• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiKeD

Banned
My little Xperia finally died. Fell in the water twice, yet kept on going strong. It was my first first smartphone.

Now that I'm short on money, I need to get a cheap emergency device which can still do its job. Don't really need all the super high-end stuff on my phone nor too much social integration shit. I was thinking about the HTC Desire C or Sony Xperia E on the lower end of my budget and the Xperia M or S3 Mini on the high end.

Anyone got any recommendations, doesn't have to be one of the phones mentioned above.
Thanks.

My little Xperia finally died. Fell in the water twice, yet kept on going strong. It was my first first smartphone.

Now that I'm short on money, I need to get a cheap emergency device which can still do its job. Don't really need all the super high-end stuff on my phone nor too much social integration shit. I was thinking about the HTC Desire C or Sony Xperia E on the lower end of my budget and the Xperia M or S3 Mini on the high end.

Anyone got any recommendations, doesn't have to be one of the phones mentioned above.
Thanks.

Don't get the Desire C. Its too old of a device to get now. Get the Samsung Galaxy Ace II X. It's about the same price but with a bigger screen and better hardware.

tzare

Thanks.
check lg optimus L7 II, it is cheap and decent.

MNC

Is there an app that syncs podcast downloads and progress or whatever through a google account? I hate having to scrub to search after a new rom install

Groof

Is there an app that syncs podcast downloads and progress or whatever through a google account? I hate having to scrub to search after a new rom install

PocketCasts has its own account system with cross-device syncing, but it costs a few bucks. I'd say it's totally worth it though.

L034

play store swiftkey, and not just in the browser it's anywhere. Even when I sms. Almost every word is underlined red. OS is whatever HTC One is on these days.

Is your OS language the same as your Swiftkey language?

I have this problem when I type in French on my Nexus 4 (in english)

You can disable system autocorrect IIRC

Is your OS language the same as your Swiftkey language?

I have this problem when I type in French on my Nexus 4 (in english)

You can disable system autocorrect IIRC
they were different, settings showed english (canada) but swiftkey was english (us) because there was no canada. So I changed settings to english (us) and that didn't solve it. Turning off spell check in settings fixes it but then it doesn't underline any words at all, even the ones spelled wrong.

Thanks.

Xperia M, it's a nice phone and has Android 4.2.2, the others have 4.0 or 4.1 plus it has dual core Krait so it's the strongest of the three.

L034

they were different, settings showed english (canada) but swiftkey was english (us) because there was no canada. So I changed settings to english (us) and that didn't solve it. Turning off spell check in settings fixes it but then it doesn't underline any words at all, even the ones spelled wrong.

Check the spell checker language.

L034

where is that?

Language > Spell Checker.
There is a settings button next to it

b1xNfeG.png

Language > Spell Checker.
There is a settings button next to it
when I tap on language & keyboard in the settings there is something that says Post Spelling Check. Then I tap on that and there is just 2 check boxes for HTC sense input correction (checked off) and google spell checker (not checked off).

HTC one doesn't seem to have spell checker language there unless I'm blind.

L034

when I tap on language & keyboard in the settings there is something that says Post Spelling Check. Then I tap on that and there is just 2 check boxes for HTC sense input correction (checked off) and google spell checker (not checked off).

I don't have a HTC One, so I can't help you with that

Groof

Is there a globe next to either one of those? Because that's how you change spell check language on a N4.

I don't have a HTC One, so I can't help you with that
ahh yeah don't have that setting

Is there a globe next to either one of those? Because that's how you change spell check language on a N4.
nope

but I just changed to google spell checker, it totally glitched out my phone but then I changed it back to HTC spell checker and it looks like the problem resolved itself. No more underlining every word. And wrong spellings still underline. Wooooo.

3phemeral

Any feedback on what the best launcher is? I'm having trouble deciding on what to use on my new Nexus 7.
I also recommend Nova. I would also say Action Launcher for its simplicity and the fact that I love the quick swipe-from-left app-drawer function, but I've had performance issues with it, shockingly. Nova has been consistently smooth for me, has a lot of features, supports a lot of icon pack types, allows for a heavy amount of customization if you care to spend the time on it.

MiKeD

Banned
You should really get the experia z judging on how your old experia died. Lol

Don't get the Desire C. Its too old of a device to get now. Get the Samsung Galaxy Ace II X. It's about the same price but with a bigger screen and better hardware.

check lg optimus L7 II, it is cheap and decent.

Xperia M, it's a nice phone and has Android 4.2.2, the others have 4.0 or 4.1 plus it has dual core Krait so it's the strongest of the three.

Thanks for the replies. Still on the fence here, though.
Probably won't even decide until I actually got the devices in my hand.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm seriously considering making the move to Android. The S4 looks so nice and I love how user-orientated Android is. I'm currently on iOS7 Beta 6, which is also pretty nice, on an iPhone 5. I just need to find something to give me that final push.

reKon

Banned
If the Nexus 5 ended up being the perfect phone for me (meaning camera as good as S4, smaller or same size as my HTC One, and 2800+ mAh battery, and nice deisgn) I think I would actually decide to trade in the HTC One and jump on that one because I essentially got the HTC One for free because of work and being able to expense cell phone bills. I would then hope that it would be available at T-Mobile for launch of it was the God-tier phone. The only thing is that people at work would start thinking there's something wrong with me for switching phones every 4-5 months lol.

If the Nexus 5 ended up being the perfect phone for me (meaning camera as good as S4, smaller or same size as my HTC One, and 2800+ mAh battery, and nice deisgn) I think I would actually decide to trade in the HTC One and jump on that one because I essentially got the HTC One for free because of work and being able to expense cell phone bills. I would then hope that it would be available at T-Mobile for launch of it was the God-tier phone. The only thing is that people at work would start thinking there's something wrong with me for switching phones every 4-5 months lol.
same man. A good nexus phone is seemingly so easy to make. Smaller in size, solid battery. y so hard. If they do that I'm selling my phone and getting it asap.

reKon

Banned
I thought the rumor was that Nexus 5 will be based on the G2? In which case I have no interest in a 5.2" phone.

I would look more into the overall body size and not screen size. The Moto X has 4.7 screen and is more compact than all these other phones. A 5.2 inch Nexus could actually end up being the same size an S4 or smaller (remember that the S4 hardware button at the bottom takes up space).

vdlow

seems like some major cyanogenmod drama is going to go down :S

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44746084&postcount=548

trying to go commercial seems like a terrible idea, i'm not sure what they think they could sell to OEMs. I can't think of any end user features they have done that aren't trivial, most of their work seems to be reverse engineering/hacking devices to run aosp.

Wow, that's interesting. Let's see how this story goes through the week.

Based on G2 doesn't mean much. N4 was based on G1 wasn't it, and the only ways it was similar was the specs lulzzz. By specs I mean processor/battery/camera and no so much screen size/design.

Groof

Based on G2 doesn't mean much. N4 was based on G1 wasn't it, and the only ways it was similar was the specs lulzzz. By specs I mean processor/battery/camera and no so much screen size/design.
It did share a similar design language (speaker placement etc) and materials (glass back etc) though.

It did share a similar design language (speaker placement etc) and materials (glass back etc) though.
I don't remember the optimus G having a glass back. I thought that was only the N4. I remember reading some reviews saying they weren't sure if it was glass or plastic but it felt like plastic.

or something.

Groof

I don't remember the optimus G having a glass back. I thought that was only the N4. I remember reading some reviews saying they weren't sure if it was glass or plastic but it felt like plastic.

or something.
I'm pretty sure the Optimus G had a glass back as well. Looking at pictures of it you can easily see the similarities.

Ah yeah you're probably right on that one. Even still the phones did look pretty different.

Would be sick if google used that no bezel design on a 4.5 to 4.7 inch phone. Could be smaller than the moto x.

reKon

Banned
HNNNGGG. Look at that minimal wasted space. Take notes Apple:

lg-g2-1.jpg

Speaker placement is that the bottom too rather than the back, which is nice.

catmincer

Thanks for the replies. Still on the fence here, though.
Probably won't even decide until I actually got the devices in my hand.

Xperia V? I don't know where you live but I jusr bought one to replace my HTC One and it was $400NZ so about $280 US. (Plus, waterproof)

I'm pretty sure the Optimus G had a glass back as well. Looking at pictures of it you can easily see the similarities.

It did. Plus if you laid the G down on a flat surface it completely covered the speaker at the back and stopped all sound coming out whatsoever. Genius design lol

HNNNGGG. Look at that minimal wasted space. Take notes Apple:

lg-g2-1.jpg

Speaker placement is that the bottom too rather than the back, which is nice.

Apple probably won't invent a no-bezels phone for another few years. When they do though, suddenly it will become the most important thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom