• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

Maxx is just soooo ugly.

The_Maxx_01_cover.jpg

He surely is.

Can't look at that name and not think of the comic.

He is comparing a non Verizon X with a Verizon Droid. I think he needs to look at a Verizon phone from both before judging the UI tweaks as those may well be identical if directed by Verizon.

And in any case, his nitpicks seem very very subtle.

wait, so the transparent nav buttons are stock now?

Is anyone getting a Maxx?

Yup. I'd get a Moto X, but it doesn't have the option for 32GB on Verizon right now. And my phone needs to be replaced. Main difference is the aesthetics and a .3" difference on the screen, so I'm cool with it. Plus I get extra-long battery life, which is nice since I can't replace it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Looking at the Killzone MP screens on my new Nexus 7 is fucking mind blowing.

Do you guys and gals want more Nexus pics? I might write my mini review of this device tonight IF GAF servers won't shit the bed.

Vanillalite

Chrome stable just updated for all! From the Google blog...

On Chrome on Android, we have improved scrolling and startup performance and are introducing WebRTC support that will enable video conversation directly in the browser without a plugin. Experience it over the coming days as the update rolls out to your device.

So evleaks says motorola is doing nexus 5? plz big battery plz big battery. And it will obviously retain Nexus 4 pricing. Pretty sure that's the whole point. But it will be funny when it obviously makes the moto x look like less value.

So evleaks says motorola is doing nexus 5? plz big battery plz big battery. And it will obviously retain Nexus 4 pricing. Pretty sure that's the whole point. But it will be funny when it obviously makes the moto x look like less value.

Keep the screen size, slim the bezels, reconfigure the design to have a larger battery without adding bulk. Better camera please, Snapdragon 800 with always on voice and 1080p screen. Probably best to move away from the glass back and make it customisable like the Moto X.

Hey presto, dream phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Keep the screen size, slim the bezels, reconfigure the design to have a larger battery without adding bulk. Better camera please, Snapdragon 800 with always on voice and 1080p screen. Probably best to move away from the glass back and make it customisable like the Moto X.

Hey presto, dream phone.

A dream phone that will cost $800.

MiKeD

Banned
I can't talk about M or L, but i own a T and i am very happy with it, and size wise is not that bigger than M or L but the screen is way better and you may consider it as all of them use on screen android buttons so the extra size i would say it matters, plus it is 720p too. It is quite powerful, and almost the same as SP (better GPU mainly). If it had 2GB of ram it would be awesome but it performs really well regardless. I'd say it is the best dual core out there with SP (maybe MotoX would be the best when launched , basically due to ram). PLus it is quite affordable, less than 300€ in amazon right now.

I went with the T, thanks for your input aswell.

Question, since this technological stuff is new to me: I got myself a task killer from the Play Store. With my old phone it greatly increased the battery life since it killed all apps and they didn't start up by themselves. However, with this new phone, a lot of apps just start up again without me even touching it. Is that a problem or should I just let it do its thing?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I went with the T, thanks for your input aswell.

Question, since this technological stuff is new to me: I got myself a task killer from the Play Store. With my old phone it greatly increased the battery life since it killed all apps and they didn't start up by themselves. However, with this new phone, a lot of apps just start up again without me even touching it. Is that a problem or should I just let it do its thing?

Don't use a task killer.

Hey presto, dream phone.
honestly, I'm down with the same size as the moto x or smaller. As for camera, I obviously want better but that's more of a software thing at this point so I don't care about the sensor THAT much. For screen I'm totally fine with 720p. For processor I'm perfectly fine with snapdragon 600 but will happily take 800. As for battery, I know I want a huge one but I'm reasonably hoping for a MINIMUM of 2500mah. On a 720p screen and overall efficient phone that should be really solid. Obviously would prefer 3000mah though.

so the Sprint LG G2 may be tri-band LTE, but it doesn't have the proper antenna paths to support SVDO or SVLTE... only the 2nd Sprint LTE device to not support SVLTE...

I think google is going to go with 2 nexus phones this year. One will be a Nexus 4 part 2 and by that I just mean a low cost one. Then an expensive one that goes all out on specs and whatnot. One made by motorola and one by LG.

There's a semi-reliable rumour pointing to each. Maybe they're both true.

If you're referring to their recent tweet, they actually meant Motorola was doing the Nexus 4 v2, somewhat corroborating Tyler Wimberly's claim that there would be two Nexii this year.

-PXG-

LG Just Announced Quad High Def 5.5-inch 2560 x 1440 Display

Yep

LG Display, a leading innovator of display technologies, announced today that it has developed the world’s first Quad HD AH-IPS LCD panel for smartphones. At 2560X1440 with 538ppi, the new 5.5-inch Quad HD panel is the highest resolution and ppi (pixel per inch) mobile panel to date, and provides a glimpse at what’s next after current Full HD smartphone panels, critical given the growing trend towards larger displays.

“LG Display, which pioneered the high resolution mobile market with introduction of the world’s first Full HD smartphone panel in 2012, again opens new possibilities with the successful application of QHD technology,” said Dr. Byeong-koo Kim, Vice President and Head of LG Display’s IT and Mobile Development Group. “With this breakthrough, LG Display will continue to raise new standards for mobile resolution and lead the mobile display market.”

LG Display’s Quad HD panel for smartphones realizes clearer images with 4 times more pixels than HD at 1,280X720, thereby reproducing more delicate colors as well as improving contrast and vividness when compared to current mobile displays. This advancement will enable consumers to fully enjoy more life-like and crisp images, and even Blu-ray equivalent video, on their smartphones. The panel also features the highest ppi among current mobile device displays.

In addition, the new Quad HD panel will enable users to enjoy a full view of PC-version web pages at a single glance without image distortion; a contrast to current Full HD displays which only realize 3/4th of a full screen. Also, even when enlarging the screen, users will be able to enjoy undistorted and sharper text.

Only 1.21mm thin with a 1.2mm bezel measured in LCD modules (LCM), LG Display’s new Quad HD panel is both the world’s slimmest and narrowest panel, with 12% reduced thickness compared to the company’s 5.2-inch Full HD panel released last month. Based on Low Temperature Poly-Silicon (LTPS) substrate, the panel also realizes superior brightness of 430nit with improved transmittance and larger aperture opening size.

LTPS-based smartphone displays are expected to record 765 million units in shipments next year according to research firm DisplaySearch, as displays with larger screens, higher resolution, and less power consumption prove key to competitiveness in the premium model segment.

Market Outlook: Displays for LTPS-based smartphone

http://lgdnewsroom.com/press_releases/2734

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Now if only LG could innovate some build quality lol.

The Moto X is a value? lol

Edit- I'd rather have LG quality with a good screen than anything Motorola can get out of the parts bin plus a bigger battery. Poor Nexus users... There's never a full package

Now if only LG could innovate some build quality lol.

The Moto X is a value? lol

Edit- I'd rather have LG quality with a good screen than anything Motorola can get out of the parts bin plus a bigger battery. Poor Nexus users... There's never a full package

HTC One or gs4 gpe. only gsm carriers though..

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
HTC One then. Don't be fooled by Samsung's garbage Super AMOLED display. Your eyes will thank me when they don't see those smeared blacks running down the screen.

Incoming Samsung GAF hive lol.

The Galaxy S4 and HTC One also don't support svlte. Seems like they're moving away from that for some reason.

they both support SVLTE but not SVDO. their predecessors, the EVO LTE and GS3 supported SVDO and SVLTE. iirc, while many devices are missing SVDO on Sprint, only the iPhone 5 and LG G2 are missing SVLTE.

LG Just Announced Quad High Def 5.5-inch 2560 x 1440 Display

Life's Good.

What's triband LTE? Does that mean it should work for Verizon and ATT for data (not voice)? And what's SVLTE?
SVLTE = simultaneous voice and LTE data. almost every LTE handset on Sprint has it.
SVDO = simultaneous voice and 3G data. this is much less common.

Tri-Band LTE in reference to Sprint means LTE on Band 25 (1900MHz [their currently used LTE band]), Band 26 (800MHz [their recently decommissioned Nextel spectrum]) and Band 41 (2500MHz [their huge chunk of Clearwire spectrum])

Mobile SoC GPUs are nowhere near the point where they can drive such a display. There aren't many laptop GPUs which can even drive that. But good job there I guess LG.

-PXG-

HTC One then. Don't be fooled by Samsung's garbage Super AMOLED display. Your eyes will thank me when they don't see those smeared blacks running down the screen.

Incoming Samsung GAF hive lol.

I don't have smeared blacks on my GS4. I guess I'm on some next level shit

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think google is going to go with 2 nexus phones this year. One will be a Nexus 4 part 2 and by that I just mean a low cost one. Then an expensive one that goes all out on specs and whatnot. One made by motorola and one by LG.

There's a semi-reliable rumour pointing to each. Maybe they're both true.
Why? The Nexus 4 went all out on specs. It even included LTE. Why would they downgrade the phone?

Everyone forgets the N4 was top of the line on release. Google made no compromises but LTE. And that wasn't even a hardware issue, it was a network issue.

Why? The Nexus 4 went all out on specs. It even included LTE. Why would they downgrade the phone?

Everyone forgets the N4 was top of the line on release. Google made no compromises but LTE. And that wasn't even a hardware issue, it was a network issue.
Was it? I can't remember if the S4 pro was semi-outdated (in android terms) when it came out. I thought it was.

Either way as long as they retain the price point I'm glad.

Arkanius

Was it? I can't remember if the S4 pro was semi-outdated (in android terms) when it came out. I thought it was.

S4 Pro was top of the line when Nexus 4 came out.
And it still is. I dont really think Snapdragon 800 is a cellphone SoC.

Vanillalite

Mobile SoC GPUs are nowhere near the point where they can drive such a display. There aren't many laptop GPUs which can even drive that. But good job there I guess LG.

My thoughts as well ergo my comment above. IPad gets away with it cause it is a tablet and can run a beefer SoC. Don't think phone SoCs are there yet.

What the hell is this extra LTE thing people are going on about? If it's LTE Max, which runs on the 2600mhz frequency then the S4 does support it. HTC One doesn't though.

Edit: Nevermind it was answered above and I missed it. I can't believe some phones in the states don't support talking and data at the same time. Was is this medieval stuff?

Talon

What the hell is this extra LTE thing people are going on about? If it's LTE Max, which runs on the 2600mhz frequency then the S4 does support it. HTC One doesn't though.

Edit: Nevermind it was answered above and I missed it. I can't believe some phones in the states don't support talking and data at the same time. Was is this medieval stuff?
Verizon doesn't want it, so Sprint doesn't always get it.

Zapages

My Galaxy S2 on stock rom (4.1.2) keeps on crashing with the message of Google framework has crashed. Basically my android keeps on restarting, which is causing me this problem. It was working perfectly before and I have not placed custom roms on my phone. All I have Launcher EX+, but that shouldn't be causing a problem.

Its getting annoying with constant rebooting. :| I like the phone, but I don't like it keeps on crashing though. :(

Any suggestions?

Groof

I'm honestly excited to see displays of such high resolutions in mobile devices. We might be ways off from seeing any practical use of them, but the thought of a time where they'll be standard gets me all giddy

Nicktendo86

I'm honestly excited to see displays of such high resolutions in mobile devices. We might be ways off from seeing any practical use of them, but the thought of a time where they'll be standard gets me all giddy
Same, these will be the screens on our phones when we upgrade in two years so is exciting to see now.

S4 pro was the best of the best at the time. Stronger GPU than previous phones and a quad core Krait rather than quad A9 in the GS3 which was weaker.

SD800 and Exynos 5420 have GPUs that can!

Verizon doesn't want it, so Sprint doesn't always get it.

and Verizon is getting ready to switch on VoLTE and phase out their CDMA service for good.

4k displays...8 hours of battery.....10 minutes screen time. Or just give us 6000 mah batteries lol

they can fit a lot of battery behind a 5.5" panel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom