• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBP

Mine is rooted and has a GE Rom flashed onto it. Still can't move anything there. no idea how to do it, cant find answers on xda or anywhere. Very frustrating.

ES File Manager doesn't seem to allow me to move apps

I don't have an S4 but I have had good luck with these two apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slf.ListglApp&hl=en

GL to SD specifically mentions the S4 in update notes, so I am guessing that means it should work.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 16gb S4 doesn't allow me to move apps to the SD card. Google Play Music doesn't allow you to store music on the SD card. I have a 32gb SD card and nothing at all to put on it
I don't know. Ask Faceless. He's all about the SD.

SimleuqiR

Am I weird because I think the fact that the Moto X arrives already set up is one of the most appealing features of the phone?

The phone has many appealing features. The price is not one of them though. I think that's what's turning people off.

I think it's a good reboot point for Moto. And who knows, maybe the less tech savvy buyer will eat up the phone with the proper marketing.

Moto-X-review.002.png

Moto-X-review.003.png

Moto-X-review.005.png

Moto-X-review.004.png

Moto-X-review.008.png

LtNDbKz.png

SHOCKING NEWS.

kehs

Banned
Dock for the Moto X shown on their site.

No big deal right? Well, it apparently takes into accounts that people use cases and it can accommodate up to 2mm cases. That's pretty cool. I think Moto is headed in the right direction with their appeal.

Still a little on the expensive side though.

http://www.motorola.com/us/accessor...o-X-by-Griffin/griffin-power-dock-moto-x.html

Also free skips for orders placed through moto maker. http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/1...will-be-free-at-launch-with-motomaker-orders/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I should be able to do the Skip feature with my N4, Tasker, and an NFC tag, right?

malfcn

in the TLOU Kmart thread i clicked on a link to Frys. While closing the tab I saw some offer icon float around and fall off the screen. Wtf was that.

And why don't swear words come in phone dictionaries.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
720P Screen

Thank you. I was literally about to post the same thing.

Benchmarks are bullshit since they're not the same resolution. Or are they? Does it scale to the phone's resolution? 720? 1080 or some other oddball amount?

It wins the off-screen GPU benchmarks too (which don't take resolution into account), as well as Kraken (a JavaScript speed test.)

-PXG-

I'm new to flashing roms, if I put on cm 10.2 with gapps will they auto update or do I need to do it manually?

The Store will update on its own. I don't know how or when, but it does. Stuff like Phone, SMS and Gallery are updated manually through installing gapps. I don't think the get OTA updates.

Quasar

The phone has many appealing features. The price is not one of them though. I think that's what's turning people off.

You know unless people are talking about the off contract price I don't really get the upset. The upfront cost of a phone is almost incidental to the total cost.

thespot84

If we've actually moved beyond "BECAUSE SPECS" as the gripe for the price, and onto "it should be cheaper because the parts aren't as expensive"...

Are the parts that much less expensive? What's the price to moto for a 1080p vs 720p screen? Even with markup included, have the prices of 'last years' parts come down 30% already? 40%, 50%???? If we were to demand moto sell us a phone at 1/2 the price of the flagships, and we assume something like a 2.85x margin (apparently the S4 is ~$225 to build, and retails for $640. I guess most of that is samsungs gigantic marketing budget), prices for the hardware would have to be a mere fraction of what's in the s4.

If we want off contract for $400, since there's a huge $500MM marketing budget, let's assume the 2.8x margin. That means the total BOM + manufacturing for the motox would be: $400/2.8=$140. That's $85 less, 62% of the costs of the S4, meaning that 'last years parts' have come down 39% in price. That sounds a bit unbelievable.

Consider, further, that there are only 2 parts where Moto made a decision to use 'last year's' instead of top of the line, the screen and the processor. The screen in the S4 was $75, and the processor was $20, $95 dollars between the two. Since most of the other parts are the same or comparable, that means that the MOTO WOULD HAVE TO PAY NEGATIVE $10 FOR THE TWO to get to $140 from $225.

Even if the Screen and Proc savings were as much as HALF (i find that to be unlikely, happy to be proven wrong), that's $47.50 in savings over the S4, a cost of $225-$47.50=$177.50*2.85=$505 retail.

Unless someone shows me otherwise I can't see the justification for the price gripe. Samsung isn't passing shit along to you, the customer, at a 2.85x profit margin (all marketing).

I could make the argument based on these numbers that the moto X at it's current price is actually a FEAT given US vs China labor rates.

TehPabz

I just got my galaxy s4! One thing I did notice is that if Secure my phone with a pattern I cant slide to unlock. It just goes directly to the pattern unlock. I also cannot add weather to my lockscreen kinda like on the s3. Anybody have a solution?

thespot84

If I'm listening to a track in Google Play Music on a Chromebook and pause it, shouldn't I be able to resume it on my Android phone?

my phone and computers don't talk to each other wrt what google music is doing. I've only seen behavior like that with youtube unfortunately.

kehs

Banned
I don't need a phone, I don't want to pay over $300 for a phone.

But for some reason...I want this phone. what the heck?

Cipherr

720P Screen

Offscreen benches don't give an advantage to the 720p screen. Its just flat out performance. Its impressive.

I also want a 1080p screen on my next phone, but it IS interesting how the X benches so well, and is immediately written off/excused or whatever despite it. It clearly performs very well.

reKon

Banned
Offscreen benches don't give an advantage to the 720p screen. Its just flat out performance. Its impressive.

I also want a 1080p screen on my next phone, but it IS interesting how the X benches so well, and is immediately written off/excused or whatever despite it. It clearly performs very well.

I wasn't suggesting it doesn't. I was just under the impression that this was one of the reasons that it was scoring so much higher.

-PXG-

I just got my galaxy s4! One thing I did notice is that if Secure my phone with a pattern I cant slide to unlock. It just goes directly to the pattern unlock. I also cannot add weather to my lockscreen kinda like on the s3. Anybody have a solution?

You can only have one type of lock screen. Slide, pattern, face, pin, password, none, ect.

As for weather.... I was only on TW for a few hours. I'm pretty sure you can have weather info, as long as you use a slide to unlock lock screen (the default one) I rooted mine and installed a custom ROM the night I got it. CM let's you display weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom