• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, so turning the phone's screen on is now minor. Good to know.

And I wasn't "dismiss all the great thing about the phone", I was pointing out that your perfect God metal phone does actually have a number of design problems. For some reason it's okay for people here to shit on Samsung phones all the time, and when I defend aspects of Samsung devices I like people call me a fanboy, but the Holy and Revered HTC One is inviolable and immune to any criticism. Right.
zero gaps in that logic

I find it laughable that 306 million users are still on Gingerbread or the 1.89 million people on Froyo. That's going by the 900 million Android devices out there being used.

How many of those did upgrade their phone though to an ICS/JB device? IIRC, this breakdown just tracks unique phones?

edit: oh it's tracking phones for a week. Yeah then it's still a lot. But JB is getting there.

When Key Lime Pie comes out, you'll be able to play 'wheres wally' with it on that chart.

Zeppu

Google should keep on calling every revision of Android in the future JellyBean just to shut up these stupid 'zomgs fragmented' comments forever.

I mean it's all only about the OS version, right? Doesn't matter if there's fragmentation in the features actually provided.

Nicktendo86

I see, so turning the phone's screen on is now minor. Good to know.

And I wasn't "dismiss all the great thing about the phone", I was pointing out that your perfect God metal phone does actually have a number of design problems. For some reason it's okay for people here to shit on Samsung phones all the time, and when I defend aspects of Samsung devices I like people call me a fanboy, but the Holy and Revered HTC One is inviolable and immune to any criticism. Right.

Call me crazy but I am actually not a fan of anodised aluminium unibody phones AT ALL. The chamfered edges on my gf's iphone I find to feel gross and rough, on the One I hate the little jut you can feel as you move your thumb from the screen to the metal speaker grills. I also hate plastic so my fave design is actually the glass of the iphone 4-Nexus 4. I know it is more fragile but don't fucking drop them and they will be fine.

Talon

The funny thing is that I'm not. Samsung just happen to give me things like microSD slot that the Holy and Godly HTC does not. So fuck HTC, and the other manufacturers who have ditched microSD slots on their flagship devices.
Blame Google and Android for deprecating its use through the Nexus program.

What are you guys doing with your SD cards? I mean, I used to be the same... "open standards" and all that. Then I realized I don't ever voluntarily take the card out of a device, and when I'm forced to, it's a hassle.

Blame Google and Android for deprecating its use through the Nexus program.

So why are Samsung (the most successful Android OEM), LG (number 2) and Sony (number 3) persisting with MicroSD and HTC (number 8) have decided to give up? There is some kind of correlation, maybe not enough to say causation, but when Sony ditched MicroSD slots in the NXT series their sales growth went down and their holdovers did poorly.

Husker86

What are you guys doing with your SD cards? I mean, I used to be the same... "open standards" and all that. Then I realized I don't ever voluntarily take the card out of a device, and when I'm forced to, it's a hassle.

I just use it for pictures since that's about all I can with the GS4. I got the 32GB version though and don't really care about it; I'm only using the card slot because I have a 32GB microSD from my Thunderbolt still. If I was still into custom ROMs I'd probably make more use of it, but I have finally gotten out of crack flashing and just simply root my stock ROM and call it good there.

Shambles

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/05/m...da-as-a-rogers-exclusive-available-in-august/

Rogers will have exclusivty for the Moto X in Canada and it looks like it's launching in August. So expect the official announcement soon I guess. Also LTE confirmed clearly.

Also I'm assuming this means carrier exclusivity and canadians will still be able to order online? Because who the fuck would sign a contract for this phone lol. Also lol at mobile syrups outdated rumoured specs, though imagine it did end up being like that.

You've got to be kidding me. And instantly the Moto X is completely irrelevant. Here's to hoping the Nexus 5 will be a lot more durable than the 4 since the X is off the list now.

ILoveBish

Photos, Music, Emulator stuff (PSP, PS1, etc are huge), Movies, etc etc. Would never purchase a phone without a microsd slot, and when 128 gig microsd's get cheaper, i will upgrade from my 64 gig.

gcubed

So why are Samsung (the most successful Android OEM), LG (number 2) and Sony (number 3) persisting with MicroSD and HTC (number 8) have decided to give up? There is some kind of correlation, maybe not enough to say causation, but when Sony ditched MicroSD slots in the NXT series their sales growth went down and their holdovers did poorly.

using an SD card in android is such a hassle that i doubt there is any correlation between sales and SD card support. There is very little for it to do besides external pictures and external music.

edit... this is coming from the US though, which admittedly is the only area that really has a full complement of google cloud services

gcubed

god, please... kill it, don't add support for it. Ruin it and use your market share to put it out of its misery. This rumored amazon phone is going to be FB Phone levels of terrible

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Was on Newgrounds last night, gonna suck when browsers remove Flash and 99% of those vids/games become unplayable.

Groof

So, um. I'm just messing around with vine. Um. How do I get/share a link to a vine...?

Don't think you can. At least not to my knowledge.

Speaking of, I was gonna try out Instagram's video feature today. But after recording it all I noticed the orientation was wrong (who can blame me for filming the way you should on a phone, in landscape) and there was no way to edit that directly from the app. So I wait til I get home, fix the video and notice there's no way to upload videos already saved. Now I'm sad.

kehs

Banned
Looks like Samsung won.

My dad wants a new phone, and he was debating the S4 and the N4. I asked him why not the One.

He was like pffffft, I need a real phone.

Looks like Samsung won.

My dad wants a new phone, and he was debating the S4 and the N4. I asked him why not the One.

i bet he does the same thing my mom does at family gatherings... swag it out with air gestures in the gallery... she just loooooooves that feature

Groof

Looks like Samsung won.

My dad got an S4 and not too long after he started coming to me complaining about how bloated it was with bullshit he doesn't need.

kehs

Banned
My dad got an S4 and not too long after he started coming to me complaining about how bloated it was with bullshit he doesn't need.

He already comes to me complaining about all the google bloat, so I'm used to it.

I told him to hold off a month or two until details of the MotoX uncovered. He seemed interested, he used to use Moto phones for a long time. startec

Groof

The Galaxy NX really looks like a cheap McDonald's toy. Dunno if it's just the video quality of this video though. Will definitely try it out if I see it in stores however.

You know, with Samsung implementing Knox in the new update, I have to say... HTC is being very friendly with the S-ON/S-OFF stuff. If Samsung insists on continuing to try to dictate what I can and cannot do with the device I bought, I'll make damn sure my next phone isn't a Samsung phone.

kehs

Banned
I've been jokingly calling the Play Store the Appstore the last couple of days, and Apple decided to end it's case today.

You know, with Samsung implementing Knox in the new update, I have to say... HTC is being very friendly with the S-ON/S-OFF stuff. If Samsung insists on continuing to try to dictate what I can and cannot do with the device I bought, I'll make damn sure my next phone isn't a Samsung phone.

what are you talking about? how do those two things even compare?

this_guy

Knox is their security system for IT use - to make the phone more secure like Blackberry. It separates your corporate data from the rest of the user data, so corporate IT can do a remote wipe on the sensitive information.

How does this affect HTC and make HTC better?

zedge

Go home you're drunk. ;)

What the hell?!? In what way is one related to the other!?!

Joke, guys. Some guys on XDA are flipping shit over it and have no idea what it's about. Aim was to parody some of them. There are like four update topics of random people with five posts coming in and flipping out about it.

To the staff's credit though, most are being deleted quickly. Go into one of them and refresh for a bit. One will probably crop up.

this_guy

Joke, guys. Some guys on XDA are flipping shit over it and have no idea what it's about. Aim was to parody some of them. There are like four update topics of random people with five posts coming in and flipping out about it.

To the staff's credit though, most are being deleted quickly. Go into one of them and refresh for a bit. One will probably crop up.

That makes sense. I would go over there but I don't want to be told to stop asking questions and instead to read the thread.

oh... i only visit the Sprint and TMobile GS4 boards... they already have deodexed prerooted roms for Spr and Tmo update hasn't dropped yet

oh... i only visit the Sprint and TMobile GS4 boards... they already have deodexed prerooted roms for Spr and Tmo update hasn't dropped yet

Wait, for the MK9 update? It was on the Sprint boards too. Keep refreshing. Haha.

Link to the rooted and deodexed sprint MK9 ROM? That way I can find it when I get home. Assuming you mean a flashable one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

EWmof.gif

JordanKZ

nexusae0_strippedstripped20130709132610-1373403660.jpg

Dear Nexus Gods,

Please make this the next Nexus device.

Yours,
JordanKZ

Seriously, apart from the UI skin and the bizarre on the back volume buttons, the G2 is a staggeringly good looking device.

They don't have the one for T-Mobile yet as T-Mobile hasn't released the update yet. You can however flash roms for the international i9505 variant if you are feeling adventurous. They've already gotten the updates for app2sd, smearing fix, etc in there.

Thanks. Haven't memorized it yet. How do the naming conventions work?

first letter = year... varies by device

second letter = month, A-L

number = day/build... some devices they used the day of the month it was built, others, they number it based on how many builds they did that month so 9 could be June 9th or 9th build in June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom