• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EWmof.gif
16:9
p0QHO.gif

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
New YouTube update is awesome as fuck. Looks really slick. Liking it a lot. One thing though, I have screen rotation off, and when I press the button to rotate the video to landscape it works fine. However, I don't see a progress bar at the bottom so I can't skip to any part of the video I want. Unless I'm blind, it's not there.

kehs

Banned
Wait, I thought it was known that the MotoX is the first phone fully under Google control?

Page/Schmidt/New CEO have mentioned it numerous times.

Wacom with DAT $1500 ANDROID TABLET - and it's only 16GB onboard too, ahahaha

13HD and house a 13.3-inch TFT LCD display with 1,920 x 1,080 resolution serving up a 700:1 contrast ratio and 16.7 million colors

it features both a NVIDIA GPU and quad-core Tegra 4 processor, 2GB RAM and HDMI input with 16GB and 32GB options. The former will dock your wallet for $1,499 while the latter clocks in at $1,599. MicroSD slots are included on the entire lot, should the need arise to wrangle a memory card or two. Across the board you'll also encounter a 8-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel front-facing shooter, WiFi and Bluetooth.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why? I'm at a loss. I get production tablets, but this doesn't seem to be that. It just seems to be an oversized tablet with meh specs for the price.

BTW thinking of doing a mini Nexus 7 review after I use this for a day if yall are interested.

tzare

So I'm thinking about going with another Xperia, mainly because not all phones that people have recommended earlier are available in my area and don't really have any intent in purchasing one online after the kind of problems my sis had.

Anyway, it's between the M, L and T:

M is the cheapest, but still isn't out here yet. The people at the store had no idea when they would get, but a release should be really close. €230

T costs €350, but I get €100 cashback from Sony. Almost a year old now, though and I'm not really sold on large sized phones.

L would set me back €270. Pretty recent phone, but it's a bit over my already increased budget. Looks good though.

Which one, help me please. I literally got no experience with smartphones.
I can't talk about M or L, but i own a T and i am very happy with it, and size wise is not that bigger than M or L but the screen is way better and you may consider it as all of them use on screen android buttons so the extra size i would say it matters, plus it is 720p too. It is quite powerful, and almost the same as SP (better GPU mainly). If it had 2GB of ram it would be awesome but it performs really well regardless. I'd say it is the best dual core out there with SP (maybe MotoX would be the best when launched , basically due to ram). PLus it is quite affordable, less than 300€ in amazon right now.

potam

Banned
So, AndroidGAF, I'm toying with the idea of switching back to Android. I'm waiting until the next iPhone announcement to make any decision, but right now I'm thinking about the HTC One on Verizon.

So...really what I'm getting at is this: are there any big updates on the horizon? Would I be wise to hold off until fall?

tzare

BTW, about that Honami Mini.IS 4.3 screen with on screen buttons confrmed? Because i'd like a slightly bigger screen, 4.55 like my T would be ideal imo, with a thin bezel

Cipherr

So, AndroidGAF, I'm toying with the idea of switching back to Android. I'm waiting until the next iPhone announcement to make any decision, but right now I'm thinking about the HTC One on Verizon.

So...really what I'm getting at is this: are there any big updates on the horizon? Would I be wise to hold off until fall?

The new HTC and Samsung Flagships wont be around until late Q1 early Q2 of 2014, so you are fine on that front.

This fall a new Galaxy Note (Big ass phones with stylus) and a new Nexus phone will launch. That should be all of note for the remainder of this year.

potam

Banned
The new HTC and Samsung Flagships wont be around until late Q1 early Q2 of 2014, so you are fine on that front.

This fall a new Galaxy Note (Big ass phones with stylus) and a new Nexus phone will launch. That should be all of note for the remainder of this year.

Aight, thanks.

What about software? I'm hearing maybe an October announcement for 5.0?

Salsa

found some guy reporting the same issue I had with the vertical lines on grey screens and whatnot on superamoled

every response seemed to be "that's common with amoled screens", so im a bit reassured

not sure how much you can see it here, but his pics:

http://imageshack.us/user/gnote111

bild4ht.jpg

(noticeable on the right)

it aint that big a deal, but amoled turned out to have more issues than what I was expecting

based IPS

kehs

Banned
Speaking of Old Moto vs New Moto

Droid Ulta vs Moto X quick comparison:

I'll be blunt: Where the Moto X is elegant, simple, and understated, the Droid Ultra is big, loud, and in your face. The soft materials and carefully crafted curves of the X are traded for a harsh, glossy plastic box that's hard on the eyes and clunky in the hands

Factor in the scattered UI changes and extra mess of bloatware baked into the Droid Ultra, and -- well, pardon my bluntness, but the device looks kind of like a Moto X that's been vomited on by a Verizon monster.

Refuse-related analogies aside, I think the best way to sum it up is this: Using the Droid Ultra feels like using the Moto X if the phone had been designed by the Motorola of two years ago instead of the Motorola of today. It's like seeing what the Moto X -- a standout smartphone that's a delight to use -- might have been if its designers had made several stumbles along the way.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/android/22674/moto-x-vs-droid-ultra-comparison

Quasar

My ChromeCast finally arrived.

Pretty happy sofar. The biggest annoyance is google hard coding dns settings for it. Meant a few more hoops to get around geolocks.

Stream negotiation is a bit slower than I expected. But hey its a usb stick.

Really look forward to seeing a gruntier device with ethernet that supports googlecast. And more apps that support it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Moooore piiiicccsssssss

Pyro is right, there's a disturbing lack of photographic evidence when people get new hardware. Need to see dem ports and curves

I'll take some more when I get back to my casa later.

If there is anything else you want to see let me know! I just won't pretend I take the best pics is all. :p

gcubed

They're targeting them at completely different audiences (contract/subsidized vs. off-contract/unsubsidized), so I don't see why the Nexus 5 can't be sold at a similar price point as the Nexus 4. (Though I'd imagine it will be a bit higher.)

In any case, I think it would be wise for Google to keep the Moto X out of the Play Store.

yeah, but the rumor is a nexus 4 and a nexus 5, which would mean both would be off contract unsubsidized, and if the rumor of Moto Nexus 4, it would make sense to be basically the Moto X, so then my question is, since the current Nexus device is priced so "low" how would they price the 4 to be below the 5 without just destroying the retail chances of the Moto X

yeah, but the rumor is a nexus 4 and a nexus 5, which would mean both would be off contract unsubsidized, and if the rumor of Moto Nexus 4, it would make sense to be basically the Moto X, so then my question is, since the current Nexus device is priced so "low" how would they price the 4 to be below the 5 without just destroying the retail chances of the Moto X

If that rumor pans out, I'm guessing they will go with $300 (N4) and $400 (N5).

kehs

Banned
He is comparing a non Verizon X with a Verizon Droid. I think he needs to look at a Verizon phone from both before judging the UI tweaks as those may well be identical if directed by Verizon.

And in any case, his nitpicks seem very very subtle.

The verizon x only has their shitty sports and contactsync app on it, as far as I know, so I think it's still an apt comparison.

Because the Nexus phones are almost entirely sold online and off-contract, and the average American cell phone user has no concept of contract-free prepaid wireless.

Unless Google resumes selling Nexus phones on-contract through all of the major carriers (which, after the Galaxy Nexus/Verizon fiasco, seems unlikely), it has little chance of cannibalizing Moto X sales.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The verizon x only has their shitty sports and contactsync app on it, as far as I know, so I think it's still an apt comparison.

That would be nice. But I guess I need to see the full review, because so far his nitpicks are too minor for it to seemingly justify a purchase one way or the other. I think the Maxx may well give the X a run for its money, particularly since its $199 on Wirefly.

HawkeyeIC

That would be nice. But I guess I need to see the full review, because so far his nitpicks are too minor for it to seemingly justify a purchase one way or the other. I think the Maxx may well give the X a run for its money, particularly since its $199 on Wirefly.

Maxx is just soooo ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom