• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Mory Dunz

Pulisic is definitely one of the best players on the field. Holy shit.

He is.
He needs to learn when to release the ball though...

Uh oh...All RIght Morris coming on.

Honestly, if I were his coach, I would force him to only use his left foot for a practice a week.

Dartastic

Pulisic needs to start. Jesus Christ.
He is.
He needs to learn when to release the ball though...

Uh oh...All RIght Morris coming on.

Honestly, if I were his coach, I would force him to only use his left foot for a practice a week.
As if on que, he passes perfectly to Jozy for a goal. Lol.

Mory Dunz

As if on que, he passes perfectly to Jozy for a goal. Lol.

Yeah. It doesn't really contradict what I said though tbh.
At the endline, you really have no option but to cross it across the face of goal there, lest the ball runs out of bounds.

I'm talking more about when you're running at defenders in the middle of the field with runners ahead of you, and either you dribble too much or pass too late, wrong option, shoot, etc.

MORRIS LEFT FOOT
it begins...what a bad cross lol

Mory Dunz

Wow, great goal again.

Great intercept and run for Pulisic. The bad pass to Morris is kinda what I was talking about lol, but he basically made the goal.

Nice by altidore and nice finish.

Man. The kind of creativity and, I don't know, willingness to "try shit" is so rare in American players but Pulisic has it in spades.

Please don't jump to the EPL any time soon.

zroid

Banned
CAN just got away with one of the most blatantly offside goals I've ever seen

I'll take it I guess. Need like 3 more of those!

Man. The kind of creativity and, I don't know, willingness to "try shit" is so rare in American players but Pulisic has it in spades.

Please don't jump to the EPL any time soon.

For all the hype, Pulisic is actually legit. I mean LEGIT. He has a great touch, knows how to run at players, fearless, and just has good instincts. I haven't seen this much potential from an American young player since Landon Donavon 15-17 years ago. Pulisic also seems to have a bigger upside since he's able to survive (and hopefully thrive) in Europe, something Landon struggled to do.

I've been clowning on Jozy for the last two years, but it definitely seems he was just missing a Landon Donavon type player, someone who can draw defenders away from him, create space, and set him up.

The offense really did look great today. Just wish Nagbe got a chance to join the party.

Jordan Morris illustrating why I felt he was so much further away than Pulisic. Morris has 4 years on Pulisic and more national team experience yet he is the one who looks like a 17 year-old out there who's also hesitant to use his left-foot. Pulisic at 21 is going to be a world class player if he stays on his current trajectory. I agree though he just needs to stay away from the EPL and try to earn some consistent playing time at the club level. But since eh's 17/18 years-old, he still has a couple of years until he really needs to be getting full playing time. He's on the current track that most mid/top euro players are on in terms of development.

Hopefully Pulisic is the start of a youth wave in the US, instead of an isolated anomaly.

Welp, that's that. Please fire Floro, please stop selecting players without a club, please stop selecting players who play in the Norwegian 2nd division.

Maybe we can qualify for 2022. Ugh.

- MLS Analyst: Attacking movement drives USMNT into the Hexagonal
- ESPNFC: Altidore's goals and Pulisic's promise a boost to United States' prospects
- Sciaretta's player ratings for ASN
- Grant Wahl: Christian Pulisic provides spark, optimism in first USMNT start

U.S. SCHEDULE
Fri., Nov. 11: Mexico at home
Tues., Nov. 15: at Costa Rica
Fri., March 24, 2017: Honduras at home
Tues., March 28, 2017: at Panama
Wed., June 7 or Thu., June 8, 2017: T&T at home
Sun., June 11 or Mon., June 12, 2017: at Mexico
Fri., Sept. 1, 2017: Costa Rica at home
Tues., Sept. 5, 2017: at Honduras
Fri., Oct. 6, 2017: Panama at home
Tues., Oct. 10, 2017: at T&T

The June dates have not been finalized because Mexico is awaiting the Nov. 26 draw for the FIFA Confederations Cup, June 17 through July 2 in Russia.

gutshot

Alejandro Bedoya @AleBedoya17
Why @EricWynalda so bitter?
B/c of Harkes & that '98 World Cup, I played at better clubs, or not being able to get a job with MLS/USSoccer?��

I can take criticism. Last night I was off my game & not good enough but this dude has a well documented dislike for me that I don't get.

Never seen someone try so hard to remain relevant. Begging for coaching gig, TV commentator, analyst & a random radio show. Your a #HasBeen.

Holy shit. Ale going HARD.

Wynalda's been going off on Bedoya for a while. See his conversation w/ Jeff Carlisle last night as well as this interview. Not sure what's driving it.
While I have you, I figure I should ask what you make of Alejandro Bedoya's move to Philadelphia.

[I warned you this was coming, and here it is.]

Well, I've never wavered on this: I don't really feel that he's that great of a player. I've always questioned - well, not always, but at least at times, I've questioned his selection to the national team [for] some of the bigger games that he's had, even at the Gold Cup level.

You know, he's a guy that seems to be really likable, a lot of the guys on the national team consider him a friend. He loves to have an opinion about stuff. I think it might have been a little bit more of a personal decision to come home.

He had a couple of unfortunate plays the other night [in his Union debut at New England] - I know his team won 4-0, but I was watching him with a very analytical eye, and he didn't particularly play well at all. It will be interesting to see what kind of effect it has on him going forward, especially with the national team.

Because let's face it, when you're playing in Europe, for the current national team coach, his opinion is that if you're in Europe, that is better than playing in Major League Soccer. That is his opinion, he's said that on numerous occasions. And he's been influential with some players in telling them to go to Europe and not to play here. This decision from Alejandro will be serious, because Bedoya has been one of Klinsmann's favorites for a while.

Union manager Jim Curtin seems to want to play Bedoya in a deeper midfield role than Klinsmann played Bedoya in during the Copa América Centenario. Bedoya was at the top of the midfield triangle for the national team this summer. If he succeeds in a deeper role -

We'll see. When the United States national team plays against what I would call the second-tier teams, he's going to be able to have an influence on those kinds of games. And [they are] difficult battles as well. In the [World Cup] qualification process, Alejandro has always proved that he has the engine, and I think that hurts him sometimes because people want to take advantage of that engine and say, "Well, this guy can get back and go forward."

And when you have a couple of games where you want to solidify your defense but you still want to have the guy that can join the attack, he would certainly be that guy. But my opinion is that in big games against the better teams in the world, I think that might be one notch above his level.

I know that's pretty harsh, but that's just my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong. But he really hasn't done anything to date to prove it to me just yet.

But if he succeeds in a deeper midfield role for the Union, could that perhaps open a pathway for him to play that role with the national team, which in turn would free up minutes at the high midfield playmaker positions for someone like Darlington Nagebe or Christian Pulisic?

That was one of the criticisms of Klinsmann's use of Bedoya in the high role at the Copa América - not that Bedoya didn't contribute, because he did, but that him being in that role specifically was a major factor in Nagbe and Pulisic not getting much playing time.

The reasons for that [include] that if you were to test these guys on their "engine" and on their ability to oxidate their blood and all those tests they run - it's not just the VO2 Max and all that stuff they used to do. They do a whole bunch of stuff. They test your blood, they see what kinds of minerals you've got in there. All that stuff would put Alejandro Bedoya in first place. Which is the reason why he consistently makes it into the team.

Now, do I believe that there are better players out there in this country who in the offensive third will be able to have that little clever ability to break down and solve defenses, that are better options than him? I have to believe the answer to that is yes. But I think you get what you are asking for out of him: that's total commitment, all the time, and an ability to just run himself into the ground every game.

He gives everything, which is - it's always one of those stupid things where we always say, "Well, if I could only take that guy's heart and put it in the other guy's body," that kind of thing. He's in a unique spot, because he can prove himself to be a utility guy, but I don't know how impressed Jurgen will be with good performances in Major League Soccer. I'm just not sure how that all play out.

Cystm

Why @EricWynalda so bitter?
B/c of Harkes & that '98 World Cup, I played at better clubs, or not being able to get a job with MLS/USSoccer?��

I can take criticism. Last night I was off my game & not good enough but this dude has a well documented dislike for me that I don't get.

Never seen someone try so hard to remain relevant. Begging for coaching gig, TV commentator, analyst & a random radio show. Your a #HasBeen.

Holy shit. Ale going HARD.

The joys of social media. I can sympathize with both sides of this one, but they could be handling this is in a private discussion.

The Harkes comment is not cool. Regardless if Wynalda has a personal agenda (I don't think he does at all. Seems like he is just attempting to be a relevant media personality) Throw shade at him for being on satellite radio or his professional capabilities, but bringing that up just makes Bedoya look like an asshat.

Top Bottom