• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
I disagree with the above. Nova runs absolutely fine, and always has.

They are all good choices, Action Launcher is also really good and has some extremely useful features.

Yo..AOSP Browser. It would like, ya know, be really great if you opened new tabs in the background instead of making me have to minimize the new page and select the previous one.

Thanks. Other that, keep being awesome.
Mds1PrDl.png

Groof

I tried Nova out a couple of days ago because I was trying a specific homescreen setup out and man, going from the smoothness and the clean ass menus of Apex to Nova's laggy, overly cluttered mess they call a menu was jarring to say the least. A simple task such as changing an app icon was stupid and slow because of Nova's affinity of skinning and changing up every single menu option.
I switched back to Apex pretty quickly and haven't looked back.

Threi

notag
I tried Nova out a couple of days ago because I was trying a specific homescreen setup out and man, going from the smoothness and the clean ass menus of Apex to Nova's laggy, overly cluttered mess they call a menu was jarring to say the least. A simple task such as changing an app icon was stupid and slow because of Nova's affinity of skinning and changing up every single menu option.
I switched back to Apex pretty quickly and haven't looked back.

I can't say i've experienced that at all. I've run a number of homescreen setups, widget excessive or not, and Nova has always been the snappiest launcher. Apex has actually been the one that has chugged a little. Combine that with Apex having a hard time with grid sizes and I will always recommend Nova over Apex. Like I said though, both are good launchers.

I can't say i've experienced that at all. I've run a number of homescreen setups, widget excessive or not, and Nova has always been the snappiest launcher. Apex has actually been the one that has chugged a little. Combine that with Apex having a hard time with grid sizes and I will always recommend Nova over Apex. Like I said though, both are good launchers.

that's exactly why i switched to Nova. Apex had an issue with the layout i wanted to use. performance seemed to be the same, though two years ago when i tried the two, Apex was better in performance.

Groof

Yeah Apex does have a bit of issues with the grid sizes, but with a bit of tweaking I managed to get the exact same homescreen setup in Apex as in Nova. I guess the thing that irked me the most about Nova was the design language of the menus and stuff, just looks bad.

Honestly, it is very personal preference. Both are good, I prefer Apex. But they're both free so why not try both.

-PXG-

They are all good choices, Action Launcher is also really good and has some extremely useful features.

Mds1PrDl.png

I am so fucking stupid. I don't know how I missed it the first time I looked through the settings. Sheeeeeit. Thanks. Also, I event haven't seen you post in ages.

I'm using Nova right with with no issues. I tried Holo launcher and didn't notice any difference between that and Nova so switched back.

I really have no idea what the differences are supposed to be.

K WTF is with swiftkey underlining almost every single word in red even though it's spelled right. How do I fix this? I tried deleting the app data and redownloading the english (US) language pack and it did nothing. Guess I'll try uninstalling the app altogether now.

edit: didn't help...

-PXG-

Besides being big, it's under specced. Three subpixels per pixel but still 720p. Everything else is bullshit. The pricing will be stupid. Just wait and see.

-PXG-

OK So I'm about to do this. First time doing this sort of thing on my phone.

I'm trying to follow the guide and stuff, but is there a way to back up my stuff in case I fuck it up?

What happens if I DO fuck it all up?

Back up your current ROM with ROM Manager, Titanium, Recovery mode, ect. Or use Odin in case shit really goes down

Odin will revert your phone back to factory settings, as in, just as it was when you first used it.

Unicorn

Back up your current ROM with ROM Manager, Titanium, Recovery mode, ect. Or use Odin in case shit really goes down

Odin will revert your phone back to factory settings, as in, just as it was when you first used it.

Man, now i'm starting to feel intimidated by this haha. Without my phone I'm kind of fucked.

kehs

Banned
so whats the reason for me having to install an extra application just so i can connect my n4 to my macbook air?

Salsa

found another screen "issue"

basically on some shades of color, like gray and whatnot, there's these vertical lines across the screen. Basically lines that are the same color displayed on the screen but brighter.

there's like 3 or 4, one being the most noticeable, and they are kinda bent? not straight, but go from top to bottom

anyway, its my first experience with amoled so again, im not sure how random it can be. Warranty here is pretty shitty, so I gotta make the gamble of either keeping it or try to exhange it (wich likely wont happen since they only check if the phone works fine afaik). Thing is idk what are the odds of the exchange having the same issues

so I might just deal

its very noticeable, for example, on something like Canabalt's main menu, wich is all shades of grey. Almost like fat uneven scanlines

galaxy S3 btw

-PXG-

Thanks. It's rooted and I'm downloading the Nightly 10.2 CMod.

I have the 10.1.x stable. is it worth going for nightly?

EDIT:
maybe choosing to backup 11k SMS wasn't such a good idea.

Go straight to CM 10.2. Don't waste your time on older builds. Make sure it's a fresh, clean install. There is a 20130813 build of gapps floating about. Ignore the build from 20130726. There are links all over XDA for that or just Google it. Keep in mind those are for 4.3 only. They will not work on 4.2.2 builds or lower.

Titanium backup and SU might be fucked on 4.3 . There are fixes for them but I don't know of they're universal or device specific. Kernels, radios and mods can improve performance, signal and battery life. Just very careful. I installed a sound booster mod (Sammy devices have shitty sound output) the other day that froze my phone whenever I made calls. I had to do a full wipe to reverse it. Huge pain the ass. Something seemingly simple can cause unforseen issues. Be careful. Be sure to read asuch info and impressions as possible.

Unicorn

Thanks for the help. Doing a backup right now, but will then go for the nightly and I did find the right gapps zip.

I don't think I'll be messing with any of that other stuff right now. I think stock JB will be enough of an upgrade for me for a while. At least until I get more comfortable with this sort of thing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm still running CM 10.1. It doesn't sound like all the kinks with 10.2, hell, 4.3, are worked out yet.

Unicorn

I'm still running CM 10.1. It doesn't sound like all the kinks with 10.2, hell, 4.3, are worked out yet.
Here's a rundown of my gripes so far after about 2 hours of using 10.2

-Cant hide apps in drawer
-Can't edit contacts (forgot to update my contacts so I lost some people) meaning I can't add numbers or delete other people I no longer talk to
-No way to turn off the capacitive button lights (s3)
-Default browser isn't as good as the default on s3
-Can't set pages to loop (scroll right and eventually be on the page I started (home screen or drawer)
-Can't scroll through drawer pages quickly by grabbing tiny scroll bar like I used to. Have to swipe, swipe, swipe
-lock screen is pretty wonky.

Probably more things I haven't run into yet or i forgot.

-PXG-

Here's a rundown of my gripes so far after about 2 hours of using 10.2

-Cant hide apps in drawer
-Can't edit contacts (forgot to update my contacts so I lost some people) meaning I can't add numbers or delete other people I no longer talk to
-No way to turn off the capacitive button lights (s3)
-Default browser isn't as good as the default on s3
-Can't set pages to loop (scroll right and eventually be on the page I started (home screen or drawer)
-Can't scroll through drawer pages quickly by grabbing tiny scroll bar like I used to. Have to swipe, swipe, swipe
-lock screen is pretty wonky.

Probably more things I haven't run into yet or i forgot.

Get the latest version of AOSP Browser and get Apex Launcher.

Groof

Though honestly unless you're typing in English its word prediction is pretty horrid.
But I can't go away from dat butter.

Sony Honami Mini is looking fairly amazing. Surely to please those who dislike the bigger devices but want decent specs

http://www.svartling.net/2013/08/here-is-specs-of-sony-honami-mini.html?m=1

Snapdragon 800 baby

My post from a week ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75811067&postcount=316

Just rumours.

This is what I have heard so far, but is subject to change.

4.3" 720p AH-IPS (same tech as ZU), Triluminous.
~1.9GHz S800
2GB RAM
16GB+microSD
~2600mAh
9mm thickness
"Sense of Quartz" I think this means the sides are cut to 45 degree angles which makes the phone easier to handle
Metal and glass construction
IP58
Omnibalance design, top and bottom bezels are about 12-14mm, side bezels are 2mm
Stereo speakers, similar to i1 in design, but one on the top as well now instead of L/R being next to each other on the bottom.

No word on the camera, I figure they will use the same 20.7MP 1/2.3", but it could be too big. There is a 16MP 1/3.07" sensor in reserve, so that could be used instead.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I hate the fact that I type so slow using the Google Keyboardd even after trying it out for a solid week. SwiftKey for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom