around for that, making a transfer inevitable.

Castillo is on the verge of having his wish for a move granted. FC Dallas is putting the finishing touches on a sale to Turkish club Trabzonspor for a transfer fee in the neighborhood of $3 million to $4 million, sources confirmed to Goal USA on Friday.
Would be a shame to lose a star like him, so I hope they get paid a little more than that in the end. Sounds like he wants to go.

Dartastic

Steven Taylor of Newcastle is rumored to be announcing his signing for Portland at halftime... Would be a good pickup for the backline.

Top Bottom