• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiKeD

Banned
Xperia V? I don't know where you live but I jusr bought one to replace my HTC One and it was $400NZ so about $280 US. (Plus, waterproof)

Belgium. The V costs over 400 Euro, so that's almost twice the price you mentioned lol.

Why can't we get the Nexus cheaply straight from Google Play or something. Hate that shit.

Should be interesting to see how closely the design of the Nexus 5 mirrors the G2, assuming the G2 is the basis of the 5.
it would go against google's own words considering they've said they want to focus on devices that aren't huge and all that. Honestly I expect the nexus 5 to be very close to the moto x in a lot of ways.

Or not. Hard to tell.

Google should base the Nexus 5 on the Premier 2013 Android Mobile Flagship Handset, the Samsung Galaxy Note III

instead, i'm expecting a Nexus 4 refresh that's just the Moto X hardware running stock AOSP

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google should base the Nexus 5 on the Premier 2013 Android Mobile Flagship Handset, the Samsung Galaxy Note III

J+Jameson+laughing+Meme+peter+parker+spider+man.gif

Groof

I think they've got a clear enough vision of where android is heading to make a proper Google phone now, that not only takes advantage of the software but contains hand picked hardware that they think would be best suited for the task.

instead, i'm expecting a Nexus 4 refresh that's just the Moto X hardware running stock AOSP

The Moto X and the Nexus serve completely different purposes. The Moto X is a mass market device, while the Nexus is a niche product.

I can't imagine they'll have much in common, even if it the Nexus 4's successor ends up being made by Motorola (which I doubt). Unless Google wants to completely piss off the Nexus' already small target audience, it will be much more powerful than the X.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Motorola is Google and has been since the conception of the X.

They're like a first party game developer now.

Cipherr

No. Good spin, though.

Well its not designed by Google, not fully influenced either, they have said we won't see that direction fully until the phones next year. But its clear that the X is the start of the breakaway from the old Moto and into the new Google Motorola. Its a start but they have indeed said that the full transition will be more apparent with next years phones after the completely clear the pipeline.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

gcubed

Still no. Repeating the same statement doesn't make it any more true. See the response below your comment from Cipherr, which is more accurate.

You repeating the opposite doesn't make you right. Andrex is right and cipherr is wrong, the X is the first googlerola phone. They've repeatedly said such

Thinking about getting a Nexus 7 Tablet tomorrow with some birthday money. Don't suppose there are any good writing apps available? Is the touch good enough to do some drawing? Any good apps for that?

Otherwise it'd mainly be an internet/game machine. No desire to watch TV or movies or take pictures on it. Worth it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've seen 8/10s from basically every review that puts a score at the end, and the closing comments don't ever contradict calling it a "good phone."

Cipherr

You repeating the opposite doesn't make you right. Andrex is right and cipherr is wrong, the X is the first googlerola phone. They've repeatedly said such

Look... I mean, Im basing my posts off of what executives from Google themselves have said. Im not completely sure whether or not anyone here has any inside sources that say or prove otherwise, but this is what they have said:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/28/google-cfo-says-the-motorola-pipeline-doesnt-wow/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/28/4...torola-pipeline-arent-wow-by-google-standards

Common wisdom would suggest that executives talk up their existing device lines to keep customers buying until the next generation is ready. Leave it to Google CFO Patrick Pichette to think outside the box, if not necessarily for the better. He told guests at the Morgan Stanley Technology Conference that the current roster, while good, doesn't "'wow' by Google standards" -- it reflects the 18-month device pipeline that fell in Google's lap when it acquired Motorola last year. As such, we won't see the full fruits of collaboration until Google has owned Motorola for long enough to put its own spin on products. While the remarks stoke the fires of anticipation for any future flagships, they may have unintentionally produced an Osborne Effect: however advanced Motorola's phones will be in the near term, customers may still have the nagging suspicion that something better is just around the corner.

When questioned on where things stand with Motorola at the moment, Pichette didn't mince words. "We've inherited 18 months of pipeline that we actually have to drain right now, while we're actually building the next wave of innovation and product lines," he said. Google executives have mentioned these prior commitments in the past, and Pitchette's comments suggest we've yet to reach the pipeline's end. "We have to go through this transition. These are not easy transitions."

They have gone as far as to say that the first efforts of those collaborations won't be all that significant in terms of 'wow' factor, but that it would improve over time. 18 months from the time of those quotes would put us right about in 2014.....

So... I mean.... where are you getting that its wrong? Unless you all are debating strictly on whether or not Motorola is owned by Google. That much is a fact, the only thing I was commenting on is where the first Moto devices (the X) stood in regards to Googles influence on the hardware and software.

Beats is looking to drop HTC.

Beats By Dre Looks to Drop HTC
The fledgling audio-products company is now in talks with an investor that could provide debt financing and possibly take a minority ownership stake in the coming weeks, the people familiar with the matter said. Beats also hopes to buy out struggling Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC Corp.'s 2498.TW -0.65% 25% stake in the company.

Beats officials declined to disclose details of the upcoming investment, including the identity of the new investor. An HTC spokeswoman wouldn't comment on whether HTC plans to sell its stake in Beats.

Two years ago, Mr. Iovine and Dr. Dre sold a 50.1% stake in Beats Electronics to HTC for around $300 million, to only a year later buy half of that back for around $150 million—a discount given Beats' substantial growth in the intervening months.

HTC incorporated audio software from Beats into a line of phones, and other phones were bundled with Beats headphones. HTC last year also provided Beats with a one-year, $225 million loan that was secured by all of Beats' assets, according to HTC's annual report.

That loan was recently replaced with an interim loan that is due in July 2014, according to an early August report from credit ratings firm Standard & Poor's, which said Beats still needs to develop "a viable refinancing plan" in the coming months.

HTC's fortunes faded amid tougher competition in the smartphone market from companies like Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE -0.69% HTC's shares have lost nearly 90% of their value since April 2011, when HTC was second only to Apple in U.S. smartphone sales.

While HTC originally saw Beats as a way to court the youth market, the collaboration ended up souring with differences in opinion on strategy, said a person with knowledge of the partnership.

Earlier this year, Beats approached HTC about selling its remaining stake, according to a person familiar with the matter.
online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424127887323423804579020692100040648-lMyQjAxMTAzMDEwODExNDgyWj.html#

Nicktendo86

The Moto X and the Nexus serve completely different purposes. The Moto X is a mass market device, while the Nexus is a niche product.

I can't imagine they'll have much in common, even if it the Nexus 4's successor ends up being made by Motorola (which I doubt). Unless Google wants to completely piss off the Nexus' already small target audience, it will be much more powerful than the X.

I wish the new Nexus was based on the Moto X, would make me keeping my N4 that much easier.

A Sony executive in Japan basically confirmed a 4.x" version of their flagship platform (S800, 2GB RAM). Interview with Nikkei.

Q1 guys. CES reveal. The true mini Android flagship. It's coming.

gcubed

Look... I mean, Im basing my posts off of what executives from Google themselves have said. Im not completely sure whether or not anyone here has any inside sources that say or prove otherwise, but this is what they have said:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/28/google-cfo-says-the-motorola-pipeline-doesnt-wow/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/28/4...torola-pipeline-arent-wow-by-google-standards

They have gone as far as to say that the first efforts of those collaborations won't be all that significant in terms of 'wow' factor, but that it would improve over time. 18 months from the time of those quotes would put us right about in 2014.....

So... I mean.... where are you getting that its wrong? Unless you all are debating strictly on whether or not Motorola is owned by Google. That much is a fact, the only thing I was commenting on is where the first Moto devices (the X) stood in regards to Googles influence on the hardware and software.

Because those are from February and all the Google/Motorola quotes and stories around the reveal of the X say it was the first phone of googlerola

A Sony executive in Japan basically confirmed a 4.x" version of their flagship platform (S800, 2GB RAM). Interview with Nikkei.

Q1 guys. CES reveal. The true mini Android flagship. It's coming.

I want to get excited, I really do, but until I see a Sony phone appear in the US in a timely manner I really can't get excited

Groof

No matter, I look forward to the first, true Google phone with no manufacturer branding. A phone where instead of HTC, Samsung, LG or Motorola it just said Google. The true Nexus vision.

gcubed

No matter, I look forward to the first, true Google phone with no manufacturer branding. A phone where instead of HTC, Samsung, LG or Motorola it just said Google. The true Nexus vision.

That'll never happen unless there are some big changes in android land.

I want to get excited, I really do, but until I see a Sony phone appear in the US in a timely manner I really can't get excited

I have heard interest in this device is very, very high. AT&T and T-Mobile should be on board (and in line with the global launch) and Sprint are still in talks. VZW are not. A bunch of regional carriers should get it also, but not at the same time as AT&T/T-Mob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom