• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

The battery situation really needs to be solved soon though. As much as I like high density displays I'd rather they perfect 1080 displays with 48h battery life.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The battery situation really needs to be solved soon though. As much as I like high density displays I'd rather they perfect 1080 displays with 48h battery life.

Biggest thing is companies need to work on their display tech beyond just pixel count. Color accuracy, brightness, viewing angles are all important too.

That being said I think the 4th gen iPad gets solid battery despite having such a high res display.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tablets are a much different beast. They can have far bigger batteries and most of them don't have to worry about 3G/LTE.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tablets are a much different beast. They can have far bigger batteries and most of them don't have to worry about 3G/LTE.

I don't disagree.

I'd rather see HTC perfect their already awesome SLCD3 display in the HTC One verses just upping the Pixel count. I DO see value in 1080 displays over 720 though.

Groof

Biggest thing is companies need to work on their display tech beyond just pixel count. Color accuracy, brightness, viewing angles are all important too.

That being said I think the 4th gen iPad gets solid battery despite having such a high res display.
Yeah, I agree with that all the way. But honestly, at this point battery life is worse off than screen quality.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just opened Tasks in Gmail for the first time in about four years and I realized that it probably would have been Spring Clean'd a few springs ago but pretty much everyone's forgotten about it, lol.

Okay, so I use Google Voice as my primary number for my Nexus 4, and I also have the Hangouts plugin installed in my Chrome desktop browser.

About ten minutes ago, I got a call through Google Voice, and a split second before my phone rang, I got a pop-up through the Hangouts plugin telling me that I had a call coming through Hangouts.

This hasn't happened to me before. Anyone else experience this? Maybe I'm just totally behind the times or something, but I've just never seen Hangouts respond to my Google Voice number.

Nicktendo86

Hey, I go on honeymoon to the Dominican republic on Friday and Google now is now showing me the Dominican weather as well as local. Been said before but I say it again, Google now is magical.

rc213

Okay, so I use Google Voice as my primary number for my Nexus 4, and I also have the Hangouts plugin installed in my Chrome desktop browser.

About ten minutes ago, I got a call through Google Voice, and a split second before my phone rang, I got a pop-up through the Hangouts plugin telling me that I had a call coming through Hangouts.

This hasn't happened to me before. Anyone else experience this? Maybe I'm just totally behind the times or something, but I've just never seen Hangouts respond to my Google Voice number.

I use Google voice with the same email as hangouts and that has happened a few times. I only use the Google voice number for Craigslist transactions though. You can make phone calls through hangouts to cell and home numbers uses your Google voice number.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple needs to work on massive battery length. That's the only way other manufacturers will follow. Whatever Apple does, everyone else copies. Touch screens, on screen keyboards, high res displays, beautiful designs. That's my biggest hope for the iPhone 6 of 2014. It won't happen with this 5S model.

I get it and it is awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apple needs to work on massive battery length. That's the only way other manufacturers will follow. Whatever Apple does, everyone else copies. Touch screens, on screen keyboards, high res displays, beautiful designs. That's my biggest hope for the iPhone 6 of 2014. It won't happen with this 5S model.

Actually, the original Droid kicked off the Res Wars™.

FWVGA (854 x 480) vs. the then-iPhone's HVGA (480 x 320.)

if they start that war even with 48 hour battery life, we could be talking all week life in a year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Well, maybe but truly, nope. Nothing matched the iPhone 4's screen for maybe 2 years. Not just pixels. That beautiful glass being fused closer to the pixels. Blew my mind when I first saw it.

if they start that war even with 48 hour battery life, we could be talking all week life in a year.

Ha, yeah, that's usually how Android manufacturers work. That would be awesome.

kehs

Banned

I was blown away by how shitty the resolution was on the iphone.

First time I saw it...wtfisthishit since I was rocking the nexus one, and my previous phone was a t-mo htc shadow was blessed with a vga screen at 2.6" which is like 300ppi or something like that.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Took a few attempts, but I finally have my T-Mo Galaxy S4 rooted with Google Edition 4.3 flashed, and apps2SD working perfectly

feeling like this guy for the first time since i ditched my shitty VZW G-Nex and started the process of hacking/customizing this new phone

LtNDbKz.png

Talon

Li-Ion power density can only get so far. It's a problem a ton of people are trying to solve.

It's actually easier to attack it from the opposite end - the consumption side.

A Chem E friend that designs robots for the Army and I had a good talk about this a year ago. Obviously he could explain it better, but his rough statement was that it's basically tapped out at the price point that consumer electronics firms demand.

If they're willing to pay 10, 20, 30 times more with much lower yields then there are options out there.

PaulLFC

I'm pretty sure of the answer to this but I thought it best to check first.

My friend just got a new Android phone (not sure of the make) and she says it has some strange ideas like swiping to open apps instead of tapping - if I tell her to install a different launcher like Nova and she wants to go back to the default, can she just uninstall Nova through Google Play and that's it?

I think so, just checking - I know there's a 'clear defaults' way etc but I don't know how the phone is set up settings-wise without being able to see it.

kehs

Banned

My friend just got a new Android phone (not sure of the make) and she says it has some strange ideas like swiping to open apps instead of tapping - if I tell her to install a different launcher like Nova and she wants to go back to the default, can she just uninstall Nova through Google Play and that's it?

I think so, just checking - I know there's a 'clear defaults' way etc but I don't know how the phone is set up settings-wise without being able to see it.

Yeah, as soon as she uninstalls nova it'll go back to the default launcher. If there's another launcher installed, it'll prompt you to pick one.

what phone? and uninstalling the 3rd party launcher will revert to the default one yes.

-PXG-

Groof

Guys, help me... I think I'm falling for the whole motomaker thing... Even though it'll probably never come here.

Display Test

So someone did a completely unscientific test on all the popular mobile displays out there but it illustrates what I think about all of them you really need to be looking for the smallest differences to spot them.

At this point I fail to see any kind of difference between the displays, viewing angles were surprisingly good on all who views their phone at angles greater than 160 degrees anyway.

Zapages

My Galaxy S2 on stock rom (4.1.2) keeps on crashing with the message of Google framework has crashed. Basically my android keeps on restarting, which is causing me this problem. It was working perfectly before and I have not placed custom roms on my phone. All I have Launcher EX+, but that shouldn't be causing a problem.

Its getting annoying with constant rebooting. :| I like the phone, but I don't like it keeps on crashing though. :(

Any suggestions?

Anyone guys? My cell phone keeps on restarting... :( Its becoming a real problem as the restarting drains the battery. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom